PDA

View Full Version : Retards: Funny or no?

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I ask in all sincerity. With the current retard crisis in Hollywood, is there room for more movies or comics about them, even if done in a loving and non mocking fashion?

Please discuss this important and sensitive topic with me here, before I have to go back to work.

Kirblar
08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
You just saw Tropic Thunder didn't you.

Slewo.O
08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Ever heard of Bratz the Movie?

I do agree with Doc's assessment on it. It's more funny in animation but it just looks stupid in a live action-flick with a few exceptions. As for comics does Cable & Deadpool count?

Dr. Hackenbush
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I've only found retard based humor to be funny in the animated forum. Live action retard based humor isn't really so amusing. Additionally, this particular subject doesn't seem to translate to the comic medium well either.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
You just saw Tropic Thunder didn't you.

No, of course not, but I heard about it! And it concerns and troubles me. If it is no longer acceptable for anyone, especially someone with a thick, Boston accent, to say "retard", than I am very sad.

Dr. Hackenbush
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Ever heard of Bratz the Movie?

For retards, about retards.

J. R. Scherer
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
No, of course not, but I heard about it! And it concerns and troubles me. If it is no longer acceptable for anyone, especially someone with a thick, Boston accent, to say "retard", than I am very sad.

Say it...! Say "Chow-duh"! Ha. Ha. Ha-Ha.

Ray G.
08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Thu-This Thu-Thu-Thread M-M-Makes me Hu-Hu-Happy.

markhow
As long as you don't go full retard you're OK.

Dave S.
Eh. I'm gonna say no.

But touching and heart-warming? Life Goes On says yes.

RebootedCorpse
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Bush stopped being funny about six years ago.

c. page
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM

ray todd wept.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Bush stopped being funny about six years ago.

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/media/reid_kennedy.jpg
"He's...he's just not funny anymore, as of about six years ago."

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
ray todd wept.

yes!!!

Skatonic10
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I ask in all sincerity. With the current retard crisis in Hollywood,

I thought DC was done with crisises?

:mistrust:

Retard crisis? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wUwk7-7Vc)

Queen of the Ban Age
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Well, I guess I have a different perspective.

When they're not trying to hit you, shake shitfingers in your face, or throwing things, they can be.

Greenville 90210
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Like everything, if done right- yes. Funny.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Well, I guess I have a different perspective.

When they're not trying to hit you, shake shitfingers in your face, or throwing things, they can be.

Yeah, when it's happening to you, NOT funny. When it's happening to Skull Corpse, it's funny. :cool:

greg donovan
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
i always wondered what it meant when someone was Ray Todded. i figured it was sme bizzare sex manuever that was equall parts entertaining and painfull.

Queen of the Ban Age
08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, when it's happening to you, NOT funny. When it's happening to Skull Corpse, it's funny. :cool:

Well, when you put it that way. Definitely.

RebootedCorpse
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Won't happen. I always carry a can of Retard Repellent with me.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Won't happen. I always carry a can of Retard Repellent with me.

An Ann Coulter book?

RebootedCorpse
08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
An Ann Coulter book?

Then I smack him with an issue of The New Yorker when he get close enough.
"Bad, Texan! Baaad!"

Dr. Hackenbush
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
An Ann Coulter book?

Wouldn't that attract retards?

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Then I smack him with an issue of The New Yorker when he get close enough.
"Bad, Texan! Baaad!"

That sounds gayer than Bill Clinton and John Edwards put together.

Put together.

RebootedCorpse
08-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Put together.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/pressclips/Bush,-prince-Abdullah-399-thumb.jpg

Bill!
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
It's not so funny when they're crushing your skull with their crazy retard super strength.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't that attract retards?

Yes, sometimes:

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/godless6.jpg

Dr. Hackenbush
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, sometimes:

Ha! Nice. I love that.

Scribbling on a book like a 7th grader sure shows everyone how right your point of view is.:no: Your point is well taken, sir.

nick maynard
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
its funny when its not so sad.

NathanDetroit
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
It's not so funny when they're crushing your skull with their crazy retard super strength.

my greatest fear. being hugged to death by an overly-friendly retard.

http://www.trueblueliberal.com/wp-content/photos/bush_hug.jpg

Bill!
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
my greatest fear. being hugged to death by an overly-friendly retard.

http://www.trueblueliberal.com/wp-content/photos/bush_hug.jpg
Which one is the retard?

