PDA

View Full Version : Add a Movie You Dig to My Queue

Criden
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
If I haven't seen it, I'll add it. Thanks!

sleep
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Box of Moon Light

Criden
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Box of Moon Light

Just looked it up. Is it honestly good?

allanpat
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Fear of a Black Hat

sleep
05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Just looked it up. Is it honestly good?

It's in my top ten. It's not the fastest-paced film in the world, but worth a view in my opinion.

Also (although you're more likely to have seen this one): Chungking Express

Gordon Chumway
The President's Analyst

Butler
Unknown

Criden
05-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Unknown

Ooh, that looks great. Thanks.

Oh, and I added yours, too, Sleep! Thanks.

ZombieSpeedball
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Run Lola Run

Brandon191
The Lookout.

Shwicaz
"Right At Your Door"

Have fun.

t00lverine
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Midnight Express

Gordon Chumway
Our Man Flint

(I'm a total James Coburn fan)

sleep
One more, if you haven't seen it: Trouble in Paradise.

Marcdachamp
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

THWIP!
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Brick.

I second The Lookout.

ZombieSpeedball
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Our Man Flint

(I'm a total James Coburn fan)

Hey Chumway, did you take the time to look at my drawing thread? You totally should.

Oh, and I recommend 50 Pills.

Criden
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Run Lola Run

Seen it, but thanks, bro.

Midnight Express

It's already on there!

The Lookout.

Was this really good?

"Right At Your Door"

Have fun.

Thanks. I already made sure it wasn't Russ Meyer. :)

One more, if you haven't seen it: Trouble in Paradise.

Thanks man. I haven't.

Criden
05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Seen it, but thanks my former fellow WNYer!

Brick.

I second The Lookout.

I already added Brick as per your rec' last night, man. And thanks.

Patrick J
05-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Attack the Gas Station!

Caley Tibbittz
Down With Love.

THWIP!
I already added Brick as per your rec' last night, man. And thanks.

I know. I wanted to make sure you did.

Kingsumo
05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
If you have not already seen it. The Machinest

Also
Kung fu hustle
coffee and cigerettes
Amelie

Marcdachamp
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Seen it, but thanks my former fellow WNYer!

No prob, man! How about Grandma's Boy? Easily one of my favorite stoner comedies ever, even if you don't smoke.

dasNdanger
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
The Hill (1965) - Sean Connery film.

Love it...

das

Andy Kuhn
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
i don't know when it comes out on dvd but i just saw IN BRUGES and it was awesome!
also, THE LOOKOUT is very good.

Brandon191
05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Seen it, but thanks, bro.

It's already on there!

Was this really good?

Thanks. I already made sure it wasn't Russ Meyer. :)

The Lookout was one of my favourite movies of last year. Ed Brubaker said it was one of his as well.

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Attack the Gas Station!

Added!

Down With Love.

Seen! Good flick. Thanks.

I know. I wanted to make sure you did.

Oh, I did. Worry not.

If you have not already seen it. The Machinest

Also
Kung fu hustle
coffee and cigerettes
Amelie

Always want to remember to see The Machinist. Thanks for the reminder. Oh, and the others I've seen. Thanks.

No prob, man! How about Grandma's Boy? Easily one of my favorite stoner comedies ever, even if you don't smoke.

Seen! Not my cup of tea (or puff of joint, as it were) but I can see the appeal. Just not for me is all. Thanks though.

J Money
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Smoke Signals

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
The Hill (1965) - Sean Connery film.

Love it...

das

Seen!

i don't know when it comes out on dvd but i just saw IN BRUGES and it was awesome!
also, THE LOOKOUT is very good.

Added! Looks like it's out 6/24. Thanks. Psyched for Firebreather!

The Lookout was one of my favourite movies of last year. Ed Brubaker said it was one of his as well.
Thanks man. I haven't.

Awesome. I just hadn't really heard of it. What are you thanking me for? :)

PhilipClark
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Box of Moon Light

I'll vouch for that one.

