PDA

View Full Version : A new way that the SDCC can generate $$$

thefreakytiki
08-10-2008, 04:05 AM
http://news.filefront.com/blizzcon-2008-and-directtv-partner-up-to-broadcast-event-via-pay-per-view/

I'm not sure I would participate but it's an interesting venture. I believe the CCI people should monitor this closely.

the Tiki http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/tiki_torches.gif

Supreme Convoy
08-10-2008, 04:20 AM
But you don't get the convention smell! (Or just don't shower for a few days before watching)

Blandy vs Terrorism
08-10-2008, 05:00 AM
But you don't get the convention smell! (Or just don't shower for a few days before watching)

Actually, the smell at Chicago wasn't bad at all, since they actually used the air conditioning this year. I don't think it's the lack of showering so much as it is tons of people packed into a convention hall making it hot.

thefreakytiki
08-12-2008, 04:50 AM
The only reason I post this is because the CCI people are threatening to raise admission and table costs next year because there is no "physical way" for the con to grow at the current convention center. This closed circuit Virtual Con is an option they may not have thought of.

the Tiki http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/tiki_torches.gif

Bryan H
08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
This is a fantastic idea, but I don't think it would hinder the masses from attending. It seems more like something for people who weren't going to go anyways to get a chance to experience it in some small way. If I go to a con, I don't go just to see stuff, I go to meet people who's work I enjoy and pick up some items I'd have no way of getting otherwise. At best, I think it could cause some of the less comic-centric people from attending, as those things I described are not as much an attraction for them as they would be for us comic dorks.

TV Zombie
08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
I was going to say find a bigger venue ;-)

ERNIE_E
08-12-2008, 06:53 AM
They're making enough money, trust me. Their problem is keeping, or more San Diego's problem is keeping it in SD, vs. making the leap to Vegas. It's amazing that the convention has doubled in size over the recent years simply to accommodate SDCC, but they've maximized it and are overselling it, and not understanding what panels deserve the bigger space. I'd like them to cut back a bit, or hold some of the events outside on the Embarcadero and have some of those big panels outside, because it's 98% sunny out there. I mean CCI should use San Diego for it's value, the weather. The people from Hollywood would rather do a 2 hour drive than 6 hours. And fuck, I don't want to go to Vegas every year for CC.

SteveFlack
08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
They're making enough money, trust me. Their problem is keeping, or more San Diego's problem is keeping it in SD, vs. making the leap to Vegas. It's amazing that the convention has doubled in size over the recent years simply to accommodate SDCC, but they've maximized it and are overselling it, and not understanding what panels deserve the bigger space. I'd like them to cut back a bit, or hold some of the events outside on the Embarcadero and have some of those big panels outside, because it's 98% sunny out there. I mean CCI should use San Diego for it's value, the weather. The people from Hollywood would rather do a 2 hour drive than 6 hours. And fuck, I don't want to go to Vegas every year for CC.

From what I understand, part of the problems with the too-small rooms comes from Hollywood itself. They would rather have their programming in a packed smaller room, turning people away, rather than risk empty space, and make their product look less successful than it actually is.

-Steve!

ERNIE_E
08-12-2008, 07:08 AM
From what I understand, part of the problems with the too-small rooms comes from Hollywood itself. They would rather have their programming in a packed smaller room, turning people away, rather than risk empty space, and make their product look less successful than it actually is.

-Steve!

Yeah but to have Sarah Connor Chronicles and the Office in room 6AB when that can fit what, 1000 seats? when Chuck was going on at the same time in Ballroom 20. That didn't make sense, and pissed a lot of people off. That was just saturday, there were several other poor decisions in organizing that thing. Probably one of the worst in recent years.

TV Zombie
08-12-2008, 07:41 AM

How do you feel about the Anaheim Convention Center? A lot bigger the SD and even closer to Hollywood ;-)

My main problem with the size of the event is that the big companies are pushing out the small press guys. I was told there were over 300 people on the waiting list for Small Press tables... I know and appreciate what the SDCC has become and I love my movies and TV as much as the next guy but when you have 300+ small press creators trying to bring their vision to comics and can't get a table at the San Diego "COMIC CON" something isn't right.

ERNIE_E
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
How do you feel about the Anaheim Convention Center? A lot bigger the SD and even closer to Hollywood ;-)

My main problem with the size of the event is that the big companies are pushing out the small press guys. I was told there were over 300 people on the waiting list for Small Press tables... I know and appreciate what the SDCC has become and I love my movies and TV as much as the next guy but when you have 300+ small press creators trying to bring their vision to comics and can't get a table at the San Diego "COMIC CON" something isn't right.

Well I'd hope it'd stay in SD. I mean I do live here, so I have my motives. Hell I can save myself $1000 in hotel cost, and I'm the most popular of my friends come August.

I think the SDCC is a fantastic venue, really. The weather is always reliable, SD is not that congested of a town when you consider NY and Chicago or LA. The convention center is right on the bay so there's plenty to do around it if you want to take a break.

But if they are insistent on bringing TV and Hollywood, then they should just reserve the whole south half for that. That means all of the hollywood related panels and booths up to the halfway point. Then keep the other half comics and artist alley. All of the Comic-related panels be in rooms 1-6. The major comic publishers can be towards the middle. I think this would also help the traffic flow, because you have some people interested in just one side or the other. Anything else can spill to the back on the Embarcadero where the Symphony plays in the evenings. There are seats and a grandstand and is less than 5 minute walk from the convention center.

Wonder Con in SF run by the same people is good for people looking for just pure comics. If that's all you want. In fact I hear nothing but great things about Wondercon and may cover that next year. But I'm not the biggest fan of going up to Anaheim for distance, but I'd rather it go there than Las Vegas (although hotels are cheaper).