PDA

View Full Version : The Statue of Liberty

Patrick J
07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
My buddy who surfs my couch every few months just had a good question about the Statue of Liberty and I've not found any answers online - my Google-Fu is weak.

But he asked if there's any significance to the direction towards which the Statue of Liberty faces?

Anyone know?

Bill!
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
She faces the direction that most ships would come into the harbor.

Rod Nunley
07-06-2008, 11:26 AM
She looks towards France, the country that gave her to us.

(I just made that up. Sorry)

SteveZegers
07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I think it's whatever direction she was facing when the Ghostbusters stopped the magic slime from moving her.

The Afroman
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I think it's whatever direction she was facing when the Ghostbusters stopped the magic slime from moving her.

Think thats correct. I remember reading that in my Social Studies book back in 8th grade or so..

nick maynard
07-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Why does the statue face away from the U.S. if it is a symbol of liberty? (Note: The statue faces France as a symbol of the enduring friendship between the two countries. This positioning was fortuitous because the statue was subsequently viewed by more than 12 million immigrants as they entered the U.S., making it one of the first things they saw in America.)

http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=313

it's a .gov website, so that's probably that.

Spidey616
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Kind of makes you wonder....whether she's wearing anything under that robe. She's french you know.

Jerome Gibbons
07-06-2008, 03:30 PM
The Statue is actually armed with giant death rays where its eyes are located in order to combat any enemies that might come from sea, so it makes sense that it'd face that way.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
07-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I think the Greco-Roman motif we have here with our architecture is cool.

stevapalooza
07-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I wish I could've seen it when it was still clean copper. But thanks to Photoshop at least I can create my own rendition.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/snafu1056/statue_of_liberty-copper.jpg

Kensington
07-06-2008, 06:05 PM
She's actually the world's largest (and sexiest) weather vane.

And inside her chest there's a giant beating human heart in chains.

that bastard
07-06-2008, 07:09 PM
And, did you know that one of her feet (the one that is slightly raised) has a broken shackle lying next to it? Symbolizing, y'know, 'breaking free of the shackles of blah blah blah). That's pretty damned cool.

Bervda
07-06-2008, 07:10 PM

I'm late to the thread, but a variation of this is what I thought when I read the OP.