PDA

View Full Version : How much is your mail order subscription saving you?

Shwicaz
07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I posted this over at the beat, and I thought I'd post it here. Lots of people looking to save money. Lots of people wondering about mail order.

I get most of my trades through DCBS (except for 'spontaneous purchases', which is when something catches my eye while I am out). The savings on trades through DCBS are amazing.

I have never used their 'pull list' service, because you can't just add a book to your pull and automatically get it, I believe you have to fill out a new order each month.

So, I went with Marvel subscriptions for my 'definite purchases' (the books I know I enjoy)

here is what I posted:

People looking to save money can go the subscription route. I dropped almost all my comics. Now I get Cap, Mighty and New Avengers directly from Marvel Subscriptions. 12 issues a year for only 19.97. I also ordered the Amazing Spider-Man 36 pack (a one year subscription for 49.97. My total for the the 4 titles directly from marvel is $109.88 for the whole year.

If I bought those issues off the stands, the total would be $215.28 for those 4 titles for the year. I am saving over $105.00 by ordering my books directly from Marvel. Of course, those sales wonít count on the Diamond charts, but thatís ok. I know what titles I am enjoying, and I am also enjoying the big discount. And I get it delivered right to my door. Yeah, sometimes I have to wait an extra few days, but with those savings I really canít complain.

I believe that if you ordered your books through DCBS, you would get even more savings, overall.

I still buy books off the stands (secret invasion, walking dead, the twelve, 1985), but the majority of my purchases are done through some sort of mail order service.

Slewo.O
07-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Yep I do the same thing. But I go with the 36 issue deal for Amazing since 12 is gonna dry up in less than a year with 3 issues a month. It saves me ALOT of money and sometimes I even get my books earlier, but conversely some of them are late like Daredevil for instance. :mistrust:

But I buy most of my books other than the ones I subscribe to on retail to support my LCS and because I can't subscribe to them on a service that won't leave me waiting. :\

Foggy's Pal
07-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I buy my Marvel from Marvel sub and DC at the LCS. You can't beat Marvel because there is no tax or shipping. If you buy the Spidey 36 or two for $37 deal you save even more. Usually my books arrive early which is nice.
I looked at DC online, but there books are about $.50 more expensive than Marvel, not a huge savings.

Slewo.O
07-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I buy my Marvel from Marvel sub and DC at the LCS. You can't beat Marvel because there is no tax or shipping. If you buy the Spidey 36 or two for $37 deal you save even more. Usually my books arrive early which is nice.
I looked at DC online, but there books are about $.50 more expensive than Marvel, not a huge savings.

:thumb: Good man. I just wish they offered Guardians of the Galaxy, or Nova instead of the usual X-titles (not that they're bad.)

Foggy's Pal
07-02-2008, 02:41 AM
:thumb: Good man. I just wish they offered Guardians of the Galaxy, or Nova instead of the usual X-titles (not that they're bad.)

I agree on both of those titles, and I would add Avengers: Initiative

Shwicaz
07-02-2008, 03:13 AM
I just noticed that they offer Ghost Rider. Aaron's really been engaging me with his run, so I may make the jump there, too.

Yorick Brown
07-02-2008, 03:15 AM
I use MailOrderComics and I'd estimate it saves me $20-30/month.

cPol
07-02-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to set up a DCBS pull list. :Oops:

sharp1
07-02-2008, 05:33 AM
Have you placed an order with DCBS before? If so, log in, then click the "My Orders" button. This will show all of your orders.

Click on one of the orders. This will show all books in the order, plus a "Pull List" column of entry fields.

Put a number in the "Pull List" entry field next to the titles you want to get every month.

Once you are done, click the "Update Pull List" button. This should add your items to the pull list.

Click on the "My Pull List" button. This should show a list of all of the items you added.

From here, you can now press the "Create Order" button. This should add the issues of the series in your pull list to your cart.

One problem I have occassionally seen was that it added "Buffy #12" instead of "Buffy" so that the next month, it did not pick up the title when I created my order. So you need to kind of monitor the pull list a bit. But other than that, I LOVE the pull list.

