PDA

View Full Version : I Bought, I Thought, I Came Thread for 8/27/08

Ben
08-27-2008, 06:31 AM
I always wanted to start one of these threads.

JimmyF1982
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
ok i'll be the first:

Kick-Ass #4: this series to me is just an awesome read. it's fun. it's violent. everything a guy could want. here comes the downfall. i feel like it reads too fast and not much of anything happens. it will def. read better in trade form. damn these writers and always writing for the trade.

danlomb
08-27-2008, 08:03 AM
ok i'll be the first:

Kick-Ass #4: this series to me is just an awesome read. it's fun. it's violent. everything a guy could want. here comes the downfall. i feel like it reads too fast and not much of anything happens. it will def. read better in trade form. damn these writers and always writing for the trade.

Funny you should say that, though. Millar definately HATES trade-waiters, even ensuring that the Ultimates Annuals would not be collected in The Ultimates HC's.
So while his stories DO read very well in trades, he ain't 'writing for the trade', if that makes sense.

In the meantime, I'm trade-waiting Kick-Ass :D

JimmyF1982
08-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Funny you should say that, though. Millar definately HATES trade-waiters, even ensuring that the Ultimates Annuals would not be collected in The Ultimates HC's.
So while his stories DO read very well in trades, he ain't 'writing for the trade', if that makes sense.

In the meantime, I'm trade-waiting Kick-Ass :D

i'm just digging the story too much to trade wait. i'm just not getting enough of it in the singles.

in other news...thanks to Simpson for cleaning up the thread.

Amazing Spider-Man #569: New Ways To Die Part 2 - not as good as part 1 IMHO, but then again it would be hard to match or even top how awesome that issue was. a solid read with the mother of all cliffhangers for next week. ANTI-VENOM!!!!

Final Crisis:Superman Beyond 3D #1:the first morrison book recently that i really liked. final crisis is just all over the fucking place. as is most of his batman stories, but this was a good read. Picking up with Superman's story from FC #3, i feel like we're gonna get a resolution to Superman inconsistancies in Final Crisis and his main titles. and i'm always a fan of the 3D books. Looking forward to #2, whenever it's to be released.

New Avengers #44: i dunno how much of this is gonna become common knowledge by the end of the day and how much isn't so i'll hid this. another skrull centric issue, taking place solely on their world. i expected more interplay with the illuminati. perhaps another reveal of another one of them being a skrull. good thought provoking issue though. Off to read Mighty.

Mighty Avengers #17: i am just not a fan of hank pym. never have. not really of a fan of a lot of the classic avengers. growing up they just weren't my thing. so this issue and the previous hank pym issue, eh i don't like to comment on them cause i didn't love them or hate them. i just felt meh about them.

skinnyrunaway
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Superman Beyond 3D: WHAT THE FUCK!?! I'm gonna have to read this like nine more times.

Superman: Ok, James Robinson's first arc isn't blowing me away, but it's growing. Like Starman he's really putting pieces into place, now adding Supergirl and Lana Lang to the cast. I have faith.

Avengers Initiative: ROCKED MY SOCKS. Skrull-fuckers!! And I love Kimodo.

Runaways: Good, but I need more. No one's managed to capture Vaughan's energy but I have faith in Moore. More on this later.

Jew Mafia
08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Runaways #1 - Disappointed. I'm not a big a fan of Ramos' art, but thought it worked pretty well here. What really surprised me was how much I didn't like the way Terry wrote Chase. Every time he started a sentence with "dude" I cringed. The plot was ok, but a bit of a strange choice if this is meant to be a jumping on point. Klara, for now seems to have no purpose what so ever in this book. Xavin seemed pretty misused as well, an Nico well she was as much a non-factor as Old Lace. It's Terry's first shot at this book so I'll stick it out for a bit, but this is, like I said, disappointing. Out of the 3 first issues this series has had so far, this is the one I'd least likely give someone to get them into Runaways.

copypastepuke
08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
i could have sworn i posted in this thread already

dougmac
08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Ultimate X-Men was cool to see Charles with Wolverine's claws and powers and to see Moira was behind it to fund Muir Islandand that the brotherhood was behind Moira

It was also fun to write a cryptic spoiler chain review

Ryudo
08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultimate X-Men was cool

First time I've heard that in awhile.

augie680
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
So Superman Beyond came out today for sure? My store didnt have that, and Wolverine.

Did Wolverine ship too, or was my store just crushing me with the lack of 3-D and McNiven goodness?

Jew Mafia
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
So Superman Beyond came out today for sure? My store didnt have that, and Wolverine.

Did Wolverine ship too, or was my store just crushing me with the lack of 3-D and McNiven goodness?

My store had em both.

Clayton James
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
And they were both vaguely mindblowing.

Slewo.O
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
i'm just digging the story too much to trade wait. i'm just not getting enough of it in the singles.

in other news...thanks to Simpson for cleaning up the thread.

Amazing Spider-Man #569: New Ways To Die Part 2 - not as good as part 1 IMHO, but then again it would be hard to match or even top how awesome that issue was. a solid read with the mother of all cliffhangers for next week. ANTI-VENOM!!!!

Final Crisis:Superman Beyond 3D #1:the first morrison book recently that i really liked. final crisis is just all over the fucking place. as is most of his batman stories, but this was a good read. Picking up with Superman's story from FC #3, i feel like we're gonna get a resolution to Superman inconsistancies in Final Crisis and his main titles. and i'm always a fan of the 3D books. Looking forward to #2, whenever it's to be released.

New Avengers #44: i dunno how much of this is gonna become common knowledge by the end of the day and how much isn't so i'll hid this. another skrull centric issue, taking place solely on their world. i expected more interplay with the illuminati. perhaps another reveal of another one of them being a skrull. good thought provoking issue though. Off to read Mighty.

Mighty Avengers #17: i am just not a fan of hank pym. never have. not really of a fan of a lot of the classic avengers. growing up they just weren't my thing. so this issue and the previous hank pym issue, eh i don't like to comment on them cause i didn't love them or hate them. i just felt meh about them.

I'll have to disagree with on Amazing. That was really awesome and things got knocked up a notch with how Peter reacted to Osborn re-entering his life. And Osborn's reaction to Spider-Man attacking him and Harry for leaving Oscorp It also set up for what looks like to be some big revelations on what happened after Civil War ended.

AndrewG
08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Gonna post what we bought but haven't had time to read em yet. The boy should have a bunch of reviews on his site tomorrow. Bigger week than last for us. Yeesh.

The ones for him and I:

Amazing Spider-Man
SI Spider-Man
Bart Simpson
Simpsons Treasure Trove
Skaar Son of Hulk
Supergirl
Superman
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel Adventures Heroes
Star Wars Legacy
Nova

Just for me:
Kick Ass
Avengers Initiative
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Last Will and Testament
Rogues Revenge
Daredevil

skinnyrunaway
08-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Oh man Wolverine was sweet sweet sweet with a little bit of awesome mixed in.

Slewo.O
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Gonna post what we bought but haven't had time to read em yet. The boy should have a bunch of reviews on his site tomorrow. Bigger week than last for us. Yeesh.

The ones for him and I:

Amazing Spider-Man
SI Spider-Man
Bart Simpson
Simpsons Treasure Trove
Skaar Son of Hulk
Supergirl
Superman
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel Adventures Heroes
Star Wars Legacy
Nova

Just for me:
Kick Ass
Avengers Initiative
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Last Will and Testament
Rogues Revenge
Daredevil
Hey why aren't you letting the kid read Kick-Ass? It's well-suited with all the things a growing boy his age needs: boobs, excessive violence and cussing and people's various body parts being mashed off.

