PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone reccomend a good MMOPG?

Jason California
08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Besides War Craft.

I have been playing a couple of browser games for the last few years but they now completely bore me. I would like something new and very good.

Busman
08-15-2008, 09:25 PM
There's nothing really like that out right now, sadly.

Conan is decent, for a little bit, apparently.

I've been going the other way lately. I broke out some EQ and some AC the other day.

Jason California
08-15-2008, 09:26 PM

I've been going the other way lately. I broke out some EQ and some AC the other day.

I am not sure what those are initials for. I am not a big gamer, don't know the lingo.

Busman
08-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I am not sure what those are initials for. I am not a big gamer, don't know the lingo.

Everquest and Asheron's Call. Both released in 1999.

Jason California
08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Everquest and Asheron's Call. Both released in 1999.

Thanks. I know of Everquest.

There is supposed to be a Stargate and Star Wars game coming out this year right?

Busman
08-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks. I know of Everquest.

There is supposed to be a Stargate and Star Wars game coming out this year right?

I wouldn't count on it. Only if we're really lucky. Don't expect the Stargate one to be good.

Slewo.O
08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Play FFXI, it's easy to get into and it's alot of fun and won't require too much time to get around.

Jason California
08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Play FFXI, it's easy to get into and it's alot of fun and won't require too much time to get around.

That is Playsation right? I wont be buying one of those, so if it is that is a negative ghost rider.

MabusRex
08-15-2008, 09:44 PM
E.V.E. Online? I've heard that one's pretty good.

Challenger
08-15-2008, 09:45 PM
FFXI has a PC version as well, It is a good game, I used to play before I moved to universaty accomadations which prevents me from playing.

Briomega
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM

AC is still going? Wow.

Busman
08-15-2008, 09:48 PM
AC is still going? Wow.

Crazy, eh?

Briomega
08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Crazy, eh?

All things considered, it really is. I was there back when it launched. Worked as an Advocate and a tester for it and AC2. Also ran a network site dedicated to the game. I spent a good chunk of time playing it. Very fond memories.

Busman
08-15-2008, 09:59 PM
All things considered, it really is. I was there back when it launched. Worked as an Advocate and a tester for it and AC2. Also ran a network site dedicated to the game. I spent a good chunk of time playing it. Very fond memories.

You can reup for a 7 or 14 day free trial, iirc, and take a lil stroll down the ol' nostalgia lane. I've really been enjoying myself. Man I wish they had held back on AC2 a little longer, it coulda been brilliant.

WillieLee
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
World of Warcraft.

Busman
08-15-2008, 10:01 PM
World of Warcraft.

Seriously, 2-3 words in.

Briomega
08-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You can reup for a 7 or 14 day free trial, iirc, and take a lil stroll down the ol' nostalgia lane. I've really been enjoying myself. Man I wish they had held back on AC2 a little longer, it coulda been brilliant.

Yeah, it got hamstringed. It was a shame. The plans they had were really cool, though they at least got to use some of them in AC.

Heh, funny thing is I still have a giant map of Dereth on my wall. :) It's a very limited edition to scale map.

gibbEy
08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I've been playing Star Wars Galaxies for a long time....have met, and kept, some great friends....really enjoy it....

I know there are different opinions on it, but I started from day one, took a break for about a year and a half, came back about three years ago, and have been playing ever since....it's lots of fun :)

Finncognito
08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Lord of the Rings Online is pretty good, at least if you're into the setting.

HamsterJam
08-16-2008, 12:20 AM
From what i've heard Conan still has a lot of bugs and it just isn't ready yet. Come back to it in about a year or so and it might be much better with less kinks. I've started playing a 14 day trial of EVE, you can just download it, and it's not a massive download either. I think it's ok, it's very complicated and I've played a lot of MMORPG's in my time. Interface is hard to understand even with all the help as there is a lot going on, but I suspect if you get a taste for it in the 14 days, the manual will give you more info. Also, the DC MMORPG is on it's way too, so I might give that a look, but my only worry is that it will be exactly the same as City of Heroes but with famous NPCs (Non Player Characters) giving you the missions like Batman etc. If they've been really clever, and built all the famous cities Gotham, Metropolis, and populated each with the appropriate villains and heroes, and other poeple like Gordon etc, then it could be amazing. You could work for Two Face or go the other way and get a mission from Robin and work your way up to being a trusted source for Batman. It needs a lot of thought to make it good and not just a City of Heroes knock off. I want it to succeed, the graphics do look good and all, but they have to back it up with good story and decent events or else it's pointless. I mean, imagine if after 2 years of the game being out, No Man's land happens in Gotham. How awesome would that be for an event. All you've built up there, money etc, becomes pointless, so you can either leave or get down and dirty. There are a whole world of events they could lay out and don't even have to make them up like they do for WoW, it's all there, in chronological order already. Zero Hour, Underworld Unleashed, etc.

hotdogdownahallway
08-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Ultima Online, I loved that game, though I don't know how it is now.

