PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here not buying Gravity, Why not?

Icarus
06-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Nothing to do with how much i repect Sean as a person and a creator.

I am just really eager to have new chracters injected inot the Marvel mythos and to last. This isn't a book about teenage girls but about a young male superheor in the MU. It seems so long since we had this kind of book. I would really like to see it suceed so the powers that be give us more of this kind of thing. Buying this book is creating the potential for an influx of new and exciting characters, that utilise the MU. So thoe of you that bitch about too much Wolverine or Spidey here's your chance to vote with your wallet. If the only books that sell are the ones with the film realated characters in then thats all we will get eventually. Don't tell me you can't see that happening already. C'mon guys lets bring back some of that Marvel magic back to the arena.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
06-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm mildly interested with what I've seen of it so far, enough to at least pick up the first issue.

andrew french
06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
i have to say i'm really interested in this as well. A new hero that's not a clone of wolverine.

SteveFlack
06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
As angry as I am that this story is very similar to a idea I put a lot of work into, I am still very excited about this book. Everybody should get behind this book.

-Steve!

Scottie
06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
It's not out already, is it?

Joe Henderson
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Am very much looking forward to it.

kubiak
06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
It's not out already, is it?
Issue 1 is out this week.

V-Man
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Teen Machine!!!-not buying it

anThONY_s
I'll read it. Don't think I'll buy it though. Money's suddenly tight.

DigiEmissary
As a teenage male, it shouldn't be surprising that i buy books about teenage females. :p

Though i'll look at it in the shop on wednesday.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
06-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I'l At Least Read It On The Shelf.

Wayno.

ForkDolphin
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't even know what it is. What is it?

xyzzy
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm fine with Runaways and New Avengers for new Marvel characters. Livewires is good too.

DrMachine
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
not buying...it would put me over my weekly budget

The Human Target
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm in the atleast read it on the shelf club. I dig most McKeever stuff, so I expect this to be pretty good.

And I agree that new characters are key to the Big 2 surviving. And I'm way more interested in this than in HoM or Crisis.

But at the same time, I'm not going to buy a book with a new character if it sucks.

Icarus
06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't even know what it is. What is it?

It's a new book about a young superhero new to New York. It promises lots of guest stars and is fixed firmly in the MU. It's kind of imagine if you were a rookie superhero trying to get into the big leagues by moving to New York wide eyed innocence and all. It's pretty original that way as most New York heroes were already there to begin with. It's not just dealing with been a new hero in New York it's dealig with been in superhero central.

Blake Sims
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
It really doesnt interest me so Im not getting it.

Scottie
06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
McKeever rules, dude.

THWIP!
06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm checking it out. I like McKeevers work on Mary Jane so I can't wait for this, and that artcal that was on Newsarama awhile back convinced me.

Icarus
06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
It really doesnt interest me so Im not getting it.

Do u mind me asking why?

Blake Sims
06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Do u mind me asking why?
i dont have and specific reasons aside from the concept doesnt interest me enough to buy it

ForkDolphin
06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey, I'm sold. I'm gonna buy a copy. It had better be good. Or else.

Mister Mets
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm not buying Gravity because I really want to cut down on comic books.

Len Ford
06-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm getting this but I also saw that they are releasing this as a digest like they did for Runaways... for all those that don't have the money now.

-Len

Brewtown Andy
06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
i dont have and specific reasons aside from the concept doesnt interest me enough to buy itI'm right there with you, man.

Criden
06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm not going to buy ANOTHER x-book....

Scottie
06-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm not going to buy ANOTHER x-book....
Uh, it's not one...

Woomba
06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm not buying gravity because there's that Great Attractor that messes things up in the universe.

TheKraken
06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm not buying it because I have never heard of it and have no idea what it is, for starters...

Criden
06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Uh, it's not one...

Uh, then why's there a big fucking X on his chest?

http://img61.echo.cx/img61/3516/428916qh.jpg

NickT
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
It's not an X, its a yellow circle with arrows pointing in to it.

And that ignores the, lets face it, dumbness of ignoring a book not for the creative team or pitch, but because of the origin story that may not be touched on :)

But it isn't an X-Book.

Scottie
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Uh, then why's there a big fucking X on his chest?

Those are arrows pointing to the center of the circle... y'know, like the center of the planet being the center of gravity and whatnot.

Thudpucker
06-06-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll give it a try next week.