Frozen Sooner
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM

Put together.

Well played. Conjoining to men well-known for having sex with more than one lady to make a gay joke.

Oh, wait. That makes NO DAMN SENSE!!! :D

Bill!
08-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Well played. Conjoining to men well-known for having sex with more than one lady to make a gay joke.

Ethan's sense of humor is basically like throwing as much shit as possible at a wall to see what sticks. But in the end, all you have is a shitty wall, and shit filled hands.

NathanDetroit
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Which one is the retard?

what? no "thank you" for the alley-oop?

Bill!
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
what? no "thank you" for the alley-oop?

:lol:

SgtPepper
08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/pressclips/Bush,-prince-Abdullah-399-thumb.jpg

They are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

Frozen Sooner
08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Ethan's sense of humor is basically like throwing as much shit as possible at a wall to see what sticks. But in the end, all you have is a shitty wall, and shit filled hands.

Well, it may be that (being a Mormon and all) that Ethan thinks anyone not actually MARRIED to more than one woman is at least suspect.

I kid, I kid.

Greenville 90210
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, sometimes:

:Scotland Green stumbles into the thread::

Are her boobs really fake?

::stumbles out::

Evan the Shaggy
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Nothing should be out of bounds in the name of comedy.

Dreg
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I ask in all sincerity. With the current retard crisis in Hollywood, is there room for more movies or comics about them, even if done in a loving and non mocking fashion?

Retard Crisis? I swear, only from the minds at DC...

JimboX
08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
An Ann Coulter book?

That was funny! Man, you're quick!
That made milk come out my nose and I'm not even drinking milk.

Nick_Ardill
08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/FaranKreeg/corky.jpg
CORKY ENDORSES THIS THREAD

dasNdanger
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Making fun of the mentally challenged is a iffy subject for me. Usually, I do not find it amusing, but quite offensive. I'd much rather see geeks and nerds made fun of because - as a rule - we can laugh at ourselves. But when you make fun of a group of people who have no control over their condition, well...that can just be crushing.

das

Wigner's Friend
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
It can be if it's not malicious. For instance, The Retarded Policeman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_wJZGCTNE&feature=user).

King of Mars
08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Making fun of the mentally challenged is a iffy subject for me. Usually, I do not find it amusing, but quite offensive. I'd much rather see geeks and nerds made fun of because - as a rule - we can laugh at ourselves. But when you make fun of a group of people who have no control over their condition, well...that can just be crushing.

dasWhy so serious? It's not like people are making fun of niggers, faggots, or spics? *

* Not trying to sound like a racist/homophobic asshole. Just making a point. This "retard" stuff is no less offensive than that but, for some strange reason, it's considered cool and hip around here. I don't get that.

Skatonic10
08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I ask in all sincerity. With the current retard crisis in Hollywood,

I thought DC was done with crisises?

:mistrust:

Retard crisis? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wUwk7-7Vc)

Retard Crisis? I swear, only from the minds at DC...

hey! Hey! Get your own retard/ DC jokes!

dasNdanger
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Why so serious? It's not like people are making fun of niggers, faggots, or spics? *

* Not trying to sound like a racist/homophobic asshole. Just making a point. This "retard" stuff is no less offensive than that but, for some strange reason, it's considered cool and hip around here. I don't get that.

Well, if I think back to what I saw at school years ago, I think it's a type of bullying, a chance to make oneself look big n' bad at the expense of another. Your aforementioned groups can fight back - pick on them, and you just might get your ass kicked...or, at least, a good talking-to. But the mentally challenged? They usually can't or don't fight back...they may lash out, but that's just something else to laugh at. And besides, 'they don't understand anyway'. Some people have that mentality - like making faces at a blind person - they just figure their 'victim' doesn't understand, so therefore is not 'hurt' by their actions. It's just mean...a way for a small person to feel big. IMO, it doesn't make them cool or hip, just makes 'em look like assholes.

das

Masculine Todd
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
A philosophy instructor once made a very humorous joke about a man grieving the loss of his mother engaging in incestuous necrophilia with the eye sockets of her skull. Now, it sounds horrific, but it was actually quite funny.

There's humor in everything. Remember the insult thread?

EDIT - Ethan's Mormon? I never knew.

