PDA

View Full Version : Grant Morrison

Kefky
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
“You gotta remember in the entire history of the universe ... you’re the only ‘you’ that has ever existed and ever will exist,” Morrison said. “... there’s nobody in existence who is you, and no one can ever see the world the way you see it and can tell the rest of us how it looks. And it might be so different and so beautiful that it changes everything.”

:heart:

Slewo.O
07-28-2008, 10:17 AM
That ladies and gentlemen is Grant Morrison. :heart:

I think I'm in love with that scot again. :(

Bryan H
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
After that he executed three shaman ninjas sent to assassinate him for defiling the daughter of the Blood God, Azu'tok.

Supreme Convoy
I was about to set my car on fire and drive off a cliff. But then I read this.

Grant Morrison saved my life.

jason hissong
Brilliant. I love him so much.

Criden
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
if you liked that, you'll love this - http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Yourself-as-a-Young-Teen

allanpat
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I was partial to this quote

Morrison added that many comics nowadays were “cheesy pitch documents for movies that were never going to get made. We really want comics to be comics.”

All i could think of was Mark Millar, even though he did just have a successful movie made, that's what all of his books read like...

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM

All i could think of was Mark Millar, even though he did just have a successful movie made, that's what all of his books read like...
i dont know how fair that is. i mean, morrison's had as many comics optioned for movies as millar has.

Kefky
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
if you liked that, you'll love this - http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Yourself-as-a-Young-Teen

http://www.newporkcity.net/npcforum/images/smilies/kermitdq9.gif

Girlfriend In A Coma
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I was about to go out beat up Grant Morrison...I still might. Heh.

Sorry, I just read the new Batman.

Ashwin Pande
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
That's... obvious.

Who else will you be? Him?

MAK15
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
That's... obvious.

does that quote apply to clones?

Howlett
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
That's... obvious.

Christ I hope not! I like having hair!

allanpat
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
i dont know how fair that is. i mean, morrison's had as many comics optioned for movies as millar has.

Yeah, but Morrison writes for comics. Millar, on the other hand, has such a hollywood hard-on that half of his characters are designed after movie stars in an attempt to sell it to a movie studio. Eminem/Halle Berry in Wanted, Sam Jackson in Ultimates, etc...

Criden
07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, but Morrison writes for comics. Millar, on the other hand, has such a hollywood hard-on that half of his characters are designed after movie stars in an attempt to sell it to a movie studio. Eminem/Halle Berry in Wanted, Sam Jackson in Ultimates, etc...

Well said.

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
yeah, but there are dozens and dozens of examples of that with other creators.

and sam jackson was hitch's idea.

NickT
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Lot of assumptions in your post there. Who says HE designs them on movie stars, who says it is to sell it to studios, who says other people don't do the same thing and still "write for comics". You've really given nothing to indicate that Millar doesn't write for comics.

Oh, and Millar's first Fury comic? Ultimate X-Men, didn't look like Jackson.

Twelvecents
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
That's... obvious.

And I liked it better when Dr. Manhattan said it first in Watchmen. :)

The Hodag
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
And I liked it better when Dr. Manhattan said it first in Watchmen. :)

:thumb:

That Doc Manhatten could make a real killing on the motivational speaker circuit, couldn't he?

allanpat
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
You've really given nothing to indicate that Millar doesn't write for comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17457

Millar on his new Ultimate book

I think 'Ultimatum' is going to be big, and I think this new book is going to be the biggest of the lot. "This book is what I did instead of going off and completely whoring myself to Hollywood [Laughs]," Millar continued.

He's never really been shy of admitting it - i think he always writes with Hollywood on his mind.

Also, lets not forget the fake Eminem hype that helped get his Wanted movie made.. I don't think there's any question that Wanted was written with the intention of getting a movie made.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/510/510828p1.html

I'm not really bashing Millar - i like most of his books, but he's definitely a writer who 'writes for Hollywood' instead of 'writing for comics'

LittleBastard
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
What trite crap. As usual.

Fake Pat
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
What trite crap. As usual.

:blah:

Matt O'Keefe
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM

I think you missed his point. He's claiming that Millar purposefully makes comics that can be easily translated into movies. Morrison doesn't have any thought in his head but writing a good comic.

(Which I agree with)

Big Poot!
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
The Muse song "Invincible" says the exact same thing. He probably had it stuck in his head and was repeating the chorus.

I've not yet read one good Morrison comic, and have not read one Millar comic that wasn't great.