At which point are you having an issue?

When I first create my order, I use the pull list. Then I go bargain shopping by looking at their specials. Then I quickly browse the Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, and anything I remember from the solicitations.

cPol
07-02-2008, 05:47 AM

I've never ordered books online before, so the whole process was a bit of a mystery to me. I think you've done a good job explaining for me. I think all I need to do now is to do the grunt work of sifting through the site and setting up that first, initial order.

danlomb
07-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I'd look into it, but frankly I love my LCS and the dudes there. I get 10% off but they usually trim off the excess change on top of that.

Plus for shipping to Aus + having to wait = meh.

Chinaski
07-02-2008, 06:18 AM
I havent checked into a subscription from Marvel since I was a kid and the books used to be mangled folded and bent by the time they got to my house, usually late, and I had ended up buying the book from somewhere else anyway buy that point. I assume they have gotten better, and it looks like some people actually get them a day or so earlier.

I may break down and get some books that way, as long as they come in a comic shop shape.

Generic Poster
07-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Have you placed an order with DCBS before? If so, log in, then click the "My Orders" button. This will show all of your orders.

Click on one of the orders. This will show all books in the order, plus a "Pull List" column of entry fields.

Put a number in the "Pull List" entry field next to the titles you want to get every month.

Once you are done, click the "Update Pull List" button. This should add your items to the pull list.

Click on the "My Pull List" button. This should show a list of all of the items you added.

From here, you can now press the "Create Order" button. This should add the issues of the series in your pull list to your cart.

One problem I have occassionally seen was that it added "Buffy #12" instead of "Buffy" so that the next month, it did not pick up the title when I created my order. So you need to kind of monitor the pull list a bit. But other than that, I LOVE the pull list.

When I first create my order, I use the pull list. Then I go bargain shopping by looking at their specials. Then I quickly browse the Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, and anything I remember from the solicitations.

I have a problem at the "create order" level - nothing ever happens when I push this. However, all the titles in my pull list are "Buffy #12" and not just "Buffy" - so I guess that's my problem?

Generic Poster
07-02-2008, 06:41 AM
I buy about 20 titles a month, + 1 trade, so about $80 in cover price. At the LCS, with 8.5% tax and a 15% discount, this would cost $73.78. The same order costs 53.95 from DCBS (40% discount, no tax, $5.95 shipping).

Shwicaz
01-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Well, I just 're-upped' my Captain America subscription (12 issues for $19.97)/ I also added 2 new titles to my mail order subscription: Daredevil and Thunderbolts. Those 2 titles together cost me $47.94. The total for the 3 titles came to $67.91. Had I bought those 3 titles from my LCS, the total would have been $107.64. I saved $39.73! Had they had 'Dark Avengers' as a sub, I would have picked it up, definately.

ImLactoseIntolerantUJerk
01-24-2009, 07:53 AM
how do the books come when you order them from marvel directly?

Shwicaz
01-24-2009, 07:55 AM
They come wrapped in a thin plastic bag, with a cardboard insert over the cover. Some people don't like this, as the postman bends the books to put into their mailbox. But I have a mail slot on my door, so my comics always come 'flat'. I don't mind if they are a bit bent or wrinkled (happened once in the year I have been ordering), as I just read them and then put them in the magazine rack in the bathroom so visitors can discover the Marvel U while on the shitter. :)

Ultimate Lurker
01-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I was spending $100 a month at my LCS with no trades, bags only. Now I spend about $70 a month on Heroes Corner, get bags and boards, a usually pick up a couple trades, too.

Len Snark
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Mail order saves me the trouble of having to interact with other human beings, which is priceless.

GrimmBen
01-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I order from Mail Order Comics and I probably save between 30% - 35% if I'd bought from one of the local comic ships.

gaspar
01-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I've been ordering from Heroes Corner for three months now. Just an example of one of my orders...this was from December, but is pretty much about how all worked out (didn't want to use the current one because I had an extra coupon that they sent for Christmas, and didn't want to use the first one because I had an extra 5% off for 1st time order).

