PDA

View Full Version : I just rediscovered comics for the first time all over again...

NeverWanderer
09-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Remember when you used to be able to go down to the local family-owned liquor store/grocery store/video store/print shop/deli/kwik-e-mart and you'd find a row of plastic bags containing three random comics that you could buy for a couple bucks?

At first there was always a reason to get them... One or both of the comics showing on either side that you wanted, and were willing to accept whatever mystery meat was sandwiched in between them. Of course, after a while, you lucked out on enough mystery meat that just decided to buy every one you came across, just because?

Remember that?

Well that happened to me today.

My wife and I were picking up dinner from the Thai place on the corner, and we stopped in the little liquor-mart to get something to drink.

I approach the register, and underneath it, tucked in a corner next to out-dated magazines and indian DVDs and music CDs...

Were exactly FIVE of these bags, touting 3 comics for $2.99.

Two of the facing issues were comics that I, amazingly, REALLY wanted, and had wanted for quite a while (years, in one case).

How could I resist? I got them. Grinning ear to ear, I left the store, having decided I would come back later in the week and buy the rest of them, just for old time's sake...

But then I got to thinking. When I was a kid, these little grab-bag deals were EXACTLY how I rediscovered and fueled my love of comics once upon a time. How could I deprive some other kid of the opportunity to discover these comics? To fall headfirst into our favorite addiction?

So, no, I will not be getting the rest of them, tempted as I may be.

Besides, these six were a pretty decent haul.

These are the comics I was after:
http://a105.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_fb8b1974168b7546940e1085bd05fc68.jpg
(That first issue of Wonder Man is the one that really floored me... HOW many people in the WORLD even gave a shit about that series? And y'know how I discovered it? The 3 for $1 bin at the neighborhood copy place back in Queens. That is the ONE issue I was missing, too! FATE!!!)

These were the comics on the other side:
http://a639.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/94/l_831b0d53955b42447efc6648dc3de006.jpg

And these were the mystery meats:
http://a634.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/49/l_c8a8b92ba8b887daa1fdf981399374c9.jpg

Twelve-year-old me is satisfied.

Dave Carrig
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM
That is pretty cool - There is a street vendor just outside of Jefferson Hospital on 11th street here in Phili that sells these things - and he has a ton of em! My wife was in the hospital for a six week stint a couple of years ago and I would stop by that stand quite often. Some of those old comics got me through some pretty tough times. If you ever get to Phili check it out - you'd love it!

Thanks for putting up the pics -

c. page
09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Remember when you used to be able to go down to the local family-owned liquor store/grocery store/video store/print shop/deli/kwik-e-mart and you'd find a row of plastic bags containing three random comics that you could buy for a couple bucks?

At first there was always a reason to get them... One or both of the comics showing on either side that you wanted, and were willing to accept whatever mystery meat was sandwiched in between them. Of course, after a while, you lucked out on enough mystery meat that just decided to buy every one you came across, just because?

Remember that?

Well that happened to me today.

My wife and I were picking up dinner from the Thai place on the corner, and we stopped in the little liquor-mart to get something to drink.

I approach the register, and underneath it, tucked in a corner next to out-dated magazines and indian DVDs and music CDs...

Were exactly FIVE of these bags, touting 3 comics for $2.99.

Two of the facing issues were comics that I, amazingly, REALLY wanted, and had wanted for quite a while (years, in one case).

How could I resist? I got them. Grinning ear to ear, I left the store, having decided I would come back later in the week and buy the rest of them, just for old time's sake...

But then I got to thinking. When I was a kid, these little grab-bag deals were EXACTLY how I rediscovered and fueled my love of comics once upon a time. How could I deprive some other kid of the opportunity to discover these comics? To fall headfirst into our favorite addiction?

So, no, I will not be getting the rest of them, tempted as I may be.

Besides, these six were a pretty decent haul.

These are the comics I was after:
http://a105.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_fb8b1974168b7546940e1085bd05fc68.jpg
(That first issue of Wonder Man is the one that really floored me... HOW many people in the WORLD even gave a shit about that series? And y'know how I discovered it? The 3 for $1 bin at the neighborhood copy place back in Queens. FATE!!!)