Fake Pat
07-28-2008, 03:44 PM
The Muse song "Invincible" says the exact same thing. He probably had it stuck in his head and was repeating the chorus.

I've not yet read one good Morrison comic, and have not read one Millar comic that wasn't great.

WOW.

NickT
I think you missed his point. He's claiming that Millar purposefully makes comics that can be easily translated into movies. Morrison doesn't have any thought in his head but writing a good comic.

(Which I agree with)
But in that case, why are 60% of Millar's current titles things that wont ever turn into movies?

Matt O'Keefe

:blah:

I've never read a positive post by you.

LittleBastard
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Almost an Amen brother!

The first 15 or so issues of Animal Man were great, before he went on a drug binge and destroyed the comic in his last few issues. Horrible stuff.
I've not read a lot of Millar, but have yet to find anything I didn't like. Wanted was brilliant. I could never use that word to describe anything Morrison has done.

Matt O'Keefe
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
But in that case, why are 60% of Millar's current titles things that wont ever turn into movies?

I think that, even when he doesn't have Hollywood in mind, he prefers standard movie formula. I just reread the first UXM arc (which I loved) and it really feels like a big budget movie in a comic.

Besides, mainstream comics are a nice way to keep attention on him, and it's obvious that he has a role in story for big Marvel movies.

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17457

Millar on his new Ultimate book

He's never really been shy of admitting it - i think he always writes with Hollywood on his mind.

Also, lets not forget the fake Eminem hype that helped get his Wanted movie made.. I don't think there's any question that Wanted was written with the intention of getting a movie made.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/510/510828p1.html

I'm not really bashing Millar - i like most of his books, but he's definitely a writer who 'writes for Hollywood' instead of 'writing for comics'
if he "always" wrote with hollywood on his mind, he wouldn't be working for marvel!

the thing i dont understand is, millar isn't notable for hollywood stuff. i mean, every single one of his peers have just as much (or way way more) hollywood stuff going on. brian k vaughan has all but left comics completely. bendis is writing tv shows and movies. grant morrison has his creator owned books all optioned and is writing We3.

why is millar worse? bendis wrote a whole book all about trying to get his books made into movies, but he doesn't get any grief?

Matt O'Keefe
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
if he "always" wrote with hollywood on his mind, he wouldn't be working for marvel!

the thing i dont understand is, millar isn't notable for hollywood stuff. i mean, every single one of his peers have just as much (or way way more) hollywood stuff going on. brian k vaughan has all but left comics completely. bendis is writing tv shows and movies. grant morrison has his creator owned books all optioned and is writing We3.

why is millar worse? bendis wrote a whole book all about trying to get his books made into movies, but he doesn't get any grief?

You can see a preference for movies in story structure. And Millar's attitude and statements don't help either.

NickT
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I think that, even when he doesn't have Hollywood in mind, he prefers standard movie formula. I just reread the first UXM arc (which I loved) and it really feels like a big budget movie in a comic.
It's not like you have to be writing for Hollywood to do that though.

Besides, mainstream comics are a nice way to keep attention on him, and it's obvious that he has a role in story for big Marvel movies.
His Indie books sell so big I don't think he needs Marvel any more. People like Kirkman or BKV don't need Marvel, and he can outsell both by some margin on the sales estimates.

There is a difference between writing for Hollywood and offering your ideas up. One of them is just smart business sense.

And also, talks about their TV and movie stuff, has had real people appear in their comics, their work would suit a TV or movie arena......All those could be said to apply to Bendis, but nobody here would argue that he does. What's the difference?

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
You can see a preference for movies in story structure.
i don't know what this means. not trying to be a difficult jerk or anything.

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
It's not like you have to be writing for Hollywood to do that though.

His Indie books sell so big I don't think he needs Marvel any more. People like Kirkman or BKV don't need Marvel, and he can outsell both by some margin on the sales estimates.

There is a difference between writing for Hollywood and offering your ideas up. One of them is just smart business sense.

And also, talks about their TV and movie stuff, has had real people appear in their comics, their work would suit a TV or movie arena......All those could be said to apply to Bendis, but nobody here would argue that he does. What's the difference?
we are very much on the same page.

millar said recently that he's made more money off of six issues of wanted than he made off of ultimates 1 and 2 put together. if the guy was interested in money and movies, he would leave marvel, because he'd make more money and make more movies.

but instead he writes stories about wolverine and a blind hawkeye in the future fighting the hulk's redneck children. yeah, he's REALLY writing with hollywood on his mind.

