PDA

View Full Version : Benbo - give my job advice!

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Ok, here's the deal - I just finished college (b.a. in english). It was my second go around after a disastrous attempt at graphic design but that is besides the point. The point is, I'm interviewing for a job. And by interviewing, I mean a repeated and continuous battery of phone interviews, face-to-face interviews, take home questionnaires, psychological evaluations and an insanely detailed application.

For one job.

The job would be in the media department as a staff writer...and would (supposedly) pay well. But here's the rub. I've been asking around, talking to people who have worked at this place and almost everyone tells me the same thing - it's a rough place to work. It's very tense, very corporate and very "on edge". I've also heard of things such as no time off for a year and if you are more than 9 minutes late your name is circulated in an inter-office "shame e-mail". One person told me the hours involved were insane. Come in early, stay late, work weekends, etc. For what they pay, they expect to, essentially, own you. She said that as long as I didn't have a wife or kids it would be a great chance to make a lot of money and pad out the resume. Only problem being my Wife and I are looking to start a family and her family is out of town so we travel a good deal.

On the other hand, my current employer likes me. The pay isn't great but they feel confident about an opening in the marketing dept. that I would be perfect for. Plus I'd keep my seniority, benefits and time off. Hell, they even told me - don't accept any offers without checking with them first (I guess so they can make a contingency offer?)...

The pay for "potential new job" sounds swell and I would technically be writing for a living. But the environment and insane-o hours aren't thrilling. So I plan on seeing the (exhaustive) interview process through, giving them a chance to sway me...even though right now I'm just not "feelin' it".

Good idea?

Shane W
09-09-2008, 08:30 AM
A job in the hand is worth two tits in the other bush..... Or something like that.

Ryan Elliott
09-09-2008, 08:32 AM
No. Keep your current job.

A lot more personal benefits, seniority, and flexible hours(I'm guessing) with your current job.

New job would have been perfect if you were a bachelor and just needed a lot of money all at once.

But yeah, keep your current job, since they seem to really want you and are almost willing to do anything to keep you.

Jim T.
That sounds awful. Wait for something else to come along.

Ryudo
Man, Saturday Night Live sounds like hell.

Ryan Elliott
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Man, Saturday Night Live sounds like hell.

Off-topic, but I really fucking love your sig.

The look on his face and the caption is so...win.

ClintP
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Keep current. Unless that other job is going to make your career and pay you significantly for it, it sounds like a soul robbing place. If you like the current job and think you can move up some there and are treated well, I would see what happens there for a bit.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks y'all. The sister-in-law said I should use this "opportunity" as my rebound - use it for what I need (the interview experience) and then show 'er the door!

Taxman
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Ok, here's the deal - I just finished college (b.a. in english). law school

Ryan Elliott
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks y'all. The sister-in-law said I should use this "opportunity" as my rebound - use it for what I need (the interview experience) and then show 'er the door!

You could always use more tough interview experience. Help you out in the long run.

WinstonWolf
09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Ok, here's the deal - I just finished college (b.a. in english). It was my second go around after a disastrous attempt at graphic design but that is besides the point. The point is, I'm interviewing for a job. And by interviewing, I mean a repeated and continuous battery of phone interviews, face-to-face interviews, take home questionnaires, psychological evaluations and an insanely detailed application.

For one job.

The job would be in the media department as a staff writer...and would (supposedly) pay well. But here's the rub. I've been asking around, talking to people who have worked at this place and almost everyone tells me the same thing - it's a rough place to work. It's very tense, very corporate and very "on edge". I've also heard of things such as no time off for a year and if you are more than 9 minutes late your name is circulated in an inter-office "shame e-mail". One person told me the hours involved were insane. Come in early, stay late, work weekends, etc. For what they pay, they expect to, essentially, own you. She said that as long as I didn't have a wife or kids it would be a great chance to make a lot of money and pad out the resume. Only problem being my Wife and I are looking to start a family and her family is out of town so we travel a good deal.

On the other hand, my current employer likes me. The pay isn't great but they feel confident about an opening in the marketing dept. that I would be perfect for. Plus I'd keep my seniority, benefits and time off. Hell, they even told me - don't accept any offers without checking with them first (I guess so they can make a contingency offer?)...

The pay for "potential new job" sounds swell and I would technically be writing for a living. But the environment and insane-o hours aren't thrilling. So I plan on seeing the (exhaustive) interview process through, giving them a chance to sway me...even though right now I'm just not "feelin' it".

Good idea?

I WISH I had your problems. I can't get a new job to save my life.

WinstonWolf
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I answer to your question, if you and your wife are planning to start a family, then I would say no, keep your current job, because it sounds like the one you want is going to get in the way of you and her.