PDA

View Full Version : Judd Apatow is ruining film comedy.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I had this conversation today, and I thought I'd post my thoughts here for you guys's feedback.

Ever since "40 Year Old Virgin" people have been proclaiming Judd Apatow as the savior of comedy.

I disagree.

Now, this is not to say I don't like Judd Apatow movies. In fact, I've seen just about everyone since "The Cable Guy" theatrically, and loved them.

The problem is with the "UNRATED DVD EXTENDED EDITIONS". Now, Judd didn't create this genre, but I feel he's abused it to make his movies weaker. The timing on all of his DVD editions is terrible, scenes drag, and it really makes the movies weaker. Sadly, these are the editions most people see, because the idea of seeing "SCENES TOO RAW FOR THEATERS" grab people's attention, and the theatrical cut DVDs are usually bare-bones, so people usually end up seeing and remembering these editions.

You know what's a great comedy? Ghostbusters. Why? 104 minutes. Perfect.

-Steve!

Yannick_B
05-22-2008, 08:30 PM
So he's ruining film comedy because his movies are longer on dvd?

LenNWallace
05-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, they drag on in the Extended versions at times, but fuck it. They're still consistently the funniest things coming out anymore.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 08:36 PM
So he's ruining film comedy because his movies are longer on dvd?

Yes, those are the one that live forever.

The theatrical cuts are near perfect.

-Steve!

LenNWallace
05-22-2008, 08:40 PM

-Steve!

I can kind of agree there. They should package the movies like they did with Walk Hard. Put the original and the extended cut on the disc and then the other disc full of the usual extras.

That way, everyone goes home happy.

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I dont disagree about the dvd's, but...with The Zohan movie and MM's shitfest coming out this summer...I'll watch eight thousand of Judd's movies before I watch one second of those.

Hennessy
05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Then don't watch or buy the extend version.

They sell two versions so that choice can be exercised.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I dont disagree about the dvd's, but...with The Zohan movie and MM's shitfest coming out this summer...I'll watch eight thousand of Judd's movies before I watch one second of those.

Can I blow your mind for a second?

Judd Apatow is a producer on Zohan.

-Steve!

ZombieSpeedball
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM

-Steve!

Kablamo.

LenNWallace
05-22-2008, 08:49 PM

-Steve!

I would say "dude's gotta feed the monkey", but isn't he like the mogul of film comedy now?

That's just depressing.

Colby
05-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I...think I agree.

In fact, I'd take this a step further: all of the deleted scenes on most comedy DVDs? Yeah, they were deleted FOR A REASON, and it's worth remembering that reason.

Ashwin Pande
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't think he's ruining it.

Typifying it, stereotyping it, making movies with a similar theme again and again, yeah.

I liked Knocked Up though I thought 40 year old Virgin was a bad movie.

I don't think he's the savior of film comedy and know that if he's going to keep churning out movie after movie eventually he'll produce a film that really, really sucks.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I...think I agree.

In fact, I'd take this a step further: all of the deleted scenes on most comedy DVDs? Yeah, they were deleted FOR A REASON, and it's worth remembering that reason.

I can see that, but I don't mind them as deleted scenes. They are there own beast there, you can watch them, or you can skip over them. But once they start inserting them back into the movie, that's when the problem comes in.

I miss the days when "UNRATED EXTENDED EDITIONS" were just some more boobs, and not 10 minutes of Seth Rogan 'riffing'.

Editing is comedy's friend.

-Steve!

Thomas Mauer
05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
What's ruining it is not the extended cuts, it's what ruined the Zucker's comedies: Formula. you can only take so much of the same type of basic concept before it goes stale.

ZombieSpeedball
I can see that, but I don't mind them as deleted scenes. They are there own beast there, you can watch them, or you can skip over them. But once they start inserting them back into the movie, that's when the problem comes in.