Also, 11:14

TheHanna
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Layer Cake
Thank You for Smoking
Dr. Strangelove

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Smoke Signals

Looks super-interesting. Added! Thanks.

I'll vouch for that one.

Also, 11:14

Hi Philip. I looked up 11:14 and it looks just awesome. I love Clark Gregg. Thanks man.

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Layer Cake
Thank You for Smoking
Dr. Strangelove

Seen 'em. But thanks. I saw TYFS on my first date with my girlfriend of two years. :)

Marcdachamp
05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Seen! Not my cup of tea (or puff of joint, as it were) but I can see the appeal. Just not for me is all. Thanks though.

It's cool. On the flip side of drug-related films, Requiem for a Dream is chilling and really powerful.

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
It's cool. On the flip side of drug-related films, Requiem for a Dream is chilling and really powerful.

Thanks man. As for RFAD: Oh, yeah. I've seen it. I think I can only watch it once. Incredible film.

ZombieSpeedball
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Dude, seriously, 50 Pills.

And Equilibrium.

Criden
05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Dude, seriously, 50 Pills.

And Equilibrium.

Somehow I forgot to check 50 Pills. Did now; looks cool. Added both! Thanks.

Andy Kuhn
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Psyched for Firebreather!

me too, thanks!

Marcdachamp
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks man. As for RFAD: Oh, yeah. I've seen it. I think I can only watch it once. Incredible film.

Agreed. Damn though, man. Apparently my movie taste is fairly mainstream. :lol:

Darkhawk Fan
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
If you're up to checking out some Asian Cinema, I highly recommend:
-Fulltime Killer
-Wild Zero
-Memories of Murder

ZombieSpeedball
05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Pervert! is an alright B-movie. Plus, lots of boob.

Andreas
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
A Summer's Tale (1996)

LenNWallace
05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
The complete first and second seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia.

bradical
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
once.

Modok Gas
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
October Sky
Bicycle Thief

(Actually... I don't recommend renting "Bicycle Thief" from Netflix. I have some many stupid recommendations that I still get from that one rental that I made over 3 years ago).

Patton
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
House of Games

JesterPepper?
05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Happiness.

TheHanna
05-15-2008, 04:28 PM
-Fulltime Killer
-Wild Zero
-Memories of Murder

To quote Jack Black's character from High Fidelity, that's so good it should have been mine. :)

OH! I forgot about Sars Wars. Check it-completely ridiculous.

Doctor Goblipus
05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Theres this Ryan Renyolds movie called The Nines that I thought was really great.

Pigpen
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Copycat.

Uther
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
The Child.

It might be listed under L'Enfant.

chazbot
05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Into the Wild

Just saw it this weekend and absolutely loved it. Alexander Supertramp!

Casali
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
The Conversation

Brandon191
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Seen!

Added! Looks like it's out 6/24. Thanks. Psyched for Firebreather!

Awesome. I just hadn't really heard of it. What are you thanking me for? :)

Just a little editing mistake. :D

Agent Desmond
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

morlock with a day pass
05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
breaking away

King of Mars
05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?.

http://cdn-3.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/60032233.jpg

LordKinbote
05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Question for you:

Twice, people have recommended movies to you in this thread, and you have responded with "Is this really good?"

What do you expect people to say? "No, I actually hate the movie, but I like picking movies that will people will add to their queue so that they'll waste a good couple of hours."

niceguyeddie
05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
"Right At Your Door"

Have fun.

that's out on dvd already??
i was looking forward to seeing it and i guess i just missed it.

niceguyeddie
05-15-2008, 08:40 PM
breaking news, city lights.

Patton
05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Question for you:

Twice, people have recommended movies to you in this thread, and you have responded with "Is this really good?"

What do you expect people to say? "No, I actually hate the movie, but I like picking movies that will people will add to their queue so that they'll waste a good couple of hours."

He might think people are just messing with him, trying to make him put a crappy movie on his list. It's actually more likely than not on this board.

NeverWanderer
05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Zero Effect

Mirrormask

The Nephew

The Kingdom

The Thing From Another World

nick maynard
05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
the rage of placid lake

joespam
05-16-2008, 03:11 AM
In My Father's Den.

