PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the latest "Bad Signal" from Warren..about DCs problems?

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 06:18 AM
It shows why he is one of my favorite creators, with his insight on everything. This one is about all the shit involving DC lately. I'd post it here, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes at all. But here's a snippet;

Interesting thing about Joe
Quesada: he likes to ''win,'' sure,
but he doesn't like it when a big
DC project fails. He thinks it hurts
retailers, and therefore harms
everybody.

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Why not post the whole thing?

mike black
06-17-2008, 06:21 AM
It shows why he is one of my favorite creators, with his insight on everything. This one is about all the shit involving DC lately. I'd post it here, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes at all. But here's a snippet;

He gets kind of pissed when you repost his bad signal stuff. But since it's not up on we.com yet, oh well.

The whole things kind of sad. It might mean a shake up at DC editorial. Up until now, Marvel's been winning since '00 because they've been better. Now we're seeing it might also be because DC is just fucked.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Why not post the whole thing?

Well, I wanted to make sure that it was alright to do so.

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Can you link to Bad Signal or is it an email list thang?

copypastepuke
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
i need to subscribe to that

Gavin
06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
i need to subscribe to that

Yes, yes you do.

mike black
06-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Can you link to Bad Signal or is it an email list thang?

It's subscribe only. It's just a regular mailing list. (http://mailman.flirble.org/mailman/listinfo/badsignal)

Here's the whole thing:

bad signal
ME

What the hell is going on at DC?
I took a break from NO HERO last
night to skim Journalista, and
ended up spending twenty
minutes reading all kinds of crap.

I get on very well with Paul Levitz,
and I like Dan Didio a lot. I don't
really keep an eye on what DC is
up to these days, beyond opening
the occasional comp box and
having a flick through. I knew Dan
was focussing on luring old
readers back, I knew they'd
fucked up some of their big
relaunches, but my god.

Grant has to now go online to
explain that he turned in his FINAL
CRISIS scripts way ahead of time
to define the structure of the
event, but the prequel projects
all ignored the scripts? JG Jones --
who *can* hit deadlines on short
projects with the correct editorial
oversight -- is having to be assisted
by Carlos Pacheco from issue 4
of FINAL CRISIS? DC stalwart
Chuck Dixon kicked out of their
creative stable? And FINAL CRISIS
placing a fairly distant second to
the second issue of SECRET
INVASION?

People like talking shit about Dan
Didio online. The truth is that he's
actually a smart guy who, on
entering the company, had to
make some tough decisions
fairly quickly. It's also true that
some lifers at DC editorial are
very resistant to any kind of
change. Are some of them just
plain nasty and dumb enough to
say, "screw Morrison, we'll do
our own story, and if it blows his
big reveals, well, fuck ím''? I
would hope not, but it does seem
to have happened anyway.

Interesting thing about Joe
Quesada: he likes to ''win,'' sure,
but he doesn't like it when a big
DC project fails. He thinks it hurts
retailers, and therefore harms
everybody.

I've been out of it for too long.
What the hell is going on up
there, people?

---
sent from phone

Now, go subscribe (http://mailman.flirble.org/mailman/listinfo/badsignal).

Bryan H
06-17-2008, 06:32 AM
It's subscribe only. It's just a regular mailing list. (http://mailman.flirble.org/mailman/listinfo/badsignal)

Here's the whole thing:

Done and done.

mike black
06-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Done and done.

I should probably say that he very rarely talks about mainstream comics - and a lot of what he does talk about on a regular basis might seem mundane. But it's worth it for posts like this.

copypastepuke
06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
i like the mundane

Jonathan Callan
06-17-2008, 06:46 AM
He's pulling punches. Blaming the editors here is not fair and Warren should damn well know better.

TheKraken
06-17-2008, 07:09 AM
He's pulling punches. Blaming the editors here is not fair and Warren should damn well know better.

Blaming the guys in charge of making sure all the stories match up is not fair when all the stories don't match up?

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 07:10 AM

I don't understand what this means, especially given the first sentence in relation to the second.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Eh, Bad Signal rarely gets you stuff this good.

Mainly it's drunk Warren at 4 am complaining about beer or women.

bartleby
06-17-2008, 07:19 AM

The guy at the top is always at fault, even when he's not.

augie680
06-17-2008, 07:21 AM

That actually sounds better then this comic book stuff.

Flonk
06-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Yeah. I subscribed for a while, then I realized I was deleting most of them without even reading them.

DAVE
06-17-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't understand what this means, especially given the first sentence in relation to the second.

C'mon Jef, he's going easy on the editors and it's not fair that he's being so tough on them!

Dark Sasha
06-17-2008, 07:36 AM

I like the ones about him working on his garden.

glk
06-17-2008, 07:45 AM

Here's the whole thing:

You twisted my arm. :cool:

Thommy Melanson
06-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I like the ones about him working on his garden.

That'd be a garden of meat-eating venus flytraps guarded by a scarecrow built from a double masectomy torso that has a 50" plasma screen for a head that displays the phrase "Peck the syphilitic bacteria from my red piles, you crow bastards!" in every known language, right?

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 10:35 AM

With a healthy dose of telling what an idiot you are for reading comics.

That's why I eventually dropped it. His open disdain for his audience and the medium got to be pretty off putting to me.

