PDA

View Full Version : Could THE HAPPENING actually be worse than I expected?

bartleby
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
It sure sounds like it from this.

http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/2008/06/night_falls_in.html

silverboy
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, saw this coming. That plot should never have been greenlit.

Ray G.
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh, this will be epic. :lol:

Mike_Johnson
06-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Ugh. I'll probably still watch it, because I'll give the man that much...but ugh.

Piechuck
06-11-2008, 05:09 PM
It can't be worse than Lady in the Water. Can it?

bachman
06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
If some guy on some blog says it... it's gotta be true!!!!!

Criden
06-11-2008, 05:13 PM

If some guy on a message board says it... it's gotta be true!!!!!

:crazy:

Supreme Convoy
06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, saw this coming. That plot should never have been greenlit.

Is that suppose to be a joke?

:)

bartleby
06-11-2008, 05:15 PM

So you're saying that one person's opinion of a movie isn't an absolute truth? I don't know how to process this information.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm a fan of Mark Wahlberg as an actor, but I could tell just from the trailer that he's going to be terrible in this movie.

I'm still going to see it, though.

Briomega
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
That's what it's about? Yikes. On second thought...pass.

gaspar
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I read spoilers on it yesterday and I really can't believe what I read. It sounds astoundingly bad. I hope it's not as bad as what I am imagining. It really can't be as bad as what I have pictured in my head, right?!?

Kefky
06-11-2008, 05:22 PM
This should make a wonderful comedy.

Taxman
06-11-2008, 06:58 PM
If some guy on a message board says it... it's gotta be true!!!!!

:crazy:10,000 posts! :rock:

moonspider
06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm a fan of Mark Wahlberg as an actor, but I could tell just from the trailer that he's going to be terrible in this movie.

I'm still going to see it, though.

c'mon c'mon
gonna make you sweat....

such a good vibration......

such a sweet sensation

moonspider
06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
so that's the premise?
um.....what?

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 04:44 AM
The Onion AV Club review (no major spoilers):

M. Night Shyamalan used to have a vast army of fans. Now he has a dwindling network of apologists. The former frightmaster's descent from wunderkind to embarrassment has been unusually dramatic and public, thanks not only to the high-profile failures of The Village and Lady In The Water, but also to such bizarre, backfiring ego-stroking endeavors as The Man Who Heard Voices, Michael Bamberger's fawning, sycophantic account of the making of Lady In The Water, and the self-indulgent faux-documentary The Buried Secret Of M. Night Shyamalan. Shyamalan should be glad he makes movies primarily in Pennsylvania instead of Hollywood, because under California's "three strikes" law, he'd be facing hard time in movie jail thanks to his third consecutive disaster, The Happening.

A miscast Mark Wahlberg stars as a science teacher whose soothing, almost hypnotic vocal patterns seem modeled on the paternal purr of Mr. Rogers. Wahlberg's humdrum existence changes instantly when the denizens of major cities and towns in the Northeast begin inexplicably committing suicide en masse. Wahlberg flees to the countryside with wife Zooey Deschanel to wait out the catastrophe; there, he encounters such colorful characters as a plant-lover obsessed with hot dogs and a mean old spinster who doesn't much cotton to city slickers eyeballing her "lemon drink."

The spectacularly ill-conceived, tension-free The Happening will have audiences on the edge of the their seats, contemplating whether to bail out early or see Shyamalan's latest grab-bag of ineptly executed bad ideas through to the bitter end. The Film confirms that its creator's once vice-like grip on the public imagination and skillful, borderline sadistic manipulation of audience emotions has given way to clammy, flop-sweat-drenched flailing. With its focus on a nuclear family faced with a sinister, enigmatic outside threat, The Happening suggests a remake of Signs with all the dread replaced by great gales of unintentional laughter, most notably during an ostensibly terrifying zoo-animal attack that might just be the funniest scene of the summer. When the underlying cause of the widespread freakery becomes apparent in a twist too idiotic to give away—think The Birds by way of Al Gore—the film devolves even further into unintended camp. Shyamalan still has an abundance of personality and ambition, and there are scattered moments of craft throughout, but the gulf between his lofty aspirations and feeble accomplishments has seldom been wider or more chuckle-inducing.

A.V. Club Rating: D+

So I think opening weekend will be strong because an unsuspecting public will think it's more SIGNS than LADY IN THE WATER, but am I the only on that thinks it's going to see a huge drop off second week due to poisonous word of mouth?

And if this does turn into the third box office strike, how soon before Shyamalan is doing work for hire scripts? I'd also imagine it would affect the budget of AIRBENDER.