Joe Henderson
06-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Those are arrows pointing to the center of the circle... y'know, like the center of the planet being the center of gravity and whatnot.

McKeever better make a joke about the fact that he's walking around with a big target on his chest.

Criden
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I am, of course, completely pulling your legs, and have planned on buying the book since it was first solicited.... :D

TheKraken
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM

Is his superhero name "Traveling Guy?" What's with all the luggage?

"The sense-shattering debut of the superhero who always has his wardrobe with him!"

RegularJoe
06-06-2005, 05:56 PM
i would, but just did a major re-draft of books i buy. i'm looking to buy a house in the next year and some shit had to give.

Jonny Z
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Is his superhero name "Traveling Guy?" What's with all the luggage?

"The sense-shattering debut of the superhero who always has his wardrobe with him!"

youre joking, right? after max criden's hilarious punking of us, i cannot tell with you guys anymore

Criden
06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
youre joking, right? after max criden's hilarious punking of us, i cannot tell with you guys anymore

:rolleyes:

we don't all have photoshop.

THAT Sean!
06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Because no one demanded it:

A Dozen Reasons To Buy Gravity, Which Arrives In Stores Wednesday, June 8

1. GRAVITY is an action-packed, character-driven, cameo-lovin' look at Marvel New York through the eyes of a newcomer.

2. He's a brand-spanking-new Marvel hero--here's your chance to get in on the ground floor and support new characters!

3. Black Death is the coolest-looking new villain since Typeface!

4. Clean, crisp, candy-like art from Mike Norton & Jonathan Glapion and vibrant colors from Guru eFX.

5. Blue Beetle's goggles live on!

6. Remember back in the old days when Spider-Man was a single college guy? Me too! And I'm the guy writing GRAVITY!

7. GRAVITY has been pre-canceled at #5 for your protection!

8. The collection will be digest-sized, which is cool, but if you want to see Mike's wonderful art in its originally-intended size, you'd better buy the comics!

9. Joe Quesada will have your babies!*

10. Because Hawkeye would have wanted it that way.

11. My mom says it's "fresh"!

12. If you don't, I'll come to your home and cry, and that's something you just can't un-see, you know?

And if those aren't enough reasons, here are nine more (http://seanmckeever.com/itemPreview.cfm?comic=GRA001)!

In honor of the release of GRAVITY #1, I'll be at The Laughing Ogre (http://thelaughingogre.com) in Columbus, Ohio, on June 8 from open to close! That's eleven hours! Don't let me get lonely, okay? If you come in and don't see me, just ask--I'm there somewhere!

*If and when medical science makes this possible, and even then, probably not.

Scottie
06-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Already pre-ordered it, dude.

Brandon191
06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm sold.

Drewr15
06-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I've already pre-ordered through issue 3, mckeever's good, art looks good and the MU needs some new super heros. For those who are short on funds, try mailordercomics. Not to pimp them out but they have been great and most books are a third to half off, if you only get shipments once a month it saves a good amount. I'm saving to buy a house after we get married this august and mailorder has let me keep most of my books with their discounts.

jacoblb
06-07-2005, 12:20 AM
I love the writer's work. Not enough for peridocals, but for TP--yes, you bet!

Freeway
06-07-2005, 12:48 AM

1. GRAVITY is an action-packed, character-driven, cameo-lovin' look at Marvel New York through the eyes of a newcomer.

2. He's a brand-spanking-new Marvel hero--here's your chance to get in on the ground floor and support new characters!

4. Clean, crisp, candy-like art from Mike Norton & Jonathan Glapion and vibrant colors from Guru eFX.

6. Remember back in the old days when Spider-Man was a single college guy? Me too! And I'm the guy writing GRAVITY!

8. The collection will be digest-sized, which is cool, but if you want to see Mike's wonderful art in its originally-intended size, you'd better buy the comics!

12. If you don't, I'll come to your home and cry, and that's something you just can't un-see, you know?

And if those aren't enough reasons, here are nine more (http://seanmckeever.com/itemPreview.cfm?comic=GRA001)!

In honor of the release of GRAVITY #1, I'll be at The Laughing Ogre (http://thelaughingogre.com) in Columbus, Ohio, on June 8 from open to close! That's eleven hours! Don't let me get lonely, okay? If you come in and don't see me, just ask--I'm there somewhere!