Masculine Todd
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, if I think back to what I saw at school years ago, I think it's a type of bullying, a chance to make oneself look big n' bad at the expense of another. Your aforementioned groups can fight back - pick on them, and you just might get your ass kicked...or, at least, a good talking-to. But the mentally challenged? They usually can't or don't fight back...they may lash out, but that's just something else to laugh at. And besides, 'they don't understand anyway'. Some people have that mentality - like making faces at a blind person - they just figure their 'victim' doesn't understand, so therefore is not 'hurt' by their actions. It's just mean...a way for a small person to feel big. IMO, it doesn't make them cool or hip, just makes 'em look like assholes.

das

If I'm making a retard joke, it surely isn't to inflate my own sense of self worth. Same for most people I've known who've told some very humorous retard jokes. The ultimate goal isn't to offend the mentally handicapped or make them seem like inferior, second-class people. Mental retardation can lead to funny jokes, because there's humor to be found in everything. It isn't done so to spite these people, but to deny the black humor of their mental affliction due to the sensitivity of their condition is the same as censoring any other joke due to sensitivity. I don't subscribe to that logic. That isn't to say I condone rattling off retard jokes around a family who's son/daughter/mother/father/uncle/cousin/whatever suffers from a mental handicap, there's a time/place (with liberal, likeminded, not-so-easily offended friends/peers).

Conversely, if the person making the joke adds some sort of anti-retard propaganda, or does so out of some misguided hatred for the mentally handicapped (real animosity towards them), than that's a different subject.

This is my perspective on this issue, anyway. Take if for what it's worth.

Jef UK
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
anti-retard propaganda

King of Mars
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
If I'm making a retard joke, it surely isn't to inflate my own sense of self worth. Same for most people I've known who've told some very humorous retard jokes. The ultimate goal isn't to offend the mentally handicapped or make them seem like inferior, second-class people. Mental retardation can lead to funny jokes, because there's humor to be found in everything. It isn't done so to spite these people, but to deny the black humor of their mental affliction due to the sensitivity of their condition is the same as censoring any other joke due to sensitivity. I don't subscribe to that logic. That isn't to say I condone rattling off retard jokes around a family who's son/daughter/mother/father/uncle/cousin/whatever suffers from a mental handicap, there's a time/place (with liberal, likeminded, not-so-easily offended friends/peers).

Conversely, if the person making the joke adds some sort of anti-retard propaganda, or does so out of some misguided hatred for the mentally handicapped (real animosity towards them), than that's a different subject.

This is my perspective on this issue, anyway. Take if for what it's worth.I don't believe anything is "taboo" when it comes to comedy or self-expression...but most of the "retard" humor I'm seeing these days involves the sort of casual, mean-spirited, unimaginative taunts that would draw the ire of folks on this board if it was aimed at other groups of people (blacks, gays, hispanics). Should "retard humor" be censored? Certainly not...but general, "respectful" use of it does involve some discretion and selectivity. Continually tossing "retard" around like it's some cute, edgy buzzword...to me, that's stupid and disrespectful.

Jef UK
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't believe anything is "taboo" when it comes to comedy or self-expression...but most of the "retard" humor I'm seeing these days involves the sort of casual, mean-spirited, unimaginative taunts that would draw the ire of folks on this board if it was aimed at other groups of people (blacks, gays, hispanics). Should "retard humor" be censored? Certainly not...but general, "respectful" use of it does involve some discretion and selectivity. Continually tossing "retard" around like it's some cute, edgy buzzword...to me, that's stupid and disrespectful.

That's so gay.

Albert
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
That's so gay.

Ur so gay (and you don't even like boys).

Jef UK
08-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Ur so gay (and you don't even like boys).

It's weird how the taboos play out. I wanted to type, "Don't be so niggerly," but I realized the joke I was making probably wouldn't be inferred correctly, which puts a fine point on Iconoclast's remarks--which was also an intention of the joke I wanted to make (along with my saying his remarks were "so gay").

But also, I don't care too much about offensive jokes, given the proper context.

Also: cunt. This thread needed some cunt.

Albert
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
It's weird how the taboos play out. I wanted to type, "Don't be so niggerly," but I realized the joke I was making probably wouldn't be inferred correctly, which puts a fine point on Iconoclast's remarks--which was also an intention of the joke I wanted to make (along with my saying his remarks were "so gay").

But also, I don't care too much about offensive jokes, given the proper context.

Also: cunt. This thread needed some cunt.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/thedailynow/strangetalestaboo-1.jpg

Masculine Todd
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM

...I want a pink iPod mini.

