PDA

View Full Version : DC can't even seem to get FCBD right.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Marvel puts out a brand-new X-Men book with name talent that is apparently a semi-lead-in to the post-Uncanny-#500 X-universe.

DC reprints a book that is outside of the DCU and has 2 issues left, 4 days after what should have been their FCBD book comes out.

I think they've become allergic to money or something over there.

RebootedCorpse
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
:lol: Good thing no one is paying attention at Time Warner.

lonesomefool
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Marvel puts out a brand-new X-Men book with name talent that is apparently a semi-lead-in to the post-Uncanny-#500 X-universe.

DC reprints a book that is outside of the DCU and has 2 issues left, 4 days after what should have been their FCBD book comes out.

Yeah, I dont know what the deal is. If that's Didio/Levitz's fault or Time Warner or what, but they always seem to totally not give a shit about the event and more or less seem to always have to be "forced" into participating.

That said, I'm honestly not sure if DC Universe would have done all that well with any potential "new" readers anyway, I mean it was far from convoluted, but I also didnt consider it the most new-reader friendly title ever either.

Ray G.
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
DC has always been shitty on FBCD.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I dont know what the deal is. If that's Didio/Levitz's fault or Time Warner or what, but they always seem to totally not give a shit about the event and more or less seem to always have to be "forced" into participating.

That said, I'm honestly not sure if DC Universe would have done all that well with any potential "new" readers anyway, I mean it was far from convoluted, but I also didnt consider it the most new-reader friendly title ever either.

True, but it didn't do much better with getting "new" readers on Wednesday either.

And still, as much as I looooooove All-Star Superman, it's a terrible pick for a reprint. I don't think the trade sales were hurting.

Matt O'Keefe
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know. The biggest thing about FCBD is bringing in new readers. Wouldn't a reprint of (arguably) DC's best title do that better than anything else?

Bill Nolan
05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I was totally like, "No, honey, you already have that issue of Tiny Titans. DC doesn't even try. They're trying to drive all of us away. Even the children." :)

Taxman
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Superman is the best they have to offer. If they are trying to draw casual observers, I don't think it is such a bad way to go. I mean a lot of the current stuff people are complaining, what . . . that it is too continuity heavy and driving people away, is that what they are saying?

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't know. The biggest thing about FCBD is bringing in new readers. Wouldn't a reprint of (arguably) DC's best title do that better than anything else?

It might bring in new readers for the last 2 issues.

I don't see why that book would make you wanna buy anything else they're putting out, besides maybe All-Star Bats.

Matt O'Keefe
05-03-2008, 03:17 PM
It might bring in new readers for the last 2 issues.

I don't see why that book would make you wanna buy anything else they're putting out, besides maybe All-Star Bats.

It could lead to buyers getting the trade, which would lead to them buying more comics.

Bill Nolan
05-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I've read and enjoy All-Star Superman. Do people really think it's new-reader friendly? Then again, neither is Tiny Titans, filled with so many third-tier characters as it is.

Taxman
05-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I've read and enjoy All-Star Superman. Do people really think it's new-reader friendly? Not really, I guess. What in the DCU is considered new-reader friendly?

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
It could lead to buyers getting the trade, which would lead to them buying more comics.

Well like I already said, if DC's big business goal right now is to increase the already solid sales of A*S trades, their priorities are nutty.

And again, picking an out-of-continuity book from a line that only has one other title is probably the least likely to encourage trying other books.

And say somebody does. You think the latest fill-in issue of Action will live up to the expectations of somebody who tries it off the strength of A*S?

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Not really, I guess. What in the DCU is considered new-reader friendly?

Almost nothing. One more huge problem.

Taxman
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Almost nothing. One more huge problem.I thought that the Cooke Spirit, the Smith Captain Marvel and Plastic Man all looked highly accessible. I don't know that any of those are still going. That was really the one group of products I could look at and say "Marvel should really be doing something similar."

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I thought that the Cooke Spirit, the Smith Captain Marvel and Plastic Man all looked highly accessible. I don't know that any of those are still going. That was really the one group of products I could look at and say "Marvel should really be doing something similar."

They're not, though Shazam was just a mini anyways.

But Cooke left the Spirit (which is tanking and will be cancelled shortly), and Plastic Man only lasted about 2 years I think.

Bill Nolan
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
If only there was some example out there of another major company making a new book which takes care to ease new readers into a story about one of their major icons while at the same time sucking them into a major upcoming storyline! If only...

Taxman
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
If only there was some example out there of another major company making a new book which takes care to ease new readers into a story about one of their major icons while at the same time sucking them into a major upcoming storyline! If only...Even Johnny DC seemed to do well at one time, but seems to be outshinned by Marvel Adventures now.

Ben Rosen
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
i think ass makes sense.

i can't see any casual fan or man off the street picking up any dcu book and becoming eager to immerse themselves in the whole universe.

we know that, dc knows that--they've been pandering exclusively to fanboys for years, which is why they don't care about fcbd.

ass is iconic, it's their biggeest character, it's self contained, and it's the best book they put out. makes sense to me.