ThisSpaceForRent
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM

That's why I eventually dropped it. His open disdain for his audience and the medium got to be pretty off putting to me.

huh?

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
huh?

Just a lot of bitching about what a hassle it was to drag himself to cons and co-mingle with the filthy masses.

I realize that it's all part of his internet persona schtick, but it just got old with me.

TheKraken
06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Warren Ellis has never called his readers idiots for reading comics in the ten years I've been reading the signal. He has openly railed against shitty comics and insulted the stereotypical-yet-somehow-real con attendees who don't shower, and I don't have a problem with that, but he is far too smart to insult his audience, even if you choose believe he actually hates them.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Dude, no offense, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

He has never called a person an idiot for reading comics. It's that type of newsarama messageboard misinterpretation bullshit that has given him a bad reputation.

What he has expressed was his frustration with how Superhero comics are like 95% of the comics on the shelves. Which he does have a point. He pushes how he'd want a good representation of all genres selling well in comics.

And if he had such open disdain for his audiences and his medium, he would never have had a message board and wouldn't allow himself access to people, he would never had posted on here as much as he did if he held his fans in your perceived disdain.

So, if you are going to insult creators, at least get your facts straight.

Patch
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
We all hate the fans.

But we love you too.

Jason California
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Warren Ellis has never called his readers idiots for reading comics in the ten years I've been reading the signal. He has openly railed against shitty comics and insulted the stereotypical-yet-somehow-real con attendees who don't shower, and I don't have a problem with that, but he is far too smart to insult his audience, even if you choose believe he actually hates them.

He shits on the super hero genre.

He even went so far as to say that The Authority and Planetary were going to be his last gig in the field.

I guess his artistic stuff was not paying enough for his beer and mortgage so he came back to writing things that he does not like.

Oh yeah, I still read and love his stuff.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Dude, no offense, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

He has never called a person an idiot for reading comics. It's that type of newsarama messageboard misinterpretation bullshit that has given him a bad reputation.

What he has expressed was his frustration with how Superhero comics are like 95% of the comics on the shelves. Which he does have a point. He pushes how he'd want a good representation of all genres selling well in comics.

And if he had such open disdain for his audiences and his medium, he would never have had a message board and wouldn't allow himself access to people, he would never had posted on here as much as he did if he held his fans in your perceived disdain.

So, if you are going to insult creators, at least get your facts straight.

Perhaps I should correct what I said. Clearly "disdain for his audience" was too strong a phrase and offended the loyalists. I should say he seems/acts annoyed by his audience at times. Specifically I recall (and can unfortunately not find therefore this is subject to my own admittedly porous memory) a Bad Signal he sent out berating his comic fanbase for pestering him about where and when to find his novel.

If I'd written something and had it published at least partially as a result of success in the comics medium I'd be thrilled if that fanbase wanted to cross over into my new ventures. And I'm sure he was. But as part of his role as crusty comics curmudgeon he took a different tack. I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't think he's an asshole. I just got bored of "the act".

Strokes/folks brother.

I don't think I insulted anyone. I said I got tired of his "schtick" and if you deny that most of his internet persona is a big fat put on then you're the one who should get your facts straight.

I'm a big fan of a lot of his work. I got tired of some of the posturing that came with it so I ejected. Does that offend you? Do you get paid per subscriber he has or something?

I'm not entirely sure what you're objecting to other than the fact that I don't like a guy's act that you do like. But it wouldn't be the internet if we weren't jumping all over each other as a result of our opinions.

Ellis is clearly an incredibly bright guy who understands how the industry works and how to sell and speak to the fans. Not paying attention to his internet persona allowed me to enjoy his work a lot more. Now explain to me what I did wrong.

TheKraken
06-17-2008, 11:59 AM

He even went so far as to say that The Authority and Planetary were going to be his last gig in the field.

I guess his artistic stuff was not paying enough for his beer and mortgage so he came back to writing things that he does not like.

With all his projects outside the comics industry right now, I think implying that he's writing his Marvel output strictly for the money is pretty disingenuous.

As Dave pointed out, he hates that superheroes dominate the industry and his hyperbolic internet persona takes that to the extreme. That doesn't mean he hates the genre. Every one who says he hates superheroes is, intentionally or otherwise, omitting the times he's praised superhero comics he likes. He got his rep for hating superheroes in the late 90s and early 2000s, when the majority of superhero comics did, in fact, suck terribly, yet even then he would bring a good superhero comic to your attention if he read one.

TheKraken
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Now explain to me what I did wrong.

Well, there's this comment:

Which is not true. And then there's the "healthy dose" of back pedaling you've already done since posting it. For starters. :)

Whip
06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm amazed he wrote all that on his phone. I can barely type "Call me back" on mine without wanting to throw it across the room. He's got gusto.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, there's this comment:

Which is not true. And then there's the "healthy dose" of back pedaling you've already done since posting it. For starters. :)

Yeah I got a little ahead of myself and went for the easy one liner which, as usual, was not the most carefully thought out sentiment that I was trying to express.

Part of his gig is that he looks down on us lowly fans from on high. I get that. I got tired of it. "Idiot" may have been too strong of a term.

