PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU book TNA wrestling?

db8coach
05-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Who would you focus on, what would be your major storylines and pushes?

DAVE
05-15-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.searchairlineprices.com/airlines.html?gclid=COaR1fzkqJMCFRItxwod8yiDnw

You can go there, but I don't think TWA is booking flights anymore.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I've actually thought about this quite a lot, but it would be a long post, so I think I'll need a bit of time to think before I opened my mouth.

Kedd
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM
I haven't watched wrestling in so long that I don't even know who's still with the company

Gregory
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Shorthand: More cliques, less talking.

Establish the wily, small guys: Styles, Christian, Kaz, Dutt, Kim
Establish the monsters: Joe, Morgan, Hoyt, Tomko, Kong, Rhino
Establish the cheating heels: Roode, Storm, Team 3D, Steiner
Establish a legends roster with limited ring time (sparingly mix with the top three groups): Booker, Angle, Sting, Kip and BG James, Nash, Steiner
Establish a Chikara subgroup (keep separate): Curry Man, Shark Boy, Devine, Lethal, Williams, Hoyt and Rave, The Monsters, Eric Young

Let the ringwork sell the show, not the gimmicks and soap opera shit. The talent is there.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree with most of that post Gregory, but I think they need to move away from dumb gimmics like Lethals and Dutts.

Gregory
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree with most of that post Gregory, but I think they need to move away from dumb gimmics like Lethals and Dutts.

If you keep them within their own roster (like a comic ECW), they work OK. Dutt has been destroyed by gimmicks, whereas Lethal took off because he started aping macho. Last year, Dutt was their TV MVP; he stole every match and sold like a pro. He can hang with Styles if they let him.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 07:41 AM
And that is why I think they need to drop all the crap. These guys can prove out if they give them TV time and not be the "hey look, that guy is making fun of an 80s wrestler" attraction.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Plus, they need to stop treating AJ Styles as a joke. He was the guy that got TNA through their dark non-tv moments.

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Kill all the stupid gimmicks they have for every match and every segment. Focus on the wrestling. Showcase the tag teams and X-divisions, its something WWE couldn't do anymore even if they made it a priority.

Push the obvious guys in each division

Heavyweight - Joe. Long run, clean wins, he's dominant and intimidating. Sting avoids facing him because of his not-there-to-win-the-title deal again, but eventually does, loses once, then wins and retires on top when he wants. (unless he's after another five year run or something)

Tag Teams - LAX and MCMG. Epic feud. Belts go back and forth in a believable way. Every time Team 3D, AJ and Tomko, and Rock and Rave try to nose their way in they get beat. Grab a few more tag teams from the indy scene - Irish Airborne for one.

X-Division - AJ, though still goofballish, comes back "home" after letting the mice play while he was away. Bring in guys from Mexico and Japan occasionally. Lots of matches with three, four, five, and six, or more guys on TV. To beat him, guys like Lethal and Dutt realize they need to drop the fun and games and get real again. So long Black Machismo, The Guru, SCSB, and Steiner Petey. Be yourselves.

Womens - As is before the Sacrifice bullshit. Awesome Kong dominates, various contenders rise up but get beaten down.

Hardcore - Yes, I would add this. Abyss is one of their biggest assets and he reigns supreme here over Rhino, Black Reign, a new monster gimmick for Rellik, Sabu, Christian, bring back Raven and Spike, get Sandman. Have a crzy assed Monsters Ball match once in a while.

Come up with things akin to WWE's event PPV's. WWE doesn't do them correctly anymore. Again, offer something they don't. You've already got Lockdown inside the six sides of steel. I know everyone doesn't like it, but I like it once a year. Have the international tournament they used to of teams of four, put it at a PPV every year, locate it in Canada, Mexico, maybe even London or Japan. Maybe turn King of The Mountain into more of a whole PPV event with that name, have qualifying matches on the undercard.

Stables and factions are another good thing to go big on, again, the competition's product doesn't do it anymore. LAX with Serinas and Hector, Rock and Rave infection, James Mitchell needs to be leading a group at all times, etc. Something with Steiner, RIck, Rhaka Khan, and Nash.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Those are all good ideas. I think TNA needs to bring in some more solid Xdivision guys and get rid of the dinosaurs.

BGPu
05-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Frequently remind the viewers of the gimmicks most of the wrestlers used to have in their WWE days.... oh wait...

db8coach
05-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Frequently remind the viewers of the gimmicks most of the wrestlers used to have in their WWE days.... oh wait...

How about re use storylines that the WWF used 15 years ago...oh wait...

Brewtown Andy
05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Assassinate Vince Russo and wait to see what happens.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I think everyone is too harsh on Russo. I just think he needs a good editor, inker and colorist to make his art look good.

Justin.Strange
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.searchairlineprices.com/airlines.html?gclid=COaR1fzkqJMCFRItxwod8yiDnw

You can go there, but I don't think TWA is booking flights anymore.

win.

iGotKittyPryde
05-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd push Joe hard as World champ, beating Nash, Sting and even a returning Jeff Jarrett. Start having him defend the title in some sort of match every show, even if half the time it's someone with no shot of winning. Just push the fact that he's completely unstoppable.

