PDA

View Full Version : Russia to ban Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, replace with "patriotic" programming

JoeE
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1733550.ece#OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

THE Kremlin wants to ban US television shows The Simpsons and South Park and replace them with more patriotic programmes for kids.

Russian channel 2x2 is already facing a criminal investigation for broadcasting an episode of South Park that allegedly promoted religious hatred.

And now the Kremlin has begun hearings on whether to revoke the channel's licence as punishment for showing episodes of the 'extremist' American cartoons.

Human rights activist Lev Ponomarev said: "The wish to create a youth patriotic channel is one of many attempts by the authorities at indoctrinating and brainwashing the young."

The cartoon-under-fire featured South Park favourite Mr Hanky, a talking faeces, who emerges every Christmas Eve to give presents to children with fibre-rich diets.

But prosecutors also claimed that The Simpsons and Family Guy violate the rights of children.

Matt Jay
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Here we go again.

Ashwin Pande
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Well.. it's the Sun. Not the most credible source.

Jerome Gibbons
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Are they being replaced with Worker and Parasite?

Dr. Hackenbush
09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
But prosecutors also claimed that The Simpsons and Family Guy violate the rights of children.

Heh. That's funny... a Russian govt. official complaining of rights violations.:no:

RickLM
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
The Youth Patriotic Channel can't be worse than the Game Show Network.

Marcdachamp
09-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Uh oh. Spider-Sense is going crazy.

Rivka
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Here we go again.

Holy crap. Those were the exact words that just escaped my lips as I read the post above.

Here we go again.

Before the explosion of satellite dish technology, about 10 years ago or so, when Comedy Central was just starting off, and SciFi Channel, too, my local cable company refused to carry them. There have been attempts made in the US regionally to ban these programs, too, and successfully in certain places.

I feel so sorry for Russian kids, but two things occur to me: (1) It will make the attempt at censorship and banning of such programs more difficult here in the USofA (just tell the would-be inquisitors that Russian does it, and we're not like Russia, are we), and (2) Russian kids will still be able to get episodes from their computers and satellite dishes and if they live on the borders of other countries (unless Russia takes over those countries again). Forcing kids to watch "patriotic programming" and banning the good stuff that they can get without too much trouble, but still feel rebellious about getting, will only serve to create a whole new generation of Russian youth who value freedom and won't be bullied.

Anyone with kids knows, it does no good to try and censor their tv or music or movies. They can get this stuff anyway, and it just makes them feel more empowered, stubborn, and rebellious.

rogerio
09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
The Cold War II is coming...:scared:

majorjoe23
09-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Someone needs to make a gif of the reawakened Soviet Union on The Simpsons.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-25-2008, 12:08 PM
(2) Russian kids will still be able to get episodes from their computers and satellite dishes and if they live on the borders of other countries (unless Russia takes over those countries again). Forcing kids to watch "patriotic programming" and banning the good stuff that they can get without too much trouble, but still feel rebellious about getting, will only serve to create a whole new generation of Russian youth who value freedom and won't be bullied.

If they're inclined to ban those cartoons what makes you think they won't go so far as to censor the internet like China does?

Ray G.
09-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Bah! Russia is not returning to old days! Communism is way of the past! Prepare for glorious Fascist regime!

Roman Noodles
09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Do I smell a "Blame Russia" musical number coming along . . . no, just me? Darn.

Bald Steve
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
And so it begins, comrades.

Wigner's Friend
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
They could replace them with North Korea's most popular show, Communist Approved Haircuts. It's the Watchmen of style propaganda.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40701000/jpg/_40701619_body_203.jpg

stevapalooza
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
The patriotic programming will consist of episodes of Bullwinkle re-edited to make it look like Boris and Natasha win in every episode.

Generic Poster
09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
In Soviet Union, TV watches you!

Ha! I can't believe no one had done that yet.

PeterSparker
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Next fall on Russia's Patriotic channel, "The Skovorodkas". Tune in sunday night comrades for the zany antics of Fyodor and Anoushka Skovorodka, and their full blooded Russian children, Georgi, Lidiya, and little Petrova. Hilarity ensues as the The Skovorodkas spit on capitalist pigs who would bring ruin and shame to the motherland.

Rivka
09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
If they're inclined to ban those cartoons what makes you think they won't go so far as to censor the internet like China does?

From what I understand, the censorship is inconsistent in different parts of the country, and there are ways around it that thousands of young people use every day.

But what I was thinking about was, that Russia isn't the Soviet Union any more. It's surrounded by a bunch of smaller countries, especially in the west. There is no way the government can block broadcasts. They probably can't block the internet very well, either. Or rather, the Russian authorities would have to go to a LOT of trouble to block satellites and television broadcasts from the surrounding countries, let alone everywhere else in the world.

Not to mention, people could smuggle in DVDs and tapes, as people have been doing for decades.

If the story is true, it shows how idiotic any kind of censorship is, especially in a situation like this, where it will not stop the young people of Russia from finding the cartoons, and it will only make the cartoons all the more valuable and empowering than they ever were before.