PDA

View Full Version : Need collaboration advice. (Not sure it's allowed)

Mimick
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I honestly don't know how to ask this question, but I'll give it a shot. I'm working with two different artists on two separate projects. They know I can't pay them, which isn't the problem as we have agreed to split the credit if or when the work gets published. The problem is two fold. 1. The first artist I'm losing trust in. He's been on the project for about 4 months now and I haven't seen any pages of completed work from him. Only one character sketch which was done exactly 4 months ago. We've talked a few times via the chat option on Gmail, but he hasn't given me a clear indication of what he has done. He's told me he's very slow artist and he seems highly dedicated to the art-form from our chats. And I have much appreciation for artists with strict dedication. But I haven't seen any indications that he has done anything else. So I'm kind of at a point where I don't know if I should work with him anymore. At first I figured since he's not getting paid that I should let him take his time. But a fellow freelance writer told me that usually when an artist doesn't produce something to reward your trust in 3 months time. Then you are wasting your time. Am I wasting my time or should I stick around and see if he produces something?

2. On the other end of the spectrum. My second artist had asked for extension on the completed art work 2 months ago. Which I gave him. He's doing five pages which is the requirement for most comic companies. And last I spoke with him he said he had three pages done. This past Tuesday makes the third month in which I emailed him. And I wrote him an email asking him if he needed another extension. But I fear that I might be smacking a hornets next if I try to lay down a deadline. I mean he's doing this per an agreement we made. Otherwise I would have to pay for it. And I don't want to damage the good reputation I seem to have with the artists.

Do you pros have any advice that common sense couldn't make clear?

nick maynard
08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
i bet the first guy hasn't done anything.

LordKinbote
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I can only tell you this: people look down on posters who drag their profession-related drama on the board. Talking about other artists in such a way in a forum full of writers and artists is downright unprofessional.

NathanDetroit
08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
1. sounds like the first guy hasn't done shit. i'm an artist too, and i often work slowly (the day job can suck the fucking life right out of you, i swear) but i still produce tangible work. if he's got nothing to show, it's because it doesn't exist.

2. sounds like he started off with good intentions, but lost interest. even when there is no money involved, there is still a price to pay, and this is it. without something to spur him on, he has no real motivation.

Kody
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I think it's a fair question and I can't imagine any reason to not discuss it on a board. Unless of course the artists were mentioned, and I don't see that they were.

It really is a tough spot to be in, and it's a very common problem.

One point to keep in mind, with that kind of work ethic (or lack thereof), if the book is actually picked up by a publisher it'll be impossible to ever get it out. Probably a good idea to break it off and try to start it up again with someone else. The artists either aren't ready for pro work, or they don't care enough about the project to get the work done. Either way, the projects don't sound like they'll ever get off the ground with the current pace.