NickT
05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Almost nothing. One more huge problem.
I dunno, add a recap page and I can think of a few.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I dunno, add a recap page and I can think of a few.

Yeah, there are some (that's what the "almost" was for :)).

Blue Beetle would probably work, but I think it's too late for that book anyways.

Thommy Melanson
05-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Not really, I guess. What in the DCU is considered new-reader friendly?

Simon Dark started from scratch (right?), but that'd be considered too scary for kids.

...is FCBD geared solely toward attracting children as new consumers, or do they have teen/adult choices?

Patton
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
It's not a terribly good book to put out for some of the reasons you said, Fake Pat. But it was the best option out of the books they have, as far as I can tell. It should have alerted them to some of the greater problems though when they were choosing.

Marvel however...I feel like they dropped the ball a bit. The book should have been Iron Man. Lead-ins or previews for Viva Las Vegas, DOS, and Invincible. What could have been better than saying to fans of the movie they just saw or are going to see "This has the director of the movie writing and the costume designer doing art, and this story has the son of the villain in the movie, and this one shows what he's up to now in his new status quo."

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Marvel however...I feel like they dropped the ball a bit. The book should have been Iron Man. Lead-ins or previews for Viva Las Vegas, DOS, and Invincible. What could have been better than saying to fans of the movie they just saw or are going to see "This has the director of the movie writing and the costume designer doing art, and this story has the son of the villain in the movie, and this one shows what he's up to now in his new status quo."

I think it would have been a good idea to maybe throw some Iron Man stuff in the back of the X-Men freebie.

But, out of all their properties right now, Iron Man is not the one that could use a push. I'm pretty sure having a full IM FCBD book wouldn't have made any noticable difference beyond what the film will do for them by itself.

NickT
05-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah, there are some (that's what the "almost" was for :)).

Blue Beetle would probably work, but I think it's too late for that book anyways.
Atom too, and the same problem. Detective Comics would work.

But then we're back at my standard moan. It's not that DC are that much worse for using continuity than Marvel, it's just that Marvel seems to try and help people who don't know the continuity a lot more.

ASS is an odd book for it, I agree. It's a book ending soon and with no links to any other books. Also, pushing out a years old reprint just feels a bit like going "Well, since everyone else is putting something out...". It seems like the perfect time to push people, readers and non-readers, towards something starting soon, and they're not.

Patton
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I think it would have been a good idea to maybe throw some Iron Man stuff in the back of the X-Men freebie.

But, out of all their properties right now, Iron Man is not the one that could use a push. I'm pretty sure having a full IM FCBD book wouldn't have made any noticable difference beyond what the film will do for them by itself.

Oh now I see where you're coming from. You're saying they should go with things that need a push, sales wise. I am thinking they go with something that brings in brand new readers.

It looks like Marvel might have went with the former and DC the latter. I dunno which one is "right." I don't know how many non comic people show up to FCBD. I do know my local book store had FCBD as did the local used CD and DVD store so those are potential non comic fans I suppose.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Oh now I see where you're coming from. You're saying they should go with things that need a push, sales wise. I am thinking they go with something that brings in brand new readers.

It looks like Marvel might have went with the former and DC the latter. I dunno which one is "right." I don't know how many non comic people show up to FCBD. I do know my local book store had FCBD as did the local used CD and DVD store so those are potential non comic fans I suppose.

Well really I'm talking about both. Again, I'm sure the IM movie will do more to bring in new readers than an FCBD issue would have, so doing so might have been slightly redundant.

Ben
05-03-2008, 04:09 PM
DC Universe #0 would've been a horrible free comic.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 04:11 PM

But that's just because they failed at what they were trying to accomplish.

Had DCU #0 been what they claimed it would be, it would have been perfect.

Thommy Melanson
05-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Price is about right, then.

Lanowar
05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Simon Dark started from scratch (right?), but that'd be considered too scary for kids.

...is FCBD geared solely toward attracting children as new consumers, or do they have teen/adult choices?

Did'nt Hellboy and Atomic Robo get free stories, would'nt exactly call them children friendly stories.

c.rob
05-03-2008, 04:22 PM
i think ass makes sense.

I can get behind this.

Ben
05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
But that's just because they failed at what they were trying to accomplish.

Had DCU #0 been what they claimed it would be, it would have been perfect.Ok, that I agree with.

ERNIE_E
05-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow. i don't think ASS is a bad pick at all. Easily one of the best comics DC is putting out. It's new reader friendly and each issue is almost self-contained. If someone wants more, there's more out there. And trades are forthcoming. Marvel didn't blow me away with their FCBD choices at all. My LCS allowed us to take 4 and everything I got was indie stuff. But I almost got ASS just to hand out to a friend because it's so good.

So yeah. No problem with DC's choices here.

