06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/060608spawnannouncement.html

Sounds interesting.

Criden
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, huh. No interest but that's cool.

RegularJoe
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
wonder how long WP can keep up the art chores on the book. he didn't last long on 'wetworks' if i recall.

Ryudo
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
It's 1996 all over again!

TheKraken
06-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Now they need to announce who will be taking over art duties after the first four months or so. Not to slam Whilce at all, I know he's overcome a lot of adversity, but he's still not got a good track record for sticking around, even on the book he created.

bartleby
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
It's good to see that the promise of Image comics has come to fruition and talented artists don't have to work for anyone other than themselves and on characters they own.

Well, except for Whilce Portacio, I guess.

DaveCummings
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Now they need to announce who will be taking over art duties after the first four months or so. Not to slam Whilce at all, I know he's overcome a lot of adversity, but he's still not got a good track record for sticking around, even on the book he created.

Though, he did do quite a few books like a year or so ago, when he had a Batman book out around the time he was doing Wetworks.

I mean, he can do a somewhat regular schedule, but there were some completely understandable things that set him back tremendously, like his sister dying of Lupus, or him being in a Diabetic coma for awhile.

Rod Nunley
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Let's assume that While can do it (which I think he can). And keep in mind that I really like his art.

But.

"We've just been talking with everybody involved about what we can do to see if we can inspire the readers," McFarlane said. "One of them was to just take the book in a different direction in terms of the storyline, and then the other one was maybe take it in a bit of a different direction artistically, too."

I really feel like his art for an image book is a step in the wrong direction. Seems to me that it'll just make the book feel a little too 1990's.

I can honestly say that I like his art a lot, but would personally see him doing something else. I feel like the only artist you could announce on Spawn that would draw in additional readers would be McFarlane himself. Anything else just makes me feel whatever about the whole thing.

Joe Kalicki
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
He had most of his Wetworks run drawn years before it was published. It was originally supposed to be a mature readers Eye of the Storm book and you could tell a lot was cut/altered in his art, which was terrible in that series.

Criden
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
He had most of his Wetworks run drawn years before it was published. It was originally supposed to be a mature readers Eye of the Storm book and you could tell a lot was cut/altered in his art, which was terrible in that series.

...RassumfrassumWildstormfuckup...

DAVE
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
It's 1996 all over again!

I had no idea Todd McFarlane and Whilce Portacio collaborated on Spawn in 1996.

Joe Kalicki
06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
...RassumfrassumWildstormfuckup...

I don't see what the problem is. Their Mature books weren't selling, so they held off and put it out in a way that would make more sense.

Albert
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Cool. They announced at NYCC that two Image founders would take over Spawn, and this was most everyone's guesses. Yay for accurate guessing!

Ray G.
06-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that McFarlane will get bored and hire a co-writer before Portacio misses an issue.

TheKraken
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Though, he did do quite a few books like a year or so ago, when he had a Batman book out around the time he was doing Wetworks.

I mean, he can do a somewhat regular schedule, but there were some completely understandable things that set him back tremendously, like his sister dying of Lupus, or him being in a Diabetic coma for awhile.

But, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, much of that Wetworks stuff had been drawn for awhile, and the book still suffered delays and saw him leave penciling duties after 6 issues. He only did Batman for 6 issues, too. Like I said, I'm not knocking him. I think his art is very unique and with all the setbacks he's dealt with, the fact that he's still working at all is commendable... inspirational, even. But none of that means he'll stick around too long.

Criden
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't see what the problem is. Their Mature books weren't selling, so they held off and put it out in a way that would make more sense.

I'm thinking more of the promise of the Morrison Wildcats and Authority. And I'm thinking of how great the line was a couple years ago (three years ago, now?) compared to what it is now. I love Wildstorm and I still read all their books. Number of the Beast is very good. But I'm just disappointed with the direction the line has taken overall in the last couple of years.

