PDA

View Full Version : "Scrubs"- JD & The Janitor.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-22-2008, 06:42 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine a few minutes ago, and she said that for at least thefirst half of the first season, JD is the only person who interacts with The Janitor, so he was originally just supposed to be a figment of his imagination, a physical representation of his own doubts and fears, and that this was only dropped when the character proved to be such a big hit with fan. Is this true?

Rod Nunley
05-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Bill Lawrence (creator of the show) has said that this is true. The reason was that if the show had been canceled early on he was going to have JD snap and have a metal break down and then you'd learn that the janitor never really existed.

Pretty awesome I think.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Bill Lawrence (creator of the show) has said that this is true. The reason was that if the show had been canceled early on he was going to have JD snap and have a metal break down and then you'd learn that the janitor never really existed.

Pretty awesome I think.

It's a great idea, but I would have kept it going for the entire run of the show. Would have been a nice reveal in the last ever episode.

Icaruss
05-22-2008, 06:58 AM
No, people would've figured it out early on, and him interacting just with JD would've gotten old fast. He's too good a character to get rid off, so they did the right thing. But I do agree that it would've been cool if the show got cancelled in the first season.

danlomb
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
No, people would've figured it out early on, and him interacting just with JD would've gotten old fast. He's too good a character to get rid off, so they did the right thing. But I do agree that it would've been cool if the show got cancelled in the first season.

Agreed. Some of my favourite episodes are when the Janitor teams up with other cast members.

Very interesting fact, I must say.

silverboy
05-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Yup.

Ash Holt
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
The Brain Trust is Great!

silverboy
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
The Brain Trust is Great!

:no: One of my least favorite developments of the show.

Ben
05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Actually, the Janitor is still in JD's head and is a figment of his imagination. It's just that the Janitor's also a figment of everyone else's imagination, too.

EdNEMO
05-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I like Dr. Jan I Tor

Rod Nunley
05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Actually, the Janitor is still in JD's head and is a figment of his imagination. It's just that the Janitor's also a figment of everyone else's imagination, too.

:no:

Benel Germosen
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Wrench-kniiiiiiiife!

Buk Was Right
"You're a FIREMAN...What're we doing?"

Buk Was Right
Wrench-kniiiiiiiife!

KnifeWreeeeeeeeeeeeeeench!

It's for kids!

Rod Nunley
05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Do you know how to play jigglyball?

Albert
05-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Ah, to be young and in shorts.

morlock with a day pass
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
i will never understand all the scrubs hate out there. someone explain?

silverboy
05-22-2008, 08:35 AM
i will never understand all the scrubs hate out there. someone explain?

It's gotte npretty bad the past couple of years.

Ben
05-22-2008, 08:36 AM
i will never understand all the scrubs hate out there. someone explain?Maybe confusion over why JD continues to date women despite being gay.

JimmyF1982
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM
my LCS owner looks and sounds exactly like the janitor but has never seen a single episode.

morlock with a day pass
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM
It's gotte npretty bad the past couple of years.

true but the show has never seemed to have gotten it's due.

Maybe confusion over why JD continues to date women despite being gay.

possibly although it's the funniest, slyest gag the show's ever done. also confusing? people acting like elliot is hotter than carla. :crazy:

Joe Kalicki
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM

possibly although it's the funniest, slyest gag the show's ever done. also confusing? people acting like elliot is hotter than carla. :crazy:

Elliot's the hottest girl on TV.

Congratulations on your 1,000th post.

aj110
05-22-2008, 09:04 AM
the janitor was not only originally a figment of JD's imagination, he was only going to be in the pilot, but Bill Lawrence liked how he delivered the line "why a penny?" line he made him a recurring character.

Albert
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Here's another funny story, gang, the Janitor's favorite item from the catering table is tuna sandwiches.

Joe Kalicki
05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Here's another funny story, gang, the Janitor's favorite item from the catering table is tuna sandwiches.

Oh Albert. Sometimes it feels like you're my imaginary comic relief janitor.

morlock with a day pass
05-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Elliot's the hottest girl on TV.

Congratulations on your 1,000th post.

thanks, joe!

HoldFastNow
05-25-2008, 07:03 AM
From IMDB:

"Through the first season, the cast and crew, especially writer/creator Bill Lawrence, were so sure that the series would be canceled by the end of the season, that a plot twist was created for use when they'd have a forced series finale. This plot twist noted the fact that the Janitor, Neil Flynn's character, never directly spoke nor was spoken to by any other character than JD, Zach Braff's character. Therefore, the Janitor would be a complete figment of JD's imagination. This idea was kept up into the second season, still in fear of cancellation, until Flynn asked Lawrence to be able to finally interact with another actor on the series. (Although Elliot actually throws a cup at him in the 6th episode and sarcastically says "SORRY!", in episode 11 he gets punched on the balls by a little girl and in episode 15 the janitor teases the nurse with the vacuum cleaner)"

Foolish Mortal
05-25-2008, 07:12 AM

I know. It's insane. :crazy:

Doctor Goblipus
05-25-2008, 07:22 AM
JD: It looks benign

Janitor: Benign, Benign and a half