PDA

View Full Version : So its no fun being single...

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
So it sort of sucks being the only single guy in your group of friends who are at the part of their life when they are all in long term relationships.

For example the past two weekends I've done nothing but stay home and entertain myself. In the past we would be always be getting together, hitting the city, a bar or whatever.

So anyone else ever been in this situation? What am I talking about of course it's comic message board ;)

But its sort of aggravating when all your friends pretty much have only time for the their girlfriends and none for you. Although if I was in the same situation I'd do the same.

I guess we are all just growing up..

Criden
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, that can be a drag. Try to find some friends that are single, or try to schedule some friends-only time with your friends who have significant others. Good luck, man.

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that can be a drag. Try to find some friends that are single, or try to schedule some friends-only time with your friends who have significant others. Good luck, man.

Those are good suggestions.

Although my 2 single friends outside this group are very non outgoing and prefer to do their own thing. :surrend: Time to find some new friends!

thanks.

EasyE726
08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Make some up.

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Make some up.

like imaginary?

That would be interesting. Going out and talking to non-existant people. The ladies will flock to me. Except they'll be wearing white coats and carrying nets.

Benel Germosen
08-24-2008, 03:45 PM
For example the past two weekends I've done nothing but stay home and entertain myself.

:jackoff:

;)

Brewtown Andy
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
But its sort of aggravating when all your friends pretty much have only time for the their girlfriends and none for you. Your friends are in shitty relationships.

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
:jackoff:

;)

done and done.

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Your friends are in shitty relationships.

pretty much.

BCD
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Last summer every single one of my friends was in a relationship except for me. We're all actually really good about not being the guy who just disappears when he has a girlfriend, so I still got to see them a lot. The part that sucked though was sometimes feeling like the 19th wheel.

This summer things were a bit different, I started it off in a relationship and most of my friends were actually just ending theirs. Mine ended shortly into the summer too and then we were mostly all single. There were the random hookups and the casual ones amongst each other as well.

One thing I've noticed is that when you're single, your female friends are always trying to set you up with one of their friends. In the past this has usually been a bust, but I'm actually in the process of starting something with a friend of my buddy's sugar momma.

With regards to my friends, the only part about being single I didn't like was the extra wheel feeling that sometimes came about. Of course it helps that my friends are awesome and for the most part maintain a strong social life even when they're with someone.

Humphrey_Lee
08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd kill myself, honestly. Though that seems to be my solution to everything. Except suicidal tendencies. Not sure how to lick that problem...

... I'm not helping am I? ;)

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I'd kill myself, honestly. Though that seems to be my solution to everything. Except suicidal tendencies. Not sure how to lick that problem...

Yikes! I'm glad I'm not suicidal or I'd be in trouble:surrend:

gomi
08-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Every time I feel bummed out about being single I just open my window so I can hear my married neighbors screaming at each other about nothing at all. Then I close the window and feel better about being single.

Josh V
08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Talk to your friends, I mean seriously if they are decent friends than after hearing that you feel like you don't get to see them in any situation where it's just you guys then they should make some concessions. However you also have to understand that the time they are going to be able to give you is less than it's been in the past. As long as both you and them come to those understandings than you should be able to spend time with them with no problems.

The other thing though is what you said that if you were in a relationship you'd be doing the same things, maybe you realize that you are probably holding out hope that things aren't going to change for any of you and are seeing how that isn't realistic. Good luck in getting out there and meeting new people.

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Every time I feel bummed out about being single I just open my window so I can hear my married neighbors screaming at each other about nothing at all. Then I close the window and feel better about being single.

:lol:

xanderharris
08-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Talk to your friends, I mean seriously if they are decent friends than after hearing that you feel like you don't get to see them in any situation where it's just you guys then they should make some concessions. However you also have to understand that the time they are going to be able to give you is less than it's been in the past. As long as both you and them come to those understandings than you should be able to spend time with them with no problems.

The other thing though is what you said that if you were in a relationship you'd be doing the same things, maybe you realize that you are probably holding out hope that things aren't going to change for any of you and are seeing how that isn't realistic. Good luck in getting out there and meeting new people.

Thanks.

stevapalooza
08-24-2008, 04:39 PM

Yup. The grass is always greener on the other side.

I say learn how to enjoy being alone. It can be a pretty useful skill in life. I mean as long as it doesn't become long term. Long-term solitude generally leads to mental illness. But short-term solitude can be great. I'd rather be alone than stuck in a situation I hate just because I'm afraid to be alone.

Josh V
08-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks.

No problem, it's easy to get down about these things especially when it seems that everyone around you is tossing their relationship in your face. It's even harder when it's something new for you and for them and it's like they are in that lovey dovey kind of moods where you feel a little akward being around them.