It's a New Zealand film from 2004.

Synopsis: "A disillusioned war journalist's return home is blighted when he becomes implicated in the mysterious disappearance of a teenage girl he has befriended."

It's a wonderful punch in the stomach kind of film; like a Pat Conroy novel or a Mystic River/Gone Baby Gone.

joespam
05-16-2008, 03:35 AM
I'd also recommend Cypher (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284978/).

"An unsuspecting, disenchanted man finds himself working as a spy in the dangerous, high-stakes world of corporate espionage. Quickly getting way over-his-head, he teams up with a mysterious femme fatale."

A weird little mindfuck of a film with a great sense of paranoia. Plus, Lucy Liu is the femme fatale.

Blandy vs Terrorism
05-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Universal Soldier

Gavin
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM
The Naked City

siren3-4
05-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Niagara, Niagara

Glengary, Glennross

U-Turn

joespam
05-16-2008, 04:35 AM
Niagara, Niagara

Glengary, Glennross

U-TurnYou broke the pattern with U-Turn - your third film should have been 'Author, Author.'

Rafiennes
05-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Heist

Uther
05-16-2008, 05:19 AM
You broke the pattern with U-Turn - your third film should have been 'Author, Author.'

Or Tora! Tora! Tora!

In My Father's Den.

Synopsis: "A disillusioned war journalist's return home is blighted when he becomes implicated in the mysterious disappearance of a teenage girl he has befriended."

It's a wonderful punch in the stomach kind of film; like a Pat Conroy novel or a Mystic River/Gone Baby Gone.
Seconded.
Probably the second best feature to come out of New Zealand in fifteen or so years.

joespam
05-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Or Tora! Tora! Tora!

Seconded.
Probably the second best feature to come out of New Zealand in fifteen or so years.
What's the first best?

Rafiennes
05-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Check out The Tin Star
Western with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins
Cool B&W noir Western directed by the great Anthony Mann

Criden
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
-Fulltime Killer
-Wild Zero
-Memories of Murder

I definitely am. Wild Zero wasn't available, but the other two are, so I added 'em. Thanks!

Pervert! is an alright B-movie. Plus, lots of boob.

If it's just alright I think I'm going to pass, my Bendis Board little brother. I'd rather stick with stuff people consider A-material. Lots of boob isn't really something I look for in a movie. Actually, I'm one of those lame-os who thinks nudity is rarely used in a well-considered way in movies. Thanks for trying, though--sincerely.

A Summer's Tale (1996)

Any recommendation from Andreas is obviously a great one. Just added this to the queue. Thanks! (Oh, and do I have to watch the other films in the series first?)

The complete first and second seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia.

Seen 'em. I loved season one and hated season two. I thought it got super-stupid and way worse with the second season. Also, I've been watching mostly TV on DVD for the last two years. I want to get back into movies. Hence the thread title. :)

once.

Oh, I really wanted to see that, and just simply forgot about it. Thanks brad! Glad to see you changed your name back!

October Sky
Bicycle Thief

(Actually... I don't recommend renting "Bicycle Thief" from Netflix. I have some many stupid recommendations that I still get from that one rental that I made over 3 years ago).

I have BBuster Online so I should be alright on that front. I've seen--and loved--October Sky, so I'll just go with Bicycle Thief. Thanks man.

House of Games

Always wanted to see this and never remember to add it to the queue. Much appreciated, Mr. Patton. Thank you.

Happiness.

I'm a little hesitant about adding this. Is it graphically super-violent or ultra-disturbing in some way? I'll be watching all of these with my girlfriend and if it is, I'd rather spare her. I think I heard it was, but if I'm way-off, I apologize.

To quote Jack Black's character from High Fidelity, that's so good it should have been mine. :)

OH! I forgot about Sars Wars. Check it-completely ridiculous.

Added--thanks!

Theres this Ryan Renyolds movie called The Nines that I thought was really great.

Ooh, I really wanted to see that but forgot all about it. I added it. Thanks man!

