PDA

View Full Version : X-Men in San Francisco question

smm EBob
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
ok this is a completly theoretical question to be taken with a grain of salt.

do you feel that moving the X-Men to San Francisco is perpetuating the mutant/homosexual analogy?

ThisSpaceForRent
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM

do you feel that moving the X-Men to San Francisco is perpetuating the mutant/homosexual analogy?

No.

Gregory
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
It means they're still repairing the Golden Gate Bridge after X-Men 3.

PhilipClark
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
No. But it's still a bad idea.

Maestro
The X-Men are tired of living in the same area full of the same people that always hate them and tired of rebuilding that same damn mansion... I would move too

bartleby
I think it's perpetuating the mutant/Chinese analogy.

BAMF
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Brubaker did comment that the San Francisco choice did have something to do with them being more "open" to different types of people there.

bartleby
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I think Matt Fraction is building up to a X-MEN/FULL HOUSE crossover.

Akira
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Brubaker did comment that the San Francisco choice did have something to do with them being more "open" to different types of people there.

That makes a lot of sence.

*edit* Though maybe Portland would've been a better choice.

Thommy Melanson
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
No, because despite what Fox News shows America, San Francisco is not solely a foam night at a gay dance club.

It's a diverse city with populations of all stripes.

Basing the X-Men in SF is no different than basing them in Manhattan, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Minneapolis or any large major city.

Gregory
06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
It also means we're got a REALLY BAD hippie mutant story.

bartleby
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Basing the X-Men in SF is no different than basing them in Manhattan, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Minneapolis or any large major city.

Yup, every city is exactly the same.

Kedd
06-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Because all gay people flock to San Francisco?

Kedd
06-23-2008, 12:04 PM
No, because despite what Fox News shows America, San Francisco is not solely a foam night at a gay dance club.

I dunno man, I've lost count of the number of foam parties I've been to since moving to the bay area

bartleby
06-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I think the X-Men just really love Uncle Ben's Rice.

Jef UK
06-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Rice-A-Roni is the San Franciso treat.

*removes bartelby from buddy list*

DAVE
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I think it has more to do with perpetuating the mutant/outsider analogy.

Marcdachamp
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM

No, it's Miami now. They're changing their image.

Kedd
06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
No, it's Miami now. They're changing their image.

Really? But the trolley...that's all their known for right?

Slewo.O
06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Haven't Bru and Fraction pretty much said it's because people in San Francisco are really open to different people and that includes Mutants? Plus we also got a hippie story in San Francisco inspired from Bru's early life there as a result of it.

I don't mind the X-Men branching out to other places it's about time we got a big franchise in Marvel in someplace other than New York.

Albert
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

The fact that it's SF is definitely relevant. At WWLA, Fraction called it the most tolerant city in the US and that it made sense for the X-Men to live there. It's a deliberate choice, not just a randomly selected big city.

Slewo.O
06-23-2008, 12:39 PM
The fact that it's SF is definitely relevant. At WWLA, Fraction called it the most tolerant city in the US and that it made sense for the X-Men to live there. It's a deliberate choice, not just a randomly selected big city.

Didn't a certain someone get that answer because he asked if the X-Men's PR was going to get any better? :mistrust:

Queen of the Ban Age
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Then they should probably go visit Aunt May.

bartleby
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Don't blame me. I'm not the one that's moving the X-Men to wrong city.

sonnylarue
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

It's a diverse city with populations of all stripes.Basing the X-Men in SF is no different than basing them in Manhattan, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Minneapolis or any large major city.

i agree with part 1 of your thought. diversity is not only applicable to the gay community... but i do think that SF lets ANYYBODY "wave their freak flag" with less resitance, than most other big cities.

Slewo.O
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
i agree with part 1 of your thought. diversity is not only applicable to the gay community... but i do think that SF lets ANYYBODY "wave their freak flag" with less resitance, than most other big cities.

:lol: Well the X-Men especially the ones with weird physical apperances like Angel and Nightcrawler will be at home there.

Thommy Melanson
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM

That is true (hell, SF tolerated me living there for nearly 2 years) but most major cities are a melting pot of every imaginable type. They all have their "freak" district, and surprisingly accepting populations.

Of course, there are exceptions to that, but by and large it's true.

SF is visually one of the most interesting cities in the country, and will make for some stunning settings.

Seeing Cyclops get spanged by the weekend homeless kids on the Upper Haight, Emma mistaken for a ho when walking around North Beach and Angel incuring the wrath of the sunbathing seals on Fisherman's Wharf when he blocks their sunlight will be awesome! :lol:

PhilipClark
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Clearly you haven't walked around the East Village enough. :-P

And isn't the whole point of the X-men that of being "feared and hated by a world they have sworn to protect?"

Acceptance isn't part of the high concept.

Kedd
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I think the move is good for one main reason: New York is over populated with Marvel heroes. This'll give the X-men a chance to step back out on there own and hopefully re-energize the X books, which have been over shadowed for a couple years now

Patch
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I love SF.

My wife and I honeymooned there.

Whip
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM

And isn't the whole point of the X-men that of being "feared and hated by a world they have sworn to protect?"

Yeah, they shoulda moved to West Virginia!

Patrick J
06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I just like the idea of them being in San Francisco so at least there's some superhero representation on the West Coast. I mean... since the West Coast Avengers there's been Force Works :lol: and then there was The Order, but they're defunct and then there's the Runaways.

There's too many superheroes operating out of NYC.

Thommy Melanson
06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I just like the idea of them being in San Francisco so at least there's some superhero representation on the West Coast. I mean... since the West Coast Avengers there's been Force Works :lol: and then there was The Order, but they're defunct and then there's the Runaways.

There's too many superheroes operating out of NYC.

At least The Great Lakes are safe.

bartleby
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I think they moved out west to look for the gold that's in them hills.

Buk Was Right
06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Really?

Not one "because they have flowers in their hair" comment?

I don't even know you guys anymore.

Raphael J
06-23-2008, 03:20 PM

That's part of the high concept, sure, but it's not all of it. And isn't acceptance what they're working towards?

They preach tolerance and integration, but in the comics they've always isolated themselves. Usually in the Mansion/Institution, but the X-Men have always been a little hypocritical. From what I've heard in interviews and panels, the X-Men look like they're finally going to be doing something besides "protecting those that fear and hate them" and getting involved with the community in San Francisco.

Ryan F
06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Does NYC have anything like the Folsom Street Fair?

I think SF really is especially accepting of weirdness.

Supreme Convoy
06-23-2008, 04:25 PM

I'd totally read that.

bartleby
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM

I'd totally read that.

Spoiler alert: It features a humorous mishap between Wolverine and Joey Gladstone over a misunderstanding of the phrase "Cut. It. Out."

DAVE
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Does NYC have anything like the Folsom Street Fair?

I think SF really is especially accepting of weirdness.

Yes, we call it Chelsea and the West Village, and it's ongoing 24/7/365.