PDA

View Full Version : Frank Miller tries to ressure fans that The Spirit will not be a Sin City retread...

NeverWanderer
05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Just read this and thought people here might find it interesting.

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/05/31/frank-miller-assures-that-the-spirit-is-not-another-sin-city/

Jerome Gibbons
05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
But Miller confirms that The Spirit is actually a full-color movie
Well, that's something I guess. At least there's the possibility for a blue suit.

Still, the color thing isn't really what bothers me. I can honestly say I can deal with that. It's...well, everything else that I'm not too crazy about.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nope. No blue suit. Darn.

glk
05-31-2008, 10:38 AM
EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nope. No blue suit. Darn.

I'm not a stickler for adaptations, but this seems to me a bad idea. I dunno. Maybe they did camera tests and it didn't work... But the black suit looks too dark.

Supreme Convoy
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess that kinda makes sense... a blue/green clothing screws up the blue/green screen process.

Donal DeLay
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Another change that fans of the Eisner comic book series are concerned with is Millerís decision to change The Spiritís traditional blue hat, mask, and jacket to black. Miller explains that the Spiritís original blue attire was the product of the limitations of pre-digital printing which necessitated everything in black be printed in blue.

Miller assures that in creating The Spiritís look for the film, tests were run with the blue color, but that ďthe blue made the Spirit look like an unfortunate guest at a Halloween party.Ē

Going to black brings back his essential mystery, his Zorro-like sexiness. It also makes that red tie of his look very, very cool. So I made the call, with all respect to Eisnerís creation, and most importantly, to what I perceived as his underlying intention. It was an easy call for me to make. The Spirit dresses in black, and looks much the better for it. That's why.

Color of the suit isn't important to me. It's like being upset Batman's costume went from blue/black to black/grey. For me, it's the story, it better be visually innovative and interesting.

glk
05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
That's why.

Color of the suit isn't important to me. It's like being upset Batman's costume went from blue/black to black/grey. For me, it's the story, it better be visually innovative and interesting.

Ah, I see that. I was too lazy to read the article :Oops: but that makes sense.

Benel Germosen
05-31-2008, 12:28 PM
That's why.

But the thing about is that The Spirit's suit was always meant to be blue. It wasn't an act of necessity like with Batman, it was a conscious decision as to how Eisner wanted the character to be read.

Donal DeLay
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
But the thing about is that The Spirit's suit was always meant to be blue. It wasn't an act of necessity like with Batman, it was a conscious decision as to how Eisner wanted the character to be read. When did Eisner say that?

Hock
05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I guess that kinda makes sense... a blue/green clothing screws up the blue/green screen process.

then why do the whole blue screen thing. and there are ways around it.

NeverWanderer
05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
then why do the whole blue screen thing. and there are ways around it.

Probly because no one else would trust Frank Miller to direct a movie ANYWHERE other than in front of a green/blue screen. :lol:

Everything about this project is what it is because of the director attached.

bradical
05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
all i know is that the teaser trailer i saw made me laugh out loud it looked so bad.

Ambrosia Publishing
05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Not to sound like too much of a dick but I kinda hope the movie bombs just so Miller gets back to doing some more comic work.

And no, BATMAN AND ROBIN doesn't cut it.

Wesley