I don't believe anything is "taboo" when it comes to comedy or self-expression...but most of the "retard" humor I'm seeing these days involves the sort of casual, mean-spirited, unimaginative taunts that would draw the ire of folks on this board if it was aimed at other groups of people (blacks, gays, hispanics). Should "retard humor" be censored? Certainly not...but general, "respectful" use of it does involve some discretion and selectivity. Continually tossing "retard" around like it's some cute, edgy buzzword...to me, that's stupid and disrespectful.

Oh, like how "gay" and "fag" are commonly accepted as insults or the "n-word" is a hip slang?

That's the cat's pajamas.

Jef UK
08-18-2008, 10:33 PM

Oh, like how "gay" and "fag" are commonly accepted as insults or the "n-word" is a hip slang?

That's the cat's pajamas.

When you don't pronounce the "r" it's completely different!

Masculine Todd
08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
When you don't pronounce the "r" it's completely different!

I have retarded friends and they're cool with using the "r."

sonnylarue
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
i admit being part of the generation that had no trouble usingf the word
'retard' to tease ,

but now being older, my heart goes out to the truly mentally challenged , and realize how hurtful and demeaning the label is.

that's a no

King of Mars
08-18-2008, 11:09 PM

That's the cat's pajamas.I'd discourage the indiscriminate use of those words, too.

Japhy Ryder
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Fuck this. Fuck fuck fuck fuck and fuck this.

I have a sister with Asperger's. I'm her little brother. Even though her mind has a genius IQ, back in the 80s and 90s, the experts and the kids all thought people who were "different" were fucking "retarded." I had to beat the crap out of people older than me way too often when they laughed at her. It fucking has scarred her for life.

She's still fucked up because assholes (some offense intended to some of you people) toss phrases like that around, and she hears that, and it brings back childhood dreads. All that pain comes flooding back for her. Thanks for that.

The thing people don't realize is that most people labeled "retarded" are not retarded.

THEY ARE TOTALLY CONSCIOUS OF THE PEOPLE LAUGHING AT THEM.

And most of them are just different, many more intelligent (autistic, e.g.), or simply process information differently.

And then, yes, there are the "(mentally) retarded," which is quickly becoming an outdated phrase as various conditions are being analyzed and categorized.

If people reading this use dictionaries... then you probably know that to "retard" is to "slow."

And I think a lot of people here are a bit fucking slow. That without a doubt includes myself. So try using that word instead. I'm a 'slow learner,' as Thomas Pynchon writes.

(I realize this thread started in some jest, but it's still not funny, using that word for fun, and it's in bad taste. It will be for at least the next couple decades. Kids who are not "mentally retarded" are still branded by fourth rate social workers and psychologists as such in 2008 when they're probably just autistic or have some other cerebral differentiation.)

So, to conclude: fuck, fuck, fuck, and fuck that. Seriously. With the exception of using the word 'retard' to literally mean to 'slow.' Otherwise, you're really just fucking with perfectly good people for selfish, ego-driven purposes. It hurts far more people than anyone realizes. And just knowing that, just don't talk that kind of shit.

Japhy Ryder
08-18-2008, 11:24 PM
(By the way, I could go on, talking about how children in other countries are slaughtered at young ages if the parents think the kid is "retarded." But I won't. I don't think I need to do that. Hilarious, right.)

Flonk
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM

Please discuss this important and sensitive topic with me here, before I have to go back to work.

Funny.

XXXenophile
08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Its a Catch-22 for sure:

Everything I've heard bout Tropic Thunder tells me I'll laugh uproariously (and I am disabled) and therefore the rights groups need to shut up.

Then I see something like "The Ringer" with Knoxville bout the Special Olympics and while its a movie made with the best intentions and the right idea and full support, I ask why no one PICKETED THIS MOVIE TO DEATH!

But PC groups have to get up in everyone's face about anything that can remotely go political without a moment's thought. Its ridiculous

Flonk
08-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Funny.

addendeum...

Funny.

My uncle is retarded. Really retarded. Like "can't even form words" retarded. Wears a helmet (or as we call it, his "hat") smacks his chest, checkered pants, the whole deal. His brian is the size of a walnut or something, I don't know the details. The fact that he's reached the age of 50, I find to be an incredibly amazing thing.

