PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen in every election cycle?

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Why do people just make random shit up about candidates and fire off e-mails just as fast as they can?

Forgive me in advance for not mentioning e-mail smears against Republicans. Strangely, I've been left off that mailing list.

In 1996: The Clintons killed a bunch of people. :rolleyes:

In 2000: Gore said he invented the internet. This shit still gets reported as gospel today, despite REPEATED debunking. Al Gore said that he "took the initiative" in creating the Internet. Which he did-he was on a Senate committee where most of the key legislation for the internet's development was authored.

In 2004: John Kerry's war record was inflated.

In 2008: Barack Obama is a Muslim
Barack Obama is a Muslim according to Koranic law (FYI, this has been debunked by several imams.)
Barack Obama said various things in his books about standing with Muslims and hating white people. (Strangely, no page numbers are cited and the quotes don't actually exist.)

etc etc etc

Sheesh.

There's plenty of reasons to not like the Clintons. There's plenty of reasons to not like John Kerry. There's plenty of reasons to not like Barack Obama (though I think everyone should vote for him anyhow ;)) Why can't people just let policy and facts stand on their own without embellishing?

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
OBAMA'S A MUSLIM?!?!?!

Really? *shooting e-mail to all my friends now.

Gunter
06-15-2008, 07:50 PM
People just like to make shit up.

Ben
06-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I never received any of these emails. Guess I have smarter friends than you!

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 07:51 PM
People just like to make shit up.

Is that your scientific explanation? People = BS Squared

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Mostly because smear campains are much easier to deal with. Do as much damage as you can, and then if/when you get called on it, just quietly apologize.

In most cases people don't believe the facts by themself will be damaging enough to discredit the person they do not like, and it's much easier to say that Obama kills pupplies while McCain saves groups of school kids and orphans.

Plus people are much more likely to listen to sound bytes and not bother with actual research. It's pretty much what keeps fox news and CNN going these days.

dEnny!

Or you don't have any friends. :D

Maestro
Gore inventing the internet would be a good thing right? People should be thanking him

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm always the guy who responds to these garbage forwards with the link that disputes the ludicrous claims.

But it is true about the Clintons. :scared:

Gunter
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Is that your scientific explanation? People = BS Squared

I came to this conclusion after years of study.

And it's cubed, not squared.

Jerome Gibbons
06-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I really like the Barrack Obama is a Muslim thing. It's prejudiced and discriminatory in a very old fashioned way.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Gore inventing the internet would be a good thing right? People should be thanking him

It is. However, out of context it made it look like he was just boasting to get publicity.

Fake Pat
06-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Because the GOP can't win based on facts.

Gunter
06-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm always the guy who responds to these garbage forwards with the link that disputes the ludicrous claims.

But it is true about the Clintons. :scared:

I lost a friend over stuff like that.

He kept sending me crap, and I kept sending him the truth. At one point he said he didn't have time to check the truth, so I told him I'd do it for him. Then I hit reply to all, and sent the truth to everyone he sent the lie to.

I never heard from him again.

Brad N.
06-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Beacause people are ignorant and in Obama's case racist. People who don't think good old fashioned lynch mob racism is alive and well in 2008 haven't been paying attention (or watching Fox News) and should look closer these next few months.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I lost a friend over stuff like that.

He kept sending me crap, and I kept sending him the truth. At one point he said he didn't have time to check the truth, so I told him I'd do it for him. Then I hit reply to all, and sent the truth to everyone he sent the lie to.

I never heard from him again.

That really seems for the best.

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Because the GOP can't win based on facts.

But we win! OH SNAP!

Gunter
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
That really seems for the best.

It was.

Fake Pat
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
But we win! OH SNAP!

You should be proud of yourselves.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Will you be my friend?

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
It was.

People like that remind of the whole "If you loan a person 20 bucks and never hear from them again, it was probably worth the 20 bucks" parable.

I do the same replying with links to the truth, on those e-mails. I still hear from the people, just not on anything political. Which is nice.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, I forgot the new ones:

Barack Obama is not a natural-born US Citizen because his father held Kenyan citizenship (a quick read of the Constitution debunks that.)

Barack Obama can't produce his birth certificate (a copy is posted on his website, in fact.)

Gunter
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
People like that remind of the whole "If you loan a person 20 bucks and never hear from them again, it was probably worth the 20 bucks" parable.

I do the same replying with links to the truth, on those e-mails. I still hear from the people, just not on anything political. Which is nice.