Subtotal: $37.02
S&H Fee: $9.95 (twice a month)
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total Price: $46.97

HC Savings: $37.30 (off of retail/cover price)

So I saved over half of the cover price, but then tack on the $10 for shipping and it goes back up, but factor in the fact that I don't have to pay 8.25% TX sales tax and that's an extra bit of savings off the shipping ($6.13). Good deal to me!

The only reason the subtotal ends up being around half of the cover price is that most of their discounts are already at 40% and then I end up checking out a lot of the big specials that they run each month at 75% off. I figure why not pick up a comic for a dollar or less and see if it's any good? It's not something I'd normally do just walking into a shop unless I know for sure that it's something that I'm likely to enjoy, but at 75cents, it's hard to pass up if it even remotely sounds interesting!

And the packaging is great! All bagged and boarded for free, shipped in a box, well packaged inside with craft paper buffering so they don't get damaged, etc.

I AM GROOT!
01-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I've ordered my trades/hardcovers through DCBS for about a year while keeping my monthly pull at my LCS. However, next month, I'll have moved everything over to DCBS.

Savings-wise, prior to switching everything over, I was spending about $350-400 per month on singles and trades after the discount I received from my LCS. On singles, I was getting a 20% discount and only 10% on trades. Sales tax here is about 8.25%, so I was probably paying between $30-35 per month on that alone.

With DCBS, I'm getting at least 40% off on the majority of single issues (the Big Two with 35% off most indies), with some up to 75% off for the monthly specials. Trades/hardcovers are usually anywhere from 30-50% off. I also don't have to pay any sales tax, but I did opt for weekly shipping, which is $5.95 plus an additional $11.95, which amounts to $18/month (still less than the sales tax I was paying, as well as the 20-mile drive back and forth each week).

This recent month's list, I calculated I was saving about $100, so I definitely think, for me personally, this is a better way to get my books without necessarily having to drop anything. I think if you're only buying a few books each month, it's probably not worth any of the savings.

half guard
01-24-2009, 09:48 AM
The only things I have subscriptions on are magazines; GQ ($20 / year) and Mens Health ($20 / year). They both have a cover price of between $4 - $5 dollars, so I'm saving over 50%.

Shwicaz
01-24-2009, 09:59 AM
The only things I have subscriptions on are magazines; GQ ($20 / year) and Mens Health ($20 / year). They both have a cover price of between $4 - $5 dollars, so I'm saving over 50%.

Dude, I just got a subscription to time magazine.

I got a one year subscription for 20 bucks. Then they offered to renew my subscription for another year at the same rate....AND give a FREE 'gift subscription' to the person of my choice for 1 year as well.

I save a ridiculous amount (the regular cover price is $4.95 an issue--or $277/year) Multiply that times 2 years = 554 bucks. I paid only 40 bucks for a subscription for those 2 years. ANd I got a free subscription for my friend for a year included, which saved another $277.

Total savings $777 bucks. CRAZY

half guard
01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

I got a one year subscription for 20 bucks. Then they offered to renew my subscription for another year at the same rate....AND give a FREE 'gift subscription' to the person of my choice for 1 year as well.

I save a ridiculous amount (the regular cover price is $4.95 an issue--or $277/year) Multiply that times 2 years = 554 bucks. I paid only 40 bucks for a subscription for those 2 years. ANd I got a free subscription for my friend for a year included, which saved another $277.

Holy shit! That's crazy.

My wife has a couple of subscriptions (Womens Health and some scrap booking / craft magazine) and I think she doesn't pay more than $20 a year for either of them. We're also thinking about getting a subscription to Artists Magazine. Overall, I think we save something around $100 a year.

gooch
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Even after reading all the bad things about Marvel's sub service, I recently signed up for a few books. The ASM deal is too good to pass up. When you factor in the few $3.99 issues they have over the year, you're saving over $60.
I ended up adding 2 more, New Avengers and Cap when I found out NA was jumping to 3.99. Those 2 were a total of $45. I wish I had waited for my 1st issue of ASM to arrive before I ordered the other 2 because the mailer it came with had even better deals. They have a Cap/Hulk/IronMan combo for $50.
I'm going to wait another few months, but I might add 1 or 2 more if everything goes well.

