Can't wait to see some preview images.

I AM GROOT!
05-29-2008, 08:30 AM
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=208&itemid=11681

Can't wait to see some preview images.

Oops! I started another thread at the same time. :lol:

GrandeMaestro F√ľnke
05-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Now we can get a 30th G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover!

Ashwin Pande
05-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Now we can get a 30th G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover!

:lol:

I LOOOOOOVED the Jae Lee one though. That was awesome.

James Patrick
05-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Awesome. But poor IDW, as if I don't bug them enough.

Marc Lombardi
05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
What about Devil's Due?

James Patrick
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
What about Devil's Due?

Devil's Due has some great, great things coming out. ;-)

And aside from THOSE great things, they're really reloading their licenses and and quality projects. There's been a lot of press releases lately.

cPol
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
:lol:

I LOOOOOOVED the Jae Lee one though. That was awesome.

Was that the gritty war-story one? I've been waiting for a trade of that, because I lost track of it after one or two issues.

Doc Randy
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I will never understand the fascination or excitement about licensed Transformers or GI Joe comics.

It is a smart business move for IDW. I just don't understand the demand.

James Patrick
05-29-2008, 08:52 AM
I will never understand the fascination or excitement about licensed Transformers or GI Joe comics.

well, my first comic was gi joe 19. it's very nostalgic for me.

Ashwin Pande
05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

Well... there are fans of the characters from the cartoons and older awesome Marvel Comic series. Larry Hama was one of the best, if not the best writer from the 80s imo. G.I. Joe was an awesome, amazing comic book.

Even the recent G.I. Joe series... I've forgotten what it was called... was really, really good. They did some really cool stuff with the characters and even killed off some of the older canonical characters. It's a place where you can tell good stories featuring the characters.

I mean... obviously there is a great demand for these stories. They're making a second Transformers movie and a big budget G.I. Joe movie which is the first one of a franchise.

I'm guessing you didn't grow up in the late 80s and early 90s. ;)

arthurloewenkamp
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Was that the gritty war-story one? I've been waiting for a trade of that, because I lost track of it after one or two issues.

There's a digest of it in black and white. It's very cool.

Cth
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM

For me, I guess I'd have to say it has more to do with updated themes and approaches to the source material.

Or to put it another way, Ditko's Spidey was great, but the adult reader in me appreciates KRAVEN'S LAST HUNT or the drug storyline that Harry Obsorn they did.

Sure, not everything is going to be great, but it's worth revisiting an old property to mine it further for potentially interesting plot concepts, even if a good portion of it isn't going to be great.

The sheer glut of TF stuff I'm not thrilled with, and buy very little, if any of it.

That having been said, something like "ALL HAIL MEGATRON" should be interesting to see unfold.

AndrewG
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Congrats to the IDW team.

I was introduced to the GI Joe comic directly from the toys and the commericials they used to have featuring the comics. My first issue was #16 and I thought it was very cool how one main bad guy (Cobra Commander) is trying to figure out whether to shoot the main good guy (Hawk) or another guy on his team he can't stand (Destro). Those first 3 dozen issues were so much fun.

I stuck around for the series up until issue 100 or so then lost interest, as I did with the toys (although I still continued to buy other comics). I checked out a few of the issues since it left Marvel and have picked up the World War III storyline out of curiosity, but it doesn't have the same 'oompf' as it had when I was reading the old Marvel books laying next to the GI Joe toy base and Hiss Tanks and several 'wounded' action figures.

That said, I am definately going to give the new book a try. IDW has done some remarkable work and I trust that they'll do their best. I don't think GI Joe can recaputre the magic of wonder when I was a kid, but if they put a good creative team on it and tell some great stories, then that'll be good enough for me.

Foolish Mortal
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Nostalgia Factor.

Caley Tibbittz
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Does IDW really "get" anything?