Funny thing was that I hadn't really talked to him in years. He got my email from a mutual friend, and insead of a "hey you ya doin'?" type email I just got propaganda from him.

Ben
06-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Barack Obama is not a natural-born US Citizen because his father held Kenyan citizenship (a quick read of the Constitution debunks that.)

There was a similar myth about McCain.

dEnny!

Barack Obama can't produce his birth certificate (a copy is posted on his website, in fact.)

Isn't it sad he had to post a copy on his website.

Jerome Gibbons

Jesus, as I was reading that, before I got all the way through my mind finished it as "Barack Obama can't produce semen".

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Funny thing was that I hadn't really talked to him in years. He got my email from a mutual friend, and insead of a "hey you ya doin'?" type email I just got propaganda from him.

Wow. Hell of a way to get back in touch with someone.

Kingsumo
Jesus, as I was reading that, before I got all the way through my mind finished it as "Barack Obama can't produce semen".

Well shit. Now that will probably be the next round of slander

Ben
But we win! OH SNAP!Yeah, look what you won --> :Poo:

Icaruss
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I think that it's to stop people from voting for them. I could be wrong.

Servo106
06-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Wait Obama hates white people? All of them?

And the Clintons didn't kill a bunch of people? I could of sworn I saw Chelsea execute a man gangland style once.

NickT
Because the GOP can't win based on facts.Some of the circulated Bushisms weren't true, the circulated Presidential IQs weren't true, the Nostradamus quote about Bush wasn't true. Is that because the Democrats can't win based on facts either?

Gunter
Wow. Hell of a way to get back in touch with someone.

It could have been worse.

He could have been selling Amway.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
There was a similar myth about McCain.

Well, the McCain deal isn't quite so cut and dried, as he was born outside the United States so there's something of a gray area as to whether he's a natural born citizen or not.

I tend to go with the argument that the 14th states that anyone born or naturalized as a citizen is a citizen, John McCain is a citizen (by act of congress stating anyone born to two US citizens is a citizen) and has never gone through the naturalization process, so must be a natural-born citizen.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Some of the circulated Bushisms weren't true, the circulated Presidential IQs weren't true, the Nostradamus quote about Bush wasn't true. Is that because the Democrats can't win based on facts either?

That is the wonderful thing about slimey tactics. It knows no politcal bounds.

It could have been worse.

He could have been selling Amway.

Say, did I ever tell you about this great timeshare that I have :D

Gunter
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Say, did I ever tell you about this great timeshare that I have :D

Were any of the Clinton's foes killed there?

Ben
06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, the McCain deal isn't quite so cut and dried, as he was born outside the United States so there's something of a gray area as to whether he's a natural born citizen or not.

I tend to go with the argument that the 14th states that anyone born or naturalized as a citizen is a citizen, John McCain is a citizen (by act of congress stating anyone born to two US citizens is a citizen) and has never gone through the naturalization process, so must be a natural-born citizen.Sounds just as "cut and dried" to me.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:10 PM

That depends. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Jerome Gibbons
06-15-2008, 08:10 PM

They were buried there after they were killed.

NickT
06-15-2008, 08:13 PM
That is the wonderful thing about slimey tactics. It knows no politcal bounds.
So true, so true.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds just as "cut and dried" to me.

And to me as well, but I can see where confusion would come in. Considering it was Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma) who started with this whole nonsense it's hard to pin it on Democrats. I think he was trying to tear down McCain vice Huckabee, though.

Anyhow, further research shows that the Congress settled it even more definitively than I posted above, stating emphatically that a child born to two US Citizens overseas was, indeed, a natural-born citizen. They've also passed a resolution recognizing that John McCain specifically is a natural-born citizen. So no debate from this quarter.

Gunter
That depends. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Depends on who it was.

Frozen Sooner
And truly, I wasn't trying to turn this into Democrats vs. Republicans, I just don't seem to be on the mailing lists that smear Republicans. I'm sure those e-mails are out there.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Depends on who it was.

Well, I have it on reliable sources that Hillary may or may not have used the place to strangle all of the delegates that switched sides to obama, while Bill got off with one of the "healthier" maids.

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, look what you won --> :Poo:

I wouldn't consider the Presidency that...

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Some of the circulated Bushisms weren't true, the circulated Presidential IQs weren't true, the Nostradamus quote about Bush wasn't true. Is that because the Democrats can't win based on facts either?

