PDA

View Full Version : Y'know what I'd like to see in a video game?

DaveCummings
08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I was playing both Dead Rising (again) and GTA4 the past few days and I realized that I'd love to see a zombie survival horror type of game, but with the gameplay and scope of Grand Theft Auto.

I mean, think about it. Think of GTA4, but set at the beginning of a zombie outbreak, with the city in complete chaos and disarray. Doing missions for the few survivors in the city, trying to get as much ammo as possible. I think it'd be badass.

I dunno. Maybe it's me playing two different type of games and having a "you got peanut butter in my chocolate" type of moment.

ZombieSpeedball
08-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I think an Zombie Apocalypse MMO would be pretty sick. Every player is a surviving member of the human race, off to kill zombies. Level up, get new weapons, etc.

RebootedCorpse
08-08-2008, 06:24 PM
That's a great idea.

UltimateQuintessa
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't understand why there is more "sandbox" games period with the popularity of the GTA series.

I mean how many fucking fps games can the industry make?

DaveCummings
08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I think an Zombie Apocalypse MMO would be pretty sick. Every player is a surviving member of the human race, off to kill zombies. Level up, get new weapons, etc.

That would rock. I think the tone of it would be kinda like the beginning of the original Dawn of the Dead. With them trying to get out of Pittsburgh. Things are in disorder and lawlessness, but it hasn't gotten to not a living soul left....yet. But then you could have shit like the government trying to keep people in the city, to keep it from spreading.

The Hodag
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
But when will I get my sandbox Krull game?

It's like the industry just doesn't want my money.

Benel Germosen
08-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Sandbox Batman game.

Ashwin Pande
08-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Sandbox Batman game.

So... what, it'd always be night in Gotham?

The Hodag
08-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Gotham's got a thick haze.

Cactusakic
08-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I mean, think about it. Think of GTA4, but set at the beginning of a zombie outbreak, with the city in complete chaos and disarray. Doing missions for the few survivors in the city, trying to get as much ammo as possible. I think it'd be badass.

I'd buy that game.

Benel Germosen
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM

I guess.

The Hodag
08-09-2008, 12:43 AM
I guess.

You know, I was only half-kidding about the haze. If the city was modelled on a more stylized Gotham (ala Anton Furst's stuff in the '89 Batman) you could have some pretty gloomy stuff even by day with lots of deep shadows. Play up the foreboding weather - rain, fog, snow, etc. - and you could probably have Bats operating by day without it seeming too freaky.

Hmm, I could see this game having one of those "shadow-meters" to indicate how stealthed Batman is. That'd make days a bit tougher, but it'd be cool to sling around between pockets of shadows to tail bad guys and take cover. If you roll with the Burton-style Gotham (I guess Nolan did this a bit too) you could also have the lower levels of the city really gloomy, and only the upper tiers really catching the sunlight. That'd make it dangerous for Bats to go skulking around Ruport Thorne's penthouse by day, though maybe not for Robin...

Humphrey_Lee
08-09-2008, 01:17 AM
I don't understand why there is more "sandbox" games period with the popularity of the GTA series.

I mean how many fucking fps games can the industry make?

Yeah, but given how much time and manpower it has to take to develop a playground on that scale, they're not exactly something you can "pop out" like an FPS. But there's more coming in some ways. Prototype and InFamous will be out within the next year. "Superhero" sandbox games.

Brad N.
08-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I agree 100%. I liked the Dead rising demo (though not enough to buy the game), and I LOVE GTA. I think a game like you describe would be phenominal and I'd gladly fork over my $60 to play it. Shit, maybe Kirkman can put together a Walking Dead game?

Keith P.
08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
There is a NWN2 Online peristent world that is zombie apocalypse set in the Forgotten Realms called Necrosis.

Chris McCarver
08-09-2008, 08:18 AM
I guess.

Could do daytime bits as Bruce Wayne, collect intel under the guise being the self-absorbed billionaire boy's club wank from fellow socialites, Wayne Enterprises board members, and when you were done, you'd have a "Leave location for Wayne Manor and prepare for tonight? [OK] [Cancel]" button waiting.

adam_warlock_2099
08-09-2008, 09:29 AM
How about either, I'd take both . . . either a Marvel or DC based cosmic scoped game, ala COIE or Annihilation/Infinity Gauntlet. That could finally bring out some new characters that haven't appeared from comics in video games.

copypastepuke
08-09-2008, 09:40 AM
i want the controls to be more like cod4, against zombie hordes. like full on squads having to go up against HORDES

copypastepuke
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
marvel invaders game. ive been saying it for weeks now. namor human torch, cap, and bucky. individualized missions, different skill sets. giant actual ww2 battles. throw in super soldiers and make it like a fps but you are cap, shooting guns, throwing shields, boxing dudes out.

Bill!
08-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Isn't Left for Dead going to be sort of like that?