PDA

View Full Version : Non-Parents: What's the first band you love that you will introduce your kids to?

Akira
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Inspired by reading about "lullabye" versions of Pink Floyd, Metallica, Nirvana and more, I was wondering who I would introduce my kids to first. I'm thinking I'd start my kids on an early diet of The Beatles, Queen, Al Green, The Temptations, and Roberta Flack.

Shane W
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Gwar

Ben
07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Are people really under the delusion that your kids are going to want your million year old entertainment? I didn't like anything my parents liked until I became an adult. But I always here people talking about how they can't wait to "introduce" their kids to stuff in their DVD collections, and it just sounds like they're insane.

Gregory
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
The Muppets.

Patch
News flash.

Your kids won't give a fuck. By 2nd grade, Disney Popsters will have them eating out of their hand.

Roman Noodles
That is a nice little list there Akira. I'm jealous of your future kids.

Ben
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
News flash.

Your kids won't give a fuck. By 2nd grade, Disney Popsters will have them eating out of their hand.
That was much more succinct.

Whip
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I liked the stuff my mom liked, music-wise. When I hear the songs she played while she cleaned the house nowadays, I get filled with nostalgia. I don't think I'll buy them music that I think they will like because I liked it too -- they'll just be exposed to it from a young age, just as I was, and will make the decision on whether or not they'll like it. Starting with Marvin Gaye, Anita Baker, and Juan Luis Guerra. :)

Jim T.
07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
News flash.

I can confirm the truthiness of this. Although my kids now like the Beatles' "Hello Goodbye" but only because of the Target commercial! :)

RickLM
My kids love my old records, especially the Beatles, Dylan, Talking Heads and newer stuff like The White Stripes. My daughter even likes Warren Zevon, of all things.

I always thought my dad's fondness for Bob Seger was lame, but I loved his old CCR and Bo Diddley records.

Not every kid will reject his parents' music.

Patch
I liked the stuff my mom liked, music-wise. When I hear the songs she played while she cleaned the house nowadays, I get filled with nostalgia. I don't think I'll buy them music that I think they will like because I liked it too -- they'll just be exposed to it from a young age, just as I was, and will make the decision on whether or not they'll like it. Starting with Marvin Gaye, Anita Baker, and Juan Luis Guerra. :)

I getcha.

This is why my eyes glaze over when I hear Glen Campbell, Petula Clark, or Englebert Humperdinck.

Joe Kalicki
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
NWA

NickT
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I will or not. I'll just play stuff I like and if they like it, bonus :)

bartleby
07-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Are people really under the delusion that your kids are going to want your million year old entertainment? I didn't like anything my parents liked until I became an adult. But I always here people talking about how they can't wait to "introduce" their kids to stuff in their DVD collections, and it just sounds like they're insane.

I'm going to force my kids to listen to a bunch of music I hate, so they'll rebel and actually end up listening to music that I really do like.

Shane W
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm going to force my kids to listen to a bunch of music I hate, so they'll rebel and actually end up listening to music that I really do like.

What makes you think that they'll like TV theme songs?

Ben
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm going to force my kids to listen to a bunch of music I hate, so they'll rebel and actually end up listening to music that I really do like.Comic books will be against the rules under my roof.

SgtPepper
07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I can confirm the truthiness of this. Although my kids now like the Beatles' "Hello Goodbye" but only because of the Target commercial! :)
Darn, I figured you and your kids had Replacements sing-alongs. :(

My kids love my old records, especially the Beatles, Dylan, Talking Heads and newer stuff like The White Stripes. My daughter even likes Warren Zevon, of all things.

I always thought my dad's fondness for Bob Seger was lame, but I loved his old CCR and Bo Diddley records.

Not every kid will reject his parents' music.

Your daughter has got some discriminating taste. :thumb:

Drkemerld73
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Weird Al Yankovic :D

gibbEy
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Nirvana.