One million internet apologies for offending the lord and savior mr. ellis.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm amazed he wrote all that on his phone. I can barely type "Call me back" on mine without wanting to throw it across the room. He's got gusto.

I believe he uses a collapsible keyboard in conjunction with a smart phone of some sort.

The tech bits were some of the Bad Signals I enjoyed the most.. although I rarely understood or could afford some of the tech toys he was talking about.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
One million internet apologies for offending the lord and savior mr. ellis.

Dude, all I did and all Kraken did was call you out on being a little insulting towards a comic creator with misrepresented information. You don't need to act like a dick.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Dude, all I did and all Kraken did was call you out on being a little insulting towards a comic creator with misrepresented information. You don't need to act like a dick.

I still don't know what I did that makes me a dick.

I said something stupid and glib. You called me on my stupidity and glibness and I clarified what I meant to say in the first place.

Breathe deep. Everything is ok.

Jason California
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
With all his projects outside the comics industry right now, I think implying that he's writing his Marvel output strictly for the money is pretty disingenuous.

As Dave pointed out, he hates that superheroes dominate the industry and his hyperbolic internet persona takes that to the extreme. That doesn't mean he hates the genre. Every one who says he hates superheroes is, intentionally or otherwise, omitting the times he's praised superhero comics he likes. He got his rep for hating superheroes in the late 90s and early 2000s, when the majority of superhero comics did, in fact, suck terribly, yet even then he would bring a good superhero comic to your attention if he read one.

Fair enough.

He did have some not so hot things to say about the genre. He did say he was done with it. Then he came back. I would like to know why he returned, but have never seen hims speak on it.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM

I said something stupid and glib. You called me on my stupidity and glibness and I clarified what I meant to say in the first place.

Breath deep. Everything is ok.

dude, it's your attitude. Your remarks like " One million internet apologies for offending the lord and savior mr. ellis." is shit which I said that you were acting like a dick. You can get your point across without the snarkyness.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Seriously?

This board is a no snark zone now? That's news to me.

Let me try again.

I apologize if my ill informed and poorly articulated opinion that differs from yours offended you or the fan base of a writer that we both enjoy.

Hugs?

Marcdachamp
06-17-2008, 12:24 PM
We all hate the fans.

But we love you too.

Patrick Zircher??? Holy shit, man, great to see you posting on here! Your work on Cable and Deadpool was fucking magnificent!

Jew Mafia
06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
We all hate the fans.

But we love you too.

Hey Patrick, didn't realize you had joined. Welcome to the board. You did a nice Deadpool sketch for me at wwchi a couple years back, thanks!

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
dude, it's your attitude. Your remarks like " One million internet apologies for offending the lord and savior mr. ellis." is shit which I said that you were acting like a dick. You can get your point across without the snarkyness.

Lighten up.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Lighten up.
Dude, I'm over it, I was over it before I posted my last remark to him. All I was doing was calling him out on some shit that came off sounding like it came from a Newsarama talkbacker. I wasn't even remotely upset about it.

WillieLee
06-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Buk didn't call anyone a dick...

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Buk didn't call anyone a dick...

Not that I'm opposed to the notion in general...

Whip
06-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I believe he uses a collapsible keyboard in conjunction with a smart phone of some sort.

The tech bits were some of the Bad Signals I enjoyed the most.. although I rarely understood or could afford some of the tech toys he was talking about.

How disappointing. :sad:

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
How disappointing. :sad:

You were picturing some sort of bionic laser guided thumbs weren't you?

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

I-Thumbs are way overpriced right now. Wait for the second generation, fer sher.

Whip
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

More like the robotic fingers/thumbs from Ghost in the Shell...

But yes, something along those lines...

And you can't deny how awesome the mental image is.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2008, 12:52 PM
More like the robotic fingers/thumbs from Ghost in the Shell...

But yes, something along those lines...

And you can't deny how awesome the mental image is.

Well I can, but that's probably only because I'm a dick.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
We all hate the fans.

But we love you too.

So wait, Zircher lives in Indiana? Why are we not best friends? I could walk your dog, or get Dave Cummings to walk your dog.

mike black
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Uh. I've never heard him say this.

The only thing I even remotely heard him say was that if Crooked Little Vein (then his "untitled novel",) really took off, he'd probably start phasing out comics work for prose work.

mike black
06-17-2008, 12:57 PM

He's got one of those rubber fold-out keyboards that hooks into his phone. He's kind of insinuated in the past that he gets a lot of work done on it at the pub (prior to London going the way of New York.)

Adrian B AWESOME
06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Wait, Mike Black defending Warren Ellis?

*SHOCK*

mike black
06-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Wait, Mike Black defending Warren Ellis?

*SHOCK*

Let me point the way to four years ago (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=135608&page=905).

Nick MB
06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
He's got one of those rubber fold-out keyboards that hooks into his phone. He's kind of insinuated in the past that he gets a lot of work done on it at the pub (prior to London going the way of New York.)

Ellis doesn't live in London, he lives in Southend, on the south-east towards the coast in the county of Essex. I only know this because I am also from Essex and the news that Warren Ellis lived there made it seem marginally cooler for a minute or two.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm perfectly cool with you reprinting Signals here, don't worry.

