PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers, how hard is it to get a 145 on the MBE?

Bill!
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Should I even shoot for it? I'd like to be able to waive into Minnesota.

Jim T.
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
What's a passing score? Seems to me you can only take it and do the best you can - working "extra hard" to get a higher score doesn't seem possible. Whatever score I got was the best I would have been able to get.

Steve Q
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Should I even shoot for it? I'd like to be able to waive into Minnesota.

According to the Bar/Bri folk, the average MBE score is a 140. I'm sure you could push for the five extra points if you wanted to.

Bill!
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
What's a passing score? Seems to me you can only take it and do the best you can - working "extra hard" to get a higher score doesn't seem possible. Whatever score I got was the best I would have been able to get.

I'm assuming a passing score is well below that. 120 or maybe even lower for a raw score. But in ND, if you get a 145 you can waive into MN. If you reverse it, you need a 150 (probably because MN doesn't use the MEE).

schizorabbit
06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Damn, I don't know. It's multiple choice. How good are you at multiple choice? Are you a good guesser, or are you like me--if I don't know shit, I got with my gut instinct. :) Looking at the subjects as well, and ranking them from personally easiest to hardest, I'd list 'em as follows: criminal law, evidence, torts, constitutional law, real property, and contracts (for some reason, I fuckin' hate contracts). Not sure how much of the MBE is allotted to each topic. How's your confidence level on those subjects.

6 hour multiple choice, huh? Keep us updated, dude. Good luck.

Brad N.
06-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Sweet, Bill. If you can go into Minnesota I know I'll have a good lawyer if I need one. Are you willing to fly a small plane and act as a drug mule by chance? :)

Amos Moses
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Bill, I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Will you take my case?

Sackhead
06-26-2008, 11:13 PM
How is the exam given? I tried to take a Microsoft Certification exam today administered by Prometric. However, Prometric's system was all wonky so now I have to reschedule.

Jason California
06-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Bill, I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Will you take my case?

You should not say that in the public. There is now a confession and you will make it harder for him to do his job.

Bill!
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
So I just took my mock exam. 200 multiple choice over two 3 hour periods.

Got a 131. I guess the average score on the mock exam is 105, and the average raw score on the real exam is 128. So I appear to already be above average. If this was the bar exam, I would have passed. With practice, and an increase of my raw score to meet the scaled 145, I think I might be able to get into Minnesota too!

Jim T.
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
So I just took my mock exam. 200 multiple choice over two 3 hour periods.

Got a 131. I guess the average score on the mock exam is 105, and the average raw score on the real exam is 128. So I appear to already be above average. If this was the bar exam, I would have passed. With practice, and an increase of my raw score to meet the scaled 145, I think I might be able to get into Minnesota too!

Nice. Of course, the real thing is insanely different but it's good to be able to go in knowing you can do it. This self-confidence will be a big boost when the person behind you suddenly screams and then runs out to throw up - and doesn't quite make it out of the room...I can still smell that reek... :wink:

Bill!
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
So apparently its not too difficult. ;)

Passed the ND bar and did well enough to waive into MN. I'm officially an attorney, and a multi state one at that. Yay me!

Jim T.
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM

Passed the ND bar and did well enough to waive into MN. I'm officially an attorney, and a multi state one at that. Yay me!

Hey congrats!! Well done! :)

Thomas Mauer
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Congratulations!

Will you chase ambulances now or are you going to specialize further? :)

Bill!
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Congratulations!

Will you chase ambulances now or are you going to specialize further? :)

I'm doing property title work right now. Pays really well and I think I may stick with it for a while to get my feet under me and pay off loans.

Thomas Mauer
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
What exactly do you do there?

danlomb
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Just a teeny weeny bit harder than 144.

xyzzy
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the fold. Now go bill some hours.