Ashwin Pande
06-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Oh man.. now I gotta see this movie! This is going to be awesome feces!

Fourthman
06-13-2008, 05:27 AM
The Onion AV Club review (no major spoilers):

So I think opening weekend will be strong because an unsuspecting public will think it's more SIGNS than LADY IN THE WATER, but am I the only on that thinks it's going to see a huge drop off second week due to poisonous word of mouth?

And if this does turn into the third box office strike, how soon before Shyamalan is doing work for hire scripts? I'd also imagine it would affect the budget of AIRBENDER.

I don't think this will have that strong of an opening weekend. I think poisonous word of mouth has already sabotaged that possibility.

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 05:35 AM
I don't think this will have that strong of an opening weekend. I think poisonous word of mouth has already sabotaged that possibility.

Certainly to people that like to track Hollywood stuff and internet surfers, but average Joe American? I'm not sure if they've heard the bad advanced word.

Hurnslice
06-13-2008, 05:41 AM
It can't be worse than Lady in the Water. Can it?

If it is worse that LitW, it will need a new category for suck.

stevapalooza
06-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I just hope it doesn't ruin the reputation of the wonderful Supremes song of the same name.

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 05:47 AM
At this point, I think Shyamalan would have been better off making a movie version of WHAT'S HAPPENING?

Fourthman
06-13-2008, 05:50 AM
At this point, I think Shyamalan would have been better off making a movie version of WHAT'S HAPPENING?

Cooley High remake!?! Is Apatow available? They could call it SUPERBLACK! And have the black lead wear an ironic Carlin shirt!

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Cooley High remake!?! Is Apatow available? They could call it SUPERBLACK! And have the black lead wear an ironic Carlin shirt!

Now that I would buy a ticket for.

Garth
06-13-2008, 05:58 AM
If it is worse that LitW, it will need a new category for suck.

A good friend of mine and I were having drinks. I generally agree with about 95% of his taste in movies. I was shocked the other day when he told me how much he LOVED LitW. Now I don't know what to think.

Sy-Klone
06-13-2008, 05:59 AM

What about the big twist ending? The entire movie, Rerun's incarceration, the FBI pursuit of Heywood Nelson...maybe it was all a daydream by Shirley Hemphill while she was on a break from her job as a waitress! :eek:

(It's been ages since I could work a good Shirley Hemphill reference into conversation.)

bartleby
06-13-2008, 06:00 AM
So I think opening weekend will be strong because an unsuspecting public will think it's more SIGNS than LADY IN THE WATER

You're not just dealing with backlash from LADY IN THE WATER. Most people were already skeptical of him after THE VILLAGE. THE HAPPENING is really a movie that needed a lot of great (or at least good) reviews to give it a strong opening weekend.

I'll be surprised if it makes more than $20 million this weekend, particularly if HULK opens big.

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 06:03 AM
What about the big twist ending? The entire movie, Rerun's incarceration, the FBI pursuit of Heywood Nelson...maybe it was all a daydream by Shirley Hemphill while she was on a break from her job as a waitress! :eek:

(It's been ages since I could work a good Shirley Hemphill reference into conversation.)

I think the big twist should somehow involve the Doobie Brothers.

MIKE D
06-13-2008, 06:05 AM
You're not just dealing with backlash from LADY IN THE WATER. Most people were already skeptical of him after THE VILLAGE. THE HAPPENING is really a movie that needed a lot of great (or at least good) reviews to give it a strong opening weekend.

I'll be surprised if it makes more than $20 million this weekend, particularly if HULK opens big.

Under 20 mill would be an epic flop.

Hurnslice
06-13-2008, 06:05 AM
A good friend of mine and I were having drinks. I generally agree with about 95% of his taste in movies. I was shocked the other day when he told me how much he LOVED LitW. Now I don't know what to think.

I don't know what to do about that. I had a major crush on a girl until she told me her favorite movie was Grease 2.

I said, "Really? Grease 2? You're favorite?"

All attractiveness went out the window.

bartleby
06-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Under 20 mill would be an epic flop.

Not really. I think pretty much everybody, including the studio, have resigned themselves to the idea that this movie isn't going to open. And it's got a modest budget, so they don't even really risk going in the tank if it opens at about $15 million. But if it does open well bellow $20 million and is as poorly received by the audience as is being received by the critics, I think Shyamalan is pretty much done.

Cth
06-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Nah, a Chubby Checker biopic.

Fourthman
06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I think MNS should consider adapting King's From A Buick 8. It's a book written for Night's (rapidly diminishing) sensibilities, right down to the PA setting. And that there's a central question with a non twist ending might just redeem him.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Worse that you expected or worse than what "Hollywood insiders" expected and therefor you expected?