But speaking seriously if the kid can read Nova and Ultimate Spider-Man what's wrong with Avengers: The Initiative? That book is something I would give and it's really fun or is it just something he's not interested in?

nick maynard
08-27-2008, 03:14 PM
wait how does peter parker know that osborn has forgotten his secret identity? is he aware of what happened to him in one more day? can anyone explain that to me?

Simps
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
wait how does peter parker know that osborn has forgotten his secret identity? is he aware of what happened to him in one more day? can anyone explain that to me?
I think he knows something that we as readers don't know yet. I think that was part of the plan of Brand New Day, revealing what exactly happened slowly over time.

Criden
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey why aren't you letting the kid read Kick-Ass? It's well-suited with all the things a growing boy his age needs: boobs, excessive violence and cussing and people's various body parts being mashed off.

But speaking seriously if the kid can read Nova and Ultimate Spider-Man what's wrong with Avengers: The Initiative? That book is something I would give and it's really fun or is it just something he's not interested in?

I definitely would not give this week's Avengers: The Initiative to a kid.

AndrewG
08-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Believe me, he saw read the title of Kick Ass and immediately wanted it. 'Dad, it sounds sooo coooooool'.

He didn't show an interest in AI. I pretty much leave the decisions up to him unless its something like Kick Ass that I have to put the kibosh on.

augie680
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Heres mine:

New Avengers & Mighty: Both reeked of time-fillers to me. Neither one was imperitive or strong enough to warrant 22 pages. The Skrull-centric issue had the reveal at the end, but really was just 22 pages of pandering to get to it. The Hank Pym one was just useless. I guess both were meant to show how far and how hard the Skrulls worked to pull this off, but at this point, I already get that.

Thunderbolts - Fun, but not much happens really. Fighting, sure, but nothing big or great or anything.

Amazing Spiderman - I've enjoyed BND, and New Ways to Die is awesome so far. Great ending (even though we've seen it coming for maybe four months now) with superb art and lots of hints about whats to come. The more we get into BND the happier I am that I've read it religiously.

Last Will and Testament: Other then the continuity snaffus, this is a great story with great art.

Rogues Revenge: Ive never read the Flash (other then JLA), and am absolutely loving the Rogues. Just a badass group, and a badass issue.

Black Panther: More wartime fun, but lacked the punch of the last issue. Maybe it was the fact that this reveal was basically the same as last issue? Still fun stuff.

Nova - I love Nova. Super pumped hes back on Earth. Lot of great fish out of water dialogue, and clean art. Dug it lots.

Avengers The Initiative - Love how this arc is playing out. The SKK is a bunch of badasses, and I love their plan of attack. Love the art too.

tim nixon
08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
too, too much this week, couldnt even let the avengers get near my 'buy' pile...

Gravel 4 another great issue. bill kicks everyone's ass(again). too bad wolfer didnt draw it.

Kick Ass 4 hit-girl is nuts. and 'kick ass no more' is just awesome. heh

Ultimate Spiderman 125 glad the cops let him go. i liked venom getting his tongue cut off.

Daredevil 110 awesome ending to the story. nice to see matt beat the hell out of a spook and not get tagged for it.

X-Force 6 everyone in this book is nuts. especially cyclops. i hope rahne is alright after this issue, i hope she didnt eat the reverend. proudstar seems to kill too easily, no morose, doesnt seem like him to me.

X-Men Legacy 215 so cyclops tells professor x what ive thought for years, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!

Anna Mercury 3 boy, isnt anna a lot hotter when shes 'on the job'? good issue, and anna is an action hero to be loved by all(hopefully by me wink wink)

Wolverine 68 didnt see that comin. i hope wolvie really lets loose next issue and doesnt whine when he does it.

Doktor Sleepless 8 sleepless turns into a giant asshole, as we learn of his 'real' plot(although i doubt it, really). things dont look good for anyone. at least he got rid of the government tracking bullshit for all his victims.

JimmyF1982
08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
what was the big "reveal" in black panther this week?

Spidey616
08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Why isn't Jason Aaron writing Black Panther!?!?!?!??

Another great issue and man did T'challa bring it to that Super-Skrull.

Loved the last page.

Dylan
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think I have ever bought 7 comics on a new comic day...

Avengers: The Initiative Fun stuff, but the Kill Krew is kind of lame. I look forward to Ant-Man's heroics and I hope we get a little more of the other teams. Also, why was Two-Gun Kid on the Arizona team, wasn't he a Ranger?

Mighty Avengers I liked the suggestion that the skrull plan may not work after-all and them ignoring Pym's warning. Another okay book but the Avengers titles just don't leave me as excited as they used to.

New Avengers Loved the looks on their faces after the suggestion that they never actually escaped. This really fooled me for a minute. Another skrull-story that didn't do a whole lot for me. I feel like I'm still waiting for the "Oh shit" moment(s) with SI.

Thunderbolts Absolutely can't stand the art here. I typically either love the artist or am indifferent, but this just doesn't work for me. The characters feel really hokey too. Maybe I'm spoiled by the great Ellis arcs but these past two issues have me ready to drop it.

Amazing Spider-Man Pretty fun stuff. Left me looking forward to next week. The Anti-Venom thing has potential, this is the first time I have ever bought current Amazing Spider-Man. It's interesting that I enjoy the Thunderbolts (or the potential storyline involving...) in this more than their own title.

Wolverine My favorite this week! Step-father Ultron is great! The "Darevdevil" was pretty amazing in this too. I wish we'd have seen more of him in action. Usually these "potential future" storylines don't do it for me, but this has been amazing thus far. McNiven's art just floors me.

X-Force Another great title! The wrap-up didn't seem to do justice to the build-up the previous 5 issues, but overall I enjoyed it. It left me excited for the next arc.

Slewo.O
08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't think I have ever bought 7 comics on a new comic day...

Avengers: The Initiative Fun stuff, but the Kill Krew is kind of lame. I look forward to Ant-Man's heroics and I hope we get a little more of the other teams. Also, why was Two-Gun Kid on the Arizona team, wasn't he a Ranger?

Language my friend the Kill Krew and lame do not go in the same sentence. ;) As for Two-Gun Kid he wasn't part of the Rangers they revealed a few months ago he's on the Desert Stars.

Now as for my own thoughts on the issue I really loved it especially with their giving those not in the know about other Skrull hunters the origins of the original 3-D Man and the Kill Krew. Although I'm pretty sad only Ryder and Riot are still alive I loved Moonstomp and Dice. :cry: In addition I loved the integration of the first class into the story in a way that feels au natural and pretty badass at the same time.

As for the other stuff within the issue was pretty weird and cool like War Machine managing to survive and going off to do whatever Tony needs him to do and Camp Hammond being revealed to be command central of the Skrulls on earth and apparently all of the Cape-Killers being revealed as Skrulls

I'll post my other reviews later

Also did anyone really understand what was going on with Superman Beyond? I haven't read the other issues of FC and other than that there's some multiversal threat that only Superman and his other counterparts (and Captain Marvel) can stop I don't have much clue what's going on. Also it didn't feel like the visual changed much after I put on the 3-D glasses I have the red on left and green/blue on my right sooo.

augie680
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
The reveal in Black Panther wasnt huge. Last issue was that not all the Skrull agents were discovered. This issue it was revealed that not all the skrull agents were revealed.... Well they might be in his personal guard, and closer to Panther then we thought, but its not like Storm or Panther are skrulls.

Spidey616
08-27-2008, 08:10 PM
NW #15- turns out the Dwayne Taylor and NW that died in Stamford were actually...SKRULLS! ;)

Ok, not really, but other than confirming Dwayne's death, these 2 issues really had almost nothing to do with SI. It was cool to see both NW and Counter Force and a recap page listing the characters, but this series is no A:TI. Wasn't crazy about the art but at least Night Thrasher FINALLY revealed his identity to the team.