I miss the days when "UNRATED EXTENDED EDITIONS" were just some more boobs, and not 10 minutes of Seth Rogan 'riffing'.

Editing is comedy's friend.

-Steve!

More boobs are the only deleted scenes worth salvaging.

bartleby

Also a writer.

Rod Nunley
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Judd Apatow is ruining film comedy.

Yeah? So's your face. :)

Comedy. Gold.

Thank you folks ... I'll be here all week.

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM

-Steve!

hahaah holy god, seriously? I guess the greed got to him. Die, Judd, die.

NeverWanderer
05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Legitimate complaint.

BUT... I'd blame the company that chooses to package the movies that way, rather than the director who says, "Ah, we'll just save this for the extended edition." Extended editions have their place, but it's not his fault that theatrical cuts are being pushed out.

Boris the Blade
05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Those DVD's were old when American Pie 2 came out on UNRATED DVD.

Dreaded Anomaly
05-22-2008, 09:10 PM
He gets a free pass from me after doing Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

No matter how much comedy of questionable/shitty quality he makes from this point onwards, we still have FSM (which are, interestingly, also the initials of the Flying Spaghetti Monster), and that's good enough for me.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 09:16 PM
He gets a free pass from me after doing Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

No matter how much comedy of questionable/shitty quality he makes from this point onwards, we still have FSM (which are, interestingly, also the initials of the Flying Spaghetti Monster), and that's good enough for me.

I'm terrified of the idea of the "UNRATED EXTENDED EDITION" of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It'll probably be filled with much, much more Jason Segal's dong.

-Steve!

silverboy
05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Hasn't Apatow only directed two movies--Virgin and Knocked Up?

An extended editions are done by the director, right? So...a lot of people who aren't Apatow?

Thomas Mauer
05-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Hasn't Apatow only directed two movies--Virgin and Knocked Up?

An extended editions are done by the director, right? So...a lot of people who aren't Apatow?
Yes. But he's a producer/writer on way more and as a producer, he may have some influence over what goes into extras/extended cuts.

silverboy
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes. But he's a producer/writer on way more and as a producer, he may have some influence over what goes into extras/extended cuts.

Perhaps but I doubt it. It seems more like a director/editor/studio thing.

Mike_Johnson
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll agree on Ghostbusters.

Captain Sensation
05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
disagree, he gave us the 40 yr old virgin, and superbad....nothing ive seen him involved in was terrible the last couple of years.

SteveFlack
05-22-2008, 09:53 PM
disagree, he gave us the 40 yr old virgin, and superbad....nothing ive seen him involved in was terrible the last couple of years.

Have you seen the DVD cuts of either of those movies?

-Steve!

Captain Sensation
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Have you seen the DVD cuts of either of those movies?

-Steve!

i own them both, but as someone said, you have a choice of which version to buy. Ive seen each movie like 8 times prior to release on dvd so the extended cuts, while longer, were welcome.

Albert
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I hate having more of something I like! Complain!

Jerome Gibbons
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Unrated, extended editions of movies is not a genre.

Ben
05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
What's ruining it is not the extended cuts, it's what ruined the Zucker's comedies: Formula. you can only take so much of the same type of basic concept before it goes stale.I wish Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker would reunite for another movie.

Simps
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Perhaps but I doubt it. It seems more like a director/editor/studio thing.
Apatow certainly has a lot of pull with regards to extras on DVDs of films he produces.

My beef with the extended cuts is that they come with the versions with more/better extras. So if I want the good bonus material, I have to get the longer cut. If it's offered via seamless branching, that's one thing, but making it a separate release is weak.

nick maynard
05-22-2008, 11:18 PM
how is he ruining film comedy if it's just his movies?

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 03:08 AM
I had this conversation today, and I thought I'd post my thoughts here for you guys's feedback.

Ever since "40 Year Old Virgin" people have been proclaiming Judd Apatow as the savior of comedy.

I disagree.