Sean, I always felt bad about not reading Mary Jane...because I heard it was very, very good. I'm getting in on the ground floor on this one. Between this, Runaways & Young Avengers, the youth movement in Marvel continues.

SteveZegers
06-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Trying to cut back (Adding all the Seven Solidiers books, maybe the mouse of M books, the Infinite Crisis Books... It's really adding up), but if it comes out in one of those nifty little digest books I'll take a look.

JABSEN
06-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Already pre-ordered it, dude.What he said

bstie1198
06-07-2005, 04:48 AM
No way in hell I'd miss a new McKeever book. BKV, McKeever, and BENDIS! are the only creators that I'll buy everything they write.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 06:34 AM
No way in hell I'd miss a new McKeever book. BKV, McKeever, and BENDIS! are the only creators that I'll buy everything they write.
That means you have to buy MEGA MORPHS! :p

Ray G.
06-07-2005, 06:40 AM

No.:p

Seriously, though. It's Sean McKeever writing a teen superhero book. How am I supposed to pass that up?

McAfee
06-07-2005, 06:40 AM
You had me at Typeface, Mr. McKeever. You had me at Typeface...

Ashton
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
It does look interesting, but not enough for me to buy it. I'm just maxed out on my 25 title limit. Aside from my absolute favorite titles (Astonishing, DD, Powers, New Avengers) from Marvel I'm going to other comic companies for different characters anyways.

jacoblb
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Gah!
I wish I re-phrased what I wrote.
I had no idea the author would visit the thread.
I need to be careful about what I say and how I say it because everday not only do I learn something new, but I learn yet another writer or artist comes to the Jinxworld boards.
It was not my intention nor did I mean to imply that I judged his ability to write as a way to determine on a scale what comic books I buy as monthlies and I hope Sean McKeever did not take it as such.
Honestly, I subscribe to very few peridicals anyway--it's like 6 titles in all.
I get mostly TP and still spend $100-200 a week at my LCS, which, on my annual salary is a wonder in and of itself.

bstie1198
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Actually, I'm giving that MEGA MORPHS one issue instead of the usual arc, but I'm gonna try it for you. Oh, and I'm looking forward to your Marvel Adventures Spider-Man issues.

LenNWallace
06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm onboard, and have been since this was solicited. Sean rocks, and it'll be awesome to see him and Norton working together again since The Waiting Place. Hopefully this will be the title that will help Sean to blast off. I haven't even read the book yet, and I'm already in love with this character, because of the enthusiasm of it's creative team. It's about time one of Sean's books took off. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BUY THIS, SO THAT ONE DAY, WE MIGHT SEE THIS CHARACTER IN THE RANKS OF THE NEXT TEAM OF AVENGERS! Keepin' it real, and kickin' it Sentry style.

Boris the Blade
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Oh, he came to pimp it.

I'm buying. I'll buy it if you pimp it.

Also because I liked the preview.

comicbookink
06-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Ordered 30 for the shop, Sean. That's a big order for a new title for us and we are mroe than thrilled for you in more ways we can say...

BUT

Please tell me how I can convince folks that's its just not INVINCIBLE set in the Marvel Universe. Cause that's the feedback I'm getting from folks who've I've tried to tell about it. Big Kirkman fans here at the shop (he's visiting in October)...and they (like me) want to stay loyal to the indy fella.

Scottie
06-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm actually planning on getting Mega Morphs too... just 'cause McKeever rocks so hard. Plus I figure maybe if a book by McKeever about big ol' robots does well enough, Marvel might consider reviving Sentinel.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Please tell me how I can convince folks that's its just not INVINCIBLE set in the Marvel Universe. Cause that's the feedback I'm getting from folks who've I've tried to tell about it. Big Kirkman fans here at the shop (he's visiting in October)...and they (like me) want to stay loyal to the indy fella.
I don't really think anything I have to say will dissuade your customers if they believe I'm ripping off Invincible. All I can say is "I'm not," which, you know...I'm not. I'm flattered by the comparison because Invincible's a cool book, but outside of the tiniest surface and tonal similarities, they aren't alike.

