PDA

View Full Version : Bennigan's, Steak & Ale file bankruptcy

Foolish Mortal
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/07/28/daily17.html

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 4:45 PM CDT

Benniganís, Steak & Ale file bankruptcy; company stores to close

Restaurant chains Benniganís Grill & Tavern and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will close all their company owned locations, a spokeswoman has confirmed.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company owns and operates more than 300 locations, potentially putting thousands of people out of work. But a spokeswoman for Plano, Texas-based Metromedia Restaurant Group, which operates the restaurants, did not have specific numbers.

The spokeswoman said the bankruptcy filing relates specifically to its subsidiary S&A Restaurant Corp., the parent company of Steak & Ale and Benniganís Grill & Tavern restaurants. The franchise-owned stores operating as a Steak & Ale or Bennigans will not be affected by the bankruptcy.

There are four Benniganís restaurants in San Antonio. It was not immediately certain which stores were franchise- or company-owned. Steak & Ale does not currently operate any locations in San Antonio.

Ponderosa and Bonanza, which operate under the company's MetroMedia Steakhouses Co. subsidiary, are also excluded from the bankruptcy filing, according to the company spokeswoman.

I have a friend who was a manager at a Steak and Ale and he told me a few weeks ago that some kind of bad shit was happening and he had already had starting looking for a new job. Although he never thought they'd close all the locations in one fell swoop like they did today.

Never cared for Bennigan's shitty food, but Steak and Ale was kind of a staple for my family growing up. We used to get from there every weekend for at least 9 or 10 years straight.

It looks like only the company owned locations are being shut down. The few franchise locations will remain open, so there will be at least a few left.

Kingsumo
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow. That is kind of shitty for all the people employed there

Adam Beranek
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Guess I gotta start making my own Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Magnum V.I.
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow. That is kind of shitty for all the people employed there

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Ray G.
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow. These places were institutions around here.

Marc Lombardi
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I was actually going to go to Bennigans over the weekend. Kinda sad...I feel for all of these people who lost their jobs so suddenly, particularly with the economy being so lousy.

I AM GROOT!
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Haven't eaten at Bennigan's for awhile, but it's still a shame for all of those people losing their jobs.

sonnylarue
07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
it was all over the chgo news this morning.

Akira
07-29-2008, 05:00 PM
That's terrible for everyone who lost their jobs, but where will Butters go for his parents' anniversary now?!?!

greg donovan
07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
one of the two benigan's in our area shut down unexpectedly about 2-3 weeks ago. guess i know why now. had a friend that worked there in management, havent talked to her in a while though.

db8coach
07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
how many Steak and Ales are still around serriously? And Most of the Benigans have already been shut down. This isn't much of a surprise.

Drkemerld73
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
All of the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale's down here went out of business a few months ago now. I guess it was a sign of things to come.

sonnylarue
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
how many Steak and Ales are still around serriously? And Most of the Benigans have already been shut down. This isn't much of a surprise.

there were 25 bennigans in the chicago area still running till today

Foolish Mortal
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
There were 10 Steak and Ale's here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. All but one is closing. That's the independently owned one. I don't know how many Bennigans were here.

CougarTrace
07-30-2008, 04:45 AM
We still have a few Steak and Ale's and bunch of Bennigans in Houston.

When I'm not fond of the food at Bennigans, I have fond memories of being a teenager and eating with friends at that place. It seemed to be one of the places that didn't mind loudness and a little fun.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Why Lord didn't you take Chilis? I fucking hate that place. I think we need to purge a few more shitty chain restaurants before this is all said and down. I'm also looking at you Applebees!

Evan the Shaggy
07-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Maybe this wouldn't have happened if they had put more goofy shit on their walls.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Maybe this wouldn't have happened if they had put more goofy shit on their walls.

Applebees I am looking at you...

greg donovan
07-30-2008, 05:02 AM

there was a booth in the one in fargo that had a giant orange neon sign IN the booth. it was the most obnoxious thing ever and the only time i have ever asked to have a different table after being seated.

i was always dissapointed that bennigans didnt embrace the irish pub atmosphere even a little beyond the "clever" names of things on the menu. maybe some irish music?

schizorabbit
07-30-2008, 05:12 AM

Or if the waiters, waitresses, and hosts had more flair on their vests a la Office Space.

Beazly
07-30-2008, 05:16 AM
... where will Butters go for his parents' anniversary now?!?!
I was just thinking that too!

Why Lord didn't you take Chilis? I fucking hate that place. I think we need to purge a few more shitty chain restaurants before this is all said and down. I'm also looking at you Applebees!

I will agree with you on Applebees, I could serve the exact same meal with day old food and a microwave at home for a fraction of the price. Sadly, it's really the only restaurant in our area, so we're kinda stuck when we want to go out to dinner without driving for a half an hour. But Chilis? Have you had that burger with the thick cut bacon? :drool: MMmmm.. bacon.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 05:28 AM
I was just thinking that too!