The rest of you can suck fiery leprous cocks in hell, of course.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Ellis doesn't live in London, he lives in Southend, on the south-east towards the coast in the county of Essex. I only know this because I am also from Essex and the news that Warren Ellis lived there made it seem marginally cooler for a minute or two.

Also, Helen Mirren's from around here. Apparently, so is Scroobius Pip.

mike black
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM

It's like the fifth time I've made the mistake. I've got the memory of a goldfish.

RickLM
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Omg!!!!

Thommy Melanson
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
... I've got the memory of a goldfish.

And the come-hither eyes of Brian Peppers.

;)

mike black
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM

;)

http://derekaudette.ottawaarts.com/images/forum/BrianPeppers.jpg

I taped a picture of him to the fiancee's head last night. I came like a god.

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
The tech bits were some of the Bad Signals I enjoyed the most...

Was one of them about Google Alerts?

ClintP
06-17-2008, 01:10 PM
subscribed... :scared:

Thommy Melanson
...I taped a picture of him to the fiancee's head last night. I came like a god.

:lol:

Buk Was Right

HA!

warrenellis

;)

DO A BARREL ROLL (http://starpeppers64.ytmnd.com/)

BClayMoore
06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I respect the hell out of Warren Ellis, and admire him even more for having the balls not to just sit back and collect paychecks for writing mainstream properties. He's a huge influence on my own thinking, and I wish more (talented) creators followed his lead.

Having said that, it's worth noting that Warren's perspective here is from the outside looking in, and is speculative as much as anything.

-BCM

Nick MB
It's like the fifth time I've made the mistake. I've got the memory of a goldfish.

My memory's just as bad, it could well have been me correcting you a previous time.

Also, Helen Mirren's from around here. Apparently, so is Scroobius Pip.

Yes, according to the gospel of Wikipedia, Scroobius Pip is from... Stanford-le-Hope. Pretty street. My hometown of Chelmsford did at least apparently bring us Harry Judd, drummer from McFly, though.

warrenellis

Actually, I was just passing through. I haven't quite reaching that level of egomania yet.

Haven't QUITE.

Tyeron
06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
uh oh.. i's subscribed to the bad signal.. and internet jesus is here..
have to look busy in a sexually deviant matter..

(on the other side i hope you get to/want to/have to write Iron Man again Mr. Ellis)

Thommy Melanson
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM

[:beer: (video.aol.com/video-detail/beer-barrel-polka-roll-out-the-barrel/1579469534)]

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
uh oh.. i's subscribed to the bad signal.. and internet jesus is here..
have to look busy in a sexually deviant matter..

(on the other side i hope you get to/want to/have to write Iron Man again)

Nah. Been/done.

Jason California
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Uh. I've never heard him say this.

The only thing I even remotely heard him say was that if Crooked Little Vein (then his "untitled novel",) really took off, he'd probably start phasing out comics work for prose work.

Ok. I still remember reading him say that he was going to stop writing superheroes after Planetary.

He is here now so if I am wrong he can call me on it.

Whip
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM

I can never play Star Fox again. Thanks.

ClintP
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I wonder if Bad Signal will be more frequent and entertaining as KirkSpam.

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I wonder if Bad Signal will be more frequent and entertaining as KirkSpam.

KirkSpam? I am unfamiliar with this. Is this something where Kirk Cameron relentlessly sends you email in an attempt to convert you to Christianity?

Tyeron
Nah. Been/done.

Ohh well, i'll always cherish those extremis moments we had together.

i was curious who your new favorite "cyberpunk" author
( I know some might say the genre is dead but i think Takeshi kovaks would say different)

Jef UK
Ok. I still remember reading him say that he was going to stop writing superheroes after Planetary.

You just figured out why the last issue of Planetary will never come out.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM

I don't even remember. Sometimes I drink quite a lot.

I remember saying that I thought I'd said about all I had to say about the form, and with the way times were changing I was probably going to transition out of the mainstream -- this was an interview with someone, maybe Rich...

And then, as things do, life happened -- Mark and Bendis needed me to fill in on UFF for them, I wrote it as a YA science-fiction thing, Marvel asked me to do more for them, I started thinking of what else there was to say, etc.

But, as I say, my memory's shot. It's still a fraction of my time. But I'm really liking working with Marvel right now.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
You just figured out why the last issue of Planetary will never come out.

Funny, I literally just got an email from Ben Abernathy at Wildstorm to tell me John's broken ground on #27. You heard it here first.

ClintP
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
KirkSpam? I am unfamiliar with this. Is this something where Kirk Cameron relentlessly sends you email in an attempt to convert you to Christianity?

I wish!

Robert Kirkman's email stuff (http://www.kirkmania.com/page/2/). Mainly talking about his addictions to Mario Galaxy.

Cactusakic
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Funny, I literally just got an email from Ben Abernathy at Wildstorm to tell me John's broken ground on #27. You heard it here first.

YOU FUCKIN' DANCER!!!!

:rock::boogie:

Tyeron
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
YOU FUCKIN' DANCER!!!!

:rock::boogie:

hmm is this nomenclature that i don't understand because i don't live in the UK?

Thommy Melanson
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't even remember. Sometimes I drink quite a lot.

I remember saying that I thought I'd said about all I had to say about the form, and with the way times were changing I was probably going to transition out of the mainstream -- this was an interview with someone, maybe Rich...

