PDA

View Full Version : I am a Warren Ellis fan…

Benel Germosen
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
…yet I have never read Transmetropolitan before.

Joe Kalicki
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
You should.

It's when he was a good writer, and not just a big name.

Jerome Gibbons
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Dude, that's like saying "I'm a fan of wearing clothes, and yet I never wear them!!!"

Adam Witt
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
It's good. Great, even. But never, ever read any Hunter S. Thompson books if you want it to REMAIN good.

Benel Germosen
06-04-2008, 10:28 PM
It's good. Great, even. But never, ever read any Hunter S. Thompson books if you want it to REMAIN good.

I have read Thompson's work.

I am not a fan

Jerome Gibbons
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
It's good. Great, even. But never, ever read Hunter S. Thompson books if you want it to REMAIN good.

For me, it's a similar case with All Star Batman and Year One and DKR.

Okay, maybe not DKR, since that one was kinda ass even way back when, but yeah.

Benel Germosen
Dude, that's like saying "I'm a fan of wearing clothes, and yet I never wear them!!!"

That too.

Adam Witt

I am not a fan

Then read Transmet with caution, traveler.

c. page
06-04-2008, 10:30 PM

I am not a fan

:shock:

blasphemy, says, I! (not really, but if you don't like thompson you may not like transmet)

have to disagree with my co-writer, here. i read thompson before reading transmet, and i still think transmet is one of my favorite comics.

Adam Witt
06-04-2008, 10:33 PM
have to disagree with my co-writer, here. i read thompson before reading transmet, and i still think transmet is one of my favorite comics.

After reading HST and more of Ellis' work, Transmet just comes off as more of Ellis' waving of his hands and going 'LOOK! Look how clever I am! Please! Technology. INTERNET. LOOOOOOK.' At least in my eyes.

I mean, it's still got a great humanist arc of story, and a ton of cool stuff going on. I can't take that from it. But after reading more Ellis, and reading more HST, it just comes out kind of hollow at the end for me.

As with anyone, results may vary.

c. page
06-04-2008, 10:34 PM
After reading HST and more of Ellis' work, Transmet just comes off as more of Ellis' waving of his hands and going 'LOOK! Look how clever I am! Please! Technology. INTERNET. LOOOOOOK.' At least in my eyes.

I mean, it's still got a great humanist arc of story, and a ton of cool stuff going on. I can't take that from it. But after reading more Ellis, and reading more HST, it just comes out kind of hollow at the end for me.

As with anyone, results may vary.

i also haven't reached the end (only halfway through the story), so it's quite possible that my opinion could change.

NeverWanderer
06-04-2008, 11:27 PM
I have two favorite comics of all time, and I justify them sharing the top spot by separating them into two qualifications:

The Crow makes you feel.

Transmetropolitan makes you think.

I recommend both.

Ashwin Pande
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Burn yourself with acid.

Benel Germosen
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Burn yourself with acid.

Quiet, you.

Jonathan Callan
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Quiet, you.

Hahaha. Seriously. Good read, I very much recommend it. It's a work of excellent futurism and noble human character, what Faulkner called "the human heart in conflict with itself". And bowel-disrupters. Can't forget bowl-disrupters. :)

Brian Reed
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM

I am not a fan

I'm a big Thompson fan, and it's easy to spot the influences, but Transmetropolitan is its own beast. One of my favorite series.

Benel Germosen
06-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I might read more Thompson as I'm reading Transmet, just to compare note. But from what I've read, I didn't connect with. Not that it was bad, it's just…not interesting to me.

SgtPepper
06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
I've only read Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. When I was reading the first volume of Transmetropolitan I was reminded quite a lot of Hunter S. Thompson. I do think it's pretty good and in this book Ellis seems to have more compassion towards people than I've ever seen before.

Bryan H
06-05-2008, 04:19 AM
I adore Trasmet. It has a special place on my skin in ink.

Its what made me not want to become a Journalist, because if I couldn't be like that, then there's no reason to try.

tim nixon
06-05-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm a big Thompson fan, and it's easy to spot the influences, but Transmetropolitan is its own beast. One of my favorite series.

ya-i see the two as somewhat alike, although i always saw spider as the better man. he was much more proactive in getting 'the job' done, a little more conniving.

also-if you like ellis's social commentary books, get crecy and angel stomp future.

on a side not, brian, i finally beat johnny storm's final race in ult. spiderman after a year and a half...that bastard.

PatrickA
06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
ya-i see the two as somewhat alike, although i always saw spider as the better man. he was much more proactive in getting 'the job' done, a little more conniving.

Well..Spider is fictional too, which is an definite advantage towards "getting things done."

Spider is obviously a HST lift (ellis has always said as much). I'm reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail and it could be the book Spider wrote that made him famous.

tim nixon
06-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Spider is obviously a HST lift (ellis has always said as much). I'm reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail and it could be the book Spider wrote that made him famous.

it also stopped him from being able to get to the TRUTH!!!!!!

mike black
06-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Well..Spider is fictional too, which is an definite advantage towards "getting things done."

He wrote a book like that in the series (the name escapes me at the moment,) that was him in The Beast's Press Corps during the prior election.

schizorabbit
06-05-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm Spartacus.

PatrickA
06-05-2008, 06:19 AM
He wrote a book like that in the series (the name escapes me at the moment,) that was him in The Beast's Press Corps during the prior election.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.