Please ignore that slimy tactics aren't one sided and limited to the GOP. There were just as many incorrect things said about W as there were any of the Democrats.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:21 PM
And truly, I wasn't trying to turn this into Democrats vs. Republicans, I just don't seem to be on the mailing lists that smear Republicans. I'm sure those e-mails are out there.

Please ignore that slimy tactics aren't one sided and limited to the GOP. There were just as many incorrect things said about W as there were any of the Democrats.
:mistrust:

dEnny!
06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
:mistrust:

Just shows your own personal bias only paying attention to the negatives said about your peeps. ;)

Gunter
06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, I have it on reliable sources that Hillary may or may not have used the place to strangle all of the delegates that switched sides to obama, while Bill got off with one of the "healthier" maids.

I'm looking for property containing the remains of someone more infamous.

If Linda Tripp disappears give me a call.

Ben
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't consider the Presidency that...It's more the result of you winning.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Just shows your own personal bias only paying attention to the negatives said about your peeps. ;)

Heh. Quite possibly true. I readily admit I'm biased in politics.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm looking for property containing the remains of someone more infamous.

If Linda Tripp disappears give me a call.

Damn it. :-x

Ben
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Just shows your own personal bias only paying attention to the negatives said about your peeps. ;)I don't know. It's certainly not limited to Democratic candidates, but I don't think you could come up with a similar list of incorrect things that were said and that persisted about GOP candidates.

People still make fun of Gore for the internet thing.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, the Bush-as-idiot meme has persisted. I mean, I don't think the guy is a rocket surgeon, but he had to have SOMETHING on the ball.

Same with the Carter-as-idiot thing, I guess.

Colby
06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, the Bush-as-idiot meme has persisted. I mean, I don't think the guy is a rocket surgeon, but he had to have SOMETHING on the ball.

Sure, but Bush has done plenty to propogate that one himself, y'know?

In fact, I'd say he played it up and benefited from it.

Kingsumo

He does. A lot of really good cabinet members, assorted cronies, and handlers.

Say what you will about his presidency, He has run it pretty much the way he wanted, and I would be willing to bet a lot of his friends made bank in the last 8 years.

Jerome Gibbons

I think the fact that that's a continuous thing has something to do with it. I mean, for example, Al Gore may have said once or twice that he invented the internet (or he said something somewhat sort of similar to that). But Bush has pretty continuously said silly, stupid or malformed things over the last eight years. So it piles up. It's more or less constantly in people's minds. I think that may have something to do with it.

Ben
06-15-2008, 08:32 PM

Same with the Carter-as-idiot thing, I guess.Yeah, the Bush thing is as much his fault as anyone else's.

And I haven't heard anything about Carter being an idiot. Just about him being a bad president. Maybe you're thinking of Quayle?

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Man, I've heard plenty of people call Carter an idiot.

Gunter
06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Man, I've heard plenty of people call Carter an idiot.

I never have.

Ineffectual, yes.

Idiot, no.

His brother was a different matter.

NickT
06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I didn't think you were :)

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 08:57 PM
OK, fair enough.

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
OK, fair enough.

I personally suspect this is all a clever ruse to get yourself on some replican bashing mailing lists. ;-)

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 09:01 PM
FUCKING REPLICANS!!!!
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/replicants_3.jpg

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
:lol: Well, I never claimed that I could spell correctly.

Frozen Sooner
Plus, I'm going to start one.

John SYDNEY McCain is obviously a Jew. WHY IS HE HIDING HIS COMMITMENT TO INTERNATIONAL ZIONISM???????

;)

Frozen Sooner
:lol: Well, I never claimed that I could spell correctly.

Hey, if I can't yell "FUCKING REPLICANTS" at least once a day, I don't feel good, so that worked out well. :D

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Plus, I'm going to start one.

John SYDNEY McCain is obviously a Jew. WHY IS HE HIDING HIS COMMITMENT TO INTERNATIONAL ZIONISM???????

;)

Awesome! Way to take initiative :thumb:

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 09:04 PM
In a couple of weeks, I'll start talking about his obvious commitment to the CRIMINALS in AUSTRALIA!!!

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
In a couple of weeks, I'll start talking about his obvious commitment to the CRIMINALS in AUSTRALIA!!!

You should also mention that he is on the board for several big tobacco companies, and that he likes to market to kids and puppies.

Frozen Sooner
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to stick to stuff that's not true here. ;)

Kingsumo
06-15-2008, 09:07 PM
:lol: touche'