And then, as things do, life happened -- Mark and Bendis needed me to fill in on UFF for them, I wrote it as a YA science-fiction thing, Marvel asked me to do more for them, I started thinking of what else there was to say, etc.

But, as I say, my memory's shot. It's still a fraction of my time. But I'm really liking working with Marvel right now.

If you haven't seen the new Hulk flick, it looks like they may be following your lead for The Leader in the sequel.

(btw - Thank you for finally pointing out in Ultimate Human that no one could have that large a head and not need a breakneck halo and wheelchair - well, except of course for *insert name of egomaniac celebrity here*)

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Yay!!!

Cactusakic
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM
hmm is this nomenclature that i don't understand because i don't live in the UK?

Sorry.

You Fuckin' Dancer = Yay, I'm very happy about this news.

Apologies. I also drink quite heavily at times.

:surrend:

Nick MB
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
But I'm really liking working with Marvel right now.

The fact that their talent are saying this about Marvel compared to, say, all Chuck Dixon's venting about DC's ruling classes in this week's Lying In The Gutters could be one clue to why Marvel are having a good spell right now, commercially. I mean, your creative people actually enjoying working for you has to be a good start.

(Just to, um, harken back to the original subject of the thread. Sorry.)

Tyeron
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry.

hehe.. No worries.. just curious

DaveCummings
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I wish!

Same here, then I could unleash Kirk Cameron to annoy my enemies...if I actually had any.

Jerome Gibbons
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
This has been an interesting thread.

Flonk
06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Breathe deep. Everything is ok.

buk was WRONG!!!!!!1 :x

Patch
06-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Shit! I missed Warren. I always wanted to tell him how much I hated having Extremis dropped in my lap on Ironman. That and if he had any recs for a really good ale.

Thanks for the props, Mardachamp.
Glad you liked the sketch, Jew Mafia.
And, Adrian, I don't have a dog, but my cat needs it's medicine...

JABSEN
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Funny, I literally just got an email from Ben Abernathy at Wildstorm to tell me John's broken ground on #27. You heard it here first.SWEET!

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Shit! I missed Warren. I always wanted to tell him how much I hated having Extremis dropped in my lap on Ironman.

Um... okay. Is that because someone dropped the hardback at an angle and caught your testicles, or...?

If you ever see the Fraoch heather ale, grab it.

Jerome Gibbons
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Um... okay. Is that because someone dropped the hardback at an angle and caught your testicles, or...?

Heh.

copypastepuke
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
testicles schmecticles

Slewo.O
06-17-2008, 02:24 PM

I enjoyed the insight on how things work at DC, it's nice to see something that points to a problem other than "OMG DiDio is evil".

Also Warren can we ever have that Q and A thread if the stars align or was that a one time thing?

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Also Warren can we ever have that Q and A thread if the stars align or was that a one time thing?

I dimly recall one was attempted here earlier in the year -- it went south pretty quickly.

Slewo.O
06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I dimly recall one was attempted here earlier in the year -- it went south pretty quickly.

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. But if you're up to it can it be done again? I really liked the answers you had to people's questions, and I have a few that are non-comic related I have in my head. But what exactly happened that made it go sour?

Also can't wait to see you at WW Chicago.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. But if you're up to it can it be done again? I really liked the answers you had to people's questions, and I have a few that are non-comic related I have in my head. But what exactly happened that made it go sour?

I don't think anyone was that interested.

Jerome Gibbons
06-17-2008, 03:04 PM
The Warren Ellis Q&A. (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=145736) I thought it was a pretty great thread.

Jef UK
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Why don't you think anyone was that interested?

Patch
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeah, that was it.

The whole gig was frustrating for a variety of reasons, drawing time, working on the follow-up before Extremis was finished, hooking up with Civil War, art disconnects, etc.

Extremis is a fine story (we got Sal, and he was one of the most enjoyable supporting characters I've drawn). And coming right after it, maybe the Knaufs and I should have 'embraced' it more. But that's not easy. You made some big changes in a short run. When an all-new crew comes on, they need more than a heads up. We had decades to get 'sold' on Ironman and 6 issues to get behind yours and Adi's take.

If Extremis had been an MK title, or if you'd have taken it another 6 issues, or even if it had been a new character all together (a lot of it reads like an origin story), you could have really run wild with it, and built it to last. Plugged into the regular title and cross-bred with cross-overs, it's after-effects are lost in the mix.

Anyway, that's all under the bridge, out to sea, cloud vapor, and rain by now. The Fraoch Heather is duly noted.

mike black
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry.

In the US we say "Canada sucks." It's kind of the same thing.

mike black
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

We're like preschoolers here. If you don't dangle something shiney in front of us, we lose interest quickly.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that was it.

The whole gig was frustrating for a variety of reasons, drawing time, working on the follow-up before Extremis was finished, hooking up with Civil War, art disconnects, etc.

Extremis is a fine story (we got Sal, and he was one of the most enjoyable supporting characters I've drawn). And coming right after it, maybe the Knaufs and I should have 'embraced' it more. But that's not easy. You made some big changes in a short run. When an all-new crew comes on, they need more than a heads up. We had decades to get 'sold' on Ironman and 6 issues to get behind yours and Adi's take.