You can play on a free server to boot too.

mike black
08-16-2008, 04:37 AM
http://warhammeronline.com/

Open beta starts in a week, the game launches Sept 18th. It's the pvp MMO (that doesn't suck, Funcom.)

CougarTrace
08-16-2008, 05:25 AM
I tried playing Conan but it is buggy and I just can't get into it.

Now, I haven't played WOW, but Guild Wars was always the best I played and it doesn't have a monthly charge.

Maxwell
08-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Guild Wars.

artimoff
08-16-2008, 07:17 AM
A third for Guild Wars.

No monthly fee, 3 of the 4 titles can be played by themselves, & If you can't find a group, you can allways join with NPC's

DanLTaylor
08-16-2008, 07:18 AM
E.V.E. Online? I've heard that one's pretty good.

I gave this a try for a couple of days. I had no idea what I was doing. Mind you, it was right when I was getting ready for comic-con. It was purty, though.

Jim.
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Why not World of Warcraft? It's the best one.

I will also give a shout out to Guild Wars though.

Derek
08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm personally waiting for the new ones from Cryptic being: Champions and Star Trek. At first I wanted WoW, Guildwars or Everquest, but eh... I'm kinda bored with that fantasy setting.

CougarTrace
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
A third for Guild Wars.

No monthly fee, 3 of the 4 titles can be played by themselves, & If you can't find a group, you can allways join with NPC's

this is the key point for Guild Wars.

Conan doesn't have enough players to find active groups.

I don't know about WOW.

DanLTaylor
08-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm personally waiting for the new ones from Cryptic being: Champions and Star Trek. At first I wanted WoW, Guildwars or Everquest, but eh... I'm kinda bored with that fantasy setting.

John Layman is one of the writers on Champions. Having played the original pen & paper rpg back in the day I too am looking forward to this.

And of course, Star Trek.

Derek
08-16-2008, 09:09 AM
John Layman is one of the writers on Champions. Having played the original pen & paper rpg back in the day I too am looking forward to this.

And of course, Star Trek.Ah, I didn't realize Layman was involved. Sweetness!

TheKraken
08-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Had you not said "besides Warcraft," I could invite you to come hang out with the board WoW guild and have some fun. But... you said "besides Warcraft." :)

NickT
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Depends what you want really. It's a lot harder to find one if fantasy stuff isn't up your alley, for example :)

Jason California
08-16-2008, 10:41 AM
The reason I said no War Craft is because it is a game that EVERYONE knows. I am not the biggest gamer, the only 360 game I have is Halo 3 for instance, but some of these things look pretty interesting to me and I want to get an idea of what is out there.

mike black
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
The reason I said no War Craft is because it is a game that EVERYONE knows. I am not the biggest gamer, the only 360 game I have is Halo 3 for instance, but some of these things look pretty interesting to me and I want to get an idea of what is out there.

There's more MMO's out there, Jason, than any of us can name.

If you want to get up to speed on the bigger ones, check out The MMO Report (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/tag/187/MMO_News.html). They hit up almost every MMO out there, no matter what the style is.

There's something for everyone out there. Hell, there's even WWII online - an MMOFPS.

artimoff
08-16-2008, 05:17 PM
There's more MMO's out there, Jason, than any of us can name.

If you want to get up to speed on the bigger ones, check out The MMO Report (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/tag/187/MMO_News.html). They hit up almost every MMO out there, no matter what the style is.

There's something for everyone out there. Hell, there's even WWII online - an MMOFPS.

I have 2 friends who play WWII online & love it.

mike black
08-16-2008, 06:26 PM
I have 2 friends who play WWII online & love it.

I never got into it because I heard the learning curve is substantial. But still, there's an mmo for every flavor.

TomBelandTSSTG
08-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I have taken over this thread. Tell simone, this is how you own the board. flee!! Warn the other threads of my arrival!!!