Now, this is not to say I don't like Judd Apatow movies. In fact, I've seen just about everyone since "The Cable Guy" theatrically, and loved them.

The problem is with the "UNRATED DVD EXTENDED EDITIONS". Now, Judd didn't create this genre, but I feel he's abused it to make his movies weaker. The timing on all of his DVD editions is terrible, scenes drag, and it really makes the movies weaker. Sadly, these are the editions most people see, because the idea of seeing "SCENES TOO RAW FOR THEATERS" grab people's attention, and the theatrical cut DVDs are usually bare-bones, so people usually end up seeing and remembering these editions.

You know what's a great comedy? Ghostbusters. Why? 104 minutes. Perfect.

-Steve!

I think the only people who are calling him the "savior" of comedy are comic book fanboys.
I don't know anyone beyond sites like this who even knows who he is or even remembers films like Superbad and Foregtting Sarah Marshall

Donal DeLay
05-23-2008, 03:15 AM
"UNRATED DVD EXTENDED EDITIONS". Now, Judd didn't create this genre, but I feel he's abused it to make his movies weaker.

This. This is where I stopped reading.

:no:

My brain hurts now.

danlomb
05-23-2008, 03:22 AM
I think the only people who are calling him the "savior" of comedy are comic book fanboys.
I don't know anyone beyond sites like this who even knows who he is or even remembers films like Superbad and Foregtting Sarah Marshall

No way, he was on Jon Stewart last week or--

...okay I'm seeing your point.

bartleby
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM

I get that you don't like him at all, but to pretend like his movies just have a small cultish audience of only comic book fanboys is completely ludicrous.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I get that you don't like him at all, but to pretend like his movies just have a small cultish audience of only comic book fanboys is completely ludicrous.

I never said his films have a "small cultish audience of only comic book fanboys", (that's Whedon, not Apatow) I said that I don't know anyone beyond comic book fans who actually remember his name or his films...
I get you like him a lot, but to pretend that his name is a household name or a box office boost in and by itself is completely ludicrous

JoeE
05-23-2008, 03:48 AM
So we've still got the Epic Movie/Meet the Spartans crew churning out two movies a year, and you picked Judd Apatow as the guy who is ruining comedy?

TheTravis!
05-23-2008, 03:51 AM
I never said his films have a "small cultish audience of only comic book fanboys", (that's Whedon, not Apatow) I said that I don't know anyone beyond comic book fans who actually remember his name or his films...

Then I'm guessing you don't really know anyone beyond comic book fans, because you are incredibly wrong.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
So we've still got the Epic Movie/Meet the Spartans crew churning out two movies a year, and you picked Judd Apatow as the guy who is ruining comedy?

Apatow isn't "ruining" or "saving" comedy.
He just found a comfy comedy niche, but even that is already growing stale, judging by the grosses of all 3 "Apatow films" after Superbad...

cPol
05-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Film comedy was already begging for its life when that unfunny fucktard Will Ferrell started getting starring roles.

majorjoe23
05-23-2008, 04:18 AM

The 40 Year Old Virgin's theatrical cut was released only in full screen at first. It took awhile for it to finally be released in widescreen. So the choice was a DVD that dragged in the correct aspect ratio or a funny movie that was visually mangled.

dEnny!
05-23-2008, 04:27 AM

-Steve!

Now which movies of his are you including in this "near perfection" comment?

Talledega Nights SUCKED.
Anchorman had potential, but Will Farrell ruined so many jokes.

I have no interest in Dewey Cox, but would like to see Knocked Up and Superbad.

Akira
05-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Exactly. This argument is silly. If you like the theatrical version then there is nothing stopping you from being able to watch it over and over again.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 04:49 AM

-Steve!

LOL!!!