Fourthman
06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Worse that you expected or worse than what "Hollywood insiders" expected and therefore you expected?

:lol:

bachman
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Mr Bartleby, do you work in the movie industry? Or do you just... like movies a lot?

I'm not being sarcastc, I'm genuinely curious, because of all your movie posts.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I was kind of hoping this would be good, but there goes that hope.

schizorabbit
06-13-2008, 07:01 AM
I was kind of hoping this would be good, but there goes that hope.

The Hopening.

Patton
06-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Mr Bartleby, do you work in the movie industry? Or do you just... like movies a lot?

I'm not being sarcastc, I'm genuinely curious, because of all your movie posts.

I can field this as I've seen him answer it many times.

He used to manage a movie theater. While he worked there he wrote spec scripts in his spare time. He would often sit in the back of the theaters and comment on whether or not the movie had made enough box office to warrant a sequel. But all his hard work paid of when a young Robert Altman wrote and directed this movie about him:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230025/

Garth
06-13-2008, 07:18 AM
I don't know what to do about that. I had a major crush on a girl until she told me her favorite movie was Grease 2.

Yup, I dated a chick for years whose favorite movie and trilogy was the Austin Powers trilogy...needless to say, it didn't end well.

bachman
06-13-2008, 07:48 AM
I can field this as I've seen him answer it many times.

He used to manage a movie theater. While he worked there he wrote spec scripts in his spare time. He would often sit in the back of the theaters and comment on whether or not the movie had made enough box office to warrant a sequel/tt0230025/[/url]

Oh.

Hurnslice
06-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Yup, I dated a chick for years whose favorite movie and trilogy was the Austin Powers trilogy...needless to say, it didn't end well.

And yet you dated her for years. You're a stronger man than I.

Or have a much stronger threshold for pain. :)

(I actually kinda dig AP which certainly puts some boundries on our relationship :mistrust:)

TheKraken
06-13-2008, 07:56 AM
A bunch of people I know went to see either this or Hulk last night. Everyone who watched The Happening hated it.

Chinaski
06-13-2008, 08:34 AM

Hey - I love Grease part 2.

Its not my favorite movie, by any stretch, but there is something about that movie that I just love.

Is this girl you speak of attractive by conventional defination?

bartleby
06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Worse that you expected or worse than what "Hollywood insiders" expected and therefor you expected?

Since UNBREAKABLE, his movies have gotten progressively worse. And the trailers for this just looked terrible. I didn't need anyone to tell me what to expect.

silverboy
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Predicting $15-20m.

Rosemary's Baby
06-13-2008, 09:33 AM
A review from Capone from AICN. It's a good read. I don't think I'll be seeing it.

Hey folks. Capone in Chicago here with a stern warning for every one of you. If you buy a ticket to this film, the ass kicking you receive both during and after the movie will be your own damn fault and will probably be self-delivered.

"Is this movie actually being released?" Those were my first words when the lights came up after seeing M. Night Shyamalan's latest, THE HAPPENING. And the question was in no way rhetorical. I truly could not conceive of a world where anyone would allow a film this poorly made to be released. I know that Shyamalan is everybody's favorite punching bag of late; the writer-director had the misfortune of having his first three films (THE SIXTH SENSE; UNBREAKABLE; SIGNS) be very popular and varying degrees of great. How dare he. And while I'm far from a Shyamalan apologist (I liked THE VILLAGE; I tried and failed to appreciate LADY IN THE WATER), I think the man has talent. That being said, the man who made THE HAPPENING is a stranger to me. There's no way this can be the same guy who skillfully creeped me out time and time again with his work. I am truly and without exaggeration baffled by THE HAPPENING in ways that I'll attempt to explain, but I may simply fall forward from exhaustion trying.

The only thing I'd really heard about the flaws in THE HAPPENING before I saw it was that Mark Wahlberg's performance was bad on a legendary scale. And while I question his high-pitched line delivery in a few spots in this movie, Wahlberg fans can rejoice in knowing that it isn't their hero who kills this movie. Nearly every performance is terrible, and I'm a bit shocked that even the always-reliable Zooey Deschanel is acting like she's been struck by a car before the cameras began to roll. One guy I always look forward to seeing, John Leguizamo, has clearly been slipped some sort of tranquilizer. There isn't a single decent performance in the entire film, except may be that of Betty Buckley as an old woman living in home cut off from the rest of the world. Her acting is so off-the-charts gothic that I had to stifle my giggles the entire time she's on the screen.

