PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually buy a comic title regardless of creative team?

Evan Wiener
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Does anyone still buy a series because they like the character so much or -shudder- because they need to complete the numbering of the series?

If there's a creative team who is taking a character in a direction that you just find terrible, or the scripts are pretty bad compared to when you started buying the book, why do you continue buying? Are you that anal that you toss money away for it?

I've heard it argued that being a fan of a character is like being a fan of a sports team, but I don't agree. One is based on entertainment value, and the other is mostly hope for a winning team to feed civic pride (which is why any Dallas Cowboys fan that was born in Philadelphia and has no direct tie to Dallas is a fraud :) ).

However, following a creative team makes way more sense to me. If you like a specific writer or artist, and they take on a character you'd normally not care about, I can see going either way. You love the creator's work so much, you'll pick up a book you normally wouldn't, or that book is too far off your radar to follow them to it.

Jim T.
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I buy Iron Man regardless of the creative team. Same with the Avengers, although it seems like ages since anyone but Bendis was on it... They're both books I"ve read on and off since I was a kid and I can still find interesting stuff in them regardless of who's writing or drawing it.

RickLM
07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
If someone wants to keep a complete run going, I can't blame them. Why break up a string of 200 issues just because you don't like this year's writer? Part of the joy of collecting for some people is being a completist.

nick maynard
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
avengers would have to get REALLY REALLY terrible for me to drop it.

AndrewG
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Amazing Spider-Man. He's my favorite character and the one I've been reading the longest. Fortunately, I haven't really hated any of the main writers on the title. Some of the artists, yes, not writers.

Akira
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I would buy Daredevil no matter who the team was.

NickT
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Not yet, but since I have been in comics Deadpool, Cyclops and Daredevil have had top teams. Not yet been tested :)

the_wallcrawler
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Yup. Spider-Man, Batman. I've bought all on-goings for years now.

Supreme Convoy
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
It seemed like I only bought books with creators/stories I liked.

Then I realized I nearly tried to buy every Army of Darkness book out there. The first two mini-series by Devils Due/Dynamite along with the Marvel Zombies crossover was cool... but then I wasn't enjoying the book any longer.

I seriously stopped at the counter and said, "Why am I buying this?" and put it back on the shelf.

chazbot
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Savage Dragon and Ultimate Spider-Man are probably the only titles I have 100+ issue runs on. And neither of those really apply.

allanpat
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I remember a lot of people who used to be X-Men completeists... then Marvel hired Chuck Austen

xhondax
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
yes, i have been buying gi joe for the last two years without knowing who the creative team was. same goes for the transformers and x-men. just have too many x-men comics to stop buying them.

BCD
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
As a kid / teen I would follow characters and titles. I stopped reading comics for a while, and since I came back in 02 or whenever it was, I pretty much only follow talent, and on the rare occasion I'll pick something up on a recommendation.

xhondax
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I remember a lot of people who used to be X-Men completeists... then Marvel hired Chuck Austen

yeah....i have all of those:Oops:

Taxman
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Avengers and Iron Man, for 30 year with interruptions.

Ray G.
Superman. The shit I've suffered through....

Mighty Clintro
I'm currently still buying the Flash series even though I have disliked it since they killed Bart. I'm such a fan of Wally Im just waiting for something good to happen. I've told myself if Wally gets replaced by Barry I'm going to drop it but, then I think Geoff Johns will be writing that book and I'll have to pick it up.

tim nixon
07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
i buy the xmen regardless. the insane continuity that is involved at this point really jives with my 'keep shit in order' disorder. there have been really good stories, and really bad stories, but so what? the bad story doesnt make the characters any less interesting.

i also think it is badass that of all the xmen and xmen related ongoing titles, i am only missing about 15 issues of story(i have a lot of reprints).

do you think it is weird that im starting to buy doubles of all juggernaut's appearances so i can make an unstoppable hardback?

Bill!
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Its gotten to the point where I'll almost buy X-men books regardless of teams. But in truth, I'm probably only one awful read away from dropping that tendency.

Xorn
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
spider-man is one of the books I have gone through the most uneven quality changes, but I still would read it if the creators are bad or really not that good - like the byrne reboot.

TheKraken
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I buy Iron Man regardless of the creative team. Same with the Avengers, although it seems like ages since anyone but Bendis was on it... They're both books I"ve read on and off since I was a kid and I can still find interesting stuff in them regardless of who's writing or drawing it.

