PDA

View Full Version : Kit Yarrow (whoever she is) is an ass

dasNdanger
07-13-2008, 04:27 AM
So, I'm watching ABC news this morning, and some happy go lucky consumer 'psychologist' - Kit Yarrow - just said the bad economy is all in our heads...a psychological recession.

So, according to her, because we've had it so good during over the last few years, we perceive the economy should be better, and it's not - so, basically, we're pouting, and not spending anymore because economic growth is slower than we expect it to be. We are creating the recession in our heads.

Rich people REALLY need to keep their dumbass opinions to themselves...or pay my bills. Take your choice.

das

Thommy Melanson
07-13-2008, 04:30 AM
She's just echoing what McCain's national campaign co-chair Phil Gramm said last week.

We're a nation of whiners too, apparently.

Vote Obama. :thumb:

joespam
07-13-2008, 04:36 AM
The woman may be a vapid ditz, but she's not the only person that thinks that, and it is true to some degree. Sure, if you're someone living hand-to-mouth, if you've lost your job, if you can't make your payments or you're overextended, this is inaccurate and inane.

But if you're a business or a bank a lot of the factors that go into whether you decide to invest in a new venture or finance something is whether you believe it will succeed or not. And a big component of that is psychological.

dasNdanger
07-13-2008, 05:06 AM
The thing is, the rich - those who have 'extra' to invest, etc. - cannot speak for those of us (who I believe are in the majority) who live paycheck to paycheck. Sure, hubby and I can squirrel a little away, but we've had to use most of that to just meet rapidly increasing expenses.

For instance, our mortage just went up $110 a month. That wasn't principle and interest (fixed), but taxes and insurance, and escrow 'reserve'. So, I can get most of the reserve charge taken off, but I'll pay for it later. $110 dollars a month. That's all the 'luxuries'. Comics. Satellite. Movies. Dining out. That's about the extent of our luxuries. We don't go on trips, or own 'toys' (boat, camper, etc), hell...we don't even have a big-screen tv, or a stereo, or an i-pod.

That doesn't include the increase in gas (we do have two vehicles, a Honda, and a van for my husband's business), or food prices, or electric (all-electric house).

So, this Yarrow lady says *I* need to stop worrying, and start spending money. Where am I supposed to get this money? Prices have risen so fast, and our wages remain the same - that means we have to take from what we already spend on luxuries just to pay our bills (as it should be in times like this). I don't know where she expects this other disposible income to come from, unless - of course - she wants to lend me some of her money.

My dad's been in business since 1974. We've never seen it this bad in our area - so many homes in foreclosure, so many customers going out of business, and the others unable to pay, or pay on time - customers who never had this problem before. I really don't know what world this Yarrow person lives in, but it's certainly not the real one, and it's certainly not in south Jersey.

das

greg donovan
07-13-2008, 05:27 AM
my wife and i have been living paycheck to paycheck since we had kids.

we have finally started making more money. but guess what? shit costs more now than before and it has increased faster than the pay has increased.

the changes in the economy have made it harder to qualify for a home loan and banks wont finance cars with lots of miles on them at a rate we can afford. we have less than stellar credit due to some foolish mistakes a few years ago and a sharp drop in our income 4 years ago because my wife went back to school. lets just say that the credit card bill was the last thing to get paid at the end of the month (if at all).

on one hand she is right and that if people spent like crazy the economy would improve a little. the thing is most of us dont have the money to spend unless we use credit. i am pretty sure that is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Travis M. Bierwagen
07-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I saw that Kit Yarrow thing this morning also.

I work at a tv station so I have to sit through A LOT of these annoying morning shows.

It kind of pisses me off the way the producers of these shows/segments seem to think we all work 9-5 office jobs behind a desk and are raking in the cash.

They frequently have stories like:

How to ask for a raise
How to dress for a promotion
How to make a great first impression at the office.
etc, etc, etc.

None of these pieces ever seem to be aimed at the regular joe, y'know the people that are actually watching GMA.

dasNdanger
07-13-2008, 05:58 AM
I saw that Kit Yarrow thing this morning also.

I work at a tv station so I have to sit through A LOT of these annoying morning shows.