At the same time, I'd have Kurt Angle invade the X-Division, to taunt AJ Styles. Have him win the belt, in a tough match and match him up with Styles for a few PPVs over the title, squeeking out a win each time. Have him defend it somewhat regularly until someone comes along to get a big push out of beating him. Then try and keep up the momentum of the belt.

Then with the tag belts, it seems like LAX and Team 3D are fine as part of the division, and Team 3D would be nice to see as champs for a brief run, but I'd like to see a few more teams form, maybe made of midcard guys who don't seem to be going anywhere. They need a large competitive division, and as everyone seems to agree, the Motor City Machine Guns should be a big part of it. Let there be a nice long tag match on every show, showcasing different teams. Have any tag team who's being pushed at all able to beat any two singles wrestlers, emphasizing that teams chemisty overcomes two 'better' singles guys teaming. If a singles guy faces a team in a handicap match, he LOSES.

I'd push a lot of the X Division guys a bit harder, and let them have competitve matches with some of the 'main eventers'. I'd selectively job out Christian, Rhino, Nash, Steiner, Booker and all the other 'name' guys to guys like Lethal (who'd drop the gimmick, already), Daniels (who I'd turn heel, and drop the gimmick of, but some people might disagree with that) and maybe even Eric Young.

Awesome Kong would continue to dominate the Knockouts. Maybe bring in some other ladies from Japan, if just for a match or two? Let her kick the crap out of someone almost every show. Maybe do a big build to some sexist heel beating up women for a month or two, before he runs into Kong. It'd kinda be a retread of Chyna/Jarrett, but what the hell, it'd probably draw, at least for a show.

I'd have an occational 'Monster's Ball' match, but otherwise, no gimmick matches almost at all for the next 6 months.

My main goal would be to get over the titles and have things seem a bit less hectic and random. Not BORING, just not completely insane. Let people get excited about seeing the champs defend their titles and anxiously await a title change. And don't do title changes just for shits and giggles, build to them and make them mean something.

Also: let Joe go all MMA with an occational guy, like he did with Angle and vice versa. Slowly add that 'style' to the mix of the fed, and let there be some midcard guy who starts using it and goes undefeated, destroying most people in a minute or so. Build him up for Angle, let him beat Angle and then you have a money match with Joe.

Build Matt Morgan up too. Have him win and dominate a Monster's Ball, give him big wins over a few big names and generally look unstoppable... then there you have another money match for Joe.

If one of the above gets crazy over: give them the title. If neither quite catches fire, their momentum will help Joe's title reign look all the more impressive. If no one looks ready for the title, Joe can hold it for a long ass time. No one who's ever won a World title previously ought to beat him, find someone and build them and if they beat him make it a huge deal.

And uh, that's about it...

db8coach
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with most of this, but I think you would be wasting Styles by keeping him in the xdivision.

iGotKittyPryde
05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with most of this, but I think you would be wasting Styles by keeping him in the xdivision.

I wouldn't nessicarily leave him there past feuding with Angle over the title. I just figured two big time guys feuding over the belt would improve it's presitge quite a bit. After that feud ended I'd let him flow out of the division, returning every once in a while. Maybe once someone beats Angle he can feud with them, just to add a little credibility to their title win.

But overall I'd toss him in an upper-mid card position. He's not fresh vs. Joe or as TNA champ, but he's a valuable asset to the company, no doubt. He's a great guy to toss one of the newly built up guys you have against.

Plus the entire point would be to elevate the X Division title so that it WASN'T a 'waste' of anyone to be there.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
The xdivison used to be marquee but they have devalued the title with their hijinx.

iGotKittyPryde
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
The xdivison used to be marquee but they have devalued the title with their hijinx.

Right. So I'd be aiming to restore that to it's proper luster, and using AJ and Kurt to do that for a few months.

Actually, at different times the tag division, X division and 'Knockouts' divisions have all been highlights, if you could find a way to have all of them working at the same time plus have Joe having good matches for the World title... you'd have a heck of a promotion going, I'd think.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I think the focus in general should be on the althletic action. Keep the backstage stuff to a minimum. Only have interviews in the ring, on the ramp or in the interview area.

Greenville 90210
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
win.

Really? :mistrust:

Greenville 90210
05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
X-division main feud should be a long, bloody feud between Lethal and Dutt- in the process of the feud both men shed their shitty gimmicks.

World Title should be Joe for a while. Have him beat everyone. Then later turn heel and lose it to AJ Styles or someone.

Tag Division should be dominated by LAX until new tag teams are formed with midcarders who are lost in the shuffle.

The Women's division is mostly fine.

db8coach
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
it seems like the womens division is what is carrying TNA at times.

Benel Germosen
05-15-2008, 07:28 PM
it seems like the womens division is what is carrying TNA at times.

That's fucking true. Last time I watched, the only good part was the Women's division. The rest was unwatchable shit.

db8coach
05-16-2008, 06:30 AM
You know Russo trolls message boards to see what people think about his product.