These were the comics on the other side:
http://a639.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/94/l_831b0d53955b42447efc6648dc3de006.jpg

And these were the mystery meats:
http://a634.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/49/l_c8a8b92ba8b887daa1fdf981399374c9.jpg

Twelve-year-old me is satisfied.

how many kids are stopping by the liquor-mart in your town? :mistrust:

i think you're probably safe in grabbing those books.

Kingsumo
09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
That is awesome Wanderer.

And hopefully some wide eyed 12 year old will go and find them :)

NeverWanderer
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
how many kids are stopping by the liquor-mart in your town? :mistrust:

i think you're probably safe in grabbing those books.

It's a liquor store/grocery store. I just picked up some gatorades and a diet coke there, and there WAS a kid leaving the store as I went in. :)

There is hope!

NeverWanderer
09-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I just flipped through that Bisley comic.

Christ, that would have defined my entire outlook on comics when I was 12. :shock:

I'm glad one of the facing comics in the other three was another Melting Pot issue. :twisted:

PimpSlapStick!
09-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Damn man you seriously brought back some memories, they should bring those back.

With good comics of course

Kman00001
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Melting Pot! Nice!

The Wonder Man series was referenced quite often in the Avengers Two: Wonder Man/Beast mini that came out 10 or so years ago, drawn by Mark Bagley.

greg donovan
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
i remember the local toys r us had some grab bags liek that a while back.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
I blame these 3-packs for my obsession with Kirby's Fourth World. I got a few as a kid that had actual 70s Kirby Miracle Man issues in them. Blew my mind.

Ashwin Pande
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
You know they actually ship some of those bags that don't sell there, here.

They sell them here for about $2.

David Aspmo
09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
The first comics I purchased with my own money were three-packs of Transformers and G.I.Joe that I impulse bought from the register aisle at Toys R Us.

Although that didn't lead to my being a hard-core collector at the time (that didn't happen until Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles brought me into my local comic store for the first time, and the Eastman/Laird book blew my 10-year-old mind - and on that note: Melting Pot, nice :cool:), it definitely planted the seeds (I wouldn't have even known there were TMNT comics if it weren't for ads in those G.I.Joe comics).

David Aspmo

hamgmt
09-16-2008, 03:39 AM
that ex-mutants book is early ron lim, right? i remember getting that when it was new. i don't remember what made me get it...maybe "mutants" in the name...?

-bob

BronxRonin
09-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Recently Toys r us was doing this here in NYC.

joespam
09-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Recently Toys r us was doing this here in NYC.Mine has a few, but the bags are ten bucks, and it really doesn't look like there's a third issue in there.

5 bucks a pop for 90's crap that wouldn't sell in the quarter bin? No thanks.

Pretty sure I have that issue of Ex-mutants, though.

Roger
09-16-2008, 04:30 AM
ex-muntants!!!!!
that was a great underrated comic

Travis M. Bierwagen
09-16-2008, 07:08 AM
One of the music/video/book stores here, which actually has one of those spinner racks full of NEW releases, also had some comic grab bags... but they wanted $5.99 for 'em.

mec
09-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I can't ever remember buying those bags. I do remember looking at them, manipulating them to try to see what was in the middle. Then again, I somehow had an issue of Avengers in the late seventies that came out in sixties -- The Avengers vs. mind-controlled original X-Men -- so maybe someone bought one of those bags for me.

Jef UK
09-16-2008, 07:18 AM
That's exactly how I got into X-Men as a kid. Uncanny X-Men issues would be packed with a GI Joe and a Transformers or a Conan the Barbarian (3 to a pack) at the local Target. I came for the G.I. Joe. I stayed for the Claremont / JRJR Uncanny X-Men.

ClintP
09-16-2008, 07:21 AM
It is funny how different everyone here is about comics. Those pictured comics are the last thing I would want to spend money on.

adam_warlock_2099
09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I always liked that Wonder Man series. I finally got the complete run a few years ago. I think the last one I needed was an annual.

JeremyDale
09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
I found some of those at a Toys R Us recently-- took it up to buy it and grabbed a 20 oz beverage to ring up.

They gave me change back-- I didn't pay a penny. Seriously. Apparently it was some promotional item of some sort, and it was shelved weird. Woo hoo free comics!

- jeremy