I bet there will be a lot of Apatow-fanboys all of a sudden proclaiming how Zohan is "an actually decent Sandler film"
People should just like what they like, whether it's Sandler, or Brett Ratner or Apatow or whatever, fuck the critics and enjoy what you enjoy without worrying about being part of the cool crowd or what the critics consider "good".

bartleby
05-23-2008, 04:53 AM
People should just like what they like, whether it's Sandler, or Brett Ratner or Apatow or whatever, fuck the critics and enjoy what you enjoy without worrying about being part of the cool crowd or what the critics consider "good".

And yet you seem to have a big problem with people liking anything by Apatow or Whedon.

bartleby
05-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Then I'm guessing you don't really know anyone beyond comic book fans, because you are incredibly wrong.

I'm not even seeing where there's this strong connection between being a comic book fanboy and liking Judd Apatow movies. What am I missing? I can understand with Whedon, but I just don't get what he's talking about here.

TheTravis!
05-23-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm not even seeing where there's this strong connection between being a comic book fanboy and liking Judd Apatow movies. What am I missing?

The argument makes no sense to me, either.

majorjoe23
05-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Now which movies of his are you including in this "near perfection" comment?

Talledega Nights SUCKED.
Anchorman had potential, but Will Farrell ruined so many jokes.

I have no interest in Dewey Cox, but would like to see Knocked Up and Superbad.

Apatow seems to make two kinds of films, the silly comedies like Talledega/Anchorman/Walk Hard and the guy rom coms like 40 Year Old Virgin/Knocked up/Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I know which category Zohan falls into, and which one Pineapple Express is closer to (maybe no romance, except love of weed), and I know which one I'll be seeing.

Akira
05-23-2008, 05:28 AM
LOL!!!

I bet there will be a lot of Apatow-fanboys all of a sudden proclaiming how Zohan is "an actually decent Sandler film"

It's funny that you would say this when you're the one pigeonholing fans into groups. Just sayin

Thomas Mauer
05-23-2008, 06:04 AM
I wish Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker would reunite for another movie.

I do too sometimes. Then I cry myself to sleep.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Speaking of Apatow...what the heck happened to The Farrelly Bros?

Akira
05-23-2008, 06:13 AM
I do too sometimes. Then I cry myself to sleep.

...When you realize that since the 90s they've been involved in Rat Race, and Scary Movies 3-5?

I know it makes me cry...

Thomas Mauer
05-23-2008, 06:18 AM
...When you realize that since the 90s they've been involved in Rat Race, and Scary Movies 3-5?

I know it makes me cry...

They were?

WHERE'S MY TISSUE BOX AND NAPPY BLANKET?!

(I haven't seen any of these.)

THWIP!
05-23-2008, 06:19 AM
And yet you seem to have a big problem with people liking anything by Apatow or Whedon.

Dude! Every single time. Just ignore him. Like I've said before this guy doesn't like Whedon and Apatow because you like him and that's the only way he can get to you for making fun of his precious romantic Comedies.

Burgos. I'd put you on ignore if you didn't make me laugh so much.

bartleby
05-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Dude! Every single time. Just ignore him. Like I've said before this guy doesn't like Whedon and Apatow because you like him and that's the only way he can get to you for making fun of his precious romantic Comedies.

Burgos. I'd put you on ignore if you didn't make me laugh so much.

I don't ignore people just because they don't agree with me.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't ignore people just because they don't agree with me.

Wow.

Dude, I am serious when I say this: I have gained a lot whole of respect for you today.
Yes, I always have had a problem with how harsh and condescending you come across sometimes, but I have to agree with the whole notion of not ignoring a poster that doesn't agree with one.

I mostly disagree with a lot of your posts, but I still like to read your insights about the Hollywood box office machine and the industry in general (In my opinion, you could be a lot nicer when you go about it, that's all...lol)
And BTW< I don't dislike Whedon and Apatow because you like them (that's ludicrous of TWHIP to assume), I dislike them cuz in my opinion, they are grossly overrated, and not very funny overall, just my opinion

THWIP!
05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Wow.