Joe Kalicki
06-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking more of the promise of the Morrison Wildcats and Authority. And I'm thinking of how great the line was a couple years ago (three years ago, now?) compared to what it is now. I love Wildstorm and I still read all their books. Number of the Beast is very good. But I'm just disappointed with the direction the line has taken overall in the last couple of years.

You need to start posting in my Wildstorm thread.

Morrison's the only one who fucked up the relaunch. He's whiny because no one liked his Authority. The other books were pretty timely and of a high quality (mostly).

DAVE
06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that McFarlane will get bored and hire a co-writer before Portacio misses an issue.

He's launching the series with a co writer, Ray.

Joe Kalicki
06-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Ray was RIGHT!

DAVE
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Ray was RIGHT!

Apparently McFarlane got bored while pitching the series to Brian Haberlin!

bartleby
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

See... Ray was right.

MAK15
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
meh.
they always are taking Spawn in a new direction.
yet every direction he takes just leads him right back to suck.

...of course, I could be a little biased from the whole heaven vs. Hell battle story...

bartleby
06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
...of course, I could be a little biased from the whole heaven vs. Hell battle story...

Were you on the losing side or something?

MAK15
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Were you on the losing side or something?

yes.
yes I was.

Tom G.
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I really don't think this is going to make much of a difference in the books sales. Really, the only thing people would really notice or respond to is McFarlane drawing again.

Chinaski
06-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Wasnt there just a guy (the current writer, I think it was) posting on the board the other day about Spawn and its current "new" direction. And wasnt there another "new" direction that set the industry (ok, the 2500 Spawn readers) on its ear about a year ago?

Whatever happened to the noir-ish detective Spawn?

Is it down to, just throw anything at the wall and see what sticks over at TMP these days?

justjeffery
06-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Jesus Christ could be drawing this with Hunter S Thompson writing it and I STILL wouldnt buy a Spawn book.

Big Poot!
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Definitely getting this first issue.

Todd says nice things about Brian MB in the article, like how his writing style is great in comics and compliments his Daredevil run.

lonesomefool
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I guess I will have to go buy some flannel shirts and some beat up jeans while I listen to Nirvana and Pearl Jam since that was the last time these two were relevant.

Joe Kalicki
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Jesus Christ could be drawing this with Hunter S Thompson writing it and I STILL wouldnt buy a Spawn book.

I want to see Jesus Christ write a book about a Spawn of Hell.

niceguyeddie
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
hmmm... i haven't read the book in years.
i heard last year that the book was getting better though? did it start to crap out again??

Jim.
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
What is McFarlane's role exactly? Plotter?

Masculine Todd
06-06-2008, 04:32 PM
This is disappointing. David Hine and Brian Haberlin were doing something very unique with the book. It was an awesome read for the first time in...well, ever. Pity.

Oh, and McFarlane's true talent has never lied in weaving an engaging story.

William Satterwhite
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
This is pretty cool, Portacio's style actually seems like a natural fit for Spawn.

dEnny!
06-06-2008, 05:34 PM
So..........McFarlane is essentially...doing what?

Image founder Whilce Portacio (Wetworks) gets behind the wheel to drive the book in that new artistic direction with McFarlane riding shotgun as creative director.[b/] The pair work in conjunction with one another—[b]McFarlane often describes the scenes and Portacio pencils in his own twists and turns.

:shock: SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?

c. page
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I want to see Jesus Christ write a book about a Spawn of Hell.

no! he'll only draw it.

jesus is an artist, not a writer.

although, i would like to see HST write a book about a spawn of hell.

dEnny!
06-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I want to see Todd McFarlane fully script or illustrate his own Spawn story for ONE issue.

AndreGDMD
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
sounds like he will do more with the art layouts than the scripting. Thank God

Ethan Van Sciver
06-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Sigh.

Artie Pink
06-07-2008, 04:26 PM
http://community.middlebury.edu/~fswenton/Music/PetShopBoys-actually.jpg