PDA

View Full Version : So I went to my first big con: WizardWorld Philly

Evan Wiener
06-05-2005, 07:35 PM
After some debate over the $25 entrance fee (yeah, I'm fuckin' cheap, so what?), I decided to head to WizardWorld Philly. My wife is out of town for a few days, and told me "Hey, I'll be gone, get your geek on." My dad, who funded my teenage comics collection in exchange for lawn maintenance, thought it would be fun to go, so we both went. What a day.

My dad is a sucker for free marketing junk, so this was definitely a fun experience for him. He must have taken 20 Superman pins from the DC booth. :rolleyes: The free stuff people were giving out was decent. I lost count of the posters and wish I was 15 again, so I could hang them on every bit of free wall space.

I didn't bother with any book signing. I guess I've grown out of it. I am getting old enough where I'd rather talk to a creator than have them sign the 10 books and go.

I'm never sure how the celebrities are going to be, so unless I'm a real fan, I don't usually bother to meet too many. Lou Ferigno frightened me. Not like, "Wow, that dude's ripped." intimidated. More like, "If I don't give him money, he may snap my neck." I heard a morning radio show in Philly mockingly interview him a year or so ago, he seemed a little unaware what was going on. Kinda felt bad. They were a terrible morning show anyway, and are no longer on the air.

The guy who played BeastMaster seemed like a real nice guy. I've never seen BeastMaster, but he was so friendly, I had to say hi.

I attended Mike Oeming's panel on storytelling. This was my first comic panel, and it was great. Him and a writer/director friend of his (forget his name) did a great job on intro-level storytelling. Lots of monkey jokes were used.

I meant to attend more of Wizard School panels, which I find to be the most interesting at these shows, but I was only there today. Anyone catch Mike Mignola's? How was it?

Anyway, I picked up some decent trades at half price: Blankets (which I hear is great), Frank Miller's Daredevil Vol 2 (have never read Miller's Daredevil work), a JSA trade, and some random recent stuff I hadn't picked up yet. Some recent issues were more or less than cover, depending on the retailer.

Generally, I had a great time, and want to thank Oeming for doing a fun panel. My dad enjoyed it, and wouldn't know panel arrangement from point-of-view.

Oh, and some chick was dressed as Elektra, turning many a fan-boy head. :rolleyes:

For those that went:

What was the best panel?
Who was the coolest creator you met?
Who was a total dick?
Who was the best costumed freak?
:)

batphone begins
06-05-2005, 07:36 PM
no pics? :(

Evan Wiener
06-05-2005, 07:42 PM
No, my dumbass forgot my cell phone with the digital camera. I SO wanted some pics, too. Damn... maybe next year.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-05-2005, 07:43 PM
i like your screen name.

batphone begins
06-05-2005, 07:51 PM
i want pics

Evan Wiener
06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Some other posts about the con have good pics.