It kind of pisses me off the way the producers of these shows/segments seem to think we all work 9-5 office jobs behind a desk and are raking in the cash.

They frequently have stories like:

How to ask for a raise
How to dress for a promotion
How to make a great first impression at the office.
etc, etc, etc.

None of these pieces ever seem to be aimed at the regular joe, y'know the people that are actually watching GMA.

Exactly. The media is so out of touch with real people. Pains me to watch most of their 'advice' pieces.

das

greg donovan
07-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Exactly. The media is so out of touch with real people. Pains me to watch most of their 'advice' pieces.

das

i did like the Today show segment about the two couples that had a lot of sex.

one had sex every day for 100 days and another had sex every day for a year.

that was a good segment.

oh, and these wer couples that had been married for a while too, not horny newlyweds.

Brad N.
07-13-2008, 08:11 AM
The woman may be a vapid ditz, but she's not the only person that thinks that, and it is true to some degree. Sure, if you're someone living hand-to-mouth, if you've lost your job, if you can't make your payments or you're overextended, this is inaccurate and inane.

But if you're a business or a bank a lot of the factors that go into whether you decide to invest in a new venture or finance something is whether you believe it will succeed or not. And a big component of that is psychological.

No, this recession is real and it's going to continue to get worse. The few idiots like her and Phil Gramm who think the Tinkerbell clapping theory will prevail (since it worked so well with Iraq) have a lot of shit coming their way when Obama is elected. Hopefully people like her won't be allowed to flat out lie on TV anymore.

The mortgage collapse, the high cost of goods and services, large lending institutions (aka big shitpile) going out of business entirely or getting bailed out by the Helicopter Ben and the fed doesn't help matters either. No, the people who actually know what they're talking about will tell you not only are we in a recession and have been for quite some time but that it is going to keep getting worse for years to come. Anyone who cannot see that is either cheerleading for Bush and McCain or has some other agenda. Or perhaps as is often the case with out of touch journalists on the national scale perhaps they're rich beyond imagination and have no idea what the average Joe is going through.

Taxman
07-13-2008, 08:23 AM
So, I'm watching ABC news this morning, and some happy go lucky consumer 'psychologist' - Kit Yarrow - just said the bad economy is all in our heads...a psychological recession.

So, according to her, because we've had it so good during over the last few years, we perceive the economy should be better, and it's not - so, basically, we're pouting, and not spending anymore because economic growth is slower than we expect it to be. We are creating the recession in our heads.

Rich people REALLY need to keep their dumbass opinions to themselves...or pay my bills. Take your choice.

das I can remember a time when the economy was fueled by factors other than spending, and there was a concerted effort to encourage people to save more. Now there are economists and people in the government trying to convince people it is their civic duty to spend all of their disposable income and carry substantial debt to consume as much as possible and accelerator the economy. It is almost like a Sliders episode where everyone was living in indentured servitude in shopping malls. That was supposed to dystopian fantasy story telling.

For almost three decades now, the government has suppressed and exported inflation. Inflation is a natural part of the economic cycle which was of benefit to those on the lower end of the economic spectrum.

Ashwin Pande
07-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Our media is reporting on Alien Invasions being the thing that will wipe us all out tomorrow and the Hindu Gods returning to destroy the world.

Amos Moses
07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Our media is reporting on Alien Invasions being the thing that will wipe us all out tomorrow and the Hindu Gods returning to destroy the world.

I wish Comcast provided some of those channels!

copypastepuke
07-13-2008, 08:32 AM
turn off your tvs and lets have a revolution the hippies were right all along

Ashwin Pande
07-13-2008, 08:34 AM
turn off your tvs and lets have a revolution the hippies were right all along

Fuck that shit! I'll burn down the rainforests just to make a hippie cry!

CougarTrace
07-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I believe the recession is regional and hurting some areas more than others.

I do believe people are paying more for stuff, but we've been fortunate down here that we have been better off lately.

But, I have no doubt that people are hurting especially ones that were having troubles making ends meet anyway.

Thommy Melanson
07-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Man, Virgin will go to any lengths to sell some comics!

Ashwin Pande
07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Man, Virgin will go to any lengths to sell some comics!