Oh, and The Flaming Lips.

Kedd
07-17-2008, 10:52 AM
The Roots

CapnChaos
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
They Might Be Giants and The Aquabats. And Weird Al, yes.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
What makes you think that they'll like TV theme songs?

:lol:!

Akira
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
News flash.

Sure, if they don't know any better. Of course they'll like the popular music of their time, but good music is timeless. Introduce them too it before cynicism sets in and it'll just be more good music to them.

TIP
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Frank Zappa

NickT
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Sure, if they don't know any better. Of course they'll like the popular music of their time, but good music is timeless. Introduce them too it before cynicism sets in and it'll just be more good music to them.I'm sorry, when was it agreed that your music tastes were good? :)

Cactusakic
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Tom Waits.
Husker Du.
The Doors.

DAVE
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Beatles, absolutely.

PeterSparker
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
The Donnas

Patch
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Sure, if they don't know any better. Of course they'll like the popular music of their time, but good music is timeless. Introduce them too it before cynicism sets in and it'll just be more good music to them.

I've done that, since they were babies.
They do like a lot of the same music I do--
just be aware that television and school will be every bit as great an influence.

Or, in other words, learn to live with High School Musical 2.

greg donovan
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
the first music that wasnt kids junk that my kids actually listened to was The Beatles #1 album on a car trip. needless to say, Yellow Submarine was the big hit with them.

ther are also fans of TMBG and a couple Flogging Molly songs.

however, the stuff that really gets them singing is High School Musical and Taylor Swift.

greg donovan
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
just be aware that television and school will be every bit as great an influence.

my daughter finally stopped asking to hear the HSM soundtracks. of course that was replaced by Taylor Swift and Hannah Montana.

Sheldo
07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
The Beatles for sure. Simon and Garfunkel too.

Akira
07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

I don't doubt it, but I'm also not throwing in the towel. :)

Mr. E!
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm with Capn C...TMBG and Weird Al.
My mother raised me on a steady diet of Barry Manalow, Neil Diamond, the Carpenters and Ray Coniff. I'll not be repeating her errors

NickT
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
the first music that wasnt kids junk that my kids actually listened to was The Beatles #1 album on a car trip. needless to say, Yellow Submarine was the big hit with them.

Over here, Yellow Submarine is basically a kids song they sing at school :)

greg donovan
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm with Capn C...TMBG and Weird Al.
My mother raised me on a steady diet of Barry Manalow, Neil Diamond, the Carpenters and Ray Coniff. I'll not be repeating her errors

my parents used to always laugh at me when i would talk about how much i hated neil diamond's music but loved the monkees. i didnt undertand untill much later in life.

Taxman
07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
My younger one will just bust out with songs all of the time. Sometimes, I don't even know where he has heard them. He has done Weird Al, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, Gwen Stepani, Van Hallen, The Killers, and who knows what else. The first one I remember is Twist and Shout, when he was about three years old.

thecheat1
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
When I was a kid, I used listen to my Mom's copies of Beatles' White Album and Elton John's greatest hits, intermingled with The Rescuers and Winnie the Pooh on LP. Whenever Revolution#9 came on it scared the crap out of me. My Dad was a big Police fan so, I used to listen to them too.

If fact, my taste in music was pretty heavily influenced by my Parent's and my Uncle as I got a little older.

I'll probably do the same with my kids as I do with my little brother, turning him onto stuff like the Beatles, Beck, and New Order. Groups that are fun but musically challenging.

I also remember as a kid getting interested in groups that seemed weird or scary...stuff like Metallica and Pink floyd seemed way out there and were exciting to listen to. With that in mind, I'd probably get them listening to some newer Radiohead, Bowie, stuff like that.

chazbot
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
The Beach Boys

SMVidaurri
07-17-2008, 03:47 PM
My mom listened to a lot of Tom Petty when I was younger. My dad, who I didn't live with, had a pretty awesome cd collection. I stole his Creedence, Neil Young and Who cd's, they opened up a whole new world. I'm only 22, so no kids anytime soon. But I don't believe that every kid nowadays digs Teen-Disney junk, I certainly never liked any of that crap.