I'm still supporting my LCS. The savings I'm getting from the sub is allowing me to add some of these new books- Dark avengers, Secret Warriors, Spiderwoman, Incognito, on top of the other 10 titles I'm currently buying.

gaspar
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM

My wife and I had been buying magazines off the newsstand regularly...we just wised up and signed up for several subscriptions to save money. I decided on Newsweek instead of Time because that's the one I used to get and I enjoy it. Same basic deal...HUGE discount for a weekly magazine. I think I got 6 months for $10 and then they added another couple of months for $2 more when I got my bill or something like that.

We also subscribed to Wired, a couple of cooking magazines, a couple of her women's magazines, Texas Monthly, and probably some others that I can't remember right off. All of them were either $10 or $20 for a year when normally they are like $4.95+/month! Already a few of them have started trickling in and it's pretty sweet!

PhoenixFactor
01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I get a ton of Marvel books from the subscription service. However, over the last month now everything has been like two weeks late. Have any other subscribers had this problem?

Aside from that I have moved all but 2-3 books a month to DCBS. I'm too busy with work to get to my lcs weekly and the savings is huge. I only am buying dark avengers and Ultimatum or other books where i feel like i would be spoiled if i waited.

mlpeters
01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
There isn't a LCS and I wouldn't be buying enough titles a month for most mail order services to make sense - - buy just a few titles and you'd be paying as much in postage as in books. Subscriptions don't allow the flexibility if you're especially short on cash some months.

I usually just buy tpbs off Amazon, where I can mix other books and DVD into my order to get to $25 and free shipping. If I bought more tpbs, In Stock Trades looks pretty good, with free shipping for over $50. Is there a better deal out there?

Mister Mets
01-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I subscribe to ASM and Fantastic Four, for a total savings of $74, from stuff that's supposed to cost $144.

Aside from that, I don't buy enough new comics to justify preordering.

There are more than enough occasional discounts to get TPBs for good prices.

sharp1
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
For those that subscribe directly from Marvel, when you first started, how long did it take before you got your first issue? Should I expect it to be the next issue of each, or the second issue, or when?

They have a deal for X-Force, X-Factor, and Wolvie Weapon X 12 issues each for $49.97. This is still a pretty good savings even over DCBS. I have the next issue of each ordered from DCBS, and am wondering if I should order the latest month or not.

Thanks for any help.

ManOfMiracles
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I use HeroesCorner and I save about $100 a month and I get everything I want each month, I don't have a pull file because I like to be able to decide each month what books I want. Even though Ultimate Spider-Man is always a no-brainer, I still like the option of selecting it myself, keeps me from becoming lazy and risking the chance of missing something.

Criden
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll be saving $132.32 in May.

ETA: via DCBS.

cmoney
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
DCBS is saving me $98.05 this month.

Big Poot!
03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
However, over the last month now everything has been like two weeks late. Have any other subscribers had this problem?

I have noticed in the last month the delay has taken about 2 weeks. They were on time for a good stretch before this. Maybe lots more people are wising up and subscribing now? For these prices, I don't mind if they're late.

sharp1
03-31-2009, 07:28 AM
For those that subscribe directly from Marvel, when you first started, how long did it take before you got your first issue? Should I expect it to be the next issue of each, or the second issue, or when?

They have a deal for X-Force, X-Factor, and Wolvie Weapon X 12 issues each for $49.97. This is still a pretty good savings even over DCBS. I have the next issue of each ordered from DCBS, and am wondering if I should order the latest month or not.

Thanks for any help.

Marvel is on the ball. I received e-mail confirmation which includes my starting and ending issues. Good job Marvel.