I know you'll be busy tomorrow, but I would suggest giving the book a read-through before the customers come piling in so you can tell them yourself what you honestly think of it.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Gah!
I wish I re-phrased what I wrote.
I had no idea the author would visit the thread.
I need to be careful about what I say and how I say it because everday not only do I learn something new, but I learn yet another writer or artist comes to the Jinxworld boards.
It was not my intention nor did I mean to imply that I judged his ability to write as a way to determine on a scale what comic books I buy as monthlies and I hope Sean McKeever did not take it as such.
Honestly, I subscribe to very few peridicals anyway--it's like 6 titles in all.
I get mostly TP and still spend $100-200 a week at my LCS, which, on my annual salary is a wonder in and of itself.
Dude, you didn't offend me in the least. You're one of the 20 people who reads my shit! How could I be offended by you? :p

comicbookink
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
My friend, I'm takin' it home tonight to read that very thing!!

I'll show them ALL!

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I'll buy it if you pimp it.
Christ, you're easy. :p

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
My friend, I'm takin' it home tonight to read that very thing!!

I'll show them ALL!
Also, tell them if they buy it and then see me at a convention, I'll give them a hug.

Wait, maybe that's a disincentive.

Scottie
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Sean McKeever,

Dude, can't you convince Marvel to let you make more Sentinel? Please?

Sincerely,
Scott

Scottie
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Also, tell them if they buy it and then see me at a convention, I'll give them a hug.

Wait, maybe that's a disincentive.
Hugs optional?

andrew french
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
goddam, i miss Sentinel. I got in on that late, but damn, i liked it.

and ::cough:: i read Mary Jane, it's on my pull list, and wish it was still an ongoing.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Dude, can't you convince Marvel to let you make more Sentinel? Please?
Haha, yeah, like those guys listen to a word I say. :)

Cross your fingers, Scottie. You too, Andrew.

Scottie
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Cross your fingers.
Just... give Joe Q a beeje or something. I'm told thats how most businesses are run.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Just... give Joe Q a beeje or something. I'm told thats how most businesses are run.
Yeah, I won't fall for that trick a tenth time, lemme tell ya...

LenNWallace
06-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Cross your fingers, Scottie. You too, Andrew.
How have the digests of Sentinel done? I bought like, 3 copies of each to keep for myself, and give to friends.

andrew french
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM

ooor marvel could just cancel x-force or x-whatever, and we can get sentinel back. i'm still crossing my fingers.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
How have the digests of Sentinel done? I bought like, 3 copies of each to keep for myself, and give to friends.
I get nice little incentive checks for them, so they must be doing okay...

LenNWallace
ooor marvel could just cancel x-force or x-whatever, and we can get sentinel back. i'm still crossing my fingers.
Pft... N**** please. Like that'll happen.

THAT Sean!
Well, it's not like that's an either/or proposition. They didn't stop Sentinel because there wasn't room for it in the schedule...

LenNWallace
06-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I get nice little incentive checks for them, so they must be doing okay...
But not enough to warrent a Runaways style relaunch? Your ending begs for a relaunch. Firebomb, Sean. Firebomb.

andrew french
06-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, it's not like that's an either/or proposition. They didn't stop Sentinel because there wasn't room for it in the schedule...
::sigh::

i know, but it was such a cool, different book. i know marvel is going for variety now, so i don't know why we can' have that book anymore. i re-read the digests all the time.

THAT Sean!
06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
But not enough to warrent a Runaways style relaunch? Your ending begs for a relaunch. Firebomb, Sean. Firebomb.
I think Runaways book 1 is in its third printing. They haven't had to reprint Sentinel yet.

LenNWallace
06-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I think Runaways book 1 is in its third printing. They haven't had to reprint Sentinel yet.
Okay, at least consider the 'firebomb' thing as an empty threat to use.

Scottie
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't get it. I mean, I definately get why people love Runaways so much... but I don't get why Sentinel doesn't get the same love.

LenNWallace
06-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't get it. I mean, I definately get why people love Runaways so much... but I don't get why Sentinel doesn't get the same love.
Personally, I think it was the fact that the art was too Manga-ish. I didn't have much problem with it, but your average Marvel reader has a tendency to bitch about it.

bstie1198
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Honestly, I dug Sentinel and all, but not nearly as much as Inhumans which Sean was doing at the same time (or Runaways, to be honest). I don't like any of the royal family or whatever the commonly known Inhumans were, but the characters Sean included in his Inhumans series were really interesting, and the plot twists and character arcs were not what I was expecting at all. If you've like Sean's other work and haven't checked it out yet, do yourself a favor and do so. If I could get one series resurrected, it'd be Sean's Inhumans. Ok, no, it'd be a Ben Reilly Spider-Man book, but Inhumans ranks at #2.