Derek
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I understand that you all want him to be purely faithful to comics. But to say he shouldn't think of hollywood is to cut off his influences. I think what makes Millar great is his high budget high action high concept hollywood style. Its what makes his comics unique from everyone else. Great stories are great stories regardless of whether he has hollywood or comics in mind.

Matt O'Keefe
07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
i don't know what this means. not trying to be a difficult jerk or anything.

Almost everything he does seems like something that could be very easily translated into a movie. Moreso than most writers.

Again, just my opinion.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:09 PM

That's funny. I was listening to a "lecture" he gave back at DisInfo Con 2000 (after Invisibles finished) and he talked about his "alien abduction" in Katmandu and talked about how the idea of the individual is bullshit and we need to see each other as one entity and that we are all apart of one another.

Then agian, he's retracted the alien abduction stuff, and he was pretty drunk at DisInfo Con. People can change, and I'm really glad he has. He used to be waaay more fucked up than he is now.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM

So in other words you love mediocre crap, which I've said to you before, and it still holds to be true.

juampi
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I like them both for different reasons

NickT
07-28-2008, 04:12 PM
we are very much on the same page.

millar said recently that he's made more money off of six issues of wanted than he made off of ultimates 1 and 2 put together. if the guy was interested in money and movies, he would leave marvel, because he'd make more money and make more movies.

but instead he writes stories about wolverine and a blind hawkeye in the future fighting the hulk's redneck children. yeah, he's REALLY writing with hollywood on his mind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/ReaperFett/Random/topgun.gif

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
And again, as I've said before:

Millar's best ideas were probably pulled out of Grant Morrison's waste bin 10 years ago.

NickT
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
That's funny. I was listening to a "lecture" he gave back at DisInfo Con 2000 (after Invisibles finished) and he talked about his "alien abduction" in Katmandu and talked about how the idea of the individual is bullshit and we need to see each other as one entity and that we are all apart of one another.

Then agian, he's retracted the alien abduction stuff, and he was pretty drunk at DisInfo Con. People can change, and I'm really glad he has. He used to be waaay more fucked up than he is now.
What changed his opinions between 2000 and now could make a GREAT movie! ;)

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
What changed his opinions between 2000 and now could make a GREAT movie! ;)

I lied, it was from 1999:

At DisinfoCon in 1999, Morrison said that much of the content in The Invisibles was information given to him by aliens that abducted him in Kathmandu, who told him to spread this information to the world via a comic book. He later clarified that the experience he labeled as the "Alien Abduction Experience in Kathmandu" had nothing to do with aliens or abduction, but that there was an experience that he had in Kathmandu that The Invisibles is an attempt to explain.

Joe Kalicki
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
WOW.

Consider the source.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I like them both for different reasons

Yeah, why this needed to turn into a Morrison vs. Millar debate is beyond me.

07-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Millar's best ideas were probably pulled out of Grant Morrison's waste bin 10 years ago.

Not to add to the this guy vs that guy theme we've got going here-- BUT- replace "Millar's best ideas" with "Morrison's best ideas", and replace "Grant Morrison's waste bin" with "Alan Moore's waste bin" and I've heard the same thing by many people many times. Not saying I agree with it, just pointing out that what you point out about Millar I've seen pointed out about Morrison.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM

They were writing buddies for years until they had a falling out and their styles have become vastly different.

Millar aimes for a more "shock" comic with action and the emotion fueled by fighting and how risque he can make things. See his run on The Authority, Wanted, the ending of Chosen and The *ugh* Unfunnies for evidence of this.

Morrison is always thinking big picture over a long period of time. Seven Soldiers, New X-Men and his current run on Batman are all evidence of this. He's more concerned with superheroes on a deeper emotional and philosophical level, in my opinion. He's also waaaay more fucked up than Millar is (see The Filth for more of this).

It really isn't fair to compare the two, because honestly, it's like comparing Michael Bay to Polanski. They're trying to accomplish two totally different things. And frankly, Millar's bubblegum comics get old to me after a while, and I find so much more depth in a Morrison comic. Millar writes "fun" stuff, sure, but rarely does it reach the quality of most of Morrison's stuff.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Not to add to the this guy vs that guy theme we've got going here-- BUT- replace "Millar's best ideas" with "Morrison's best ideas", and replace "Grant Morrison's waste bin" with "Alan Moore's waste bin" and I've heard the same thing by many people many times. Not saying I agree with it, just pointing out that what you point out about Millar I've seen pointed out about Morrison.

