PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cornell worked with Timbaland on this new album?!

Evan Wiener
09-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Now I know specifically who Weezer was talking about in "Pork and Beans".

It's just terrible. We lose another great talent to terrible dancy pop!?

WillieLee
09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Have you heard the track?

Evan Wiener
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you heard the track?

Yeah, not a fan.

Kody
09-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Is this "Carry On" or some new album?

I absolutely LOVE "Euphoria Morning," and I think it's the single most underrated album in recent years. But "Carry On" is absolute trash.

Hopefully Cornell can get his shit together cause I think the guy can really bring the goods if his heart is behind it.

Zeppe
09-19-2008, 05:31 AM
I miss Soundgarden.

I thought Audioslave might be cool, but it just didn't click. I like Chris a bit better when he's rocking out.

Evan Wiener
09-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Is this "Carry On" or some new album?

I absolutely LOVE "Euphoria Morning," and I think it's the single most underrated album in recent years. But "Carry On" is absolute trash.

Hopefully Cornell can get his shit together cause I think the guy can really bring the goods if his heart is behind it.

No, specifically the song "Watch Out". It's terrible. Ground Zero is decent, but sounds like Gnarles Barkley.

Here's a post from the Chris Cornell website regarding the new album, which quotes NY Times preview:

Chris Cornell in New York Times Fall Music Preview (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/arts/music/07wpoplist.html?pagewanted=9&_r=1)

The New Season | Pop Listings

Some Chartmakers to Be: Metal Gods and Idols Past

CHRIS CORNELL

Bye-bye, grunge — well, almost. Mr. Cornell, a grunge pioneer as the lead singer of Soundgarden, worked with the producer Timbaland for his third solo album, “Scream,” and their collaboration places his brooding voice amid Timbaland’s synthesizers and samples. The computerized tracks end up somewhere between Justin Timberlake and Gnarls Barkley, but his lyrics and his voice still hold that sullen grunge resentment. October. Interscope. (J. P.)

The above news item appeared in the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/arts/music/07wpoplist.html?pagewanted=9&_r=1) on September 7 2008. The precise release date for the album has not yet been announced.

Kody
09-19-2008, 05:43 AM
By the way, who the hell is Timbaland?

yeamon
09-19-2008, 05:44 AM
I miss Soundgarden.

I thought Audioslave might be cool, but it just didn't click. I like Chris a bit better when he's rocking out.

I'm with you. Hearing Audioslave or Cornell's solo stuff just makes me miss Soundgarden more.

Ryudo
09-19-2008, 06:18 AM
The first Audioslave album is the bee's knees.

Best track: Exploder

Dr. Hackenbush
09-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Euphoria Morning is fantastic. I love that album.

Unfortunately, everything Chris Cornell has put out after the first Audioslave album has been unbearable. And yes, I miss Soundgarden too. They're still my favorite band. Kim Thayil is one of a kind.

WillieLee
09-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Bye bye grunge? What kind of lead-in is that? Jesus, it's been 14 years NYT!

Evan Wiener
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM

A producer who works with many artists to give them a hip hop/pop/dance production, which often is done to sell more records. Many artists say they're just trying something new and different, but I think it's a sad way of getting album sales up and trying to appeal to a demo graphic that doesn't appreciate the music an artist excels at.

It just smacks of sell out, but maybe I'm wrong, and all these alternative and rock artists really do want to be pop/dance/hip hop stars. :-?

augie680
09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
PFFFFT at the Sellout stuff.

The only stuff I've heard so far is Long Gone, which is an awesome song. I've been listening to it a lot lately and its not nearly as dancy/weirdo as one would think.

It's easily my favorite Chris Cornell vocals track.

Granted, I absolutely loathe Grunge/Soundgarden, and other then Cochise, wasnt a fan of Audioslave at all.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Love both, so I suspect I'll enjoy this track.

Jason California
09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Timberland knows the way to reach the top of the charts.

Mozz
09-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I've heard 5 songs that were played on the radio. It's a big departure from the Cornell most people know. The way I see it, you'll like it or you won't. Personally, I don't. I think it's not the right sound for him.

I've followed the guy since Louder Than Love. I thought Euphoria Morning was a fantastic album, and Audioslave stuff was decent, but you could tell that it wasn't going to last - although some of the tracks on Revelations are brilliant (One And The Same, Shape Of Things To Come, Moth).

When I heard the Sweden acoustic show, I was excited to think that maybe Carry On was a second chapter to Euphoria Morning - more stripped singer/songwriter style. Maybe it was rushed, or maybe it suffered from an inconsistency from working on it too far apart (didn't he say he was working on a second solo album since before Audioslave?), but Carry On was definitely weak. There are maybe two or three songs at the most that are good. The rest seem like half hearted ideas that are overproduced to sound finished.

This is just my opinion. Music, like any other art, is subjective. I'll be skipping this one and hope for Cornell to rediscover his singer/songwriter craft one day.

TheKraken
09-19-2008, 10:46 AM

The most consistently innovative and interesting producer in hip hop over the last 12 years or so if you asked me. I'd be more interested in his half of the collaboration than Cornell's at this point. I'm with you on Euphoria Morning vs. Carry On. Especially that cover of "Billie Jean"... that wasn't even funny-bad...

Bandit Chimera
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I just need to say I saw him in concert summer of 07 and he was fucking bagging. He did a little bit of everything hes ever done at the show (even newer stuff) and he did not disappoint. I dunno what the new stuff sounds like (i'm to poor right now to buy it) but i'll give it a shot when i can :)

Tom Burgos
09-19-2008, 11:18 AM
The most consistently innovative and interesting producer in hip hop over the last 12 years or so if you asked me. I'd be more interested in his half of the collaboration than Cornell's at this point. I'm with you on Euphoria Morning vs. Carry On. Especially that cover of "Billie Jean"... that wasn't even funny-bad...

See, I do love pop music and shit, and I think Timbaland was innovative 5 0r 6 years ago, but honestly...lately he's been phoning it in...and cannibalizing himself; his beats for Justin Timberlake's Sexyback are identical to The Way I Are, and his work on Madonna's Hard Candy is a carbon copy of his work on Nelly Furtado's Loose.
Damn, there's a ballad in Hard Candy called Even The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You that is (seriously) a clone of Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River.

I truly miss his work with Missy Elliott, their joint shit was awesome and really creative.

Not saying he is crap, but he is been lazy as of late, imo

LenNWallace
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
I loved Soundgarden and I'll echo everyone's praise of Euphoria Morning. Carry On wasn't great, but I didn't hate it. EM was and still is one of my all time favorite albums, so I'll be checking out the new album... Go ahead and boo all you want. It's a different sound, but I dug what I heard of Ground Zero.

TheKraken
09-19-2008, 01:21 PM
See, I do love pop music and shit, and I think Timbaland was innovative 5 0r 6 years ago, but honestly...lately he's been phoning it in...and cannibalizing himself; his beats for Justin Timberlake's Sexyback are identical to The Way I Are, and his work on Madonna's Hard Candy is a carbon copy of his work on Nelly Furtado's Loose.
Damn, there's a ballad in Hard Candy called Even The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You that is (seriously) a clone of Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River.

I truly miss his work with Missy Elliott, their joint shit was awesome and really creative.

Not saying he is crap, but he is been lazy as of late, imo

I am not really into his current flirtation with 90s rave synth, but once again, songs are popping up everywhere copying it. He's still ahead of the curve even when he's disappointing.

Evan Wiener
09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Timbaland lost me with the Nelly Fortado thing. Ugh...