Did you buy all that Teen Tony stuff?

allanpat
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah....i have all of those:Oops:

well you also admitted to owning complete runs of GI Joe & Transformers, so Chuck Austen books aren't a huge surprise :)

allanpat
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
i also think it is badass that of all the xmen and xmen related ongoing titles, i am only missing about 15 issues of story(i have a lot of reprints).

never EVER mention this in conjunction with 'badass' to a girl. you'll be single for life.

do you think it is weird that im starting to buy doubles of all juggernaut's appearances so i can make an unstoppable hardback?

this on the other hand, is pretty fucking cool (though equally geeky-creepy) :)

Ashton
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
a lot of my titles stay on my list despite the creative team, but when the book begins to really suck it can still get cut.

lonesomefool
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
A lot of people do. I dont get the appeal, I have heard all the analogies to sports, etc, but even with sports I dont go rushing out to buy tickets of the team sucks or if management isnt trying to put a competitive team on the field. This is why I have always felt a lot of Cubs fans dont deserve the "sympathy" they get from people.

justjeffery
07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
For me, its Moon Knight... I buy it no matter who's on it or how good it is.. I gotta support my favorite character!

juampi
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I'll always check what's going on over Spider-Man and X-Men, but if I don't like what I see I don't feel the need to keep buying.

ChuckMcButcalf
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
spider-man is one of the books I have gone through the most uneven quality changes, but I still would read it if the creators are bad or really not that good - like the byrne reboot.

The Byrne Spidey reboot soured me on comics in general until Civil War. During that period I'd only read Ultimate Spidey in trades.

Bill!
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
A lot of people do. I dont get the appeal, I have heard all the analogies to sports, etc, but even with sports I dont go rushing out to buy tickets of the team sucks or if management isnt trying to put a competitive team on the field. This is why I have always felt a lot of Cubs fans dont deserve the "sympathy" they get from people.

I would consider a sports team different than a comic book.

Besides, its odd to hear those words come from a Minnesota fan.

marvelboi77
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes I do...
Wonder Woman
Catwoman
Birds of Prey
She-Hulk

But I do buy characters I'm not interested in for good stories... Like Ironfist, and Daredevil.

So what I'm saying is I would buy Wonder Woman even if it was crap. But I would only by Daredevil if it was gold.

Lanowar
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Not yet, but since I have been in comics Deadpool, Cyclops and Daredevil have had top teams. Not yet been tested :)

I have all 50 issues of C&D and I've never for a moment thought I wasted my money.

I did do this with Ult Fantastic Four but I dropped it in the end for it just did'nt appeal to me anymore. New Warriors I honestly did try but just gave up when I realised I could'nt remember anyones name.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I never have, even during the years of my nearly blind Superman love. I've added and dropped those books more times than I can count, due to creative team changes, and then those teams running out of good stories*.

(which looking back, was even less than I thought then....Death of Clark Kent, anyone?)

RebootedCorpse
Nope.
When I dropped FF and Spider-Man in the 1990s even though I had a complete run (with reprints) of each.
From then on, I've been ruthless.

costello
Every once and a while I do so.

That's how I got into Roman Dirge's Lenore.

lonesomefool
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I would consider a sports team different than a comic book.

Besides, its odd to hear those words come from a Minnesota fan.

That's the analogy Bendis used at Chicago.

And I dont think Minnesota fans have ever been as bad as Cubs fans. When the Twins sucked, the fans didnt watch and didnt go to the games. When they started winning, they did both those things. That's called being a "smart" fan. Cubs fans for years went to games and sold out games even when the team was losing 90-100 games. A lot of people call them "loyal", it think they are nuts for throwing their money away like that.

Same for Red Sox fans and Comic fans who buy a book even when it sucks. It's peoples money, they can do whatever they want, but if they continue to buy a book even when they admit it sucks, they have no right to bitch about the quality of said book. See X-Men fans who stuck through Chuck Austen's runs on Uncanny and X-Men.

greg donovan
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
only if the teams are good. when i had more disposable income i would give a new teram at least one arc to see if i liked it. now it is one issue and if the concept doesnt appeal to me regardless of quality i am done.

allanpat
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
New Warriors I honestly did try but just gave up when I realised I could'nt remember anyones name.

When I was younger i was a New Warriors completist. I even suffered through Scarlet Spider joining the team & the Marvel Comics Presents crossover with Slapstick.

As an adult, i still tried out each of the new series, but didn't last more than a few issues through any of them. The late 90's burned me out on reading shitty stories just because i liked the characters

Taxman
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Did you buy all that Teen Tony stuff?Why must you be so hateful? :cry:

jason hissong
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Quite the opposite.

UltimateQuintessa
07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
The latest Supergirl book was like that up till Amazons attack tie in then I just gave up. May pick it up again since it's supposed to actually be a Superman Family title again.

Your Pal, Carl
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
the first comic I started collecting was Uncanny X-Men back in 1994. I haven't stopped collecting it.

Mr. Sean
07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
That's the analogy Bendis used at Chicago.