Again, I think they're out to do different things as well.

Alan Moore did some things first (From Hell, V, Watchmen, Swamp Thing) while Grant did other things (Animal Man, Arkham, Doom Patrol) but I can understand the comparison. As well, even if Moore placed the idea, Morrison built off of it. Moore does "Whatever Happened", Morrison does "All-Star." But that's the point: writers who are similar build off of each other.

I blame all the magicks.

Artie Pink
07-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Agreed. Yeesh.

If you don't read either's quotes, and just read the comics - man, there's some pretty good readin'.

I like Stan Lee comics and I like Alan Moore comics. The two don't need to be compared.

NickT
07-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I blame all the magicks.
Is boogie part of the magicks? I prefer to blame that.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Yeesh.

If you don't read either's quotes, and just read the comics - man, there's some pretty good readin'.

I like Stan Lee comics and I like Alan Moore comics. The two don't need to be compared.

WRONG. ONE OR THE OTHER.

CHOOSE AND PERISH.

07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
They were writing buddies for years until they had a falling out and their styles have become vastly different.

Millar aimes for a more "shock" comic with action and the emotion fueled by fighting and how risque he can make things. See his run on The Authority, Wanted, the ending of Chosen and The *ugh* Unfunnies for evidence of this.

Morrison is always thinking big picture over a long period of time. Seven Soldiers, New X-Men and his current run on Batman are all evidence of this. He's more concerned with superheroes on a deeper emotional and philosophical level, in my opinion. He's also waaaay more fucked up than Millar is (see The Filth for more of this).

It really isn't fair to compare the two, because honestly, it's like comparing Michael Bay to Polanski. They're trying to accomplish two totally different things. And frankly, Millar's bubblegum comics get old to me after a while, and I find so much more depth in a Morrison comic. Millar writes "fun" stuff, sure, but rarely does it reach the quality of most of Morrison's stuff.

Oh I understand all f that, and I see and get all the comparisons. I'm just pointing out that I find it a bit silly that this particular thread had to be derailed into "this guy is better than that guy"

Joe Kalicki
07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh I understand all f that, and I see and get all the comparisons. I'm just pointing out that I find it a bit silly that this particular thread had to be derailed into "this guy is better than that guy"

I blame Billy Parker.

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM

i see his ideas as being much more in the same vein as warren ellis' not grant.

Artie Pink
Now, if we wanna compare self-promotion - Morrison is a lot more creative than Millar. I'd rather hear goofy hippie speak than "I'm so great" anyday. Then again, that old pic of Grant in his underpants was pretty ridiculous.

Adrian B AWESOME

You have to remember that a lot of people hate Grant Morrison for whatever reason (especially certain ninjas) and that some people see it as an opportunity to throw something in the face of an extremely popular writer on this board (probably the most popular behind Bendis...which I can't begin to understand) so there is a sort of faux rivalry between the two.

Or maybe it's just the magicks.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I blame the magicks.

YOU TOO!??!!

Joe Kalicki
07-28-2008, 04:47 PM
YOU TOO!??!!

My words have been magicked!!!!

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Now, if we wanna compare self-promotion - Morrison is a lot more creative than Millar. I'd rather hear goofy hippie speak than "I'm so great" anyday. Then again, that old pic of Grant in his underpants was pretty ridiculous.

Definately NSFW and definately not in good taste for anyone:

http://www.wackyjac.com/boudoir/gallery/grant/grant%20nood.jpg

http://www.wackyjac.com/boudoir/gallery/grant/grant%20tool.jpg

http://www.wackyjac.com/boudoir/gallery/grant/grant%20and%20kristan.jpg

nick maynard
07-28-2008, 04:49 PM
You have to remember that a lot of people hate Grant Morrison for whatever reason (especially certain ninjas) and that some people see it as an opportunity to throw something in the face of an extremely popular writer on this board (probably the most popular behind Bendis...which I can't begin to understand) so there is a sort of faux rivalry between the two.

Or maybe it's just the magicks.
but... you were the one that made this into a one guy is better than the other guy. :mistrust:

before you made your comment about grant's wastebin, we were talking about whether or not mark millar wrote comics specifically for the purpose of having them become movies. not who is better.

NickT
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
You know, it's times like these when you really notice that somebody has been banned :)

Raphael J
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Gotta love the quote. Grant Morrison is a creative juggernaut.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
but... you were the one that made this into a one guy is better than the other guy. :mistrust:

before you made your comment about grant's wastebin, we were talking about whether or not mark millar wrote comics specifically for the purpose of having them become movies. not who is better.

