PDA

View Full Version : So. Somebody stole my catalytic converter.

Chris McCarver
06-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I was at my bro-in-law's LCS running the shop's biweekly anime screening, and somebody got under my parked car, sawed the converter off my exhaust pipe and made off with it.

Banner weekend, lemme tell ya.

Thommy Melanson
06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow.

You didn't happen to kick a puppy or something recently did you?

aviolentmist
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
At first I thought this was a "Back to the Future" joke, but then I remembered that there is such a thing as a catalytic converter.

Maxwell
06-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I wish parody threads were allowed. I would have made a "So. Somebody stole my flux capacitor."

Chris McCarver
06-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow.

You didn't happen to kick a puppy or something recently did you?

I *got* a new puppy, ironically enough...

Actually, there's been a rash of thefts of the things due to the value of the metal it's made of.

divinus
06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Actually, there's been a rash of thefts of the things due to the value of the metal it's made of.

I dunno, I just find it really odd someone would be so desperate as to steal something off of the bottom of someone's car, and need a saw to do it with.

There HAS to be an easier way to steal a living...

With that said, this situation obviously sucks, man. Is there any way to track down who did it? Would it have like a serial number or anything?

Thommy Melanson
06-22-2008, 09:52 AM

If its possible from an engineering standpoint, you may to need have a lockbox installed over the replacement.

Pimp My Ride: Security Edition.

William Satterwhite
06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Not to make light of what happened but I used to work in the service department at a car dealership and this reminds me of how many people would call in asking for cadillac converters.

Chris McCarver
06-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I dunno, I just find it really odd someone would be so desperate as to steal something off of the bottom of someone's car, and need a saw to do it with.

With that said, this situation obviously sucks, man. Is there any way to track down who did it? Would it have like a serial number or anything?

Nah, it's pretty much a lost cause. Though my dad's checking with my car insurance to see if we can claim it. And it only took 15 minutes to replace.

And it's apparently not so hard a thing to steal. The mechanic that replaced it said all it takes is a chain-cutter and it'll come off inside of two minutes.

If its possible from an engineering standpoint, you may to need have a lockbox installed over the replacement.

Pimp My Ride: Security Edition.

Fortunately, the likelihood of this happening again is lessened by the fact that they replaced it with a universal converter. The universal ones, while still able to do the job mechanically, are made of materials worth less to thieves, enough to where they'll actually not bother to try once they recognize it as such.

Brian Defferding
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
WTF? That's a weird thing to steal.

the_wallcrawler
06-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I wish parody threads were allowed. I would have made a "So. Somebody stole my flux capacitor."This is exactly why parody threads are not allowed

UltimateQuintessa
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM

I need one and I saw one just sitting there attached to a car that wasn't being attended too. So I took it.

Maxwell
06-22-2008, 11:03 AM
This is exactly why parody threads are not allowed

:rofl:

Kingsumo
06-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow. That sucks man. :(

There is, but you have to consider these are the same types of criminals that try and still copper wire from active power sub-stations

Sackhead
06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
My favorite thieves are the ones who go on the 29 Palms Marine Base to steal spent shell casings from training exercises. I heard a story of a marine who saw a pickup speeding through the desert landscape of the base with a load of casings. The marine ordered them to stop and the pickup veered right into the path of the marine. I know the marine fired at the vehicle, but I can't recall if the thief was hit.

Boris the Blade
06-22-2008, 11:44 AM
At the Go Station (train and bus line in Ontario), where I park when I go downtown, a string of these such thefts have occured. They busted the fuckers in this case, Go Stations are covered in cameras.

But that sucks bro. If they find out who did it, fuck his cat until it dies to teach him a lesson.

Boris the Blade
06-22-2008, 11:44 AM
My favorite thieves are the ones who go on the 29 Palms Marine Base to steal spent shell casings from training exercises. I heard a story of a marine who saw a pickup speeding through the desert landscape of the base with a load of casings. The marine ordered them to stop and the pickup veered right into the path of the marine. I know the marine fired at the vehicle, but I can't recall if the thief was hit.
Do they usually send someone around to pick them up and recycle them?

Boris the Blade
06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah, it's easy to get 500-1000 bucks for one of these things. So they probably steal a ton and sell them for half that on the black market. Sad really. Someone should sut down these black markets. But that would be racism.

Sackhead
06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Do they usually send someone around to pick them up and recycle them?

I believe they do.

Boris the Blade
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I believe they do.
Nice, I like that.

Yeah then, that's definitely stealing.

costello
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM

It's like an environment friendly thief?

Wubbs
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
A lot of them have platinum and/or copper on the inside.
A few days ago, a local school had twenty AC units stolen or vandalized for the copper.