PDA

View Full Version : So did California just legalize gay maraige?

Jason California
05-15-2008, 09:15 AM
THat is what it sounded like to me on TV just a second ago.

Jim.
05-15-2008, 09:19 AM
California Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional. Is the breaking news on CNN right now.

HOOKS
Yarp.

Ryan F
Yep.

Good & Evil
05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
From what I understood the legislature passed a bill legalizing gay marrige but still needs to get pass the governator. Similar bills had been passed but been vetoed by the governor.

Jason California
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Well OK then.

Ben
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Activist judges!

Ryan F
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
From what I understood the legislature passed a bill legalizing gay marrige but still needs to get pass the governator. Similar bills had been passed but been vetoed by the governor.

Yes, the California legislature is the only state legislature to ever vote to legalize gay marriage, but Ahnold keeps vetoing.

But, now the California Supreme Court has (probably) made it a moot point.

Brian Defferding
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Yay for California gays!

Ryan F
05-15-2008, 09:30 AM
There will probably be an amendment to the State Constitution to ban gay marriage on the November ballot (which would trump today's court ruling). I have no idea whether it would pass or not.

Ray G.
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Awesome!

Of course, this means that the GOP can now wave it as a wedge issue, which means I need to go back to being ashamed of my party now.

Jef UK
05-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Good for Cali!

Jason California
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
This is going to make a lot of people travel plans that much easier.

Marc Lombardi
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I think I just heard the cheering from San Francisco all the way here.

Marc Lombardi
05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Also, this can only make Pat Loika's life exponentially more interesting.

Xander Boune
05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Terrific news

Kingsumo
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
That is awesome. Hopefully it will stick as well.

Kedd
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I think I just heard the cheering from San Francisco all the way here.

yeah, sorry, I get a little over excited sometimes

Jason California
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
That is awesome. Hopefully it will stick as well.

*insert crude joke about sticky substance*

Kingsumo
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
*insert crude joke about sticky substance*

I would think that would be more for the honeymoon. :D

Xander Boune
05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Yes, the California legislature is the only state legislature to ever vote to legalize gay marriage, but Ahnold keeps vetoing.

Schwarzenegger today: "I respect the Courtís decision and as Governor, I will uphold its ruling. Also, as I have said in the past, I will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."

Ben
05-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Schwarzenegger today: "I respect the Courtís decision and as Governor, I will uphold its ruling. Also, as I have said in the past, I will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."Guess that's it.

Kind of funny that the gay marriages will be allowed b/c the people that wrote the Constitution didn't think to specifically exclude it. Not in their wildest imaginations did they think this would ever be an issue.

Marc Lombardi
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Schwarzenegger today: "I respect the Courtís decision and as Governor, I will uphold its ruling. Also, as I have said in the past, I will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."
And then after that he said: "QUICK!!! GET TO THE CHOPPAH!!!! DAY-NUHHHHHH!!!! HOLD ON TO DADDY!!!!! AUUUGHAAAHAAAAHHHHHH!"

Jakestar
05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
There will probably be an amendment to the State Constitution to ban gay marriage on the November ballot (which would trump today's court ruling). I have no idea whether it would pass or not.

This reminded me of a documentary I watched a yr or so back.. about some crazy ppl from Kansas or somewhere near that demonstrating stating that god hates gays...

I thought they were insane, but it seems alot of ppl share that view (tho obv to a lesser extent than to say they hates gays..) :scared:

Ryan F
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Yeah, he's always been okay with gay marriage, but he's vetoed the gay marriage bill on the grounds that it conflicts with a previous proposition.

I think the Amendment could still pass without him (it's being done through a proposition), as the previous proposition passed. Working against the amendment are the facts that 1) there will be actual marriages it is overturning by that point, 2) opinions are changing rapidly on gay marriage, 3) people are much more reluctant to amend Constitutions, 4) it looks to be a high Democratic turnout in November, and 5) it may not even make the ballot.

Kingsumo
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Guess that's it.

