PDA

View Full Version : Price of Marvel One-Shots

ghost_writer
06-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I have noticed that many of them (like the X-Force one by Charlie Huston and Jason Aaron) are priced at 3.99. Are the page counts higher than normal, do they have cardstock covers...what's the deal? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

bartleby
06-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Stronger staples.

Criden
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
48 pages rather than 32.

Slewo.O
48 pages rather than 32.

So 16 pages of ads are added?

Criden

No.

Raphael J
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM

:roll:

Slewo.O
06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
No.

What? Sometimes I find there are more ads than comic pages added in double sized issues and such.

Criden
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
What? Sometimes I find there are more ads than comic pages added in double sized issues and such.

That doesn't mean there are no comic pages added.

Slewo.O
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
That doesn't mean there are no comic pages added.

Sorry if it wasn't clear but I was just making a joke about ads in my original post that's all. But yeah Ads are a necessary evil though I don't like em.

Again sorry!

MAK15
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

lotta the one shots have old-school comics reprinted in 'em.
the Hulk vs. Fin Fang Foom had a reprinted comic that first featured Foom.

Patton
06-06-2008, 10:53 AM
:roll:

:mad:

Slewo.O
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM

I think DC has the upperhand when it comes to things like annuals and one-shots. I have yet to see a double sized or what have you DC comic that has reprinted material. Marvel on the other hand :nonono2: Like a good portion of King Size Hulk had reprinted material and Hulk vs Hercules had a reprinted Jack and Stan story featuring the two.

THAT Sean!
06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
X-Men Origins: Jean Grey is 30 fully-painted pages of story for your four bucks.

ClintP
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Stronger staples.

In a recent Wolf-Man issue, Kirkman said the staples used in that comic were borrowed from Invincible... You might be on to something...

NickT
06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
In a recent Wolf-Man issue, Kirkman said the staples used in that comic were borrowed from Invincible... You might be on to something...
Which sucks if you buy Invincible that week ;)

adam_warlock_2099
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Which was just as fantastic to read in the reprint as it was in the original.

Dreg
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I've had it with the Liefield stories padding out the Wolverine annuals.

lonesomefool
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, the higher price is why I tend to pass on almost all of these. It wouldnt be so bad if they gave me all new material for the 3.99, but giving me a new story and then an old story I will never read is stupid. I just HATE those old reprints.

tom daylight
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Why never read? I would get that you wouldn't want it if you'd already read it, but never read? They don't just choose some random crappy comic, they usually pick the very best ones! (And they usually don't add much in terms of price.)

Marvel's had a great bunch of good value one-shots recently - I picked up Giant-Size Incredible Hulk (64 pages of Roger Stern story for $3.99!! 29 of those pages brand new - the rest, all Byrne!) and Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 (43 all-new pages of story - which I've got much more than a single reading's value out of - plus a wraparound cardstock cover and a 12-page pin-up gallery for $4.99, bargain!!!) and I was thrilled with both. I did, however, pass on the King-Sized Hulk thing (which intriguingly seemed to have both covers stapled to the front of every copy) because the new material seemed pretty insubstantial.

And Secret Invasion at $3.99 a 22-page issue is a &'*#@ing ripoff!!!

RebootedCorpse
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I was amazed by how much DC wanted for We3.

lonesomefool
06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Why never read? I would get that you wouldn't want it if you'd already read it, but never read? They don't just choose some random crappy comic, they usually pick the very best ones! (And they usually don't add much in terms of price.)

Marvel's had a great bunch of good value one-shots recently - I picked up Giant-Size Incredible Hulk (64 pages of Roger Stern story for $3.99!! 29 of those pages brand new - the rest, all Byrne!) and Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 (43 all-new pages of story - which I've got much more than a single reading's value out of - plus a wraparound cardstock cover and a 12-page pin-up gallery for $4.99, bargain!!!) and I was thrilled with both. I did, however, pass on the King-Sized Hulk thing (which intriguingly seemed to have both covers stapled to the front of every copy) because the new material seemed pretty insubstantial.

I agree that Secret Invasion and Final Crisis being 3.99 is BS, especially for the covers.

As for not reading them, I dont know, I'm just not a big "retro" comic fan or dont find them interesting enough to read. And they dont really pick the best ones, I mean one of the recent Wolverine: Origins issue has a Rob Liefeld Deadpool story. There is no way that is "good".

It doesnt add a ton to the price, but when you take into consideration they are charging you $4 for an old story that isnt relevant today and a story that more often than not reads like a fill-in story, they just are not very good value IMO.

The only one-shot comics from Marvel I have enjoyed lately are the Iron Fist ones, but those were done by Fraction and Brubaker.

tom daylight
06-07-2008, 01:01 AM
it was the first appearance of Deadpool wasn't it? I think that's a bit of a one-off.

if you don't like the main feature or the reprint then don't buy it!

lonesomefool
06-07-2008, 05:42 AM
it was the first appearance of Deadpool wasn't it? I think that's a bit of a one-off.

if you don't like the main feature or the reprint then don't buy it!

I tend not to, but some of them actually have some pretty decent creative teams working on them. I mean, August see's an Iron Fist story by Matt Fraction and Kano, but it will also include a couple of reprinsts that will drive the price up.

tom daylight
06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
The way it looks to me is that the Fraction/Kano story is a framework around the reprints themselves, a tribute by them to a classic story. (Who wouldn't want to read the original origin of Iron Fist story?)

Robert James
06-07-2008, 08:09 AM
After buying one or two of these one-shots, I quickly learned my lesson. They're simply too expensive, and while reprints can be cool in the case of King-Size Hulk for example I felt as if it was being advertised as mostly new stories. I'm glad I flipped through it, because it looked to be mostly reprints instead. With the rising price of regular issues I've already cut back, Cable and Young X-Men being the latest casualties. I also agree that the New Mutants #98 reprint in Origins #25 felt like a rip-off.

If I want reprints I'll try to find trade collections. Or too bad Marvel doesn't do anything like the X-Men Classic series, I enjoyed the hell out of that and knew what I was getting/paying for when I picked it up off the shelf.

jdklann
06-07-2008, 09:19 AM

It's a great story but I agree, 3.99 is a bit steep, especially considering that the first issue was double-size for the same price. My rational is that it's a limited series and not an on-going, so they get a pass.

I know it's already been discussed but the pricing for this hobby is getting a bit ridiculous. Once the standard monthly (Amazing Spider-man, Batman etc) breaks the $3 mark, I'm done. I'll probably switch over to trades or just stick with back issues.

tom daylight
06-07-2008, 09:27 AM
The back-of-the-book reprints usually work out as better value than the TPBs. And most of the time it's really obscure stuff that wouldn't fit in a TPB anyway (such as the Stern/Byrne Hulk comic in the back of GSIH).

That King-Size Hulk comic was 24 new pages of story, followed by a few more pages of previews and then I think three issues' worth of reprint. I was disappointed, particularly given the amount of publicity Marvel had afforded it. I think there always needs to be a good new-to-old ratio, or at least enough new stuff to nearly justify the price (and given that the $5 KSH book had five fewer pages of new material than the $4 GSIH book, it really didn't).