Mark and Zooey play couple Elliot and Alma Moore, who are going through a rough patch in their still-new marriage. Elliot is a high school science teacher, which comes in handy when he tries to figure out why everyone in the northeastern corner of America is killing themselves, especially those in highly populated areas like New York, Boston and Philadelphia. The opening sequences of random citizens suddenly freezing in their tracks and then finding the quickest way to kill themselves are a bit startling at first, but quickly degenerate into silly. The guy who feeds his own arms to zoo lions was my personal favorite. Leguizamo's daughter Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez) has been left with the Moores while John goes to look for his missing wife, and they attempt to stay away from the places where these mass suicides are occurring. At first, the media blames the happening on a terrorist attack, but it becomes clear that the problem is spreading too quickly and covering too much ground to be anything other than a natural phenomenon.

The thing that struck me first about the screenplay was how much of it is dedicated to conversations and exposition that do nothing to further the plot or develop the characters. Why is it important that we know about Elliot's marriage troubles? Why do we care whether Leguizamo finds his wife? Why does everyone seem to latch onto one theory about what is killing people without question or other options? Why is Wahlberg talking to a plastic tree? Who is supposed to give a flying fig about a mood ring? The world could potentially be ending, and these idiots just want to fight about how and when they fight. Answer me this, does a film in which the heroes spend the entire film running away from wind sound thrilling? You have no idea.

THE HAPPENING falls apart little by little over the course of its running time, and the fact that the film is being promoted heavily as being Shyamalan's first R-rated movie means absolutely nothing. The rating should be altered to fit the film's profile a little better. Anyone bringing their underage child to this movie should be arrested and charged with 100 different types of child endangerment. Youngsters shouldn't be punished for watching the film; they don't know any better. It's the adults who need a good slap for seeing this dreadful experiment gone wrong. Around the world, critics will be preparing their "Worst of 2008" lists a little early this year. This is the film by which other bad movies will set their standard by. In the not-too-distant future, this is a film that college students will rent, get drunk watching and spend the film's blessedly short 90 minutes mocking it without mercy.

I was never bored watching THE HAPPENING. I was absolutely locked onto what was going on in this film--ever curious what ridiculous, nonsensical plot turn or awful line delivery was up next. It literally feels like the story was made up as it went along, but what's worse is that it lacks the confidence the director has shown us in every other film he's made. It's like he's lost his nerve. So many different drinking games could be born from the dopey shit that goes on in this movie. I mentioned Betty Buckley's off-the-wall performance as "Mrs. Jones," the woman who is completely unaware of the goings on in the rest of the world. In a lot of ways I envied her while watching The Happening. If I lived her life, I would never have known the pain of enduring this half-baked concoction, which may be Shyamalan's treatise about the environment, global warming, loving one another or respecting nature. My guess is that he was aimed for some combination of all of these. Unfortunately, the finished film feels more like the sloppy, chunky afterbirth of a message film from a man who used to impress me as a filmmaker. I truly hope this is as bad as it ever gets from Shyamalan. This is the kind of movie that kills careers; it certain murdered my spirit for most of a day. It's almost worth seeing just to see how poorly executed every aspect of the work is, but even I'm not that much of a sadist to say that's a reason to watch any movie. I'm done.

Capone

Brad N.
06-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Since UNBREAKABLE, his movies have gotten progressively worse. And the trailers for this just looked terrible. I didn't need anyone to tell me what to expect.

While we disagree on movies from time to time you're spot on here. I enjoyed Sixth Sense for what it was and I actually own and enjoy Unbreakable. Could have been better, but it was fine. Signs was awful and The Village was the last time I ever plunked down money to watch his self-indulgent bullshit on screen. This movie sounds worse than anything else he's done to date and I hope this will at the very least convince him to take a break for a while.

JMP
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, looks like I'll be renting this like I did for his past two movies.

schizorabbit
06-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Its not my favorite movie, by any stretch, but there is something about that movie that I just love.

For me, two words: Michelle Pfeiffer. I was a little kid who just discovered the joys of masturbation. Add that to cable TV, and you got gold. ;)

Hurnslice
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Actually, the last time I saw her, she had increased her density in a non-pleasing sort of way.

I'd say it musta been the grease, but I don't go for easy shots like that.

And currently, I believe, she's in Canada. BC awaits! She's all yours.

Fourthman
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM
For me, two words: Michelle Pfeiffer. I was a little kid who just discovered the joys of masturbation. Add that to cable TV, and you got gold. ;)

For me; Adrian Zmed. Same reason.

Ashton
06-13-2008, 10:36 AM
After all of the negative reviews I'm going to rent this.

Also I enjoyed Lady in the Water.