Slewo.O
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
NW #15- turns out the Dwayne Taylor and NW that died in Stamford were actually...SKRULLS! ;)

Ok, not really, but other than confirming Dwayne's death, these 2 issues really had almost nothing to do with SI. It was cool to see both NW and Counter Force and a recap page listing the characters, but this series is no A:TI. Wasn't crazy about the art but at least Night Thrasher FINALLY revealed his identity to the team.

Did they even fight any Skrulls other than the first issue? It seems weird that it'd tie into SI but other than oh maybe Dwayne was a Skrull nothing else.

They could've done this without SI :roll: And next issue is going to have him confronting Iron Man for all the wrong reasons if the solicit is anything to go by.

Matt C. Linton
08-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Does anyone else feel like Secret Invasion is maybe a little too big? There are so many pieces all over the board, so many revelations, hints, teases, etc, spread out over so many different books that it's just hard to even keep track of when all the various stories are happening, and how they all fit together. And not just in the various tie-ins, but even just the three Bendis-written books (SI, New Avengers, and Mighty Avengers).

Boris the Blade
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
McKeever, you may have lost me with Teen Titans #62.

nick maynard
08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Heres mine:

New Avengers & Mighty: Both reeked of time-fillers to me. Neither one was imperitive or strong enough to warrant 22 pages. The Skrull-centric issue had the reveal at the end, but really was just 22 pages of pandering to get to it. The Hank Pym one was just useless. I guess both were meant to show how far and how hard the Skrulls worked to pull this off, but at this point, I already get that.
SORTOF agree about the hank pym issue. but the skrull issue with reed richards was fucking amazing.

nick maynard
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM
i thought last will and testament was an amazing story. i knew absolutely nothing about geoforce or deathstroke or any of the history it was referencing, but i got the story, and i really liked it. all of the vignettes were great. clark with his dad, batman and the robins, the flash and green lantern. all great.

but i feel like im missing something with final crisis. i mean, did i miss an issue? where did clark tell everyone this was the end? how is it that they all know this is the night before the end?

great one shot.

JimmyF1982
08-28-2008, 04:32 AM
DCU - Last Will And Testament: who is geo-force and why do i care about him? because brad meltzer writes a damn fine comic that's why. not exactly what i expected from all the talk before the release. the whole "what do you do the night before die" didn't play out like i thought. i expected a bunch of short stories, and essentially we got that, but really only in a few panels here and there. tons of characters were glossed over. but that's cool, because meltzer got me to care about geo-force and that's what he's wanted from the beginning. can't wait for his next project.

Ultimate Spider-Man #125: it's ultimate spidey so you gotta love it, but damn it's only part 3 of this storyline and i feel like it's taking forever to just develop. IIRC the ultimates are in the next issue, supposed to be post ult.2 but pre-ult 3 i think, so it'll be cool to see bendis' take on the loeb ultimates.

Ultimate X-Men #97: haven't really dug this since kirkman left, i feel as though this storyline should be more closely tied to ult. origins. i am excited to get into the ultimatum stuff coming up though.

Avengers:Initiative #16: so i knew secret invasion was coming up and i heard that the skrull kill krew were going to appear in the initiative, so i got on amazon and bought the trade for the original morrison/millar mini series. and i thought it was terrible. just god awful. so needless to say i didn't have high hopes for this issue of initiative. but i feel gage and slott made the best of those characters and kept right on trucking with a great story of the regular cast. who woulda thought i'd still be reading this "initiative" title for so long. for it originally solicited as a mini then moving into and ongoing, it's quite a decent read month after month.

Shwicaz
08-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Mighty Avengers: Wasn't feeling this one at all. Don't like Hank. Dont read Avengers: Initiative (where he is apparently featured earlier in the run), and I just found this whole issue blah. What was Skrank trying to tell the aliens? Why did he fight them? Is Hank just so genetically fucked up in the head that his skrull version is too? Felt bad for the guy at the diner. Who was the girl with the cam-phone? (i am sure she will be important later..but....)definately not a high point for me. Severely underwhelmed.

Halloween 30th anniversary sp. : other than the art by brett weldele, I didn't enjoy this at all. I hate books with assorted stories. and a lot of them were disjoined or didn't make sense. and it was $5.50. gonna start flipping through the issues before I buy them so this won't happen again.

Kick Ass #4: HA HA HA! That pic of hit girl in mid-jump over the rooftops was simply gorgeous. The whole story had me laughing my ass off. Especially the 'psuedo gayness' of Kick Ass' altar ego. The violence was a bit over the top, but at this point, I knew that going in. This was hilarious, uncomfortable, and fun.

Wolverine-- The art takes my breath away. This really is OLD MAN logan, and every crag on his and Clint's face is filled with character and wisdom. I am totally enjoying this ride. Which is odd, because I hate Wolverine and haven't read the comic in years (other than Aaron's brief arc, which I also enjoyed) This is my book of the week thus far.

Waiting on New Avengers and Amazing Spidey in the mail.....

changingshades
08-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Still need to get Ultimate books and Fallen Angel, but I'm good otherwise. Spoilers abound, so watch your step. Best book this week was either X-Force or DC Last Will and Testament. Worst book was Teen Titans. If you want a more detailed rundown, read on.
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 1- Maybe it's because 3D glasses always give me a head ache and it rarely works properly anyway. Maybe it was the shitty Dr. Manhattan Superman. Maybe it was that Merry Man grates on me like sticking my hand into a paper shredder. I don't know. I do know however that I really didn't enjoy this book. It's not because I don't get it. I daresay I get it better than a lot of people because I've read Morrison's intros to books on real magic, in addition to everything he's done for DC up until now. But this book was just crap. It was playing the "look how weird and cutting edge I can be" which did not work for me at all. I will of course read the second issue and maybe it will be the second coming of Jesus. Don't know, don't care. This book sucked on ice 2/10

Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge 2- So if you read my reviews, you know how much I hated Legion of 3 Worlds last week. However this issue completely redeemed Johns. I'm interested to see where the Zoom story goes and the Iris Allen character moments were great, but this issue lived and died by how much people liked the rogues kicking the shit out of the imposters. And I really have to say that fight was one of the best super fights I've read in months. The art was tight, the characterization and improvisation were all great. A Solid 8.5/10

Kick-Ass 4- I know a lot of the online communities I belong to like to shit on this series, but I like it. It gives me the same happy feeling of ultra violence that I used to get from Warren Ellis before his characterization became nothing more than bastard covered bastards doing bastardly things. I mean really, how do you not like the introduction of a Robin Character that cuts up a room full of people with a sword. Millar might not be hitting home runs with every book (1985), but when he's on he's great. 9/10

Skaar Son of Hulk 3-This book is all about whether you like the concept of Conan fighting people with cyborg blade arms with super strength. I can take it or leave it. Ron Garney art is getting better with each issue and the story is passable, but not a high point 7/10

Immortal Iron Fist 18-I'm liking the new creative team. They are no Matt Fraction and Brubaker, but they get the feel I want for this book. Mainly Kung fu guy with awesome friends kicking and slicing things doing flips and shit. I'm a little afraid they're painting themselves into a corner with this dead at 33 storyline, but we'll see. I think it's kind of neat the villain is like an ancient kung fu Zaphod Beeblebrox. 8/10

Justice Society of America 18-I never thought I'd rely heavily on an artist to make or break a writer, but Johns JSA absolutely needs Eaglesham to be good. I just do not care for Ordway on this book. The panels he did just felt flat. Kind of saw where they were going with the Gog Storyline and who would be Magog, but that didn't make the journey any less fun. I think there is a lot of subtle nuance to this story that makes it build and a lot of fun to read. Like how Damage's attitude has changed with his face restored, or the cracks in the team. Just a lot of good comic writing. 9.5/10