I think Virgin Comics had the best free comics available with Dan Dare and Stranded #1's.

Fake Pat
05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Wow. i don't think ASS is a bad pick at all. Easily one of the best comics DC is putting out. It's new reader friendly and each issue is almost self-contained. If someone wants more, there's more out there. And trades are forthcoming. Marvel didn't blow me away with their FCBD choices at all. My LCS allowed us to take 4 and everything I got was indie stuff. But I almost got ASS just to hand out to a friend because it's so good.

So yeah. No problem with DC's choices here.

I think Virgin Comics had the best free comics available with Dan Dare and Stranded #1's.

A*S was always gonna sell good in trades, they didn't need this to get their numbers up. At best they'll see a bump for 2 issues, and that's it.

And if your goal is to hook new readers, a quarterly book isn't the way to go.

Ben Rosen
05-03-2008, 05:48 PM
A*S was always gonna sell good in trades, they didn't need this to get their numbers up. At best they'll see a bump for 2 issues, and that's it.

And if your goal is to hook new readers, a quarterly book isn't the way to go.

you're running under the assumption that the goal is to get people reading comics week in and week out after they're hooked by a fcbd comic. maybe it just shows them comics can be entertaining and they start buying a comic or two when they stop by borders or something. there's this empty space in between buying books every week and not reading at all that is somewhat filled by the trade market, but in terms of casual floppy readers? i don't think it's that big of an audience but fcbd can work to improve that. if superhero books are going to continue and not just be some niche fanboy market, there has to be that in between.

RickLM
05-03-2008, 05:56 PM
AS-S would be a great choice if that issue weren't 2 years old. It just seemed like a strange thing to do for FCBD 2008 -- the All-Star hype is ancient news now.

If DC had offered some sort of primer on what has happened in its recent years -- helping me to understand everything from Infinite Crisis to 52 to Countdown -- I would have been all over that, since I barely read DC anymore.

DC could have brought out a free book that tied in with the new Batman movie, no? And they could also hand it out at movie theaters this summer. Oh well.

Colby
05-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I'd think that the main continuity Superman and Batman lines would be somewhat accessible (Although I'm not reading Supes). I mean, everyone knows those status quos already.

ASS, while great, is an odd choice, and I'm not really sure how many new readers it'd bring in- a lot of it seems to be silver age "in jokes" (for lack of a better term.)

RickLM
05-03-2008, 06:06 PM
It's not a terribly good book to put out for some of the reasons you said, Fake Pat. But it was the best option out of the books they have, as far as I can tell. It should have alerted them to some of the greater problems though when they were choosing.

One of the FCBD hand-outs from Marvel today was a publication that described all the Iron Man and Hulk titles. Isn't that what you're describing?

Andrew
05-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Along with the X-Men thing, Marvel also gave out a Marvel Adventures one-shot featuring Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the Hulk, which makes sense given that the latter two characters have films out this summer.

Given that DC has a Batman movie coming out this summer, why didn't they hand out some type of Batman book for FCBD? Why Superman instead?

I'd pretty much have to agree that DC dropped the ball here. Again.

Simps
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM

I disagree. The X-Men book may be good for current fans, but if you enjoy it, you get to wait a few months until that storyline starts. All-Star Superman already has a hardcover/10 issues available to buy immediately, and features one of their 2 biggest writers. Seeing how FCBD is designed for people new to comics, they wouldn't really care which one is "new" material. I'm surprised Marvel didn't put out Ellis' Iron Man #1 or something like that. I mean, it's cool Marvel does new stories for it, but seems a bit unnecessary.

NickT
05-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I disagree. The X-Men book may be good for current fans, but if you enjoy it, you get to wait a few months until that storyline starts. All-Star Superman already has a hardcover/10 issues available to buy immediately, and features one of their 2 biggest writers. Seeing how FCBD is designed for people new to comics, they wouldn't really care which one is "new" material. I'm surprised Marvel didn't put out Ellis' Iron Man #1 or something like that. I mean, it's cool Marvel does new stories for it, but seems a bit unnecessary.
The effort is a nice touch. Also as far as I can tell, FCBD is aimed at multiple areas.

Simps
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah, a recent Dini DETECTIVE issue would have been great. Maybe the one where Joker holds Robin hostage in a car.

Simps
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
The effort is a nice touch. Also as far as I can tell, FCBD is aimed at multiple areas.
It should be aimed at potential new readers that come into a comic book store after seeing Iron Man.

I remember wanting to get an X-Men comic after seeing the first movie, and was annoyed that there was nothing easily accessible for me, a comics reader that hadn't read any Marvel stuff.

NickT
05-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, a recent Dini DETECTIVE issue would have been great. Maybe the one where Joker holds Robin hostage in a car.
If you're going to do a reprint, that would be one that'd make sense. Trades available, not ending any time soon, popular, movie tie-in...

Andrew
05-03-2008, 06:40 PM

See, that one would be perfect, given that The Dark Knight will be out soon.