Marcdachamp
06-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I plunked down way too much money to see two of his last 3 travesties. It would have taken some of the best reviews ever for me to see Lady in the Water or this crap.

Skatonic10
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Regardless, the idea that nature would adapt to fight back against the polluting humans destroying the earth is what it is… but would the upshot really be humans committing suicide within minutes of short circuiting? Even if you went with the idea that nature blew out our minds, wouldn’t we be seeing more variety… angry people out of control… the meek fighting back… cars stopping randomly and others slamming into them… children crossing streets alone or jumping in the pond in Central Park? It’s a fascinating and horrifying idea. So is the notion of American paranoia about terrorism being turned on its head because its nature striking back at our bad, thoughtless behavior.

This is something Stephen King did extremely well in The Cell - his take on a similar premise. I actually can't wait to see $40-60 million worth of movie in about 15 minutes screen time.

Chinaski
06-13-2008, 12:33 PM

You might be onto something with that theory, a barely legal Michelle P the pink ladies were just the right amount of slutty for my teenage male needs at the time.

Actually, the last time I saw her, she had increased her density in a non-pleasing sort of way.

I'd say it musta been the grease, but I don't go for easy shots like that.

And currently, I believe, she's in Canada. BC awaits! She's all yours.

Thanks for the offer, but theres plenty of plus sized ladies around where I am, and with the price of gas these days a trip to Canada would be expensive.

But its nice to know theres a lady out there getting her rock on to the sounds of "cool rider" ( a cool cool cool cool rider)

UltimateFactor
06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
This movie was shit. :hulk:

bartleby
06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
This should make a wonderful comedy.

Maybe it is a comedy, at least that's what the Arclight Theatre in Los Angeles thinks.

http://filmgeekprimer.blogspot.com/2008/06/its-happening.html

Taxman
06-13-2008, 07:00 PM
It looks like Roger Ebert liked it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/REVIEWS/545929629

justjeffery
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things thus far...

Taxman
06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things thus far...At least will always have the trailer.

Kefky
06-13-2008, 07:26 PM

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/REVIEWS/545929629

Oh God... This is his new Spawn. http://www.newporkcity.net/npcforum/images/smilies/emot-colbert.gif

Petey Parker
06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe it is a comedy, at least that's what the Arclight Theatre in Los Angeles thinks.

http://filmgeekprimer.blogspot.com/2008/06/its-happening.html

Hey hey hey

silverboy
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I just got back from the theatre. The Happening sold out. Many people were disappointed when it was announced that it was sold out. I knew several people who wanted to see it. I pretended like I didn't see it.

I asked my girlfriend, who said she wanted to see it, what she thought it was about. She said she didn't know. I said exactly.

The Hulk was about 1/3 full. I'm scared for this weekend's box office.

TheTravis!
06-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I saw it. And now I want to kill myself. It is the worst movie I have ever seen.

TheTravis!
06-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Ebert has officially just surrendered his right to an opinion.

silverboy
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I've tried to warn so many people about this movie. They just won't listen. They just won't listen!

Damn you, American youth, you insatiable movie-goers! The Hulk was so much better than this!

Arion
06-26-2008, 07:00 AM
I go to the movies once a week or twice a month. I sit down in front of the TV and I watch at least 3 or 4 films each week. I go to film festivals at least a couple of times a year. I must have seen over a thousand movies that I can remember or talk about it if someone asks me about them.

I have a especial fondness for horror movies. Or stories with suspense and/or extraordinary happenings. I went to see THE HAPPENING afraid that it could be disappointing. People have criticized the final explanation behind the big threat, but it still has a scientific base just as good as any other explanation in any other sci-fi movie. Some scientists even defend the concept of Gaea, as a living planet; and there are writers that have built upon this theory. The original name of Shyamalan’s movie was going to be either The Green Planet or The Green Effect, but regardless of the title the movie has an undeniable ecologic approach. Even if you don’t like any of the explanations offered in the movie, you still have the conclusion of one of the kids in the beginning “it is an act of nature that we may never fully understand”. As you know, not everything in life can be explained, and it is nice to see a movie that accepts that.

About the acting, I don’t have complaints. Just look at the John Leguizamo scene; I’ve seen a lot of scenes in other movies, that are supposed to be sad but never work with me, I found the goodbye scene rather touching. Wahlberg is the typical teacher, I’ve had one or two like him, a guy that sometimes seems like an idiot talking as if he were explaining things to some invisible audience. People say the acting was childish or something like that, but I think everything was intentional. Like other Shyamalan’s movies, everything in it has a reason to be there. And because I am always a pessimistic guy, I love the ending.