PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario World fans, I would like you to playtest my alpha demo!

Special Agent Bachman
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I'm making a total conversion SMW hack and I'll eventually be putting out a public beta version. Before that can happen, I need a relatively small amount of people to playtest alpha versions of the game. Since I love this board and this board loves SMW, I'd like y'all to be my playtesters and possible collaborators for this game.

The catch is that absolutely nobody can distribute this alpha version for any reason whatsoever; only the eventual beta is meant for wide release and I'm giving y'all the benefit of the doubt. Also, if you don't intend to give feedback on the game then please don't bother downloading it.

I've finished World 1 (except for the unmodified castle) and have added various things to the game that weren't in the original. The levels are original and I've hidden a Raccoon Leaf in one of them as well. The difficulty is above average but fair as far as I can tell after playing each level about a hundred times apiece over the past month.

There's a patch and a readme included in the zip file; it's up to you to find a working SMW ROM. Don't ask where to find one either. The readme gives instructions on how to patch this file to the ROM. I've only tested on a ZSNES emulator, but it should work with any SNES emulator out there.

Lastly, the file can be found here (http://www.ggmedia.us/mario/SMWXjw.zip). Thanks!

EDIT: If you're having trouble using the patch via double-clicking, then download Lunar IPS (http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/index.html), an easy patching program.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
One. More. Time!

Special Agent Bachman
05-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I dunno what you're referring to, but I accidently posted this thread twice due to some hellacious lag. Fucking lag!!

Greenville 90210
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I might get on this.

Special Agent Bachman
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Hell fuck yeah, get you some!

Jamie Howdeshell
05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Is this even remotely legal?

Greenville 90210
05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Is this even remotely legal?

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2007_11_11/narc.jpg

:roll:

Ryudo
05-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Erm... :no:

Special Agent Bachman
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes it's fucking legal or I wouldn't be posting it on fucking Jinxworld. I'm not distributing ROM images, just a patch for one. I'm not selling it either. Is that okay with you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romhacking#Distribution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galoob_v._Nintendo

http://www.rosenlaw.com/lj19.htm

Whip
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm gonna try this out, most likely.

Supreme Convoy
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I double clicked SMWXjw.ips but Window cannot open the file. So the patch wouldn't open...

Special Agent Bachman
05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I double clicked SMWXjw.ips but Window cannot open the file. So the patch wouldn't open...

Here ya go . . . .

http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/index.html

Jamie Howdeshell
05-02-2008, 03:03 AM
Yes it's fucking legal or I wouldn't be posting it on fucking Jinxworld. I'm not distributing ROM images, just a patch for one. I'm not selling it either. Is that okay with you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romhacking#Distribution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galoob_v._Nintendo

http://www.rosenlaw.com/lj19.htm

Touchy touchy.

I was just curious.
Those links don't really help much. The most relevant one is the wiki article (that's always a bad sign) which says that usually the copyright holders ignore this type of activity.
The issue seems at best very gray to me.
But whatever.
*shrugs*

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2007_11_11/narc.jpg

Lemme guess... you're from the venerable philosophical school of "stitches for snitches"?
:lol:

And really... I'd be more offended if you weren't comparing me to one of the most awesome video games ever!!!!
:cool:

PeteL
05-02-2008, 04:34 AM
I'll try this out over the weekend.

Special Agent Bachman
05-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Touchy touchy.

I was just curious.
Those links don't really help much. The most relevant one is the wiki article (that's always a bad sign) which says that usually the copyright holders ignore this type of activity.
The issue seems at best very gray to me.
But whatever.
*shrugs*

Sorry man, I just knew that someone would be the guy that tried to question the legality of something that I got approval to post. It could just as easily have been someone else, but I had to jump on you first and get it outta the way!

The fact of the matter is that I'm not distributing copyrighted material. I made this patch. I even made it so that all of the rest of the game (Nintendo's levels) is locked out except for my customized World 1 area. And since I don't want too many copies of it floating around, I'll be removing the link in a few days anyway.

Greenville 90210
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Lemme guess... you're from the venerable philosophical school of "stitches for snitches"?

And really... I'd be more offended if you weren't comparing me to one of the most awesome video games ever!!!!
:cool:

Yeah, I know, I almost put the movie poster for NARC.

Whip
05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Okay, played the first two stages plus the Yellow Switch.

1) You're a sadist.
2) When you finish the salvo stage and the pathway is leading up to the Switch, blocks akin to the type you get when you play a dirty NES cartridge appear. Looks a little messy. Although you're most likely aware of this.
3) Maybe it's just me, but Mario seems to move slower than usual while underwater.
4) Bullet Bills fly too fast, and some appeared out of thin air in the middle of the screen, making it almost impossible to react without dying. :p
5) On the gap trap stage (1.2), there's a death trap when you're walking along the top rope just after the mid-way point. Everytime you jump on the second creature, who you have to jump on otherwise you're dead, the shell the goomba behind him kicks at you connects, making you dead anyway. :sad:
6) Those cat things are so cute. Did you design them yourself or did you lift them from somewhere? ^^
7) Goombas are normal again, thank you. I didn't like their spherical look in the original SMW.