I just think it's something you need to tell your friends but be as respectful and as understanding as possible to what they say.

Bryan H
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM

I thought your solutions always revolved around the killing of others, and in mass quantities?

I guess as long as murder is involved somehow.

Mr. E!
08-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I know what you are going through. I was the last one of my friends to get married. I was 7th wheeling it a lot.
And now, they all have kids, and Christy and I don't. We've stopped getting invites to a lot of things because their lives are now all about the kids. Which sucks, but then again, all they talk about now is the kids, and it gets old really quick.

lonesomefool
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I see where you are coming from. I have got something cooking in terms of a relationship, taking my time with it, but yeah, that can be a shitty feeling.

I do think the single lifestyle has a lot of upsides, but, as I found out last week, you usually have better luck in meeting women when you really are NOT looking. I know it's a cliche, but I have found when you actually are trying to meet someone, you never really do. Not to bum you out or anything, but I do think that is generally true. I mean, last week I went to the bar after a hard/bad day at work to drown myself in booze and met a girl who I wanted to date throughout high school and college and she was the one that forced the issue.

So yeah....just dont give up hope or anything, but try not to let it bother you or come off as desperate, then you definately wont meet someone.

Blandy vs Terrorism
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I know what you are going through. I was the last one of my friends to get married. I was 7th wheeling it a lot.
And now, they all have kids, and Christy and I don't. We've stopped getting invites to a lot of things because their lives are now all about the kids. Which sucks, but then again, all they talk about now is the kids, and it gets old really quick.

Yep.

Humphrey_Lee
08-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I thought your solutions always revolved around the killing of others, and in mass quantities?

I guess as long as murder is involved somehow.

I've gotten lazy in my old age. Now I just try to talk people into offing themselves. Or I offer them cyanide Kool-Aid. I'm the Kevorkian of the chronically single. I'm amazed I'm still around really...

Ashwin Pande
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah.

c. page
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
the vast majority of my friends are married, and/or have kids. it's been this way for awhile now, so i can sympathize.

that said, go meet new people. get some single friends to go out with. it's not that you have to abandon your married/in a relationship friends, but you probably should accept that their goals and yours are (at this time) entirely different things.

and, lonesomefool is right, in regards to a relationship. when you stop looking for one, that's usually when you find it.

Jonathan Callan
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Or schedule some friends-with-benefits time with their significant others.

Humphrey_Lee
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
the vast majority of my friends are married, and/or have kids. it's been this way for awhile now, so i can sympathize.

that said, go meet new people. get some single friends to go out with. it's not that you have to abandon your married/in a relationship friends, but you probably should accept that their goals and yours are (at this time) entirely different things.

and, lonesomefool is right, in regards to a relationship. when you stop looking for one, that's usually when you find it.

Also, strippers need friends too. Sure you may have to pay for a private dance to get some hang out time with them, but at least then you can have boobs in your face at the same time...

I'm helping!!

c. page
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Also, strippers need friends too. Sure you may have to pay for a private dance to get some hang out time with them, but at least then you can have boobs in your face at the same time...

I'm helping!!

*pats head condescendingly*

yes you are, humph. you're helping! good for you!

Humphrey_Lee
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
*pats head condescendingly*

yes you are, humph. you're helping! good for you!

Yay! And now for my next trick... wait... OOOO!! SHINY RED BALL!!!

SgtPepper
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Also, strippers need friends too. Sure you may have to pay for a private dancer to get some hang out time with them, but at least then you can have boobs in your face at the same time...

I'm helping!!

fixed

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/wp-content/content/images/private%20dancer%20cover.jpg

Darthdaw37
08-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Sounds like my life story

SgtPepper
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLCQU8iKalA

Ryudo
08-25-2008, 05:44 AM
I feel your pain, buddy. I HATE being the nth wheel.

Especially when they get all lovey-dovey, and you're like, thanks for reminding me of what I don't have, douchebags.

Urgh.

Humphrey_Lee
08-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I feel your pain, buddy. I HATE being the nth wheel.

Especially when they get all lovey-dovey, and you're like, thanks for reminding me of what I don't have, douchebags.

Urgh.

What if they're only together because they both have herpes and out of all those that herpes they just happen to annoy each other the least and that's why they got/stay together? Do you hate them for reminding you of what you don't have then, which would be herpes?

... seriously, I'm just trying to help!!! :surrend:

Evan the Shaggy
08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
What if they're only together because they both have herpes and out of all those that herpes they just happen to annoy each other the least and that's why they got/stay together? Do you hate them for reminding you of what you don't have then, which would be herpes?

... seriously, I'm just trying to help!!! :surrend:

You still coming to Baltimore right Humphrey?

I'll take you to the local hangouts and try and get you some "Scrapple".