PDA

View Full Version : US confirms Somali missile strike

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7378502.stm

The US military has confirmed that it carried out a pre-dawn missile strike which killed a senior leader of an Islamist militant group in Somalia.

A spokesman said the target of the attack in the town of Dusamareb was an al-Qaeda leader, but would not name him or say whether it had been successful.

The strike hit the home of Aden Hashi Ayro, the military head of al-Shabab, which controls much of Somalia.

At least 10 other people, including another al-Shabab leader, also died.

But local elders have said up to 30 bodies have been recovered from the scene, according to unconfirmed reports.

Bill!
05-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Well shit.

Rosemary's Baby
05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Local elders?

Lyfeforce
05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
huh. Didn't see that one coming.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:04 PM
An al-Shabab spokesman warned that there would now be revenge attacks.

"This incident will cause a lot problems to US interests in the region and the governments who support the US, by that I mean its allies who are puppets," Mr Robow told the BBC, referring to Ethiopia which backs Somalia's interim government.

"I am letting the citizens of the US and the allies know they are not going to be safe in this area."

How are we going to be able to protect our allies now that we have done this?

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
One last military blunder for the road.
Get out, fuckheads.

MAK15
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
this is like, really really bad, isn't it?

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
One last military blunder for the road.
Get out, fuckheads.

Potentially this could be more than a blunder. This could lead to a large scale disaster. There absolutely will be revenge attacks against US business interests and allies in the region. I don't see how Bush can just walk away from this now, otherwise why start?

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Potentially this could be more than a blunder. This could lead to a large scale disaster. There absolutely will be revenge attacks against US business interests and allies in the region. I don't see how Bush can just walk away from this now, otherwise why start?

Maybe he wanted to "Black Baby" old McCain one last time.

Taxman
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
How are we going to be able to protect our allies now that we have done this?With Straw Men.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Maybe he wanted to "Black Baby" old McCain one last time.

Part of me is terrified that Bush is doing this to help McCain win. If that is so, how far is he willing to go?

The Republicans only real chance to win is if they bump ecomony off the number one concern slot and focus everyones attention on the 'war on terror' again. A new war on yet another front might just do that.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Part of me is terrified that Bush is doing this to help McCain win. If that is so, how far is he willing to go?

The Republicans only real chance to win is if they bump ecomony off the number one concern slot and focus everyones attention on the 'war on terror' again. A new war on yet another front might just do that.

Jesus. I hope Americans aren't so retarded, they'd fall for that again.

Rosemary's Baby
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM

I feel like I should say, "no they wouldn't go that far," but I won't because I'm not so sure.

Gunter
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Cause you've got high hopes
you've got high hopes

Fake Pat
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
God damn America.

NATE!
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
God damn America.

http://www.immigration.ca/tempent-visit.asp

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Cause you've got high hopes
you've got high hopes

Does seem pretty pie in the sky after the last two horrific debacles (2000 and 2004) by voters in the country. Of course both elections were won by fraud, but the fact that they were even close says volumes.

Gunter
05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Does seem pretty pie in the sky after the last two horrific debacles (2000 and 2004) by voters in the country. Of course both elections were won by fraud, but the fact that they were even close says volumes.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that McCain will win.

Fake Pat
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM

:roll: <---never has that been more appropriate.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM

It's not a matter of falling for anything. The mess Bush has made is real and someone needs to clean it up.

Bush could concievably stir things up to the point a majority of voters no longer think pulling out of the region is the best course of action. If it looks likely we are going to remain at war for the next four years McCain is going to look better than Obama as a wartime Commander in Chief.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
It's not a matter of falling for anything. The mess Bush has made is real and someone needs to clean it up.

Bush could concievably stir things up to the point a majority of voters no longer think pulling out of the region is the best course of action. If it looks likely we are going to remain at war for the next four years McCain is going to look better than Obama as a wartime Commander in Chief.

http://themocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/mccain_wheelchair.jpg

bachman
God damn America.

I agree.

God Damn! America, Rules!