If Extremis had been an MK title, or if you'd have taken it another 6 issues, or even if it had been a new character all together (a lot of it reads like an origin story), you could have really run wild with it, and built it to last. Plugged into the regular title and cross-bred with cross-overs, it's after-effects are lost in the mix.

Anyway, that's all under the bridge, out to sea, cloud vapor, and rain by now. The Fraoch Heather is duly noted.

Okay, please don't take offense, but I really have no idea what any of this is about, and I'm obviously going to have to google some names here. I really don't read a lot of comics.

I will say that the effects of any stint on a WFH book get "lost in the mix," usually sooner rather than later, and I'm okay with that. I go into any WFH project on the understanding that the next writer along could turn everything I did into the hallucinations of a giant space yam or something.

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Why don't you think anyone was that interested?

When, within a few pages, the questions are on the order of "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck had three 12" cocks that shoot red hot acidic cum laced with AIDS?", then no-one's really interested.

bartleby
06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Okay, please don't take offense, but I really have no idea what any of this is about, and I'm obviously going to have to google some names here. I really don't read a lot of comics.

I will say that the effects of any stint on a WFH book get "lost in the mix," usually sooner rather than later, and I'm okay with that. I go into any WFH project on the understanding that the next writer along could turn everything I did into the hallucinations of a giant space yam or something.

Zircher was the artist on IRON MAN following your story arc.

Joe Henderson
06-17-2008, 05:55 PM

And is currently kicking much ass with Fraction on the new Thor mini:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/marvelcomics/thorthunder/THORAGES001_int-7.jpg

warrenellis
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Aha! Yes, that would make sense in context, wouldn't it? God.

UltimateQuintessa
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm a big DC fan and hoping like hell they get their shit together soon. For having a mission statement of having a cohesive universe, it really doesn't seem like one.

Boris the Blade
06-17-2008, 07:04 PM
And is currently kicking much ass with Fraction on the new Thor mini:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/marvelcomics/thorthunder/THORAGES001_int-7.jpg
This kicks his Iron Man stuff in the balls. Holy cow.

Slewo.O
06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
When, within a few pages, the questions are on the order of "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck had three 12" cocks that shoot red hot acidic cum laced with AIDS?", then no-one's really interested.

Well I would've asked more questions but I didn't want to be an annoying prick by asking alot of questions.

Also you mentioned that you don't read alot of comics, what comics if at all do you read regularly? Also points for the giant space yam Warren. ;)

Humphrey_Lee
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
This kicks his Iron Man stuff in the balls. Holy cow.

Check out what he did on the new TERROR INC. mini. Fucking astounding it was. And it read pretty well too!

NeverWanderer
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey, welcome to the board, Patrick! Really dig your work!

Boris the Blade
06-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Check out what he did on the new TERROR INC. mini. Fucking astounding it was. And it read pretty well too!
Hmm, I went "eeennnhhh" until I saw it was you recommending it. I will now give it my consideration.

Humphrey_Lee
06-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Hmm, I went "eeennnhhh" until I saw it was you recommending it. I will now give it my consideration.

I always meant to review it but never did. The story is a near 4 stars, if not just a straight up one, and the art is fucking amazing except some parts where it's a little to heavy on the inks and colors. I'd pick it up if it became an ongoing with the same creative crew.

warrenellis
06-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Also you mentioned that you don't read alot of comics, what comics if at all do you read regularly?

None, really.

Slewo.O
06-18-2008, 02:43 AM
None, really.

Ah I guess we all have our own preferences than. Are there any writers in the industry you keep an eye on or consider a favorite?

And also what novels of yours would you recommend? It's been a while since I've had a good read in that part of literature. And are you just going to be doing signings in Chicago or are you going to have a panel or be in one?

Patch
06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
No biggie not recognizing my name. Writers went through that for years when artists got the lion's share of comic press. Besides, I was hired as an efficient, 'solid', mainstream artist for a long time; I'd 'bend' my work to suit a run. Kind of a comic book 'Zelig'.

But I'm starting to do my own thing now. Thanks for the props and welcome, Humphrey, Joe, and Never.

Slewo.O
06-18-2008, 03:13 AM
No biggie not recognizing my name. Writers went through that for years when artists got the lion's share of comic press. Besides, I was hired as an efficient, 'solid', mainstream artist for a long time; I'd 'bend' my work to suit a run. Kind of a comic book 'Zelig'.

But I'm starting to do my own thing now. Thanks for the props and welcome, Humphrey, Joe, and Never.

Hey Patrick nice to see you're posting on this board too. Just wanted to say I really dug your work on Thor Ages of Thunder. I also saw a really cool cover you did for an old issue of New Warriors but it looks waaaay different from your current work so I can see what you mean by your mainstream artist thing, but it still looked really cool especially the way you drew Nova.

Can we expect to see more of you drawing our favorite god of thunder kill frost giants and bed more women in the future? And also do you have any non-Thor works coming up in the future? Thanks and I wish you the best of luck.

warrenellis
06-18-2008, 03:13 AM
No biggie not recognizing my name. Writers went through that for years when artists got the lion's share of comic press.