Anyways, I was with my mom (his older sister) at his special "school" and one of the other guys there was wearing a shit that said "My batteries have run out!!!" You know, one of those shirts that the stressed out soccer mom would wear. Anyhoodle, my mom starts giggling under her breath, elbowing me in the ribs. You know, to make sure I see the retard wearing the shirt that says he's brain dead.

My mom has lived with her brother her whole life. Now that my grandparents are gone, she's in charge of my uncle's well being. Also, this other retard doesn't buy his own clothes, someone bought that shirt for him, and allows him to wear it. Finally, the staff at this fine establisment, have no problem dressing the retard in a shirt that mocks him. I say, if the people who live and work directly with the mentaly disabled can make fun of them, then by golly I can too!

XXXenophile
08-19-2008, 12:37 AM

das

No matter what Das, if a joke about the disabled is funny, we'll laugh. All a matter of context. Most jokes should be put to final testing to a group of the topic's peers. If they laugh at it, everyone will.

Japhy Ryder
08-19-2008, 12:39 AM
There are extremes, no doubt.

People who hear retard and laugh because they're trained to do so... Yeah.

The PC groups that don't understand at what point humor and satire works (and in Tropic Thunder it mostly worked), are sinking their own ships.

What it comes down to is people who don't have the judgment or experience to understand or grasp the difference. In those cases, those people need to be mature or silent.

Japhy Ryder
08-19-2008, 12:46 AM
No matter what Das, if a joke about the disabled is funny, we'll laugh. All a matter of context. Most jokes should be put to final testing to a group of the topic's peers. If they laugh at it, everyone will.

I don't understand. "If they laugh it, everyone will?" Where does the popular vote come into play? If there are twenty kids: 15 are norms, 3 are aspergers or autistic, 1 is physically retarded, and the last is unknown. The majority laughs, say sixteen, maybe eighteen. What about the other two? What if it haunts them for years?

I myself have a disability, and most of this stuff rolls of my back, but I watch out for the people whose skins are too thin from so many beatings.

WinterRose
08-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Not funny. Not heart-warming. Not inspirational. Actually, quite horrifying for me. I'd always get that one on the bus too when I lived up in seattle. No matter what bus I was on... they were staring at me with a deeply retarded gaze out of one eye while the other stared off in a kind of 40 degree angle from the first while they slowly drooled on their shirt. I have a horror of brain dysfunction. And soon, I had something of a horror of the bus.

So yeah. NOT funny.

Caley Tibbittz
08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Yes. But I make holocaust jokes.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-19-2008, 06:12 AM

Oh see, I signed off too soon.

Ann Coulter accused both men of being gay. I realize both are heterosexual men. It's too late to clarify this point to you now, but I do it anyway, out of love.

RebootedCorpse
08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Not funny. Not heart-warming. Not inspirational. Actually, quite horrifying for me. I'd always get that one on the bus too when I lived up in seattle. No matter what bus I was on... they were staring at me with a deeply retarded gaze out of one eye while the other stared off in a kind of 40 degree angle from the first while they slowly drooled on their shirt. I have a horror of brain dysfunction. And soon, I had something of a horror of the bus.

So yeah. NOT funny.

Can we make fun of your irrational fears?

SgtPepper
08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I think it can work with something like The Ringer or if the point is satire of something else as in Tropic Thunder

Back in middle school, they tried to put me on the special bus.
It was a balmy and brilliant day in that time of the year where summer wanes and autum waxes strong, you can smell it in the air. The trees seem to know that soon they will shed their greenery for the brilliant fireworks of the temperate woods. School had just let out for the day. I'd just gotten out of band, and had raced to my locker after carefuly placing my bari sax in the crushed velvet of it's casing. At my locker, I'd gathered what I needed to work on that night, and grabbed my Zebco Red Rhino fishing hat. The hat had come with my fishing reel that my Big Brother Andrew had given me. I walked out near the gym doors, relieved that another day was behind me. I jauntily placed my cap on my pate and headed for my bus. The bus had not arrived, which was not unusual, so I decided to stand on the sidewalk and wait for it. All of a sudden, I found myself in shadow. I glanced behind me and saw that it was the gym teacher. He grabbed my arm and said, "C'mon, I gotta get you to your bus." Being a good little conformist, I went along with this, assuming that the bus for Heartland Crossing had been changed. As we get closer to the bus, I notice it says "Rise Special Services" on the side. So I'm thinking, "What the fuck is going on here?" So we get to the door of the bus, and the driver, chomping on a piece of gum as cow chews cud, takes one look at me and says, "He ain't one of mine." The gym teacher looks at me, and realizes the gross error he's just made. Embarassed, he walks away.
You really can't say anything to someone you've basically called retarded. What lead him to think that way, I'll never know, but I believe it might have been the baseball cap.
I've never worn a baseball ever again.