I will agree with you on Applebees, I could serve the exact same meal with day old food and a microwave at home for a fraction of the price. Sadly, it's really the only restaurant in our area, so we're kinda stuck when we want to go out to dinner without driving for a half an hour. But Chilis? Have you had that burger with the thick cut bacon? :drool: MMmmm.. bacon.
I can get bacon and put it on my home made burger or a store prepared one and it would be better. :)

baldonetoo
07-30-2008, 05:42 AM
I went to Bennigan's for the first time in years like a week ago. I had the Monte Cristo.

Now I'm glad I got to have that horribly awesome sandwich for one last time.

Beta_Ray_Bryan
07-30-2008, 05:56 AM
The Benningan's here in town was actually really good. And they put on a huge St. Patrick's Day Blarney Blast that lasted all day. Our band got to play there a couple of times. Really a shame to see it go.

I agree that Applebee's and Chili's do absolutely nothing for me. They're not bad, just not good enough to spend money on.

Criden
07-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Applebee's is way worse than Chili's. They recently pared down their menu and made it super boring. I don't eat at those places a lot, but Chili's at least has my respect by having some more interesting stuff. Friday's, too.

Criden
07-30-2008, 05:59 AM
I can get bacon and put it on my home made burger or a store prepared one and it would be better. :)

Honestly, dude, bacon like that isn't available in supermarkets, not to that quality or cut. Unfortunately. It's pretty impressive.

Drkemerld73
07-30-2008, 06:02 AM

Whoa there, dude.

I really love Chilis boneless buffalo wings and brocolli and cheese soup (The best I have ever enjoyed so far).

If you want it gone, you'll have to go through me first.

*Unsheaths sword*

SidekicksRevenge
07-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Jeez, how could a concept like Steak & Ale possibly lose money? Seems simple enough. Red meat. Booze. The name says it all.

This happened to the Darryl's franchises a when I was a superstar waiter. It forced me to realize that at age 24 I maybe needed to pursue a job that required the 4 1/2 years of college I was lucky enough to have before I was too old to pull off waking up every Wednesday at noon all hungover and next to whoever the cute new waitress was.

Supajoe
07-30-2008, 06:08 AM

:rofl: i concur! burn, chili's burn!!

;-)

ClintP
07-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Whoa there, dude.

I really love Chilis boneless buffalo wings and brocolli and cheese soup (The best I have ever enjoyed so far).

If you want it gone, you'll have to go through me first.

*Unsheaths sword*
Oh yeah, I brought my posse!

:rofl: i concur! burn, chili's burn!!

;-)

GET HIM JOE!

Drkemerld73
07-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Oh yeah, I brought my posse!

Yeah, well... we all know how it worked out for you at the Alamo there Clint!

I'm not too bothered.

Yeah I went there! :lol:

Generic Poster
07-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Honestly, dude, bacon like that isn't available in supermarkets, not to that quality or cut. Unfortunately. It's pretty impressive.

Sure it is. You just have to buy it at the butcher's counter, not the pre-packaged stuff.

Criden
07-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Sure it is. You just have to buy it at the butcher's counter, not the pre-packaged stuff.

I've tried to get that, and pork belly. No supermarkets around here offer either. Send me some, dude!

Generic Poster
07-30-2008, 06:15 AM
I've tried to get that, and pork belly. No supermarkets around here offer either. Send me some, dude!

First, throw me the idol!

Criden
07-30-2008, 06:16 AM
First, throw me the idol!

K! You throw me the bacon!

Generic Poster
07-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Ha ha ha! Goodbye, Criden! *drops bacon, runs off with the idol*

Drkemerld73
07-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Ha ha ha! Goodbye, Criden! *drops bacon, runs off with the idol*

*Snickers at what's waiting for you when you run carelessly through the beam of light that was previously demonstrated as a death trap mere moments ago*

:lol:

Criden
07-30-2008, 06:21 AM
*chomps on bacon, tilts fedora*

Generic Poster
07-30-2008, 06:22 AM
*Snickers at what's waiting for you when you run carelessly through the beam of light that was previously demonstrated as a death trap mere moments ago*

:lol:

Those Aztecs and their photo-sensor technology!

Drkemerld73
07-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Those Aztecs and their photo-sensor technology!

The finest in both home and secret temple security systems.

"If the arrows don't get you. The giant ball will!"

:thumb:

bartleby
07-30-2008, 06:38 AM
This happened to the Darryl's franchises a when I was a superstar waiter. It forced me to realize that at age 24 I maybe needed to pursue a job that required the 4 1/2 years of college I was lucky enough to have before I was too old to pull off waking up every Wednesday at noon all hungover and next to whoever the cute new waitress was.

True story. This guy was once waited on my table at Darryl's.