Lanowar
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM

Transformers is actually quite good, couple of misses here and there with the one shots but on the whole it is'nt arse gravy which is all one can ask for.

xhondax
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow IDW scores another big 80's icon book.
I'm into the Devils Due stuff mainly cuz it is a continuation from the old Marvel series but my main problem with it was that they never reprinted the Marvel stuff. I don't know if they had the rights to it, I know Marvel tried to reprint it but only got up to the 5th trade, but it would be nice to have. Hopefully IDW can do that since they are making reprints of the older Transformers comics.
I also really dug the Dreamwave Transformers series and was bummed when it ended. When IDW started publishing Transformers I wasn't as into it but after reading all the arcs they've done I have faith that they can do GI Joe right.

arthurloewenkamp
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
The important thing to note here is now we can pay about 8 dollars an issue for 11 pages of story.

Corey A.
05-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I still want the old marvel comics in tpb pronto. I posted this from my new iPod touch...

J. Wilson
05-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Because G.I. Joe ROCKS!

I know most people, myself included, picked it up when DD first started publishing it, but it grew beyond nostalgia. It was a damn good book all on it's own.

As for the IDW book, I'm just hoping they don't junk the continuity and do some Ultimatization of the series and the characters. Oh, and I know I'll be in the minority on this but here's hoping that they have NO crossovers with The Transformers.

If they reprint the Marvel series, let's just see if they do the whole series or stop at 5 TPBS like Marvel did.

$3.99 an issue is pretty steep, but all the other stuff I buy from IDW has turned out pretty good.

Supreme Convoy
05-29-2008, 12:26 PM
As with most fanboy things, I hate change so I hope they continues the Marvel/Devil's Due continuity.

Ben
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I still want the old marvel comics in tpb pronto. I posted this from my new iPod touch...Didn't Marvel release four fat volumes a few years ago? Did you get those?

Petey Parker
05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Didn't Marvel release four fat volumes a few years ago? Did you get those?

Yeah but they stopped at around issue 50

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Does IDW really "get" anything?

3.99 comix with cardstock covers (and obligatory Ashley Wood variants!) here we come!

;)

Snark aside, I'm curious as to what IDW will do with the license. Reboot? Continue? Reprint Marvel stuff? Reprint Devil's Due stuff?

davidmackguide.com
05-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know someone who has successfully sold a story to IDW?

For the past year, I've been tinkering with a GI Joe one-shot and would like to submit it to them.

Best,
David Thornton >> http://davidmackguide.com

Joe Kalicki
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I want a fresh reboot, like IDW did with Transformers (I'd say successfully). I like their mini-series and one shot approach to universe building.

Usually I hate reboots, but the Joe franchise has been through so much since Devil's Due got it, I think it's time to start over.

James Patrick
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know someone who has successfully sold a story to IDW?

I do, but he's an asshole.

Supreme Convoy
05-29-2008, 04:42 PM

And I bought his issue like a sucker.

DanLTaylor
05-29-2008, 08:40 PM

That makes me a triple asshole.

Pat Loika
05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Man, I'd love to draw a GI Joe comic. Or at least have a pin up in one.

P.

XXXenophile
05-30-2008, 12:42 AM

Stories that went far beyond what they were putting on TV at the time. And in GI Joe's case, kept the continuity for all this time.

And then you've got the animated TF movie, doing things NO ONE would ever expect to see in a cartoon. And for GI Joe fans, there's always the Springfield two parter.

They just had major events and stories that really resonated with anyone watching it at the time and its stuff that stuck with them.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
05-30-2008, 02:31 AM
Good news for IDW, bad news for fans of Larry Hama's Storm Shadow series, I assume.

I don't see any reason for a reboot, because I think the new continuity would get just as dense and confusing in short time. But whatever. I won't get to buy it, anyway.

mario
05-30-2008, 02:38 AM
That makes me a triple asshole.

yeah, but I'm the biggest asshole because I worked with these two assholes