dasNdanger
08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I think it can work with something like The Ringer or if the point is satire of something else as in Tropic Thunder

Back in middle school, they tried to put me on the special bus.
It was a balmy and brilliant day in that time of the year where summer wanes and autum waxes strong, you can smell it in the air. The trees seem to know that soon they will shed their greenery for the brilliant fireworks of the temperate woods. School had just let out for the day. I'd just gotten out of band, and had raced to my locker after carefuly placing my bari sax in the crushed velvet of it's casing. At my locker, I'd gathered what I needed to work on that night, and grabbed my Zebco Red Rhino fishing hat. The hat had come with my fishing reel that my Big Brother Andrew had given me. I walked out near the gym doors, relieved that another day was behind me. I jauntily placed my cap on my pate and headed for my bus. The bus had not arrived, which was not unusual, so I decided to stand on the sidewalk and wait for it. All of a sudden, I found myself in shadow. I glanced behind me and saw that it was the gym teacher. He grabbed my arm and said, "C'mon, I gotta get you to your bus." Being a good little conformist, I went along with this, assuming that the bus for Heartland Crossing had been changed. As we get closer to the bus, I notice it says "Rise Special Services" on the side. So I'm thinking, "What the fuck is going on here?" So we get to the door of the bus, and the driver, chomping on a piece of gum as cow chews cud, takes one look at me and says, "He ain't one of mine." The gym teacher looks at me, and realizes the gross error he's just made. Embarassed, he walks away.
You really can't say anything to someone you've basically called retarded. What lead him to think that way, I'll never know, but I believe it might have been the baseball cap.
I've never worn a baseball ever again.

Okay - since we're sharing...

Back when I was about 11 or 12, I was in the back seat of the car - alone - as mom went through the drive-up window at the bank. After she finished her transaction, she found a dog biscuit in the bank envelope. She asked the teller what the biscuit was for, and the girl said, "For the dog in the back seat."

:?

The girl? She was very sorry. Mom? To this day she still thinks it's a riot, and tells everyone the story. Me? No one - no how, no way - can make me change my hairstyle, not even if they think it makes me look like a pooch.

Woof.

das

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
08-19-2008, 08:29 AM
The genuinely mentally handicapped? Not funny. I've said before, I find them disturbing.

People pretending to be retarded? Funny, depending on how over the top it is.

Frozen Sooner
08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh see, I signed off too soon.

Ann Coulter accused both men of being gay. I realize both are heterosexual men. It's too late to clarify this point to you now, but I do it anyway, out of love.

Oh, sorry. I don't pay much attention to the schoolyard insults that Coulter hurls at people.

Skatonic10
08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I have retarded friends and they're cool with using the "r."

My pirate friends feel the same way.

But seriously, getting back to the retards:

The local morning show here took heart to this retard outrage when the story originally broke. So instead of being insulting, and calling people "retards", they now affectionaly call them "window lickers". Which in my opinion, sounds a lot better. I mean, people have to have a label, right?

Mr. Sean
08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
not funny.

Patrick J
08-19-2008, 06:38 PM
:shifty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClfU2NStY
:-?

Never intentionally funny... and when funny, usually due to situations they've been placed in by other people who don't seem to know better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aJFSpkxjtY

stevapalooza
08-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes retards are funny. But what's even funnier? Retards flying.

King of Mars
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
My pirate friends feel the same way.

But seriously, getting back to the retards:

The local morning show here took heart to this retard outrage when the story originally broke. So instead of being insulting, and calling people "retards", they now affectionaly call them "window lickers". Which in my opinion, sounds a lot better. I mean, people have to have a label, right?That's the sort of "retard" humor that is just stupid and offensive. It's on the same intellectual level as the sort of humor you'll hear from two rednecks sitting around making nigger jokes.

Flonk
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Yes retards are funny. But what's even funnier? Retards flying.

Fat lot of good that helmet will do them now...

Benel Germosen
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
You're still funny Ethan, so…yeah, I guess.

No, I kid.

I don't kidNo, I kid

Flonk
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
not funny.

Why not?