PDA

View Full Version : Trade Paperback List Book of the Week 6/8

Rob Helmerichs
06-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Book of the Week: Ice Haven. Daniel Clowes' latest, this is an expanded version of the ambitious Eightball 22, which was less of a story than a bunch of flies buzzing around a story. Consisting of 29 shorts in a variety of styles, most of them dealt (at least tangentially) with life in the small town of Ice Haven, where a young boy has gone missing. The way the shorts dance around the point without often hitting it dead-on is sometimes maddening but always interesting. I'm not sure how this 38-page experiment will translate to an 84-page book, but I can't wait to find out.

Old Book of the Week: Ghost World. Clowes' biggest success to date, this portrait of two extremely realistic girls who spend most of their time either telling stories, complaining about their lives, or insulting the people around them. The episodic nature of the series conceals a subtle but eventually distinct structure (one made more explicit in the excellent if more accessible movie adaptation), but even when you don't know where it's going, the interaction between Enid and Becky is fascinating. I'm not sure I'd want to meet them, but I certainly enjoyed reading about them.

Jonny Z
06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
i'm hoping daniel clowes has copies of this with him at MoCCA this weekend- i'd LOVE to buy a copy from him and have him sign it too.