PDA

View Full Version : The Flash [spoilers?]

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm a couple of weeks behind on comics, but wow! Every month, I'm blown away by this title. I mean the villains are so colorful, yet so believable and more complex than meets the eye.

Who wants to show some love for The Flash????

Rick_O
06-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Johns has written the shit out of this guy.

Evan Wiener
06-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Haven't read it in months. What's been happening?

PeterSparker
06-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I gots much love for the Flash!

(its just that I started buying Johns' run in trades, so I haven't got to the stuff you're reading yet :( , but I can't wait till I finally do! He made me a fan of a book I thought I'd have no interest in.)

Rick_O
06-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Haven't read it in months. What's been happening?

The rogus have united against Flash in a storyline named Rogue war

and the Top came back for revenge. You know the guy the JLA mindfucked.

artimoff
06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
The top died a long time ago, I thought. I remember Golden Glider wanting revenge on Barry for it. How is it that he's back?

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 07:33 AM
I don't know how to do the 'click to reveal' or the black box for spoilers, otherwise, i'd tell you what's been happening.

ds9
06-09-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm a couple of weeks behind on comics, but wow! Every month, I'm blown away by this title. I mean the villains are so colorful, yet so believable and more complex than meets the eye.

Who wants to show some love for The Flash????This book is good stuff with just as much introspection as other titles but without the arcs seeming like filler issues to stretch a story. The next writer taking over for Johns will have big shoes to filled.

Jew Mafia
06-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Johns has written the shit out of this guy.

Thats just disgusting.

Blake Sims
06-09-2005, 07:54 AM
This book is good stuff with just as much introspection as other titles but without the arcs seeming like filler issues to stretch a story. The next writer taking over for Johns will have big shoes to filled.
Arent you a ray of sunsh---oh wait that was a positive post...well um carry on then

Boris the Blade
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
I love it. So much. Rogue War's a great way to end it for Johns. I'm gonna miss him on this. Darwyn Cooke's arc should be a nice follow up.

ds9
06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Arent you a ray of sunsh---oh wait that was a positive post...well um carry on thenI write those too dang. ;) But boy did New warriors suck.

TIP
06-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Been loving since since I jumped onboard around the early 180s (if I recall properly). Helluva run Johns has had (he's been on the title since 164) and his last will be 225.

T

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 08:15 AM
This book is good stuff with just as much introspection as other titles but without the arcs seeming like filler issues to stretch a story. The next writer taking over for Johns will have big shoes to filled.
and you know what they say about a man whose shoes are big...

I personally don't know, but if you can tell me, cool :cool:

Dreg
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Wally West is king S*** of F*** mountain. That should be his moniker, you know, like Spiderman has "Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman?" Because you know it would really spruce up the standard opening monologue. "My name is Wally West, and I'm King S*** of F*** Mountain!"

Seriously, though, Flash is the first superhero comic I started buying regularly again since I was a kid. Johns has done great things with the title, and I have full faith that Cooke will keep the momentum going. So many great things have been done to distinguish the title and the character from every other superhero out there. Wally doesn't fight megalomanical geniuses or psycho killers, he fights an organized mafia of supercriminals with no greater ambition than to get rich. He doesn't fight crime in a big, towering city, he fights crime in a union town in the heart of Kansas. The best was the scene where he reflects on the fact that he doesn't soar above the people like Superman or hide from them like Batman or preach to them like Wonder Woman, he runs right alongside them.

thecheat1
06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
The Flash rules. Johns turned him into one of my favorite heroes in the DCU. He's in the DCU what Spider-Man is to the Marvel Universe. He's seems like the average guy touchstone that anyone can relate to.

Viva Flash!

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm totally loving the fact that there's a lot of love for the flash. none of my friends read this title, they think it's cheesy. they don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Evan Wiener
06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Last story I read was the return of the Top, which was ok. I'm still not crazy about this JLA mindwipe theme to a lot of DC books.

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Last story I read was the return of the Top, which was ok. I'm still not crazy about this JLA mindwipe theme to a lot of DC books.
I see your point, but I'll raise it with 'did you read the latest flash?'

ds9
06-09-2005, 08:54 AM

I personally don't know, but if you can tell me, cool :cool:Size 12 baby

sonnylarue
06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
I really though Waid had defined the modern Flash...

but Johns has added new dimensions to the book , by reaching back to the Cary Bates, and before eras, and given new spins to many of these silver & bronze age villians.

He's made reading Flash fun again.

PeterSparker
06-09-2005, 09:33 AM

I personally don't know, but if you can tell me, cool :cool:

They say he needs longer shoelaces? (thats what you meant right? :? )

I didn't realize Darwyn Cooke is doing the initial follow up after Johns leaves, thats great to know!

And I hear what you're saying Taki. I don't know how many good things I saw posted on this board about the Flash a few years ago, but no matter what I read, just figured it would be some corny stuff I'd have no interest in. I finally broke down about a year ago and bought his first trade though, and couldn't believe how much I liked it. Theres 5 trades of his run so far, and I've loved 'em all, I can't wait to finally catch up to whats going on now! (I'm sad to hear GJ is leaving, but I'm glad I'm gonna have his whole run collected, its such great reading, and its what opened up my eyes to what a quality writer he really is)

Taki Soma
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
They say he needs longer shoelaces? (thats what you meant right? :? )

I didn't realize Darwyn Cooke is doing the initial follow up after Johns leaves, thats great to know!

And I hear what you're saying Taki. I don't know how many good things I saw posted on this board about the Flash a few years ago, but no matter what I read, just figured it would be some corny stuff I'd have no interest in. I finally broke down about a year ago and bought his first trade though, and couldn't believe how much I liked it. Theres 5 trades of his run so far, and I've loved 'em all, I can't wait to finally catch up to whats going on now! (I'm sad to hear GJ is leaving, but I'm glad I'm gonna have his whole run collected, its such great reading, and its what opened up my eyes to what a quality writer he really is)this title has many me shed a tear or two.

it's awesome.

Wagon
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I see your point, but I'll raise it with 'did you read the latest flash?'

yeah, that was crazy. I love what Johns did with the Flash... it's really amazing how much bad crap can happen to Wally, though... I thought Blitz was bad, and it was, but man, it just keeps piling on him...

and this new Zoom is super f'n creepy... he's completely insane!

Brandon191
06-09-2005, 10:14 AM
It's one of my favourite books of all time. Johns has created so many interesting characters and has added a lot of depth to The Flash's rogue gallery.

The Human Target
06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I actually think its cheesy. But I liked the issue about Heat Wave, even with cheese.

CapnChaos
06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
My favorite comic right now. The art has been great for Rogue's War and Johns run deserves to be placed among the best on any DC title. The way he's taken cheesy-ass villains and made them not only interesting but actually dangerous and scary... Who would have said that about Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold or The Turtle before? Plus, I absolutely love the way he's brought back classic characters going back to Golden Age in all his titles and not only made them relevent but respected their histories and continuity.

Oh and Size 13 for the record.