And I dont think Minnesota fans have ever been as bad as Cubs fans. When the Twins sucked, the fans didnt watch and didnt go to the games. When they started winning, they did both those things. That's called being a "smart" fan. Cubs fans for years went to games and sold out games even when the team was losing 90-100 games. A lot of people call them "loyal", it think they are nuts for throwing their money away like that.

Same for Red Sox fans and Comic fans who buy a book even when it sucks. It's peoples money, they can do whatever they want, but if they continue to buy a book even when they admit it sucks, they have no right to bitch about the quality of said book. See X-Men fans who stuck through Chuck Austen's runs on Uncanny and X-Men.

I used to live and work right around wrigley field. For most of the people at those games, it has nothing to do with the cubs or baseball at all. It's just a giant bar/beer garden.

lonesomefool
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I used to live and work right around wrigley field. For most of the people at those games, it has nothing to do with the cubs or baseball at all. It's just a giant bar/beer garden.

Yes, but when the Cubs were losing they loved to also bitch about ownership and managment not putting a good team on the field. All the while, not realizing that for managment there was no incentive. People were packed at the stadium, merchandise sales were great, who cares if the team loses 100 games?

It's the same for comics, if you dont like the direction of Uncanny X-Men or JLA, there is no point to buying it, but bitching about it. DC or Marvel got their money, that's all the bean counters care about in the end.

UltimateQuintessa
07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
You vote with your dollar.

ERNIE_E
07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I once thought I had a few titles like this. Fact is, I don't anymore. Just don't have the available funds to do so. If I check out an indy book it's because of who's doing it, or the art looks amazing. I blind buy all the time, but it's due to a book's premise, or the art.

But I'm not loyal to any one character any longer. But I saw tons of readers like this when I worked at a shop who refused to drop books that I would hear them week after week complain about. I'd suggest books outside their reading stable, guarantee-must reads and repeatedly week-after-week I heard every lame excuse why they won't read it. Fuck 'em. Life's too short to read shitty comics and I don't have enough dollars to go around praying for a turnaround.

My faith is in the people who create, and who give life to the book. Not the character.

tim nixon
07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
never EVER mention this in conjunction with 'badass' to a girl. you'll be single for life.

this on the other hand, is pretty fucking cool (though equally geeky-creepy) :)

im married, and the fact i have all those xmen was a turn ON to her. i found the perfect woman, trust me. :)

Dreaded Anomaly
07-09-2008, 06:20 PM
There are times where I'll give a different creator a chance if I like the character(s) enough.

There are definitely times, though, that I'll drop a book because of the creative team.

In the end, it's all about enjoying the books.

Jef UK
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM

The return of Claremont is what broke me.

tim nixon
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
The return of Claremont is what broke me.
the second return was better;)

Andrew
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
For me, this was the case with Amazing Spider-Man prior to OMD. I have most of the series in general, and certainly have every issue of the last 20 years until the end of 2007. The same goes for any secondary Spidey titles that have come out over the years.

My ASM collection ends with #545. And surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as hard to quit as I thought it would be.

Foolish Mortal
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Captain America.

Jef UK
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
the second return was better;)

I tried a couple of the Alan Davis drawn ones.

http://www.lxrosemerrysgardenxl.com/rffl/rfsplash2.jpg

NOT FOR ME!!!!

dasNdanger
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Does anyone still buy a series because they like the character so much or -shudder- because they need to complete the numbering of the series?

WOLVERINE!!!!!

Yes.

Get over it. :)

das

Chris McCarver
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Used to follow characters, now it's not only creative teams but creative approaches. The changing landscape of comics has caused me to pick up (and drop) a lot of books I wouldn't have thought about doing so a year ago.

THWIP!
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Nope. I follow writers and artists.

Maxwell
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Booster Gold.

adam_warlock_2099
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Well since either Warlock or Thanos' series have never been 100% successful, I buy anything with either of them in it.

I need to get the UFF issues with Thanos in it.

Also I buy anything Jim Starlin is involved in regardless as to how uninteresting it might seem initially.

Slewo.O
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Well since either Warlock or Thanos' series have never been 100% successful, I buy anything with either of them in it.

I need to get the UFF issues with Thanos in it.

Also I buy anything Jim Starlin is involved in regardless as to how uninteresting it might seem initially.

How about anything that's cosmic. Like I dunno Rocket Raccoon and his Human Hangers-on? And did you buy the GOtG series from the 90s? (It had Starlin's Universal Church of Truth as one of the main villians)

adam_warlock_2099
07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
How about anything that's cosmic. Like I dunno Rocket Raccoon and his Human Hangers-on? And did you buy the GOtG series from the 90s? (It had Starlin's Universal Church of Truth as one of the main villians)

Yeah I have most of the GofG in its entirety. And Rocket Raccoon is the awesome.

