PDA

View Full Version : MTV's TRL: 1998-2008

Whip
09-15-2008, 05:09 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h24DPEzgpuk8NcAGZHvIaDkG5-lAD937D6UO0

MTV's 'Total Request Live' to conclude in November

3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) Time to start the countdown clock on MTV's countdown era: "Total Request Live" will soon leave the air after 10 years.

Dave Sirulnick, executive producer of "TRL," said Monday that the music video countdown show will conclude in a two-hour special on a Saturday afternoon in November. He stressed that the show wasn't ending for good, but felt now was the right time to give it a break after an unprecedented run on the cable music channel.

"TRL" debuted in September 1998 and became the splashy center of the teen pop music scene with Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, N'Sync and other acts. From its heydey until 2008, it's been a destination for musicians, movie stars and celebrities promoting their new music, movies and other projects.

Can't say that I'm ecstatic or anything, since I don't really watch MTV save for the Real World/Road Rules Challenges. It's not surprising, since the music in MTV died out long, long ago, but it's also kinda surreal -- I was thinking it'd last until I had kids. Huh.

Benel Germosen
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
And that's it, kids.

There is no more music on MTV.

Thommy Melanson
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Having lived through the tragic deaths of The Hard 60, The Hard 30, Dial MTV, 120 Minutes and the original Headbanger's Ball, I assure you TRL has gone to a better place...

...it'll live in our memories forever. ;)

TonyFleecs
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
And that's it, kids.

There is no more music on MTV.
I'm starting to think it's a cycle. Like this will go away-- MTV will be all THE HILLS. Then in a couple years, This'll pop back up and Maybe YO! MTV Raps & 120 Minutes will be cool again. But then, I'm an optimist.

Do they even do the late night videos anymore?

Michael Blacklist
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Nope.

Ethan Van Sciver
09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Where will N*Sync pretend to sing now?

Oh yeah. In hell.

Patton
09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm starting to think it's a cycle. Like this will go away-- MTV will be all THE HILLS. Then in a couple years, This'll pop back up and Maybe YO! MTV Raps & 120 Minutes will be cool again. But then, I'm an optimist.

Nope. They run those dating game shows like Who Wants to Bang My Mom? and Inspect My Room For Semen Stains.

Patrick J
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
... And there was much rejoicing

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
First MTV guts modern music of all its worth then they abandon it completely for reality television. MTV is a pop culture parasite.

Matt O'Keefe
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Do they need an extra hour for the new Paris Hilton reality show?

Evan the Shaggy
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
It had gotten so ridiculous. People would vote for songs and they would literally play less than 5 seconds of it before going to crowd reactions or going to some other shit.

MTV has three channels and NONE OF THEM PLAY MUSIC VIDEOS!

I have to watch Music TV HD to get my music needs on tv.

J Money
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I browsed, all I saw was the Sucker Free Countdown. If I ever watch MTV it's usually for Run's House, that's about it.

Ben Rosen
09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
People always want mtv to play music but would people really watch that? do people even listen to radio for new music these days?

rufusTfirefly
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
God, I haven't watched MTV in probably fifteen years or so? I can't believe I missed out on the whole TRL phenomenon...

*sigh*

Kedd
09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Other than the occasional episode of True Life or Made I never watch MTV. All the same, fare the well TRL, for it was you that blessed our bleak world with Carson Daly.

On second thought, good riddance

Ben Rosen
09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
i will say i'm pretty happy that i was at the exact right age to enjoy trl when it was at its peak. 1999 was so awesome.

Dark Sasha
09-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I want my MTV! Not this SHIT!

Evan the Shaggy
09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
People always want mtv to play music but would people really watch that? do people even listen to radio for new music these days?

Depends on the shows, but if they made something that covered the old 90s videos like MTV U, you bet your ass I would.

Matt O'Keefe
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM

No. And what I don't think people get is that if MTV did play music, it would be Chamillionaire, Ashlee Simpson, etc.

I want my MTV! Not this SHIT!

MTV has been shit for years, though.

Dark Sasha
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM

I was referring to
http://images.google.ca/url?q=http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/hehz/1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNG5mlt1GqPefiozc0MwGO0_yAXMAA

J Money
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

I know what you mean but they really should change their name or something.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
No. And what I don't think people get is that if MTV did play music, it would be Chamillionaire, Ashlee Simpson, etc.