Avengers: The Initiative 16-Solid issue. Shame to see what has become of the SKK, but it looks like the team is filling out. I really hope Crusader makes it through SI. He's a complex character, and I really enjoy him. And if Antman plays a big role in stopping Pym destroying the Initiative I'm going to be happy and angry. Happy because he's doing stuff, but angry because him doing stuff kind of goes against his character. 6.5/10

Amazing Spiderman-ooo, speaking of predictability, Anti Venom is who? NO really? And everyone who read the last page of last issue knew that that scene in the apartment was going to play out exactly that way. So how the shit does Venom not know who Spiderman is? I will bite on Norman not knowing, that's fine. Craps on some awesome Lee-Romita stories from back in the day, but no more than having Norman alive does. But what justification can you possibly have for Venom not knowing who Spidey is? If you are a man's underwear, you know who he is. Still JR jr fills me with nerdy joy. 7.5/10

Runaways vol 3. no. 1-So I've been reading Strangers in Paradise for a few weeks now. I"m up to 52 or so. this has nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to say. But yes. Fuck the reviewers that get paid to shit on this. It works fine for a first issue of a new writer. I don't think it should have been relaunched but I really don't care. Ramos is great here. Moore characterization is great. Having Kevin Smith in it was a little gratuitous but ya gotta play to your audiences. A lot of set up, but it did have some moments so I'll give it a 6.75/10

Black Panther 40-I kind of want to bitch about the braveheart scene at the beginning or how the art makes me think of Jae Lee, but not in a good way, or how the coloring really lessened the impact of the 2 super skrulls, but there were a lot of little things in this issue that were fun specifically T'Challa kicking skrull ass or him knowing every soldier that went down. I honestly believe he knew that both of those people were skrulls and he's just using this to position himself in the main ship. If not, then next issue should be very interesting. I still miss Priest on BP, but Aaron does a good job. 7/10

Daredevil 110-So people are bitching about how Bucky is all bad ass, but he doesn't hold a candle to Matt. I love this book, but really, getting out of a military fire fight they way he did. Sheeee it that was awesome. I'm hoping we see more stuff with Dakota's dad. Next issue's having a cameo by an agent of the Noh apparently, so that should be fun. 7.5/10

Secret Invasion Amazing Spiderman 1-You can tell Reed had a lot of fun doing this. And that's good. A lot of set up for ass kicking, though a little sparse on the actual ass kicking. 6/10

Superman 679-"Why does that sound dirtier than you intended it to?" I think this is my favorite Robinson issue so far. Not too cute, but had a couple of bon mots. Of course supergirl spending her time with lions in her off time is hokey, and having Bibbo fight Atlas was lame. 5/10
But it was nice to see that not all dogs are evil in DC like in our next book

Teen Titans 62 -I mean serioiusly. There is no way to follow this issue up that won't make me pissed. I know DC hates fun characters, but come the fuck on. I've been a titans defender through out this run. I liked it with the OYL stuff. I've been a fan Rose. I even tolerated how the last year or so of villains have been evil titan teams. Fine whatever. But this is where I draw the line. An Evil wonder dog eating Wendy and Marvin. You have got to be shitting me. And the rest of the issue was great. A nice downtime issue with great art. I was all excited that it would be a fun issue before getting into some Final Crisis stuff. Fucking DC. Goddamn this issue pissed me off 0/10

Legion of Superheroes 45-a little stiff in parts but solid enough. I actually like M'rrsey and I am always a fan of the legion fucking each other in every possible way, be it Umbra and Wolf or Ultra boy and Saturn girl. good stuff 6/10

She Hulk 32-standard PAD stuff. Nothin too great but solid enough.6/10

New Avengers 44-Good issue. I get the distinct impression that Bendis laid some groundwork for how this whole thing is ending. Rhymes with swerve lass. 8/10

DC Last Will and Testament-Wow. Really, wow. Metzler writes great superhero stories. I would have preferred it end in a double death, but wow. 10/10

Wolverine 68-Again, Millar brings good ultra violence. The art is good, plus I have a soft spot for distopic futures. 8/10

Thunderbolts 123-kill kill kill, chomp, kill. 7.5/10

X-Force 6-I love this book. I mean I absolutely adore this book. I wasn't reading comics when X-Force originally started, but if this type of excitement for each new issue was fostered by Fabian and Rob, then I understand the love that series had. I don't like Crain's art in most things, but he does a simply amazing Archangel and the fight scenes. Last issue I felt it was too dark. Not dark in the tone, though it was that. Dark in that the lighting wasn't sufficient to show the bad ass fighting. I like the concept behind this book and I like where it's going. This team is very much team bitey stabby, but damn if it isn't great doing it. 10/10

Mighty Avengers 17-Pym gets no respect, like ever. Tigra doesn't either, but she's a goddamn furry so fuck her. I don't know. Did anything really happen here? I guess it shows that Pym is smarter than people give him credit for, even as a skrull. I will try that coffee thing though 7/10

Reign in Hell 2-This series just shows how out of the loop for DC fringe characters. I have no idea what is going on with Shadowpact currently. I don't know who is currently Dr Fate or what his deal is. Did PAD's Supergirl show up this issue and I missed it? And I really wish Bill S was doing all the interior art instead of just inking. His inking always looks like that run he had with Sal Buscema on Spectacular back in the day, which I never really cared for.

Nova 16-really solid issue. I wish I'd known to read it before She-Hulk, but whatever. I was more worried the continuity would be shot but it wasn't. I liked the skrull tactic to get Rich. 7/10

Ultimate Iron Man II 5-So much snappy patter. It was like an old Michelinie Layton story, if the concept was incredibly stupid. 4/10

X-Men: Legacy 215-Really the most pure classic X-Men book . I love the stuff with Rogue. If Carey stays with the book I hope we finally, FINALLY, get an end to Rogue not controlling her powers. It was also really awesome seeing her in Australia, which are some of the classic X-stories in my opinion. I hope Scott breaks Xavier's Jaw next issue

Jack of Fables 25-What earth shattering revelation did we get this momentous anniversary issue? Jack gave Goldie crabs 8/10

Ambush Bug Year Zero 2-Barry Allen is a horse fucker. OMACheeks soo cute. And of Course poor Ted. Either ya like Ambush Bug or ya don't, no review I give it will change one person. 6/10

SteveZegers
08-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Ambush Bug Year None #2 - I have really missed having a book like this to read. Itís just rapid fire silly jokes one after the other. Will all the wars and crisisÖ crisesesÖ Crices? Anyway, Iím enjoying the heck out of it.

DC Universe Last Will And Testament #1 - There was some really good stuff in here. I donít really worry about the timeline or anything like that. I think itís just a ďWhat do you do before it all goes to hellĒ type of thing. The exact event doesnít really matter. I found the whole thing pretty moving. (But Ollie is with Royís kid? Not his wife, son, or Speedy? That was a little weird)

Final Crisis Rogues Revenge #2 - Normally a book staring the bad guys isnít really my thing, but this book won me over. Itís really based just on the creators and what they have turned these characters into.

Final Crisis Superman Beyond #1 - Review thread. (Crazy fun, I loved it)

Justice Society Of America Vol 3 #18 - Would have been a great reveal if it wasnít given away in the solicits. I hate that. Still, nice to finally see the bad side of Gogís ďgiftsĒ. Also a little Hawkman spotlight, which is overdue.

Legion Of Super-Heroes Vol 5 #45 - This book has kind of lost something for me. I just sort of zone out on it. Not really holding my attention.

Reign In Hell #2 - This is really shaping up to be one of those stealthy events. I went in with very low expectations, but itís fun. There are some great mystical characters popping up.