I'm gonna play some more, maybe later or tomorrow. Great job so far. :)

Special Agent Bachman
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Okay, played the first two stages plus the Yellow Switch.

1) You're a sadist.
2) When you finish the salvo stage and the pathway is leading up to the Switch, blocks akin to the type you get when you play a dirty NES cartridge appear. Looks a little messy. Although you're most likely aware of this.
3) Maybe it's just me, but Mario seems to move slower than usual while underwater.
4) Bullet Bills fly too fast, and some appeared out of thin air in the middle of the screen, making it almost impossible to react without dying. :p
5) On the gap trap stage (1.2), there's a death trap when you're walking along the top rope just after the mid-way point. Everytime you jump on the second creature, who you have to jump on otherwise you're dead, the shell the goomba behind him kicks at you connects, making you dead anyway. :sad:
6) Those cat things are so cute. Did you design them yourself or did you lift them from somewhere? ^^
7) Goombas are normal again, thank you. I didn't like their spherical look in the original SMW.

I'm gonna play some more, maybe later or tomorrow. Great job so far. :)

1) The levels are easy for me since I've played each one about a hundred times, but they used to be pretty hard when I first started testing them. Giving powered-up Super Mario an extra hit point balanced things a lot better.

2) The garbage on the map after Opening Salvo is a result of using ZSNES to play the game. This is addressed in the documentation.

3) I haven't noticed this, but then again I haven't played regular SMW since I started the hack. Yellow Switch has some slowdown in the water, if that's what you're referring to.

4) Bills move the same speed they always have. Additionally, you seem to be hitting their spawn point; I'd like to find a way to fix this, but it would possibly ruin the timing that I set up for their attacks. It's not really a good idea to run headfirst into a hail of bullets anyway. :)

5) It's designed to kill you if you rush in, but if you act cautiously then it's cake. Super shell, then two naked koopas, then two goombas. The title screen demo is my runthrough of a slightly earlier version of Gap Trap, so if you watch how I did that section then you'll be good to go.

6) My sister made those sprites for my birthday on 4/19, based on my cat Ninji. She's also working on programming them to make cat sounds when they jump, walk, or die. They replace the old SMW goombas and there will be another hopping/running version to replace the SMB2 Ninji enemies.

7) Yes, I hated SMW goombas and bringing back classic-styled ones was a top priority. They're meaner now too. I used a workaround to turn blue naked koopas into this new goomba enemy.

Alot of answers to questions that you may have can be found in the readme file that I included. It touches on such things as items, enemies, levels, known bugs/glitches, some hints, etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Special Agent Bachman
05-04-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm halfway done with the castle now and it's turning out quite nicely. Once I figure out where the data is that changes what Kamek turns blocks into, then my true goal of the castle can be achieved!

Currently, he changes them into either Yellow Koopas, Thwimps, coins, or 1UPs. I want Red Koopas, Goombas, Dry Bones and Thwimps. This will be fun.

Patton
05-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Sadly I couldn't get it to work.

I'm a huge SMW fan.

Special Agent Bachman
05-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Sadly I couldn't get it to work.

I'm a huge SMW fan.

Download this patching program (http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/index.html) that I linked to under the edit of my first post. It pretty much is easy ridin' from there.

Lunar IPS (LIPS) is intended as an easy to use, lightweight IPS patch utility for windows to replace the SNESTool DOS program. It can both create and apply IPS patches.

As far as features go, LIPS has:

IPS patch creation/application support.

full RLE encoding/decoding support.

file expanding/truncating support.

the IPS encoder creates files that are the same size or smaller than files created with SNESTool.

the IPS encoder avoids the rare "0x454F46 (EOF) offset bug" that SNESTool's IPS encoder has.

logging feature for applying IPS patches (ROMFileName.log).

registers the ".IPS" file type so that you can just double click on an IPS file and choose the file to apply it to for convenience.

support for patching files up to 16 MB in size, which is the limit of the IPS format. The files can technically be larger than that, but the IPS format cannot record changes beyond the 16 MB mark due to 24-bit addressing. The IPS file itself can be any size.

Amos Moses
05-04-2008, 07:39 AM
1. ENOUGH WILL THE BULLET BILLS!!

2. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/chikencow/wtf01.jpg

3. I actually liked the classic SMW skins, but these are okay. The new blocks though, were confusing.

4. What's up with the yellow switch room? I went through the water but then those yellow boxes blocked my path. Did I do something wrong?

Special Agent Bachman
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
1. ENOUGH WILL THE BULLET BILLS!!

2. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/chikencow/wtf01.jpg

3. I actually liked the classic SMW skins, but these are okay. The new blocks though, were confusing.

4. What's up with the yellow switch room? I went through the water but then those yellow boxes blocked my path. Did I do something wrong?

1) Okay! For now. You know you loved the ones in Fish Food.

2) Those goddamned fish go through literally every ground tile that I tried putting down. There was no stopping it. BTW, did you find out how to get the blue shell yet?

3) The yellow star blocks are the ones that can either hold items, flip around, or be broken with spin jumps and shells. The purple ones are throw blocks.