Dude, don't worry, the magicks are out of control. I'll just use my sigil to calm everything down.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
You know, it's times like these when you really notice that somebody has been banned :)

I gave him a mention!

And Raph: :lol:

NickT
07-28-2008, 04:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/ReaperFett/clap.gif

Fantastic :D

Andreas
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Morrison's reaction to Hollywood suddenly becoming interested in comic books:

... [Gerard] Way said Morrison coined the term lo-fi weirdness (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080726-comiccon-morrison-way.html) in an interview about six or seven years ago. Way said that inspired him to create The Umbrella Academy.

So what did Morrison mean by the term lo-fi weirdness? The Final Crisis writer said that as the new century began, he thought the internet was opening up new possibilities for creativity.

"The whole internet thing was allowing music to be made by anyone and comics to be made by anyone," he said. At the same time, however, Hollywood was becoming very interested in comic books. "Movies were starting to fixate on comics and steal all our stuff."

So Morrison thought comics should fight back. "So I figured the best way to fight back was to make comics even more bizarre, because the one thing comics can do is weirdness and strangeness and surrealism, and they do that better than movies."

He added, "I think we just need more weird shit, to be honest, on this planet."

Andreas

Akira
07-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Out standing work :lol:

danlomb
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

I remember swooning over that quote when I read the Morrison/Way panel yesterday *sigh*.

On a related note: this girl and I were so pissed and baked on Saturday night, that we attempted the 'sparkler teleportation' trick Morrison instructs in Doom Patrol. We tried for Ibiza.

It didn't work :surrend:

The Hodag
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM

I watched that lecture a year or two back and it kinda put me off of Morrison for a bit. He's a bit hypnotic to listen to, but his philosophizing came off as drug-induced and new-age spastic. And the little coughs and mini-laughs throughout made me want to strangle him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gHOh4Cgkn0

As with most Morrison stuff, though, even his aliens/drugs speech there has some interesting moments. Sounds like it's derived from that 19th century sci-fi story, Flatland.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-29-2008, 06:08 AM
I watched that lecture a year or two back and it kinda put me off of Morrison for a bit. He's a bit hypnotic to listen to, but his philosophizing came off as drug-induced and new-age spastic. And the little coughs and mini-laughs throughout made me want to strangle him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gHOh4Cgkn0

As with most Morrison stuff, though, even his aliens/drugs speech there has some interesting moments. Sounds like it's derived from that 19th century sci-fi story, Flatland.

Yep, that's the speech. It's actually from 1999.

Doug
07-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Can we at least all agree that Non-American comicbook writers are better then American comicbook writers? ;)

Please don't take this post seriously.

sambofred
07-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Can we at least all agree that Non-American comicbook writers are better then American comicbook writers? ;)

Please don't take this post seriously.

I dont think that I will read another 'new comic' until the crossovers end. Whatever happened to FOCUS in comics? I'm not going to bash a writer for doing what needs to be done to earn a paycheck. But I would kind of like to see some creativity in comics. They are all starting to sound/read the same.
Too bad money is the driving factor with the big box comic companies and not stories.

SMACK!
07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Almost an Amen brother!

The first 15 or so issues of Animal Man were great, before he went on a drug binge and destroyed the comic in his last few issues. Horrible stuff.
I've not read a lot of Millar, but have yet to find anything I didn't like. Wanted was brilliant. I could never use that word to describe anything Morrison has done.

Arkham Asylum is brilliant. But that too was straight edge Morrison.

PatrickA
07-29-2008, 06:38 AM
It is weird that these threads turn into Millar v. Morrison all the time.

I know it's not really a conflict Millar has much interest in and I can't imagine it is keeping Morrison up most nights.

SMACK!
07-29-2008, 07:03 AM
“You gotta remember in the entire history of the universe ... you’re the only ‘you’ that has ever existed and ever will exist,” Morrison said. “... there’s nobody in existence who is you, and no one can ever see the world the way you see it and can tell the rest of us how it looks. And it might be so different and so beautiful that it changes everything.”

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

palahniuk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Morrison

Generic Poster
07-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah, but Morrison writes for comics.

I don't know. Morrison's ASS and Batman RIP are both written very movie-like (see, e.g., the way the credits "roll" throughout the first few panels). He might not be writing them as movie pitches, but he sure seems to be writing them like little movies.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-29-2008, 07:29 AM
palahniuk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Morrison

Um, did you not get that much of what Tyler Durden/The Narrator preached was an outright lie?