Superman Vol 3 #679 - Oh the last pageÖ next month is going to be awesome. I also love the way the Lois and Clark marriage is being portrayed.

Teen Titans Vol 3 #62 - WhoaÖ didnít see that coming. Itís not what I would have done, but it was some really good and shocking storytelling.

Teen Titans Year One #6 - Weird way to end what had been such a fun little series.

Trinity #13 $2.99 - Nice Superwoman cover. Get moving Trinity! Iím still in there with you, but lets get rolling!

Madame Xanadu #3 - Very pretty looking, Iím not really sure about the story just yet. I like to have a couple of Vertigo books to mix things up a little, not sure yet if this is getting it done.

Daredevil Vol 2 #110 - Good Daredevil stuff, I hope things get a little less heavy. (Maybe the female bullseye, who appears to be wearing a little bit of tape, will provide that.)

Mighty Avengers #17 (Secret Invasion Tie-In)
New Avengers #44 (Secret Invasion Tie-In) - Both good, (Not sure why the only Hank Pym that can appear heroic is the one thatís a Skrull, or why even he is getting called a wife beaterÖ.) But I really miss the Avengers. These both feel like they should have happened in the invasion, and both books have felt like that for a while. They add to the story, and I guess thatís a good thing, but as I saidÖ miss the Avengers.

Runaways Vol 3 #1 - I liked the art. Itís a fun book, even if the last arc sort of derailed a bit. I really couldnít even remember what happened at the end of that arc, or who the little girl was.

Ultimate Spider-Man #125 - Entertaining as a book with Venom can be. (And I hate Venom)

Ryudo
08-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I appreciate the fact that Bendis is telling us the backstory of the Skrull invasion, but it really does seem like filler. If I'd actually paid money for NA, I would've been teed (read it in the shop).

I hope that there is a stronger Avengers book or books after the crossover is over.

Dave S.
08-28-2008, 07:43 AM
This is two weeks worth of comics for me and I don't know what came out this week or last, so it's a jumble:

Nova #16 - Great! I liked the Skrullister Six. And I like Super Skrull's interactions. I hope they don't go too much longer withoutWorldmind. 8/10

Guardians of the Galaxy #4 - Eh, not much happened. I don't like the idea of Knowhere politics. I don't want to see the team interacting with the community, I want to see them guarding the galaxies. And the skrull tie-in stuff seems a bit forced. Most of the teams ties with Earth are loose at best, and I can't see the skrulls wasting their time going after them. Nova I can see, but the guardians are so wrapped up in other stuff that it hardly matters. The stuff concerning the old GotG is interesting though. I recommend the old trade that is out there, collecting the first arc where they search for the shield. Overall, a decent read. But seemed a bit like stalling. 7/10

Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor #6 of 6 - I picked this series up because of Mike Costa's post here. And overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It was an enjoyable story, and not really tied into Authority continuity. It's enjoyable on it's own. And the story was pretty interesting, kept me engaged. My big thing, the flashbacks. I had trouble keeping track of what was going on when. What was in the past? I don't know, so many flashbacks. 7.5/10

X-Factor: Layla Miller - I don't like that they didn't lable it as a one shot, like they usually do. I liked the issue though. I started reading X-Factor in Messiah Complex, and it's the only X-title I've kept reading since. Her story arc with Madrox really interested me, and this issue didn't disappoint. I think David has been telling a good story. 8/10

Avengers: The Initiative #16 - Great stuff. I love this book. I liked seeing some of the old characters. I love the scope of the book. I wish Slott had more control over Marvel events. He's shown that he's great at fitting his books into whatever is going on in the MU. Let's see him shape the MU a bit. From what I understand, Slott comes up with the main plot and Gage scripts it. Them together is a great team. Gage is definately the break-out writer of the last few years. 8.5/10

Incredible Hercules #120 - Not bad. The Skrull god story was interesting. Seeing who it was that was loving everybody was interesting. And seeing Hercules kicking as was great. I do want to see this book move on to something else now. The Herc/Cho buddy dynamic is good, but I'd like to see some story progress post SI. 7/10

Amazing Spider-Man 568 & 569 - Enjoyable. I don't read thunderbolts, so I don't know how the characterization of the team is. But considering the history that a few of the members had with Spidey, it was inevitable that this would happen. And it's pretty epic right now. I don't like the city hating Spidey. When it was Hero or Menace, that's cool. But now it's Petty Thug or Murderer and I'm not that interesting. I want my hero to be seen as a hero, at least by most of the people. 8/10

newuniversal: Conquerer One-shot - It was okay. But I feel like these one shots are just stalling because Ellis is too busy writing his own stuff to write this. I mean, we had a long wait between arcs, and now we're getting these one shots instead of issues of the new arc. Maybe it hasn't been that long since the last issue, I don't know for sure. But I really liked newuniversal and it's dragging becase of the lack of Ellis output now. 7/10

JimmyF1982
08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Trinity #13 $2.99 - Nice Superwoman cover. Get moving Trinity! Iím still in there with you, but lets get rolling!

for real. i was actually gonna drop this a few issues back and just get the eventual trades but the issue i decided to stop with ended with the Crime Syndicate so i thought i'd at least finish out the story with them. haven't read this issue yet but i know what you mean about the pacing. even for 11 or 12 pages a week we can get more story than this.

Wolverine #66: bad-ass. cannot wait for the rest of this storyline. enemy of the state and agent of shield do not hold up as stories IMO, but i can get that this will when all is said and done.

Ultimate Iron Man II #5: thank god this series is over. i coulda sworn it was like 8 fucking issues long. turns out it was only five. and apparently not only is scott card a homophobic but i felt he came off pretty racist in this as well, with obadiah stane making remarks about tony's "black" sidekick and then killing the one african american character. normally i wouldn't be so picky about this shit but after reading his homophobic rant i wouldn't say it's much of a stretch to imagine this guy is racist too. just my opinion. this mini-series really made me realize that beyond the core titles, nothing else needs to be read in the ultimate universe.

Ryan Walsh
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Daredevil 110: I loved the ending to this arc, as I really didnít know what to expect until the very end. I didnít think I would be able to handle any ending that tied so many threads together in a single issue, but they pulled it off. Me happy!

Amazing Spider-Man 569: I normally donít BUY ASM, but with a Slott/ Romita pair I just couldnít resist, and so far itís been worth it. Mostly. Trying to figure out (or simply ignore) the fact that neither Norman Osborn OR Gargan-Venom know Spider-Manís identity is difficult, especially when the latter insists he can feel his previous hosts. Aside from this, itís a lot of fun. Harry gets a fresh reminder why his dadís an asshole, Spidey knocks some heads, and Venom gets a beatdown.

Kick-Ass 4: Ah, the ever-loved ďThatís it, Iím outĒ moment in a heroís life. I liked him finding out just what his short careerís done to the world, I thought that was a nice touch. You can see where Millar and Romita thought they could cap it here if they wanted to, but itís a good thing they didnít. Plus, itís got a 10-ish year-old girl killing people, and I never knew how much I would love seeing such a thing before now! Itís beautiful!!!

Ultimate Spider-Man 125: I wasnít liking this arc, but this issue redeems a bit. Some fresh content not found in the game goes a long way to that (particularly the last page!). Iím still waiting for the story to move passed the gameís timeline into something more current, but there was one thing about this issue that renews my patience.