I can't argue with any of that.

Benel Germosen
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Chamillionaire is actually awesome.

Dark Sasha
09-15-2008, 05:43 PM
They don't even play cool cartoons anymore.

Queen of the Ban Age
09-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Having lived through the tragic deaths of The Hard 60, The Hard 30, Dial MTV, 120 Minutes and the original Headbanger's Ball, I assure you TRL has gone to a better place...

...it'll live in our memories forever. ;)

Ahh, Dial MTV. Where else could I see the Home Sweet Home video each and every day?

Thommy Melanson
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Ahh, Dial MTV. Where else could I see the Home Sweet Home video each and every day?

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/69/107469.jpg

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Way too much Nelson and Mr. Big.

TonyFleecs
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I used to check out the late night videos when I was on an allnighter or something. I liked that a lot. Now- No cable in my room so it's just DVDs.

The reason they stopped playing music in the first place, I think I read, was that it was easier to flip channels when a song you didn't like came on than it was to flip channels in the middle of a dating show or a real world.

Queen of the Ban Age
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/69/107469.jpg

Yeah, but that I'd have to buy! And Dokken's Dream Warriors video might've played.

Way too much Nelson and Mr. Big.

Hey hey hey, there was nothing wrong with Nelson. They were very pretty.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey hey hey, there was nothing wrong with Nelson. They were very pretty.

Reading that makes me a sad panda.
http://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/sad_panda.jpg

Queen of the Ban Age
09-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Reading that makes me a sad panda.
http://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/sad_panda.jpg

I was 15 and Gunnar Nelson had long blond hair. I have a thing for guys with long blond hair. So much so that I married one.

I so wish Taime Downe would go back to being a blond. He was a hot fucking blond.

Whip
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Nope. They run those dating game shows like Who Wants to Bang My Mom? and Inspect My Room For Semen Stains.

Fucking L-M-A-O!!!

Captain Sensation
09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
So it will be gone 8 months max, and return repackaged as something else with the Jonas brothers being regular guests right? RIGHT!?

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I was 15 and Gunnar Nelson had long blond hair. I have a thing for guys with long blond hair. So much so that I married one.

I so wish Taime Downe would go back to being a blond. He was a hot fucking blond.

I've got a similar thing for natural redheads with porcelain skin. (freckles are welcome) My IQ drops twenty points if I get within 15 feet of any attractive woman that fits that description.

Whip
09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I've got a similar thing for natural redheads with porcelain skin. (freckles are welcome) My IQ drops twenty points if I get within 15 feet of any attractive woman that fits that description.

I take it you have a thing for that catty woman on Mad Men, then.

Queen of the Ban Age
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM

I like my men a bit on the pretty side -- David Tennant, Russell Brand. Yet I make fun of my 17 year old sister for being in love with Orlando Bloom and Zac Efron.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Christina Hendricks. Yes. I actually watched a few episodes of that awful Taye Diggs show "Kevin Hill" because she was in it. The whole thing was very regrettable.

Thommy Melanson
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM

He's only human.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I like my men a bit on the pretty side -- David Tennant, Russell Brand. Yet I make fun of my 17 year old sister for being in love with Orlando Bloom and Zac Efron.

Feel free to keep giving her shit about Zac Efron. You're well within your rights there.

Queen of the Ban Age
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Feel free to keep giving her shit about Zac Efron. You're well within your rights there.

I keep telling her to just come out of the closet. She's a frickin' lesbian for digging Zac Efron.

Dr. Hackenbush
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I keep telling her to just come out of the closet. She's a frickin' lesbian for digging Zac Efron.

Yes. Zac Efron is a gateway crush. Just like Hillary Swank and Jennifer Carpenter from "Dexter" are gateway crushes for guys. The next step is dick.

chazbot
09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
About fucking time. TRL, you will not be missed.

c. page
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to check out the late night videos when I was on an allnighter or something. I liked that a lot. Now- No cable in my room so it's just DVDs.

The reason they stopped playing music in the first place, I think I read, was that it was easier to flip channels when a song you didn't like came on than it was to flip channels in the middle of a dating show or a real world.

yeah, i used to do the same. for the most part, they were good background music while doing art or whatever. late 90s mtv and vh1 pretty much helped me get a lot of my art projects done.