Copycat.

Worried about extreme violence if I watch this with my girl. Is it super-violent? Thanks.

The Child.

It might be listed under L'Enfant.

Added. Thanks Uthie!

Into the Wild

Just saw it this weekend and absolutely loved it. Alexander Supertramp!

Oh, I was interested in that. I added it. Thanks man!

The Conversation

Looks fantastic--added it. Thanks!

Just a little editing mistake. :D

Gotcha.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Looks very cool, added it. Thanks!

breaking away

Added. Thanks!

Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?.

http://cdn-3.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/60032233.jpg

Oh, huh. Looks really interesting. I added it. Thanks!

Question for you:

Yes, I honestly do think that. At the time, it was a pretty new thread and I wasn't sure if people were going to take it in a serious or jokey direction. You've been on this board for a long time. You know those could have easily been jokey recommendations to me as someone who hadn't heard of them.

that's out on dvd already??
i was looking forward to seeing it and i guess i just missed it.

I'm psyched to see it. Thanks again, Ron!

breaking news, city lights.

Those look great--I added both! Thanks man!

He might think people are just messing with him, trying to make him put a crappy movie on his list. It's actually more likely than not on this board.

Exactly. Thank you for saying it better than I could, Patton.

Zero Effect

Mirrormask

The Nephew

The Kingdom

The Thing From Another World

Seen, loved. Hate. Added. Seen, liked. Added. Thanks man!

the rage of placid lake

Looks really neat. Added! Thanks man!

In My Father's Den.

Oh, sounds superb. I hate MR/GBG but that's okay, this sounds really great. I added it! Thanks!

I'd also recommend Cypher (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284978/).

"An unsuspecting, disenchanted man finds himself working as a spy in the dangerous, high-stakes world of corporate espionage. Quickly getting way over-his-head, he teams up with a mysterious femme fatale."

A weird little mindfuck of a film with a great sense of paranoia. Plus, Lucy Liu is the femme fatale.

Looks great; added! Thanks man!

Universal Soldier

Not really my speed, but thanks.

The Naked City

Looks awesome. I added it! Thanks!

Niagara, Niagara

Glengary, Glennross

U-Turn

Seen GG, loved it. The other two look great though. I added them both! Thanks a ton!

Heist

Just added it to the queue the other day. Thanks, though! I'm looking forward to the day when I've seen enough movies to understand your sig.

Criden
05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Bump!

JesterPepper?
05-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm a little hesitant about adding this. Is it graphically super-violent or ultra-disturbing in some way? I'll be watching all of these with my girlfriend and if it is, I'd rather spare her. I think I heard it was, but if I'm way-off, I apologize.

It's a very disturbing movie, but not traditionally so. The filmmaker, Todd Solondz, is able to disturb without being entirely obvious (OK, maybe the child molester story's kinda obvious... otherwise...). And whenever something disturbing comes up, you're also laughing pretty hard (at least in my case). I think the main thing that makes people uneasy about this movie is how it doesn't glamorize human beings while at the same time it doesn't make us 2-Dimensional. The last scene, however insignificant it could've been in another movie, is oddly one of the most heartwarming I've ever seen (some people might think I'm weird, but I'm actually getting a little teary thinking about it).

But, yes, it definitely won't appeal to everyone. If you're still unsure about it, maybe rent Solondz's earlier, tamer film Welcome to the Dollhouse. It'll give you some idea what to expect from Happiness.

niceguyeddie
05-18-2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.lacuracao.com/images/products/908/155442-3-1-99.36B-G30-WARD114362D.JPG (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Coleccion_Pedro_Infante_Nosotros_Los_Pobres/70062888?trkid=174833)
mexican flick but good stuff.

yeah, i don't know what to say.

oh!...

http://www.impawards.com/1985/posters/gymkata.jpg (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Gymkata/70059465?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=26608022_0_0)

LordKinbote
05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Have you seen "Night Moves"? One of the best scripts of a movie ever, in my humble opinion.

NeverWanderer
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Narc - Very dark, unflinching, EXCELLENT cop docudrama. Possibly Ray Liota's best performance.