VENOM EATS A HORSE!!!! ARE YOU NOT AMUSED?!? CAUSE I AM!!

newuniversal Conquerer: A nice one-shot that goes into the civilization that could have been so much more, and the reasons why it wasnít. I particularly liked the implication that the earlier paradigm shift might have held if action had been taken sooner Ė it gives the whole concept a bit more weight, I think. Good characterization, but (and I donít think Iím alone in saying this) I wouldíve liked to have seen this as a MAX book. :heybaby:

New Avengers 44: A great look at just how vile the Skrulls were to Earthlings, even in planning the Invasion. Seeing one of the ways Skrulls advance in what appears to be a caste system, well, a lot of readers might not notice or find it boring, but I was intrigued. And it does explain just about everything Reed was saying in SI #5 about his mind ďstart[ing] this.Ē

Runaways 1: Oddly enough, I think this was my favorite this week, either this and Kick-Ass. Ramos delivered the best art Iíve ever seen out of him, and Moore got the characters almost seamlessly. No Femme-Xavin and no fistigons, both of which I missed, but if thereís no room for them in the story then thatís that, Iím sure bothíll emerge later on. The antagonists this time out claim a lot of anger, and Iím hoping they can explain it as the arc goes on. Itíd be welcome to read about an alien grudge that is NOT directly related to the Skrulls right now. A good first issue for the arc - Iím not sure why they didnít keep the same numbering as this holds up just fine so far.

JimmyF1982
08-28-2008, 09:28 AM
first off i post multiple times in these threads because i only go back as far as my previous post and read from there. i feel like people who just edit their original post get new thoughts skipped by people who have previously visited the thread and are just reading new material. don't know if anyone wondered why i post so much in these threads but there's the explanation.

Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge #2:another great FC mini by Johns. my only complaint would be that a lot of his stuff seems to be lead-up material to FC and shouldn't necessarily be going on during the crisis. i've def. enjoyed his FC material more than morrisons. looking forward to the big showdown with zoom next issue. prob. my favorite flash rogue. gonna be a beatdown.

X-Force #6:
x-23: forty-eight targets, including airborne.
warpath: great, so what's the plan?
wolverine: sixteen apiece. Kill 'em ALL.

fucking brilliant.

Nova #16: another solid issue. not sure that the invasion needed to strech into this many different books (nova and guardians) but i'm collecting them anyway so it's not like i'm spending extra. too bad the "cliffhanger" ending will just be a ruse K'lrt is playing on the other skrulls to distract them and then defeat them with nova's help.

Ryudo
08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
X-Force #6 was indeed awesome, but I still can't wrap my head around how Warren turned back to normal.

Magnum V.I.
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
X-Force #6 was indeed awesome, but I still can't wrap my head around how Warren turned back to normal.

He did it before. Eventually anyway. Just chalk it up to Austenien Secondary Mutation. Angels healing Factor eventually booted out the Apocalypse wings.

Ryudo
08-28-2008, 10:45 AM
He did it before. Eventually anyway. Just chalk it up to Austenien Secondary Mutation. Angels healing Factor eventually booted out the Apocalypse wings.

So
his "new wings" aren't the old wings that he was trying to find in the first place, but instead are new wings that he grew in the metal shells?

Magnum V.I.
08-28-2008, 10:51 AM
So
his "new wings" aren't the old wings that he was trying to find in the first place, but instead are new wings that he grew in the metal shells?

if I recall correctly, when he lost his metal wings the first time, they just "shed" off. I just buy that it happened again this time. And his healing factor accelerated it.

Either way it was badass.

Jonny Z
08-28-2008, 12:02 PM
man, I always enjoy Slott's take on Spider-Man, but it's fucking bullshit that neither Norman or Venom don't know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. And that Peter knows something happened is even more bullshit. I can't wait to hear the whole shitty story.

Also, I'm enjoying secret invasion and all the gaps that are being filled on the back story, but we are what- 5 months into this? And the heroes are still stuck in the Savage Land? I wanna know what happens already!!!!

Slewo.O
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
man, I always enjoy Slott's take on Spider-Man, but it's fucking bullshit that neither Norman or Venom don't know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. And that Peter knows something happened is even more bullshit. I can't wait to hear the whole shitty story.

Also, I'm enjoying secret invasion and all the gaps that are being filled on the back story, but we are what- 5 months into this? And the heroes are still stuck in the Savage Land? I wanna know what happens already!!!!

:roll: It's not like they already explained that no one remembers that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Besides Norman and Venom knowing was intergel for previous stories like Gwen Stacy's death so obviously Peter would have to know that they once knew or else it'd be weird.

And the heroes aren't in the Savage Land anymore they left it in #5.

iGotKittyPryde
08-28-2008, 01:30 PM
:roll: It's not like they already explained that no one remembers that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Besides Norman and Venom knowing was intergel for previous stories like Gwen Stacy's death so obviously Peter would have to know that they once knew or else it'd be weird.

Technically they didn't leave. They just seemed as though they were about to.

Jonny Z
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

i'm not sure what your point is there-

I'm saying that "magical logic" is stupid. Venom should know at a genetic level who spider-man is- and he should recognize him when he is in the room with him as peter parker. i'm nitpicking, but it's all just so silly at this point and there has been a pretty good run of stories lately where i've sort of forgotten "One More Day" up until now, where we have the biggest story arc of the year.

and Norman Osborn killed Gwen Stacy- what is the "magical logic" behind peter parker knowing the circumstances of that event but Norman Osborn conveniently forgetting?

my copy of number 5 and every single one of my tie-ins suggest that we are still in the first stage of the invasion and have not progressed past the heroes leaving the savage land. maybe the last pages of my comics were all torn out by magical mephisto elves.

Slewo.O
08-28-2008, 03:43 PM
i'm not sure what your point is there-

I'm saying that "magical logic" is stupid. Venom should know at a genetic level who spider-man is- and he should recognize him when he is in the room with him as peter parker. i'm nitpicking, but it's all just so silly at this point and there has been a pretty good run of stories lately where i've sort of forgotten "One More Day" up until now, where we have the biggest story arc of the year.

and Norman Osborn killed Gwen Stacy- what is the "magical logic" behind peter parker knowing the circumstances of that event but Norman Osborn conveniently forgetting?

my copy of number 5 and every single one of my tie-ins suggest that we are still in the first stage of the invasion and have not progressed past the heroes leaving the savage land. maybe the last pages of my comics were all torn out by magical mephisto elves.
Again something obviously happened that made Venom and Osborn forget Peter's identity, it's not impossible. Iron Man and Dr Strange were able to do it so why can't he? As for the "magical logic" I'll explain it for you.

There was a story in Avengers: The Initiative #7 where Peter teamed up with the Scarlet Spiders and it ended with them telling the public that Peter was a government agent who was using a suit of armor that copied Spider-Man's powers. Dan has said that story still plays a big part in the post-BND world. That's one piece of it but there's obviously more and I'm sure it'll be explained in the coming months, the reason we're not getting it right away is because they didn't want to reveal all their cards yet and just get straight to the action.

As for SI #5 from my POV a spaceship appeared with Mr Fantastic and Agent Brand on it, it looked like they were leaving to NYC so?

nick maynard
08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
totally agree.

cmoney
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
totally agree.

Echoed. Norman not knowing who Peter is totally de-balls him as a villain.

Slewo.O
08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
totally agree.

How?

It doesn't make him any less of a threat. In fact he's more of a threat he's the law and Spidey is viewed as a serial killer and that gives Norman a lot more power to crush him and there's no leverage over him since the government swept his dirty laundry away.

Jonny Z
08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
might as well make peter forget his uncle ever died. now he won't feel so fucking guilty every time he wants to sleep in instead of going out to take down the villain of the week.

Slewo.O
08-28-2008, 08:19 PM
might as well make peter forget his uncle ever died. now he won't feel so fucking guilty every time he wants to sleep in instead of going out to take down the villain of the week.

:mistrust:

changingshades
08-28-2008, 08:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/changingshades/1219973242086.jpg

Blake Sims
08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Final Crisis: Rogue's Revenge #2- Pretty good issue. I liked the new developments. The reveal of Zoom's motivations made sense. I like the way Johns protrays Libra. The third issue has a lot of loose ends to tie up. Kolins art is great as always. Can't wait till the next issue.