4) Use the purple blocks on the right (after you jump out of the water) to break the yellow block wall. There are twice as many blocks as you'd actually need, so use extra ones to kill Spinies if you want.

Special Agent Bachman
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
When I finish the castle is anyone willing to stomach an updated patch with that level and some new graphics?

Special Agent Bachman
05-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Okay, I'm adding a Blooper Suit. This should be interesting.

Bill!
05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Are you actually using the Mario image and character?

Special Agent Bachman
05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Are you actually using the Mario image and character?

Yes, for no profit whatsoever and without distributing the ROM image in any form whatsoever. I've already cleared this thread with a mod, in case you were wondering. And, additionaly, Nintendo has no on-the-record objection to SMW hacking. I've covered my bases.

Does this answer satisfy your curiosity?

danlomb
05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
I'd join in, but it's legal.

Just kidding, I've got like 5 essays due in the next 2 weeks.
I'll search for this thread when I'm free. Sounds neat.

...yet legal.

Special Agent Bachman
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I'd join in, but it's legal.

Just kidding, I've got like 5 essays due in the next 2 weeks.
I'll search for this thread when I'm free. Sounds neat.

...yet legal.

Bill!
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Yes, for no profit whatsoever and without distributing the ROM image in any form whatsoever. I've already cleared this thread with a mod, in case you were wondering. And, additionaly, Nintendo has no on-the-record objection to SMW hacking. I've covered my bases.

Does this answer satisfy your curiosity?

I was just curious. No need to get snippy. I'm fairly certain Nintendo could stop you if they wanted to, with copyright and trademark dilution, but they probably don't care.

Special Agent Bachman
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I was just curious. No need to get snippy. I'm fairly certain Nintendo could stop you if they wanted to, with copyright and trademark dilution, but they probably don't care.

Wasn't trying to be snippy, just trying to avoid potential derailing is all, which could easily happen in a thread like this. Nintendo really doesn't care so long as the ROM isn't being distributed and no revenue is being generated. Hell, Capcom used to outright support responsible usage of the M.U.G.E.N. 2-D fighting game engine back in the day (sprite ripping, sound ripping, all that shit).

Bill!
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Wasn't trying to be snippy, just trying to avoid potential derailing is all, which could easily happen in a thread like this. Nintendo really doesn't care so long as the ROM isn't being distributed and no revenue is being generated. Hell, Capcom used to outright support responsible usage of the M.U.G.E.N. 2-D fighting game engine back in the day (sprite ripping, sound ripping, all that shit).

That was actually pretty weird about Capcom. I didn't know that. They have been pretty big bitches lately regarding copyright and trademark stuff. Maybe back in the day, when Street Fighter was really the only fighting game around, they wanted people to get into it by playign something online and then going out and buying it. Or getting the sound effects and images into peoples head from their game.

I wasn't trying to derail, its just that everything I see now goes through legal viewfinders. Also, I was curious if you were using Mario, or if you designed your own character.

Special Agent Bachman
05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
That was actually pretty weird about Capcom. I didn't know that. They have been pretty big bitches lately regarding copyright and trademark stuff. Maybe back in the day, when Street Fighter was really the only fighting game around, they wanted people to get into it by playign something online and then going out and buying it. Or getting the sound effects and images into peoples head from their game.

I wasn't trying to derail, its just that everything I see now goes through legal viewfinders. Also, I was curious if you were using Mario, or if you designed your own character.

Yeah, Capcom sent an e-mail and everything, giving their blessing to the community as a whole. It was quite awesome. This was in 1999 or 2000. Some other companies wouldn't allow sound ripping but were fine with sprites (Atlus, Sunsoft). Capcom genuinely loved seeing the creativity out there and even hired a guy or two from the scene.

I am using Mario, yes. His sprite is going to be heavily modified at some point though, just so everything looks new. I've already changed a decent amount of the graphics at this point in time.

Special Agent Bachman
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I've made some changes to Mario's sprites, finished the castle, tweaked each level a bit, tweaked the Ninjis and Goombas, and changed the title screen/movie. After I do a few other things then I'll post a link to the update.

List of new stuff for the next release:

A brand new level, 1-5 Iggy Koopa, is complete. Finally, the castle!

Changed Mario's sprites to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Ninjis and Paraninjis now move faster, follow Mario, and jump over shells.

Goombas move slower and walk off ledges.

Kamek puffs into smoke when you kill him.

Changed the final section of 1-1 Opening Salvo.

Trivial tweaks to 1-2 Gap Trap, changed the palettes.

Fixed pipe exits in 1-3 Koopa Canyon, changed the palettes.

Changed the palettes in 1-4 Fish Food.

Lessened the amount of coins and changed nearly all coin locations.

Changed title screen logo and intro.

More changes forthcoming before the release!

PeteL
05-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I still haven't tried this.

I can run this on a custom firmware enabled PSP, yes?

Special Agent Bachman
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I still haven't tried this.

I can run this on a custom firmware enabled PSP, yes?

Hmm, I don't see why not. If so, can you post pics of you playing my game on a PSP? I think I'd nerd to death.

Special Agent Bachman
05-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Y'all aren't very good game testers!