PDA

View Full Version : Lying in the Gutters for 5/5/08 (spoilers for something no dobut)

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok, time to turn the critical eye of judgment upon this week's Lying in the Gutters article. Nothing personal, this is just business.

First of all, if the red/green/yellow lights are no longer a feature then we need to go ahead and not mention them as a way to determine validity of the "items."

Insight into the behind-the-scenes from the Iron Man scene, that's a good thing. I'd already heard because I use this board (although not the stuff from Millar), but that is the kind of thing that I expect from Lying in the Gutters. Finding interesting news that is not readily available to guy-off-the-street and presenting it.

Also, the Adi Granov piece is beautiful and I have not seen that anywhere else. Good work, this is an example of something I come to Lying in the Gutters to see.

Lying in the Gutters isn't really known for dvd news, but this is an impressive list that I have not seen anywhere else. Lying in the Gutters is the first to tell me that I can own Spider-man and His Amazing Friends on dvd. Great!

Next up is something for Batman Dark Knight it seems. Well now this is where I run into problems. This thing has no spoiler tags, is in no way hidden, there is no preparation for what I'm about to see. Just "ITEM:" "Care to see the other side?" Now that wasn't really a question was it? Was I really given the option to see or not see that image at that stage? This does not make me happy, Rich. The column doesn't have to do things like this in this particular way, but apparently now it does. Now I know and the rest is on me.

The Dave Sim letter is interesting and also back in line with something I would expect from the Lying in the Gutters of old.

No more "tween" titles from DC? This is something that I need to know about (and complain to DC about) as a retailer and it was Lying in the Gutters that brought it to my attention first. This is the type of thing I come to the column to catch wind of.

And I always knew something was up with that Bonkers ad, but never for the life of me knew what. Now I do.

So in conclusion, there were good "items" this week although the column simply isn't what I feel that it once was. Unless I'm remembering it differently with Transmetropolitan colored glasses. I feel like there was no warning for the Dark Knight Image whereas other news items did have at least a window to click to enlarge if I wanted to know more. And there was still just a little too much "Lying in the Gutters told you this 6 months ago" for me. Sure, you have to self promote, but there's a way to do that kind of thing and a way where it has a negative effect.

Again, nothing personal, just my take on today's column which I hope I presented well and offered options on how things could have been presented differently. Please don't blacklist me, Rich! I mean, who wants someone to tell them that everything is great all the time is how I see it.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Dangit. Well in the time it took me to type that out, someone else started a LITG thread that has like 9 pages of response. Someone merge me in or something, please.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
To slow sucka!! :lol:

Ben
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, he spoiled a plot point of Final Crisis a couple weeks ago. He was just like (paraphrasing) "As I said in previous weeks about [plot point happening], another thing that will happen is... etc." Really pissed me off.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I can see how it could piss people off. I for one don't really care. I normally spoil myself, because it doesn't really matter until I actually see the movie. I read all the stuff about what was in Iron Man, but it was still cool when I was watching the movie, it didn't really ruin anything for me. But yeah, he probably should have warned about it or something.

Buk Was Right
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, it would've been nice to have that DK image spoiler tagged or hidden behind something, but what do you expect from a gossip column?

I sure I would have seen it eventually before the movie came out (as spoilers are getting harder and harder to avoid), but it sort of sucked to stumble over it like that...

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it would've been nice to have that DK image spoiler tagged or hidden behind something, but what do you expect from a gossip column?

I sure I would have seen it eventually before the movie came out (as spoilers are getting harder and harder to avoid), but it sort of sucked to stumble over it like that...

What do I expect? Well, either he just throws spoilers out there without warning OR he tries to give the reader an option to bypass. One or the other so I can know how it works and decide for myself. Sometimes there is a warning or text has to be highlighted to be read or sometimes its just out there. Consistency's not too much to ask for.