I'm sending this post to Branson!

copypastepuke
07-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Fuck that shit! I'll burn down the rainforests just to make a hippie cry!
you are not getting my vote

Thommy Melanson
07-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm sending this post to Branson!

Missouri?

Why would The Osmonds care?!

Ashwin Pande
07-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Missouri?

Why would The Osmonds care?!

This is Bronson, Missouri.

http://wednesdaynight.org/2002/10/bronson.png

Thommy Melanson
07-13-2008, 08:57 AM
This is Bronson, Missouri.

http://wednesdaynight.org/2002/10/bronson.png

Hey now!
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/brnonn.jpg

joespam
07-13-2008, 09:44 AM
No, this recession is real and it's going to continue to get worse. The few idiots like her and Phil Gramm who think the Tinkerbell clapping theory will prevail (since it worked so well with Iraq) have a lot of shit coming their way when Obama is elected. Hopefully people like her won't be allowed to flat out lie on TV anymore. Didn't say the recession wasn't real. Just said vapid TV woman not 100% wrong, and thought I explained why pretty well.

Taxman
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
One's economic responsibility is to improve and preserve the economic condition of one's own family, not "fuel the economy" because others who seem to be in authority think they should.

Whip
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
One's economic responsibility is to improve and preserve the economic condition of one's own family, not "fuel the economy" because others who seem to be in authority think they should.

Winnar.

dEnny!
07-14-2008, 06:03 AM
We're a nation of whiners too, apparently.

I think there is some truth to that.

I think we are a nation of overspenders getting into a lot of debt and buying more than we can afford: credit card, mortgage, home equity loans, lines of credit, car payments, etc and then when the money isn't flowing i.e. no raises, promotions, or sadly even layoffs we are screwed and it's everyone else's fault. I think if people had managed their money more wisely even with an economic downturn it wouldn't create as large a negative impact as this one has.

While my gas and grocery bill has gone up, I'm paying my bills, I'm saving money, and heck making large purchases like new carpet and TV because I can afford it or manage my money in a manner that allows me to do so. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but listening to coworkers and other people about the financial distress they've put themselves in is scary.

dEnny!
07-14-2008, 06:04 AM

I completely agree, but part of what's screwing our economy is that people have NOT been economically responsible with their own family. They have purchased the fancy cars, big homes, and thrown everything on a credit card. We are a consumer nation and many have gorged themselves to the point of bankruptcy and foreclosure.

Ben
07-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Isn't that how all recessions start?

dEnny!
07-14-2008, 06:07 AM

You mean like:

How to get off welfare?
How to live on your worker's comp check?
Earning after your disability?
How to get the most out of your lawsuit?
How to open up your own meth lab?
How to get hooked on Oxycontin?

Oh wait, those guys are watching Springer. :D

Brad N.
07-14-2008, 06:32 AM
So it looks like Helicopter Ben has decided to bail out big shitpile and Fannie and Freddie's investors can sleep soundly tonight. Ah, Capitalism!

Ray G.
07-14-2008, 06:40 AM
So it looks like Helicopter Ben has decided to bail out big shitpile and Fannie and Freddie's investors can sleep soundly tonight. Ah, Capitalism!

You can't seriously think it would be a good thing to just let them fail.

Brad N.
07-14-2008, 07:04 AM
You can't seriously think it would be a good thing to just let them fail.

Absolutely it would. What good does it do to have shareholder owned entities when the government will come and bail them out anytime they have a problem? I have no problem with there being mortgage fallbacks, but they shouldn't be publically traded companies if that's the case.

And just for the record all the people who go on and on about welfare and what have you but have no problem with this and the rest of the recent government bailouts for multi-billion dollar corporations can eat a dick.

adam_warlock_2099
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM

I have a responsibilty as a father and a husband, and that is to provide for the needs of my family. One of those needs, I feel is my wife being at home with our children, so that they can have a proper enviroment, that I don't think they would get being raised in daycare.

So with that, I have to do it on one income. That's fine, I've been doing it since we got married. Still doesn't mean that every dollar I have I should throw at Wal-Mart or Target just because someone says it's my civic duty. I have to save every dollar I can so that I can fill up my damned vehicles. And I don't drive much but to work at back.