Oh, I don't recognise the name of anyone who's come up in mainstream comics. I don't read 'em, and I don't pay attention to who follows me on a WFH book. If you'd put a gun to my head and asked me who was drawing IRON MAN a month after I left I couldn't tell you. Sorry.

warrenellis
06-18-2008, 03:15 AM
And also what novels of yours would you recommend? It's been a while since I've had a good read in that part of literature. And are you just going to be doing signings in Chicago or are you going to have a panel or be in one?

Can't just recommend a novel like that. It's a big field, and I'd have to know what you liked.

I'm doing signings at Chicago, and also an evening talk. (http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=6047)

Slewo.O
06-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Can't just recommend a novel like that. It's a big field, and I'd have to know what you liked.

I'm doing signings at Chicago, and also an evening talk. (http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=6047)

Well do you have a favorite or anything like that? It works for me, but as for my favorite genres those tend to be fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy every now and then. Hopefully that helps.

And also I just checked the link you provided and that sounds like fun, so I'm there.

Thanks.

Patch
06-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Can we expect to see more of you drawing our favorite god of thunder kill frost giants and bed more women in the future? And also do you have any non-Thor works coming up in the future?

Just recently started a third Thor special with Matt Fraction. Working out details of the next project with writers and editors now (they say I need to get over my penchant for obscure characters, I say the world needs Skull the Slayer).
I'm not going anywhere soon, signed a long exclusive, and will be putting books out for some time. Since inking my own work, I'm very excited about drawing again.

Patch
06-18-2008, 03:52 AM
my favorite genres those tend to be fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy

Have you read the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell? Historic fiction about an englishman raised by Viking raiders during the 9th century. Really kept me 'in the zone' while drawing Thor.
It's great, straight-ahead storytelling.
If you want something 'hip' that isn't full of shit, try Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem. A post-apocalyptic pissing contest between psychic mutants.

Slewo.O
06-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Have you read the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell? Historic fiction about an englishman raised by Viking raiders during the 9th century. Really kept me 'in the zone' while drawing Thor.
It's great, straight-ahead storytelling.
If you want something 'hip' that isn't full of shit, try Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem. A post-apocalyptic pissing contest between psychic mutants.

Alright I'll give those a try and the latter sounds pretty funny in concept. Thanks Patrick.

Humphrey_Lee
06-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Not a prob. I've been a fan for a bit, pretty much since Cable/Deadpool. Been trying to find you at cons for an age to get something in my sketchbook but apparently you're of an elusive sort. :)

TERROR INC. was the goods though, such a leap from the previous stuff methinks.

juampi
06-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I loved Patrick since I first saw his art on Thunderbolts.

He has come a long way since then...he's much better now...

Jef UK
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM

:D

You see what I did there?

warrenellis
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
:D

You see what I did there?

Buried a thread? Saved me some work?

Jef UK
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Buried a thread? Saved me some work?

Have you seen what your old pal Pete Wisdom is up to in the new Captain Britain series? You killed him back in X-Force, right? Weren't you sort of an editor for that whole line of books for a year? I remember actually reading "X-Man"!

John Drake
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Were you doing that in C&D, or was that your own thing too?

Joe Henderson
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Patrick, if you're still floating around, I'm really curious--what made you decide to change your art style? Or don't you feel like you did? Because seeing those first pages of Terror Inc. was like (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way) seeing an artist really find his voice, and your Thor work feels like a progression of that. Any insight into how that took place, or do you disagree?

warrenellis
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Have you seen what your old pal Pete Wisdom is up to in the new Captain Britain series? You killed him back in X-Force, right?

I think I did. Who remembers? And, no, I haven't seen a book with Pete Wisdom in for years. (Aside from that Ultimate thing I wrote recently.)

Weren't you sort of an editor for that whole line of books for a year? I remember actually reading "X-Man"!

I was supposed to be. Didn't quite work out like that.

Patch
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Warning: I do go on about my bad self for awhile on this post. If you think it's self-aggrandizing, you're probably right.

Originally Posted by John Drake
Were you doing that in C&D, or was that your own thing too?
I was brought on in the middle of the first arc of Cable Deadpool. There was actually some hesitation about assigning the gig. I'd just finished a short run on Nightwing that Devin Grayson had written, a dark storyline. Fabe and Tom weren't sure if I could do humor.
But the humor on C&D is a kind of bouncy superhero fare. Not really a huge change. Initially, I just made the book 'cohesive', the arc consistent, mostly to allieviate their concerns.
For the longest time, that's how I thought work should be. Character before art. But comic fans aren't just fans anymore. A lot of them are aficionados who want to see an artist's stamp on things, a style and interpretation.
Anyway, I started having fun. Fabe and I were coming up with jokes together. The material was humorous, exaggerated, kind of an amerimanga. It grew into it's own thing. It's not like Thor or Terror Inc. That pseudo-realistic tone doesn't fit Deadpool (at least, I don't think so).

It was a good gig. I still like all those gonzo double-page splashes with Deadpool upside down batting away at a bazillion bad guys.

Originally Posted by Joe Henderson
what made you decide to change your art style? Or don't you feel like you did? Because seeing those first pages of Terror Inc. was like (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way) seeing an artist really find his voice, and your Thor work feels like a progression of that. Any insight into how that took place, or do you disagree?
It's a style change. No, actually, it's a correction.