SMACK!
07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Um, did you not get that much of what Tyler Durden/The Narrator preached was an outright lie?

We're talking writer versus writer, not writer versus fictional character.

SMACK!
07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
btw LOVE the avatar.

NeverWanderer
07-29-2008, 08:11 AM
That was a great panel.

I was also extremely impressed with Gerard Way.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
We're talking writer versus writer, not writer versus fictional character.

Well, until Palahniuk starts writing comics, I can't compare.

But that would be fucking sweet.

And come on. Chuck Austen in a bow-tie. How can you lose?!

NickT
07-29-2008, 08:39 AM
And come on. Chuck Austen in a bow-tie. How can you lose?!
Does it spin round?

LittleBastard
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Arkham Asylum is brilliant. But that too was straight edge Morrison.

I remember the art being better than the story...

capntightpants
07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
hrm. methinks people need to chill and appreciate them for what they are good at. everyone's got their preferences. writers got their highs and lows. why so serious?

Roman Noodles
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm in a constant love/hate thing with Morrison. :heart:/:brkheart:

BWC Boston
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Morrison is my personal most-admired comic book writer. I feel about him the way I do about Elvis Costello and Beck; even the stuff I don't personally like is creatively (if not technically) sound. Just because a particular piece doesn't work for me, I can't decry it as "bad." He's never phoned a thing in, that I can see, and that unfettered creative stream is inspiring to me.

So, yeah. As new age-y and facile as that quote may be, I take it to heart as a sincere sentiment in the moment he said it. And it's groovy.

changingshades
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Christ I hope not! I like having hair!

pretty pretty girl's hair

changingshades
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM

then you should go read their collaborations on Swamp Thing and Flash, among other things.

SMACK!
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Morrison is my personal most-admired comic book writer. I feel about him the way I do about Elvis Costello and Beck; even the stuff I don't personally like is creatively (if not technically) sound. Just because a particular piece doesn't work for me, I can't decry it as "bad." He's never phoned a thing in, that I can see, and that unfettered creative stream is inspiring to me.

So, yeah. As new age-y and facile as that quote may be, I take it to heart as a sincere sentiment in the moment he said it. And it's groovy.
If you were to ask me who my favorite musicians are, I probably wouldn't come up with Elvis Costello, but when I am listening to him, there's not a doubt he is my favorite.

BWC Boston
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
If you were to ask me who my favorite musicians are, I probably wouldn't come up with Elvis Costello, but when I am listening to him, there's not a doubt he is my favorite.

That's EXACTLY my relationship with both Costello and Morrison.

Fake Pat
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Thaaaank you.

I love it when I meet anybody else willing to seperate their subjective and objective assessments like this.

bradical
07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

just enjoyed.

andrew french
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Morrison added that many comics nowadays were “cheesy pitch documents for movies that were never going to get made. We really want comics to be comics.”

that is a good, sadly accurate quote.

dEnny!
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
HaWT!

NickT
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17505

Gopalan next asked the panel about digital comics, which Matt Fraction referred to as "just another option." "As long as there's print, there will be comics," he added, due to comics' nature as "a cheap, easy, nasty, swarthy little medium." Cassaday said that he, like many people, need to be able to hold a comic to fully enjoy it, adding that he even prints out his scripts rather than read them on his computer. Morrison agreed, because “you can't take your computer in the bath.” When Kirkman disagreed, the pair went back and forth until it became apparent that while Kirkman was talking about bringing a laptop into the bathroom, Morrison meant bringing into "the actual water, Kirkman!"
:lol:

andrew french
07-30-2008, 12:08 PM
haha Morrison is awesome

NeverWanderer
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
This seemed like the place to post this.

My article on the Morrison/Way panel went up over at Geeks of Doom this morning! I know I was sort of late to the party on breaking the news, but I'm hoping I touched on enough details not covered elsewhere to make it a worthy sibling to Newsarama and IGN's pieces.

Sheggidout: http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/08/04/sdcc-08-grant-morrison-gerard-way-born-under-a-black-sun/

(btw, any variances in the exact phrasing of quotes is due to me writing this mostly from memory, with only a few scribbled notes from the actual day to guide me.)

Benel Germosen
08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Morrison and Millar are very similar to me. I do like many of their ideas. I dislike the way they execute them a lot of the times. They're both got good stuff and bad stuff. They're both madman and I would like to buy both of them drinks.