Kind of funny that the gay marriages will be allowed b/c the people that wrote the Constitution didn't think to specifically exclude it. Not in their wildest imaginations did they think this would ever be an issue.

I fail to see what it is such an issue now.

This reminded me of a documentary I watched a yr or so back.. about some crazy ppl from Kansas or somewhere near that demonstrating stating that god hates gays...

I thought they were insane, but it seems alot of ppl share that view (tho obv to a lesser extent than to say they hates gays..) :scared:

Sadly, there are still a lot of people here who are afraid gays will somehow.. Well, I am not sure actually what they think will happen. But yeah, it is very sad.

But then, as the nice people from West Virginia were nice enough to point out the other day, a lot of people will not vote for Obama, cause he is black.

*sigh*

Jason California
05-15-2008, 10:43 AM

We have this one church group that goes and demonstrates at dead soldiers funerals among others saying this is what happens to us because we let gays in our society.

They just got hit with a major lawsuit settlement that has bancrupted them and or now asking for mercy.

HOOKS
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I wonder if the Westboro Baptist Church is going to picket the entire state now.

Thudpucker
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Good for him. He really is turning out to be an excellent Governor over all it seems.

Jakestar
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
We have this one church group that goes and demonstrates at dead soldiers funerals among others saying this is what happens to us because we let gays in our society.

They just got hit with a major lawsuit settlement that has bancrupted them and or now asking for mercy.

Yeh that was them... ah thats good that they finally got held accountable!

Gregory
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
This lets gays into my secret marriage club?

Harumph!

Skatonic10
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM

A few years ago, there was a proposition outlawing gay marrige, which was voted on by the voters in CA. It passed by a large margin, which is probably why the Governator keeps vetoing.

I'm sure that now that the CA Supreme Court has ruled on it, it will be brought the the US Supreme Court.

Ryan F
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Good for him. He really is turning out to be an excellent Governor over all it seems.

Not really. He got elected because of a budget crisis, and that crisis has only gotten worse during his term.

Also, there's not really anything he could have done about this Court decision anyway, so I'm not all that impressed by his statement. He could've signed the bill last year though.

He's not a disaster though.

Doc Randy
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm sure that now that the CA Supreme Court has ruled on it, it will be brought the the US Supreme Court.

It won't go to the US Supreme Court because the SCOTUS doesn't rule on State constitutional issues.

The only thing anybody can do to fight this would be to amend the California Constitution.

Ryan F
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
A few years ago, there was a proposition outlawing gay marrige, which was voted on by the voters in CA. It passed by a large margin, which is probably why the Governator keeps vetoing.

Yeah, I mentioned the proposition earlier.

I don't see on what grounds this would go to the Supreme Court. The California Supreme Court has just as much right to declare a proposition unconstitutional as it does any bill from the legislature. There are inter-state issues that the US Supreme Court probably needs to weigh in on, but I imagine those are already working their way through the system from the Massachusetts Supreme Court decision a few years ago.

Brian Defferding
05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
It won't go to the US Supreme Court because the SCOTUS doesn't rule on State constitutional issues.

Bingo. I think SCOTUS already ruled they have no authority to do so in respect of the 10th Amendment; happened only a few years ago, which is why we are hearing of these state gay marriage bills, state supreme court rulings on gay marriage, etc.

Akira
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Also, this can only make Pat Loika's life exponentially more interesting.

Conga lines around the block.

Keith P.
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Conga lines around the block.

Married people don't have sex!

Drkemerld73
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/yesitstom/golfclap.gif

Shwicaz
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Married people don't have sex!

hubby and I beg to differ.

congrats to california!

Tom Burgos
05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Awesome step in the right direction.

Whip
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Awesome.

I was just reading about Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia) who had died nearly exactly 2 weeks ago, and her statement where she mentioned sexual orientation should not be a deciding factor as to who should/shouldn't marry.

marvelboi77
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Now we just have to defeat the Amendment in November.:D

Zulithe
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Good job California!