Slewo.O
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah I have most of the GofG in its entirety. And Rocket Raccoon is the awesome.

Awesome give me a high five Adam *slaps hand*. Also whaddya think of the inclusion of Vance Astro and Starhawk in the current series?

I personally love it. Plus it looks like DnA are living up what they said about this team being connected to it's legacy and it looks like they're gonna stick around long-term since they appear on a cover for #6.

Matt O'Keefe
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Superman. The shit I've suffered through....

Come on. It's way more than just Superman for you, Ray.

The truth is, most people have a preference for characters at least to some extent. There's a reason superhero comics are selling many, many times better than other stuff.

RegularJoe
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
nightwing...robin...

rogerio
07-10-2008, 05:49 AM
I buy any book with Black Widow...;)

Cactusakic
07-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I have always bought and will always buy Batman, Detective Comics and Daredevil regardless of creative team.

Evan the Shaggy
07-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Darkhawk and anything 2099. They may be horrible, but any money going their way means a possible resurgance so I'm down.

Cactusakic
07-10-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh, and erm......Spawn

Just because it's the longest unbroken run of a comic I own.

Flash v2 and DD v1 come close, but due to a couple of missing issues in each of those, Spawn is the leader.

Colby
07-10-2008, 06:08 AM
I come pretty close with Amazing Spider-Man, but even it's seen periods where I drop it.

Lyfeforce
07-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I've collected the core X-titles since New X-Men. Beyond that, no.

dEnny!
07-10-2008, 06:14 AM
I come pretty close with Amazing Spider-Man, but even it's seen periods where I drop it.

I have been reading Amazing since 1982 and consistently buying since 1984 with no end in sight.

adam_warlock_2099
07-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Awesome give me a high five Adam *slaps hand*. Also whaddya think of the inclusion of Vance Astro and Starhawk in the current series?

I personally love it. Plus it looks like DnA are living up what they said about this team being connected to it's legacy and it looks like they're gonna stick around long-term since they appear on a cover for #6.

Oh I remember Starhawk from back in the day too. I like the way they have all used these old cosmic characters, changing them, yet keeping them the same. I mean they are using new designs and whatnot, but the characters still seem true to their origins, which is great.

Between this and Nova, Marvel has got their cosmic vibe back and I am loving it.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I'll buy Avengers and X-Men regardless of the creative team

GelfXIII
07-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Does anyone actually buy a comic title regardless of creative team?

Certainly, until said team really pisses me off so much that I physically cant continue to read it (see: JLA: Pain of the Gods... the last JLA book I've ever bought.) I'll almost always give a new team a chance, especially if it's a title I've been collecting for a number of years.

ERNIE_E
07-10-2008, 06:46 AM
I think this even goes into films for me. Well at least blockbuster movies. I could watch any indy film, hell I think I could pick up almost any indy comic....

anyway, I did not see Elektra, FF, FF2, The Punisher, Ghost Rider, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some as it's the morning for me..... in the theaters. The creative teams, the faith in the actors involved to pull it off.... but my love for the Punisher wouldn't win out. Been a long time since I was devoted to any one book. These days if I am devoted to a book, it's a creator-owned book.

The Dean
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I buy:

Avengers
Captain America
Fantastic Four

regardless of who's on it. I love the characters- not who's writing or drawing them.

Roman Noodles
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I've stuck with series' just because of the character, but yeah, I'll buy a series if I like the creative team.

cPol
07-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Iron Fist. Put him in a book, I'm gonna read it.

It's funny that you post this thread, because when Bru, Fraction and Aja announced they were leaving Immortal Iron Fist and people started saying they were dropping the book as well, I was baffled by that kind of thinking process, the inference being that so long as the person writing it is someone you like, you'd buy a book about a character that you dislike.

charlie
07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
One thing I have done is gone back and gotten large unbroken runs of late 70's-early 80's Marvel comics, but that was because of the creators. Currently, I would never follow any book regardless of creative team.

Andrew
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
One thing I have done is gone back and gotten large unbroken runs of late 70's-early 80's Marvel comics, but that was because of the creators. Currently, I would never follow any book regardless of creative team.

So you finally completed your ROM: Spaceknight collection? ;)

Joe Kalicki
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes, no matter what.

SidekicksRevenge
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Since I was around 6 years old, there's only been one Spider-Man book that I've dropped. I've stuck with Spidey through some serious crap, and am currently getting rewarded for it with Ultimate Spider-Man and (most of) Brand New Day.

Beyond that, there are books (the Fantastic Four and X-Men come to mind) that I'll give any new creative team a shot with, but won't necessarily stick with them if I don't like it (though I do have some pretty embarrassing X-Men runs in my long boxes...) the way I have Spider-Man.

Holy shit, I just realized I've been reading Spider-Man for 23 years.