PDA

View Full Version : how's Dead Zone these days?

who cares?
06-10-2005, 02:35 AM
i've only seen up to the end of season 2, on DVDs.... they dont show it that regularly in canada, so i guess i'm waiting for season 3 on DVD...

how's it been lately?

Bill?
06-10-2005, 02:42 AM
season 3, which i think it out on dvd this week, or maybe next week) was dragging at parts, but it really kicked it up a notch in the last episode. the new season starts in america next week i think.

The Roman Candle
06-10-2005, 02:56 AM
You cares.

Bill Nolan
06-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Yeah, season 3 just came out on DVD on Tuesday and season 4 starts Sunday. Season 3 was only 12 episodes. They filmed 13, with sort of a big/finalish ending in the 13th, but since they were renewed for a (23-episode?) fourth season, they held off on airing #13 (it was the second of a two-parter) and filmed some changes so that the story could continue.

Personally, I enjoyed season 3. It's short, so how much can it possibly drag? I was disappointed that they got rid of the Dana character, tho'. And there was a lot of Johnny/Walt/Sarah/JJ family stuff. But the stuff with Frank Whaley as a guy from the future who can talk to Johnny was great.

- Bill

alan
06-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Season 3 is out on DVD. It's only 12 episodes. It's a bit slow in the middle, focusing more on stand alone episodes. But there are some cool guest stars (Richard Lewis, Greg Grunberg, Robert Iler, Judge Rienhold (the last two are in one of the best episodes of the show)). Season 4 starts Sunday.

--Alan

who cares?
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
k, thanks people.....

Genius J
06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm going to be the voice of dissention here and say that Dead Zone started getting really shitty towards the beginning of season 3. The acting and character inconsistencies were just too numerous to ignore.

We now take you to the DEAD ZONE writer's room. A meeting is already in progress...

Writer #1: "We'll have Johnny in the visions as himself, walking through them as an observer as things are frozen in time."

Half a season later...

Writer #2: "No, wait, we've written ourselves into a corner. Let's have him able to participate in the visions."

A few episodes later...

Writer #1: "Shit, this isn't working. How about if he has visions where he's actually one of the people IN the vision? That'll, like, fuck with the viewers' minds, and get us out of this creative hole we're in."

Then...

Writer #2: "I'm out of ideas."
Writer #1: "I've been out of ideas for weeks. How about we change the way the visions work again?"
Writer #2: "Like how?"
Writer #1: "Well, instead of touching people, now he can touch STUFF and get visions."
Writer #2: "I like the way you think."
Writer #1: "Thanks!"
Writer #2: "What kind of stuff?"
Writer #1: "Hmm. Well, I suppose it doesn't matter. Anything even remotely related to anything. Hell, he could even smell something and get a vision off that. It doesn't have to make sense if the sound effects guys add the CHHF-CHHF-CHHF sound that the visions make and then the camera spins around or something."
Writer #2: "Yeah! Viewers are dumb. Good thing we don't respect them."

Time passes...

Writer #2: "Johnny's not running enough. Let's have him sprint after someone."
Writer #1: "But, dude, he carries a cane. Isn't he like, crippled or something?"
Writer #2: "Is he? I forget."

A new season begins...

Writer #1: "Hey, dude? What happened to that Stillson plotline we started like, what was it, twenty episodes ago?"
Writer #2: "Oh, right, I forgot about that. Let's throw something into the beginning of next week's show. A flashback or something."
Writer #1: "Flash-forward, or flash-back?"
Writer #2: "Erm, I dunno. Doesn't matter--it won't have fuck-all to do with the rest of the episode."
Writer #1: "Good idea. Then we can forget about it for a few more weeks."

A few more weeks pass...

Writer #2: "Dude, let's have Johnny get in a fight with someone and chase them."
Writer #1: "Cool. But wait, he can't chase them, he carries a cane. Remember?"
Writer #1: "Hmm. Dammit. Well, fuck it, let's use the cane as some sort of conduit for having visions or something, since he clearly doesn't need to be carrying it for anything like WALKING."
Writer #2: "Fuck yeah, good idea. God damn I'm stoned."

The following week...

Writer #1: "Jonny's ex-girlfriend-who-is-the-mother-of-his-child is just not annoying enough. Let's give her some really trite dialog."
Writer #2: "Ooh, and let's make her work for Stillson! Then we can work him back into the plot without actually furthering it along any."

And so...

Writer #1: "I think the visions need to change again."
Writer #2: "Me too. I'm starting to borrow story ideas from Twilight Zone and Beastmaster. I was halfway through an A-Team plotline when I realized that Mr. T isn't in this show."
Writer #1: "How about we make it so that someone from the future can enter his visions and interact with him?"
Writer #2: "Uh, then it's not a predictive vision of the future any more. It's more of, like, a hallucination or something."
Writer #1: "So?"
Writer #2: "Yeah, but, we're really deviating from what we established in the first couple issues. I mean, this isn't even the same shit any more. None of the visions work like they were originally intended, Johnny's a fucking marathon-running mineshaft-climbing ninja who still needs a walking stick, and the Stillson plotline should have wrapped up about a year ago. Maybe we should quit?"
Writer #1: "Dude, I just bought a new house. I have payments."
Writer #2: "I guess you're right."
Writer #1: "Now let's write me a new swimming pool!"

Genius J
06-10-2005, 09:59 PM
What channel do they show this on in Canada, by the way?

who cares?
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
What channel do they show this on in Canada, by the way?

Space i think.......

Genius J
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Okay, I finally got around to watching the season premier, and...

I STAND BY EVERYTHING I WROTE ABOVE. This show is horseshit.

Bill Nolan
06-16-2005, 02:38 AM
I love the show and I cannot dispute that the season premiere was absolute horseshit. It was almost painfully bad.

- Bill