Final Crisis #2- I put off getting this and #3 for a little while. I was lukewarm with the first issue, but after hearing about them I decided to check it out. I liked that Morrison brought the Seven Soldiers Mr Miracle into all of this. I suppose we'll see how all of the stuff with Batman turns out. I'm still iffy on the art. Some panels look good while others look really stiff. The last page looked pretty cool though.

Final Crisis #3- I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. The art looked better than in previous issues. I guess I'll just see the remaining issues out to see what happens. Morrison's got my attention.

Madman Atomic Comics #10- Good issue. Not as far out as previous issue but still a solid read.

Superman Beyond- Fun stuff. 3-D was a nice touch.

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds- Not too bad. I read the Action Comics Legion story so I was up to date on the Legions goings on. Some parts I had to reread to keep a few things straight. I''ll probably get #2 when it comes out.

Mark Katzoff
08-29-2008, 06:14 AM

If it wipes out the story where Norman slept with Gwen, it wouldn't be all bad. :cool: To play devil's advocate, I could come up with a decent recent for Norman to kill Gwen without knowing who Spider-Man was: Spider-Man had been implicated in the death of her father shortly before, so Norman figures the best way to screw with Spider-Man's head is to put him in a situation where he can't save the daughter.

Slewo.O
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
If it wipes out the story where Norman slept with Gwen, it wouldn't be all bad. :cool: To play devil's advocate, I could come up with a decent recent for Norman to kill Gwen without knowing who Spider-Man was: Spider-Man had been implicated in the death of her father shortly before, so Norman figures the best way to screw with Spider-Man's head is to put him in a situation where he can't save the daughter.

Norman did know who Peter was they confirmed it in NWTD. But Peter did something that caused him to forget. But unfortunately the Goblin babies are still in continuity, they've been mentioned a few times by Spidey in passing.

Howlett
08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Posting these in hide tags to keep the post as small as I can. Anyone wants to read the reviews without having to constantly click the "hide" button, just click the link in my sig :)

Glad to see this series is starting to pick up again. The last arc was decent, but not exactly stellar, but this one was downright excellent. Definitely looking forward to seeing where this is going now. Also, Babe the Ox is my fucking hero!

This was a really cool issue. I seem to remember reading the opening piece ages ago though. I'm pretty sure it was from Sandman, and if so, that's a really cool connection. So far, this series is impressing me more than I expected it to. Great stuff.

Well it's about damn time! It looks like we're finally starting to get some serious hints as to what Peter does and doesn't remember from OMD. I know that in regular comic terms, this reveal is about on schedule since it's been six months, but with Amazing's thrice monthly schedule, it's been nearly 25 issues. FAR too bloody long to be leaving fans guessing about something this important. Regardless though, this issue was just excellent. And I'm honestly glad I can say that about a Spider-Man comic again. I haven't been a big supporter about the basic idea that Norman Osborn is the new leader of the Thunderbolts, but I definitely enjoyed him here. And the birth of Anti-Venom was done really well too. Great stuff all around.

I never read the Skrull Kill Krew comic when it came out, so I don't have the same affection for them that others seem to have, but I definitely enjoyed this issue. I'm starting the feel that I'm only reading this for the Secret Invasion story though, because I'm starting to feel about the Initiative almost the same way I feel about the New Warriors. I can barely remember half the cast's names at this point. I'll probably be dropping this book shortly.

Still better than the run has been before Secret Invasion, but I'll be honest, this was a total let down for me after the last issue. Pretty much everything about this was obvious and the whole Panther/ Super Skrull fight was just too much like Panther has been shown in recent years (able to win impossible odds with barely, if even, a scratch) and the reveal with Storm's back up was such a surprise, I think I actually forgot to be shocked. Big ol' meh.

Good story arc overall. Not one of my favourites of Bru's run (might be because he was co-writer on this one) but still good. I'm really growing to like Dakota North so the way her father was brought into the story interests me.

This was a surprisingly good issue. I wasn't too keen on the artwork, but the story was decent and gave some good info into how things are done in Marvel's heaven.

This was a fairly spectacular meh for me. I'm loving the main mini of Secret Invasion, and I've loved the Avengers tie-in's to date, but this one just bored me. I really don't give a crap about Hank Pym anymore so having several of the tie-in issues be Pym focused just bored me. Overall, a fairly forgettable issue of the event, unfortunately.

And this read wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was expecting an issue starring the Illuminati and showing how they prepared for the invasion. Instead, it's an entire issue dedicated to the Skrulls. And a brutal issue it was too Great stuff though, and Tan's art was excellent.

I just read two issues of this, and all I took from it is that some people who are dead are really dead and not Skrully-dead and that I really and truly couldn't care less about the New Warriors book now if I tried. I can't even remember one team members name outside of the dude who used to be someone else and was a brother to the original Night Thrasher and is now the current Night Thrasher. Completely forgettable book.

Damn good Secret Invasion tie-in. It doesn't really tie-in for the most part until the last few pages but when it does, it's a big surprise how things go. This SI story is also a lead in to She-Hulk so it was cool to see the connections between the two books.

This comic really should've been subtitled on the cover "Starring Jackpot", because Spider-Man isn't in this fucking thing at all. This is all about Pete's supporting cast. It's my only real gripe with the mini, and it's a big enough one to really bother me. Anyone getting this and expecting to read a Spider-Man comic... and let's face it, should they expect any less of a comic with his name in the title?... is going to be sorely fucking disappointed and irked. Overall though, the story was enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I'll be honest. I was bored to utter tears by this comic when it started. Sure, it had moments, but overall that was it. Moments. It just never grabbed me. I picked up the last issue for the Secret Invasion crossover arc with X-Factor and enjoyed it, but figured that was mainly because of the X-Factor involvement. Having read this issue though, I'm tempted to give Peter David's run a chance. The writing was funny as hell when it needed to be, serious when needed and the art was just excellent. I think I'd pick this book up at the moment for that alone.

Three issues, a quarter of the way through the story, and I'm still bored off my hairy man-tits. Not only is the story moving at a zombiefied snail's pace, but the art by Garney is probably the worst I've ever seen from the guy. I get to read this for free, so I'll probably stick with it to the end, but honestly, if I forgot to read the next issue and never finished this story, I doubt I'd notice.

Definitely liking this tie-in. I've actually just managed to get the full Ellis run now, so I'll be catching up soon. Good artwork and the story was done fairly well. I'm still not sold on this team as a basic premise, but I'm definitely more interested now thanks to this and Amazing Spider-Man this week.

Brilliant issue, which doesn't surprise me. I'll admit, I was completely against this story initially. The fact that this 8 issue alternate future story was interrupting the story in the main book annoyed the hell out of me. But as much as I hate alternate future timeline stories with a passion, this one is proving to be downright excellent.

Great ending to the first arc. The return of Archangel was done well, and seeing him cut loose was just awesome. Not wild on how Rahne has been utilised in this series so far though. She was perfect in X-Factor, but here she's just been the damsel in distress until they needed something shocking and she goes unexpectedly nuts. Not a fan of that portrayal at all. Wolverine, X-23 and Warpath have been done really well though. It's great seeing Wolverine leading a team of X-Men whose sole purpose is to take out the threats that are too big to leave alive.

Finally, we get to see Cyclops confront Xavier about everything Baldy X has done wrong. This was an excellent issue that was far too long in coming in my opinion. The Hellfire Club thing isn't interesting me that much, but the Rogue stuff is looking good. Glad to see her in the book again.

Probably my least favourite issue of the series so far, but still, the set up for the conclusion was done well. Definitely going to be looking forward to the end of this.