Dude, I am serious when I say this: I have gained a lot whole of respect for you today.
Yes, I always have had a problem with how harsh and condescending you come across sometimes, but I have to agree with the whole notion of not ignoring a poster that doesn't agree with one.

I mostly disagree with a lot of your posts, but I still like to read your insights about the Hollywood box office machine and the industry in general (In my opinion, you could be a lot nicer when you go about it, that's all...lol)
And BTW< I don't dislike Whedon and Apatow because you like them (that's ludicrous of TWHIP to assume), I dislike them cuz in my opinion, they are grossly overrated, and not very funny overall, just my opinion

It's not ludicrous for me to assume that you hate Whedon and Apatow because Bart likes them because whenever he does bash stuff you like your natural reaction is to attack them, along with Kristen Bell and other things.

bartleby
05-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Wow.

I find conversations with people who disagree with me to be far more engaging than those with people who agree with me.

And for anyone who wants to chalk this up to being a symptom of the anonymity of the internet, I've been doing the same thing in the real world for just as long as I've been on the internet.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM
It's not ludicrous for me to assume that you hate Whedon and Apatow because Bart likes them because whenever he does bash stuff you like your natural reaction is to attack them, along with Kristen Bell and other things.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax, it's just movies. I overreacted to his attacks, true, and I am working on it. They are just films he just happened to dislike (but he came off as a bit condescending towards FANS of those films, as opposed to just attacking the films themselves, that's all...)

But no, Bell is still a terrible actres, and that isn't opinion :mrgreen:

Shwicaz
05-23-2008, 06:54 AM
i have never seen a judd apatow show or movie.

I am an anomoly.

Tom Burgos
05-23-2008, 06:56 AM

I am an anomoly.

You are not missing much, in my opinion.

Except for Freaks And Geeks.
That was a brilliant TV show.

Nothing's he's done ever since even compares...

THWIP!
05-23-2008, 06:56 AM

I am an anomoly.

No, you're Shwicaz.

Albert
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Apatow seems to make two kinds of films, the silly comedies like Talledega/Anchorman/Walk Hard and the guy rom coms like 40 Year Old Virgin/Knocked up/Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I know which category Zohan falls into, and which one Pineapple Express is closer to (maybe no romance, except love of weed), and I know which one I'll be seeing.

Talladega and Anchorman were much more Adam McKay and Will Ferrell than Apatow.

Akira
05-23-2008, 08:48 AM
You are not missing much, in my opinion.

Except for Freaks And Geeks.
That was a brilliant TV show.

Nothing's he's done ever since even compares...

I guess you didn't hear that he's one of the producers of the upcoming Spider-Woman TV show.

LenNWallace
05-23-2008, 08:52 AM

They were never funny and people finally began to catch on...

You could not be anymore wronger on that one, good sir.

Albert
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM

They had a movie last fall - The Heartbreak Kid. Their big re-teaming with Ben Stiller! It bombed here (and was reviled by critics), but made a fairly impressive amount in foreign box offices.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=heartbreakkid.htm

Skatonic10
05-23-2008, 09:03 AM
The extended versions usually come from the studios, not the director. They're a marketing ploy, and that's about it. Can't blame that on Apatow.

Dreaded Anomaly
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Go visit the university of your choice. 90% of students there will at least recognize the name Superbad.

Also, we had a screening of FSM at my university, which sold out to the point that we couldn't fit anyone else in the room without violating the fire code.

But she's a great actress! :)

TheTravis!
05-23-2008, 11:03 AM

I've never seen her in anything except Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and she was brilliant in that.

I'm starting to think that the "Knowing Shit About Spider-Woman" part of your brain ate the "Knowing Shit About Anything That Isn't Spider-Woman" part.

NickT
05-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I dislike those unrated cuts for comedies too, if only because they devalue the movie somewhat as they are basically marketing it on "Look, stuff that was too rude for cinemas!".

Don't know who would be to blame though.