Foolish Mortal
07-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Jeez, how could a concept like Steak & Ale possibly lose money? Seems simple enough. Red meat. Booze. The name says it all.
It's seen as a "baby boomers" place. You don't really see a lot of people under 40 go into a Steak and Ale. I think the chain just reached a point where it was dominated by "younger, hipper" places to eat.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
It's seen as a "baby boomers" place. You don't really see a lot of people under 40 go into a Steak and Ale. I think the chain just reached a point where it was dominated by "younger, hipper" places to eat.

I'll miss the Kensington steak. Rest in peace... :(

SidekicksRevenge
07-30-2008, 07:04 AM

You may be onto something. I mean, even knowing the concept was can't-miss, I never went there. I did always mean to give it a shot though...

Ray G.
07-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Plus, I think Charlie Brown's won the Steakhouse wars a while back.

Foolish Mortal
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Depends on the area where you live. There are no Charlie Brown's here. There are a bunch of Outback steakhouses here though.

Ray G.
07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Depends on the area where you live. There are no Charlie Brown's here. There are a bunch of Outback steakhouses here though.

:sick:

I hate Outback. We have both, though. Charlie Browns is a little less expensive than Steak and Ale, and their quality is very good. I always enjoy their sirloin.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Never heard of it. Outback is the biggest chain place around here. Other large steak places are Saltgrass (http://www.saltgrass.com/)and Texas Land and Cattle (http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/files/home.aspx). Outback is ok, but I prefer to get a fillet migon from Edes (http://www.edesmeats.com/) here in Amarillo and get my father in law to grill it (he is a fucking amazing steak cooker.) The fillets there are fucking huge unlike the ones you get from the stores. I am talking 12 ounces and shit.

When I go to Dallas, I like to hit up a Brazilian steak out called Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/). They kick all kinds of asses. They are kind of pricey ($50/person), but they have a lunch special that is half the price of dinner. They are so totally worth it!

SteveZegers
07-30-2008, 09:19 AM
I used to really like Bennigans. You could get a turkey sandwich served on a soft pretzel!

Ray G.
07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Never heard of it. Outback is the biggest chain place around here. Other large steak places are Saltgrass (http://www.saltgrass.com/)and Texas Land and Cattle (http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/files/home.aspx). Outback is ok, but I prefer to get a fillet migon from Edes (http://www.edesmeats.com/) here in Amarillo and get my father in law to grill it (he is a fucking amazing steak cooker.) The fillets there are fucking huge unlike the ones you get from the stores. I am talking 12 ounces and shit.

When I go to Dallas, I like to hit up a Brazilian steak out called Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/). They kick all kinds of asses. They are kind of pricey ($50/person), but they have a lunch special that is half the price of dinner. They are so totally worth it!

I guess it's a northern chain.

Rodizio....:drool:

Rosemary's Baby
07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Eh, I'm fine with this. Obviously, it's unfortunate that people will be losing their jobs, but I've never liked restaurants like these. Not really for the food, which is average, but for the atmosphere. You've still got Fridays, Applebees, Billy McHales (or is that a Pac NW thing), and other such chains.

Supajoe
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM

fogo freakin' rules. you have to fast the whole day though to really be able to enjoy eating all the food there.

ClintP
07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
fogo freakin' rules. you have to fast the whole day though to really be able to enjoy eating all the food there.

Fogo does in fact rule. We need to go there when I come to Dallas some time. Possibly for the lunch special. One meal that day will be all I need!

Supajoe
07-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Fogo does in fact rule. We need to go there when I come to Dallas some time. Possibly for the lunch special. One meal that day will be all I need!

deal!

CougarTrace
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
The Fogo in Houston is excellent too!

Keith P.
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I've only been to Steak and Ale once, we wound up getting up and leaving as we were seated for 30 minutes and no one even brought us water.

We went their because it's dark, and I was with a friend who had just gotten out of the hospital because he had gotten his arm caught in a sander at his work, and was in a sling and all bandaged up, which the stress of his accident had triggered a psoriasis attack so he looked like some kind of scaly injured lizard.

So we went to the Japanese steakhouse next door, which was brightly lit and they sat us at a table full of complete strangers.

He was not happy with me.

Marc Lombardi
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
:sick:

I hate Outback. We have both, though. Charlie Browns is a little less expensive than Steak and Ale, and their quality is very good. I always enjoy their sirloin.
Flonk wept. And then spit on your food.

Marc Lombardi
07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Anyone know if the Ground Round is still around anywhere?

bartleby
07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Anyone know if the Ground Round is still around anywhere?

http://www.groundround.com/home/locate/locationlist.asp

Generic Poster
07-30-2008, 10:04 AM

That's the joint where they keep bringing you skewered meat until you flip up the little red sign, right?

Flonk
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I think we need to purge a few more shitty chain restaurants before this is all said and down. I'm also looking at you Applebees!

Your mouth to God's ears.

Flonk
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM

The reason you probaly prefer it is because Outback doesn't have a filet migon. It's hard to like something that doesn't exist.

Fourthman
08-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Bennigan's, begin again.