C&D was a two year gig, followed by 8 issues on Ironman. Editorially, I was thought of as a fast, mainstream artist. Marvel even promoted Ironman as back on schedule, under faster production. It was inked and colored the same way. Well, that just warms the heart of an artist. Sure, the other guy was good, but now we've got a fast guy on the book. All the while, I'm dying for more control, to make better books. I left Ironman largely because of plans to take the pencils even further in an 'old-school' direction.

But the idea of making better books was just that, an idea. I hadn't shown Marvel what the hell I was talking about. After IM, I was offered several superhero assignments, nothing that different from what I'd done before. It was either get back on the old horse or prove I could ride a new one.
Then Warren Simons made the near perfect suggestion of Terror Inc. It was really different material, a dark MAX gorefest with a wicked sense of humor. With Dave Lapham on writing chores.
I agreed to a low, 'prove it' inking rate and started working.
I've worked with some talented inkers but none that were pencillers in their own right-- and the one time I did work with an inker who could draw, he felt compelled to redraw a lot of stuff. Pretty much, everything before Terror is either early work where Im grappling with fundamentals or half-buried, diffused versions of what I was reaching for.

Inking is like a second chance. A chance to redraw, tweak, refine, and enhance everything. I had some clumsy moments in Terror Inc. where I was stumbling with the line width to print ratio. But the end result still made me a hell of a lot happier. It made Marvel happier. The book, if I do say so, kicks ass.

And I'm still learning, which in itself, is exciting.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Warning: I do go on about my bad self for awhile on this post. If you think it's self-aggrandizing, you're probably right.

I was brought on in the middle of the first arc of Cable Deadpool. There was actually some hesitation about assigning the gig. I'd just finished a short run on Nightwing that Devin Grayson had written, a dark storyline. Fabe and Tom weren't sure if I could do humor.
But the humor on C&D is a kind of bouncy superhero fare. Not really a huge change. Initially, I just made the book 'cohesive', the arc consistent, mostly to allieviate their concerns.
For the longest time, that's how I thought work should be. Character before art. But comic fans aren't just fans anymore. A lot of them are aficionados who want to see an artist's stamp on things, a style and interpretation.
Anyway, I started having fun. Fabe and I were coming up with jokes together. The material was humorous, exaggerated, kind of an amerimanga. It grew into it's own thing. It's not like Thor or Terror Inc. That pseudo-realistic tone doesn't fit Deadpool (at least, I don't think so).

It was a good gig. I still like all those gonzo double-page splashes with Deadpool upside down batting away at a bazillion bad guys.

C&D was a two year gig, followed by 8 issues on Ironman. Editorially, I was thought of as a fast, mainstream artist. Marvel even promoted Ironman as back on schedule, under faster production. It was inked and colored the same way. Well, that just warms the heart of an artist. Sure, the other guy was good, but now we've got a fast guy on the book. All the while, I'm dying for more control, to make better books. I left Ironman largely because of plans to take the pencils even further in an 'old-school' direction.

But the idea of making better books was just that, an idea. I hadn't shown Marvel what the hell I was talking about. After IM, I was offered several superhero assignments, nothing that different from what I'd done before. It was either get back on the old horse or prove I could ride a new one.
Then Warren Simons made the near perfect suggestion of Terror Inc. It was really different material, a dark MAX gorefest with a wicked sense of humor. With Dave Lapham on writing chores.
I've worked with some talented inkers but none that were pencillers in their own right-- and the one time I did work with an inker who could draw, he felt compelled to redraw a lot of stuff. Pretty much, everything before Terror is either early work where Im grappling with fundamentals or half-buried, diffused versions of what I was reaching for.

Inking is like a second chance. A chance to redraw, tweak, refine, and enhance everything. I had some clumsy moments in Terror Inc. where I was stumbling with the line width to print ratio. But the end result still made me a hell of a lot happier. It made Marvel happier. The book, if I do say so, kicks ass.

Fascinating stuff, Patrick.

As I never read C & D, my first look at your stuff was the 8 issue stint of Iron Man (7-14 for those who don't know) and I thought while it was solid, it was just sort of there. I still like the art a lot, and there are a couple of really great panels in the book, but it just wasn't super memorable.

I remember reading the original announcement that you were working with Lapham (who I love) on Terror, Inc. and thought that it would be cool, but instead, we got something so much more. You can see remnent of your older style in there, but really, it's nearly a complete overhaul. It's sad that many people will overlook Terror, Inc. as a "violent C-lister" and miss out on a really great book.

Don't even get me started on Thor. The art in both sections is utterly fantastic.

Patch
06-18-2008, 07:47 PM
It's sad that many people will overlook Terror, Inc. as a "violent C-lister" and miss out on a really great book.

Thanks Adrian.
The whole A-list, B-list, C-list thing makes a lot of guys pull their hair out. A lot of writers and artists love the lesser known characters but the perception that stories involving those characters are automatically inferior, that quality only pertains to the A-list, often keeps both talent and editorial from committing to their stories.

TheKraken
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm really looking forward to that Thor book, Patrick. The previews art is beautiful and Matt Fraction is tops.

Joe Henderson
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Great insight man--thanks for the candor, it's really interesting to get a behind the scenes look at that sort of thing.