Icaruss
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I loved the music my dad listened to, but he never tried to, you know, sit me down and make me listen to it. He just put some BB King/Collective Soul/REM/Beatles/Rolling Stones in the car, and I asked: "What's this?" and he told me, and that's the kind of music I have liked ever since.

PimpSlapStick!
07-17-2008, 05:07 PM
My son gets a daily dose of Isley Brothers, Earth,Wind&Fire, Zapp, Outkast and Luther Vandross.

Bitches will love him

dasNdanger
07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
It's amazing how the stuff you hear when you're little sticks with you, especially if it comes with good memories.

My parents loved Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and to this day that music still makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. We also had a small collection of old 45s, including some early Beatles, Beep Beep (Playmates?), and another song called Gypsy Rover (Highwaymen?). Oh, and some old 78s, including Spike Jones' version of Three Little Fishes (which later lead me into a Dr. Demento addiction).

So, I think whatever you introduce your kids to at a young age will stick with them, and if it's done in a good environment, they'll have equally good memories from it.

I'll never have kids, but if I did, I would probably let them have a listen to some R&R from the late 60s - just hard to say which band. CCR, maybe...their sound is pretty mellow, with good beats. Bad Moon Rising - that would be the first song I'd have them give a listen to...

das

jason hissong
07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
If I ever have children they will listen to Radiohead still in the womb.

PimpSlapStick!
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
It's amazing how the stuff you hear when you're little sticks with you, especially if it comes with good memories.

My parents loved Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and to this day that music still makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. We also had a small collection of old 45s, including some early Beatles, Beep Beep (Playmates?), and another song called Gypsy Rover (Highwaymen?). Oh, and some old 78s, including Spike Jones' version of Three Little Fishes (which later lead me into a Dr. Demento addiction).

So, I think whatever you introduce your kids to at a young age will stick with them, and if it's done in a good environment, they'll have equally good memories from it.

I'll never have kids, but if I did, I would probably let them have a listen to some R&R from the late 60s - just hard to say which band. CCR, maybe...their sound is pretty mellow, with good beats. Bad Moon Rising - that would be the first song I'd have them give a listen to...

das

Any Stevie Wonder or Jackson Five song gives me the warm&fuzzies

adam_warlock_2099
07-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Both of my children know/recognize Pink Floyd. Especially "Brain Damage" and "Learning To Fly". I'm getting them started on Portishead.

My oldest really likes James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" and Tommy James and the Shondels "Crimson and Clover".

dasNdanger
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Any Stevie Wonder or Jackson Five song gives me the warm&fuzzies

That reminds me...

My sister is 5 years older than me - she had some Jackson stuff, but mostly she LOVED Three Dog Night, and to this day I just get all toasty inside when I hear their songs, especially Never Been To Spain, and Black & White.

das

greg donovan
07-17-2008, 05:27 PM

das

i have fond memories of summer days listening to CCR and long road trips with my dad and listening to johnny cash. my favorite cash song as a child was Rock Island Line.

TheHanna
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Gwar

Quoted for fucking truth. ;)

Girlfriend In A Coma
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
My baby shall listen to Morrissey in the womb...and also be named after him.

Blake Sims
07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
The Beach Boys and the Beatles. Gage thier response and go from there.

mike black
07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.netweed.com/prohiphop/graf/badbrainslightning2.jpg

PimpSlapStick!
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
That reminds me...

My sister is 5 years older than me - she had some Jackson stuff, but mostly she LOVED Three Dog Night, and to this day I just get all toasty inside when I hear their songs, especially Never Been To Spain, and Black & White.

das

Man takin' me back....

I think I'm gonna pull out some J5 now.

8-)