19bernardo87
05-18-2008, 05:45 PM
"Add a Movie [color=red]You Dig[/red] to My Queue"

Holes?

Andreas
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Any recommendation from Andreas is obviously a great one. Just added this to the queue. Thanks! (Oh, and do I have to watch the other films in the series first?)

No, you don't have to watch the other films first. They're like meditations about falling in and out of love at various periods in your life, for which he uses the four seasons in the obvious way. They weren't even made in the chronology you'd expect and they don't share any of the characters.

My favorite is An Autumn Tale (1998 ) about people in their mid-Forties. There's a certain maturity in the way they approach the idea of a partnership and you don't have all the insecurities of youth. But I didn't find it on Netflix. A Summer's Tale (1996) is about a guy in his early Twenties going on a holiday and waiting for his girlfriend to arrive. And then he encounters two young women and becomes attracted to them and suddenly his life becomes very complicated. It's probably the lightest of the "Four Seasons" cycle and a good introduction to Eric Rohmer. That one or Pauline at the Beach (1983).

I don't know if you've seen anything by Rohmer yet. Of the movies by Rohmer available at Netflix I'd also recommend A Tale of Springtime (1989), Claire's Knee (1971), Summer (1986, not part of the "Four Seasons" cycle), and A Good Marriage (1981). The latter three are a bit more serious and you probably enjoy the formal aspects and the filmmaking more when you've already seen one or two of his movies and gained a certain understanding what to expect.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Andreas

Petey Parker
05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Tokyo Godfathers

mec
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
3 Billy Wilder noirs:

Double Indemnity
Sunset Boulevard
Ace in the Hole

A couple from John Sayles:

Lone Star
Limbo

Mr. Sean
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
House of Fools

GelfXIII
05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Suspira

Whip
05-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Malena
Notes on a Scandal
Little Miss Sunshine

stevapalooza
05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
If you haven't already, check out the original Taking of Pelham 123 before fathead Travolta ruins it forever.

Rosemary's Baby
05-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Exiled
Band of Outsiders
The Violin (one of my favorite movies, it comes out on the 27th)

mattbrand
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Coffee and Cigarettes.

Butler
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
"Add a Movie [color=red]You Dig[/red] to My Queue"

Holes?

Is Holes good? LaBoeuf's in that right?

Rafiennes
05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm looking forward to the day when I've seen enough movies to understand your sig.

http://hypem.com/track/456625

hopefully this will explain it

Kedd
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Irreversible. It's a french flick, subtitled. worth watching at least twice. There are two very very very disturbing scenes. the first happens early on, the second is toward the middle of the movie and I cannot watch it.

BenH
05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
City of God. It's brazilian and subtitled, but excellent.

copypastepuke
05-19-2008, 09:53 AM
a documentary called TV PARTY

copypastepuke
05-19-2008, 09:54 AM
City of God. It's brazilian and subtitled, but excellent.yes it is.

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
The Kingdom (the Lars von trier series. Fantastic stuff)
Inland Empire (David Lynch flick from a few years ago. Just saw this last week. you need to experience this movie.)
Also rent Wild at Heart if you haven't seen it yet. (Which you might not like the first time you see it, but surely will grow on you as you watch it again and again.)
Paths of Glory (the Kubrick movie you really need to see.)
Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro (which you've probably seen)
Brazil (which you've also probably seen.)
Little Dieter Needs to Fly and Grizzly Man (Two four star Herzog docs. you need to experience these as well.)

CapnChaos
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
The Guns of Navarone

Brian Defferding
05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
The Exorcist III

Akira
05-19-2008, 10:18 AM
The original Wicker Man with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee

Akira
05-19-2008, 10:19 AM
The Exorcist III

FuCK YEAH! :rock:

joespam
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
City of God. It's brazilian and subtitled, but excellent.I'll second that. Up there in the top ten gangster films.

Brian Defferding
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
FuCK YEAH! :rock:

We have so much in common, I swear, you are like a Philadelphia version of me or something. It's almost scary, but in a good way :D