PDA

View Full Version : Jonny Z saw Speed Racer! (mild spoilers)

Jonny Z
05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
so I just got back from a Tribeca screening of Speed Racer...

Mildly disappointed with the film, with the surrounding hype.

There are moments of sheer freneticism followed by long dramatic scenes that really hold up the movie. I guess they had to give it some sort of plot, but it really dragged along the rest of the film. At over 2 hours, the movie was way too long for a kids film. but kids will still enjoy it, as long as they're pumped full of ritalin.

There were some really fun scenes though- most of the races seemed to be F-Zero and Mario Kart inspired, which is obvious even from the trailers. Also, the fight scenes were fantastic for a PG movie.

and Christina Ricci was way hot as Trixie. mmmmmm
http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/files/jpg/gallery/13.jpg
Overall I'd give it a 7/10 I think... teetering around a 6.5/10

I'll probably end up getting it on Blu-Ray because this is a really good visual experience, but the substance didn't really back it up.

I enjoyed the Matrix films much more (well, not the 3rd), but I guess this wasn't a movie made entirely for a man my age like the Matrix was.

Brad N.
05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Speed Raper?!? Well, at least he's fast about it.

Jonny Z
05-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Speed Raper?!? Well, at least he's fast about it.

heh, just fixed it ;) figured I'd go with a legit title...

Ray G.
05-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, it had to be better than the trailers made it look, I guess.

I'm mildly excited for this.

Jonny Z
05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, it had to be better than the trailers made it look, I guess.

I'm mildly excited for this.

the whole plot revolves around how racing is fixed and has been for years. You have a driver like Speed that just wants to race because it's what he was born to do versus evil corporations that just want to fix races for their own personal profits and gains. Pretty simple, but they really went overboard trying to explain it and confuse the audience. Kids will hate that.

niceguyeddie
05-03-2008, 07:43 PM
i'm looking forward to this. it looks like mindless fun and that's what i expect.

Brandon Reynolds
05-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I have one question Jonny:
Is Racer X really not Speed's brother?

Taxman
05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Speed Raper?!? Well, at least he's fast about it.Meanwhile, I am the only one who does not know what a Tribeca screening is.

silverboy
05-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Skipping it.

Jonny Z
05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Meanwhile, I am the only one who does not know what a Tribeca screening is.

Tribeca Film Festival.

Jonny Z
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I have one question Jonny:
Is Racer X really not Speed's brother?

he is. but he underwent plastic surgery to conceal his identity. kinda dumb, if yo ask me. why go through the trouble of plastic surgery only to wear a mask as well?

Taxman
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Tribeca Film Festival.Is that very big? Did you see anything else interesting?

Kefky
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Is the drama at least done reasonably well, or is it really overwrought, corny and dumb, like oh say, the spider-man movies? I just wanna know so I'll be sure to stay away ahead of time.

JMP
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
So to summarize:

Fights/Races: Great to Excellent

Everything in between: Not-so-great

Is that about right?

CapnChaos
05-03-2008, 11:57 PM
The thing looked pretty bugnuts to me. I'll probably see it just for that, but it'll either be IMAX or a matinee showing.

THWIP!
05-04-2008, 05:04 AM
It's a bummer to hear that it's not that good. I was never a fan of the show but the visual effects was something that drew me in. I'll probably see it if I go with my family.

Patrick J
05-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I have zero interest in this movie, though I'll probably wind up seeing it anyway.

And for some reason, and nothing against the guy personally 'cause I don't know him and I'm sure he's probably a nice person; but whenever I see Emile Hirsh on screen in almost anything I want to punch him in the face.

that bastard
05-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Depending upon my mood, the trailers for this have struck me as either A) Really fun or B) An utter nightmare.

I was NOT a fan of the last 2 MATRIX films at ALL...But this isn't the Matrix so, maybe...Eh...

...no idea how I feel about this movie.

bartleby
05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

There's hype for this movie?

Marc Lombardi
05-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Sadly, no interest in this for me at all. Way too cartoonish looking for my taste and II have a feeling that it would have been far too "all over the place" for me. I'll likely skip this, both at the movies and on DVD.

JHester
05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I saw it last night and had 0 expectations going in and it really blew me away. Kids should eat this up. I don't know if it will beat Iron Man for the top spot this weekend but I think if you have any interest in it you should check it out.

Jef UK
05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
So I should definitely eat some mushrooms before screening, yes?

Evan the Shaggy
05-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Everybody was thinking it, Jef just asked it.

Kedd
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
It looks like a movie that's likely to cause a seizure or two. I'll see it on dvd. If Ricci is popping a jumblie out, it's not worth a big screen viewing

Jonny Z
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Oh god yes. The racing and fight scenes are incredibly trippy, which I loved. I'm too much of a pussy to ever do hard drugs, but this movie would be one of the first things I saw after taking if I ever did.

jenifu
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM

you're going to have a photoepileptic seizure.
but you'll probably die giggling, which is kinda sweet.

abuddah
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I saw it on Monday. Yea some real cool trippy visuals, I thought the Watchowskis did some cool things with talking heads and a few other little tricks. It is a basic plot, but your so dazzled by the scenery you will be entertained. Great acting all around. Well almost. Paulie Litt, the "kid" who plays Sprittle (Speed's younger brother). My god is this kid annoying. You can tell everything about him from his press photo http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1445789/
It's like one of those adults who has the disease that makes them look like a kid. He introduced the trailer @ NYCC and was annoying even there. Other than him, the cast was great. Mathew "Jack from LOST" Fox was a badass Racer X. It's worth seeing in the theater for the visual experience, ESPECIALLY IMAX. I can't imagine what that'd be like.

DaGetHighKnight
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a modern day Lawnmower Man which was the BEST movie ive ever seen on acid.

Generic Poster
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
he is. but he underwent plastic surgery to conceal his identity. kinda dumb, if yo ask me. why go through the trouble of plastic surgery only to wear a mask as well?

Is this really a spoiler? Every single time Racer X showed up in the cartoon

the narrator tells us "Unknown to Speed, Racer X is really is older brother Rex, who ran away from home long ago."

Jonny, were you a fan of the cartoon?

Jonny Z
05-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Is this really a spoiler? Every single time Racer X showed up in the cartoon

the narrator tells us "Unknown to Speed, Racer X is really is older brother Rex, who ran away from home long ago."

Jonny, were you a fan of the cartoon?

well, to people who didn't watch the cartoon, it's a spoiler. but i always knew, and they make many many hints to it throughout the movie anyway.

i used to watch it a lot as a kid, but it's been years since i have.

Skatonic10
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Isn't most of the hype negative so far? And you were still disappointed?

Ouch.

Jonny Z
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Isn't most of the hype negative so far? And you were still disappointed?

Ouch.

i'm talking about hype since inception...

I'm a Wachowski bros. fan- loved the first 2 matrix films, liked V for Vendetta a lot, am enjoying Frankenstein, so for me, there was positive hype.

PeterSparker
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Admit it Jonny, it just wasn't as good because I wasn't your date for this one.

copypastepuke
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
mmm trixie