And from last week...

This issue was just brilliance. Finally, a Transformers writer has taken the concept of the conquerors that the Decepticons are and SHOWN it properly. Right here on Earth. The first issue was big. Everything was done huge. But this issue shows the 'Cons getting down to taking out the people on a more personal level. Once Frenzy shows up, let's just say I find new respect for one of the Cassettecons. Also, we're finally introduced to a new human character who's actually pretty badass. The character's second name will be familiar to any TF fan and I have to admit, I'm actually pleased to see it. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

This issue is both really good and really bad. It's good in that we finally get a resolution to the whole Magnificence/ Doubledealer plot, set up way back on Spotlight Hot Rod and bad in that you can pretty much tell that this was supposed to play out over a larger arc. One that got cut down in favour of All Hail Megatron. Still though, overall this is a decent issue. We finally get to see Hot Rod using his smarts, we get some explanations as to what happened to Monstructor and Sixshot, the lead-up to the creation of the Autobot Pretenders, and we get the return of a Decepticon thought dead since as far back as Stormbringer.

Mylazycat
08-29-2008, 08:09 PM

I also agree. It also completely craps on years of classic Spidey stories driven by Norman knowing who Peter was. Just one more way OMD has screwed over the Spider-Man character. I'm so glad I've only kept to Ultimate Spider-Man since BND, although I certainly don't fault anyone who enjoys it, I just choose not to support it with my money.

InigoMontoya
08-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Mighty Avengers 10/10 and New Avengers 10/10

Typical, I've never given a comic 10/10 before then 2 come along at the same time. The more we learn about the scrulls the more horrifying the process becomes. Both these episodes where so so brutal.

I really hope that the hero of this cross over is the really hank pim.

Mylazycat
08-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Mighty Avengers 10/10 and New Avengers 10/10.

YES!

Someone who loved these issues as much as I did. I thought they were great, as was Avengers The Initiative #16.

Slewo.O
08-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I also agree. It also completely craps on years of classic Spidey stories driven by Norman knowing who Peter was. Just one more way OMD has screwed over the Spider-Man character. I'm so glad I've only kept to Ultimate Spider-Man since BND, although I certainly don't fault anyone who enjoys it, I just choose not to support it with my money.

Um yeah how does it crap on those stories? They still happened it's just that at the CURRENT moment Norman doesn't remember.

Dan Slott is one of the biggest Spider-Man fans around do you really think he doesn't care about those classic stories either? Besides they've got a plan in mind it just requires a thing comic books have always required an in ongoing story.

Patience. Also how has BND screwed over Spider-Man? It's revitalized the character and made his comic cool again on it's own merits and has tantalizing stories again.

But if you don't like the BND stuff, I'm not going to fault you and besides Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome stuff.

This comic really should've been subtitled on the cover "Starring Jackpot", because Spider-Man isn't in this fucking thing at all. This is all about Pete's supporting cast. It's my only real gripe with the mini, and it's a big enough one to really bother me. Anyone getting this and expecting to read a Spider-Man comic... and let's face it, should they expect any less of a comic with his name in the title?... is going to be sorely fucking disappointed and irked. Overall though, the story was enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Dude people have known for months Spider-Man himself isn't in the SI: Spider-Man story, it's about how his supporting cast deals with SI so it isn't inaccurate. One of the pillars of the current Spider-Man stories is his supporting cast and it's not like it's a bad thing he makes a cameo at the end if you know what I mean. ;)

Besides even if he was what could you tell that isn't already being told in the main series since he is one of the main characters involved?

Mr. Sean
08-31-2008, 05:49 PM
So, the spidey identity thing...

I was against the idea of OMD, and the execution was extra silly too, in my opinion.

That said, I've been thinking this week about how apparently people used to know who Spidey was, and now don't remember, and don't really seem to care that they don't remember.

It reminded me of the Sentry, in his first mini, how his watchtower just broadcasts a signil that makes everyone forget who he is or that he existed, even when theyre looking at a photograph of him. And peter and bob used to be on the same team together...

just sayin'

Dusty
08-31-2008, 06:14 PM
As always, posted in order of how I read them. (when I actually get a chance to read and post before the thread is down)

Wolverine #69 - This story just continues to kick serious ass. I really wish Millar would continue writing Wolverine, as I really enjoyed Enemy of the State, and Old Man Logan is every bit as entertaining. Steve McNiven's art is it's usually amazing self.

9.2/10

Kick-Ass #4 - One of the best comics on the stands! This is the most entertained I've ever been reading a creator owned comic. Millar is doing some of his finest writing, and Romita Jr. and Tom Palmer show exactly why they are industry legends. Would love to see Tom Palmer (my all time favorite inker) back inking one of the Avengers books full time.

9.5/10

Amazing Spider-Man #569 - Dan Slott and John Romita Jr. (inked awesomely by Klaus Janson, as always) are making a killer Spidey story. It's the first of the Brand New Day material that I will buy in collection, assuming the quality sustains. This story has everything a Spider-Man fan could want. (except for Mary Jane) The Romita Jr. covers for this story are some of the best I've ever seen for any comic.

9.3/10

Skaar: Son of Hulk #3 - This looks to be a slow build, and one that I am onboard for. I absolutely loved the old Marvel Conan series, so it's great to see a tip of the hat to that stuff. Pak has impressed me with his Hulk stuff, and I feel he got the shaft on that series, even though I'm enjoying Loeb's series, and this is a pretty interesting idea. Ron Garney is doing very strong work, with several panels capturing a John Buscema vibe, which is what Quesada wanted. The backup story with the amazing Butch Guice on art is also good stuff. This series seems like the type that could grow on me more and more and more and more...

8.4/10

Mighty Avengers #17 - I really need to sit down and reread all of this SI stuff from Bendis in the 2 Avengers book and the mini series. The fractured storytelling is something that definitely works best like that. The story itself was interesting enough, but I can't tell you how much Khoi Pham is killing this series for me. I hope this mistake is rectified quickly, with a stronger artist chosen for the series ASAP!!!

6.7/10

Next up:

New Avengers #44
Daredevil #110
She-Hulk #32
Ultimate Spider-Man #125
X-Men: Legacy #215
New Exiles #10
X-Force #6
Avengers: Iniative #16

I only spend so much time and money on Marvel because I hate Marvel!

Howlett
09-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Dude people have known for months Spider-Man himself isn't in the SI: Spider-Man story, it's about how his supporting cast deals with SI so it isn't inaccurate. One of the pillars of the current Spider-Man stories is his supporting cast and it's not like it's a bad thing he makes a cameo at the end if you know what I mean. ;)

Besides even if he was what could you tell that isn't already being told in the main series since he is one of the main characters involved?

Correction. People online who seek out information on upcoming stories or who read solicitations for upcoming months knew he himself wasn't in the SI: Spider-Man story. Most people actually tend to avoid solicitations and anything even remotely spoiler worthy because they like to be surprised by a story.

Well, surprise! Spider-Man isn't in a comic titled "Secret Invasion: SPIDER-MAN"... wait, that one might annoy some people who picked up the book expecting to see him, wouldn't it? ;)

Oh, and that "cameo"? Yeah, that doesn't count. At all. In any way, shape or form :?

As for what could be told here that couldn't be told in the main mini? How about the entire story from his perspective in Savage Land? Like what the New Avengers issue did, but more in depth?

As I said, I wasn't pissed he wasn't in it. I was stating that the title might piss some people off because they pick up a Spider-Man comic expecting to read about Spider-Man and instead get some unknown red-headed superhero (which at this point, Jackpot pretty much is), his former workmates and his best friends getting attacked by Skrulls. But no Spider-Man. A simple "Starring Jackpot" subtitle would've been appreciated.