:rock:

King of Mars
I'm not sure I see the problem with taking this guy out. This isn't an invasion we're talking about here, it's a fairly precise attack against a high level terrorist who was fomenting unrest in the region.

RebootedCorpse

We won't miss you.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
http://themocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/mccain_wheelchair.jpg

Terrifying as it is events like this could lead to that happening.

God damn it. :cry:

Andreas
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
An al-Shabab spokesman warned that there would now be revenge attacks.

"This incident will cause a lot problems to US interests in the region and the governments who support the US, by that I mean its allies who are puppets," Mr Robow told the BBC, referring to Ethiopia which backs Somalia's interim government.

"I am letting the citizens of the US and the allies know they are not going to be safe in this area."

Wait, so they were safe before...? Bad America! America bad! :nonono2:

Hard to believe someone actually asked a spokesman of an extremist Islamist insurgency group for a statement.

Andreas

Dreaded Anomaly
05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't claim to know very much about the problems of that region.

However, my gut reaction is an image of Bush pointing at the Democrats and saying "deal with that, motherfuckers!"

Thudpucker
I'm not sure I see the problem with taking this guy out. This isn't an invasion we're talking about here, it's a fairly precise attack against a high level terrorist who was fomenting unrest in the region.

Alot of people desearve to be taken out. The US government actually doing it though is a big deal.

We just murdered 30 or so people in their own homeland. This is the kind of action that leads to war.

RebootedCorpse
Hard to believe someone actually asked a spokesman of an extremist Islamist insurgency group for a statement.

Andreas

Why?

Bill!
05-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Alot of people desearve to be taken out. The US government actually doing it though is a big deal.

We just murdered 30 or so people in their own homeland. This is the kind of action that leads to war.

Exactly. Somewhere in the past few years Americans got it in their heads that we have some sort of unilateral right to kill people wherever we want without trial or evidence just because we think they're bad.

NATE!
05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
:roll: <---never has that been more appropriate.

Or predictable.

Fake Pat
05-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Or predictable.

I hope to one reach the innovative heights of "Love it or leave it".

King of Mars
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM

We just murdered 30 or so people in their own homeland. This is the kind of action that leads to war.The guy we targeted was an enemy of the Somalian government. I'm assuming we had their blessing to launch this assault.

NATE!
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm leaning more towards "Tits or GTFO" myself.

Fake Pat
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm leaning more towards "Tits or GTFO" myself.

Now that's one we can all agree on. :thumb:

Bill!
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM

I love my country but hate Americans. Where does that leave me?

Fake Pat
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I love my country but hate Americans. Where does that leave me?

Fucked. Like me.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
The guy we targeted was an enemy of the Somalian government. I'm assuming we had their blessing to launch this assault.

What government? Do you mean the Transitional Federal Government?

Have you been following what's been going on in Somalia the last few years?

Ray G.
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I, for one, am glad he's off the planet.

I hope the people killed weren't innocents.

wes
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
The US may as well bomb the crap out of anyone who may or may not be an enemy at this point. Its not like people could possibly hate the US anymore than they already do, so the US may as well go to town!!!!

King of Mars
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
What government? Do you mean the Transitional Federal Government?Yes, that's the one.

Have you been following what's been going on in Somalia the last few years?Read a few news articles about it, but I haven't exactly been "following" the situation.

Andreas
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Why?

March 19, 2008 (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/19/africa/AF-GEN-Somalia.php). "We are happy that the U.S. put us on its list of terrorists, a name given to pure Muslims, who are strong and clear in their religious position, by the West," Sheik Muqtar Robow, al-Shabab's spokesman, told The Associated Press by phone from an undisclosed location in Somalia. He said he was pleased to be on a list that included Islamic militants "our brothers" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There's a point in giving this guy a forum? A guy who solves his problems by saying "Bring 'em on." That's like having some troll on this board and making his threads a "sticky."

Andreas

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
There's a point in giving this guy a forum? A guy who solves his problems by saying "Bring 'em on." That's like having some troll on this board and making his threads a "sticky."

Andreas

Nah. Reporters even have to get trolls opinions. Especially if the troll has just gotten his ass bombed.

Taxman
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM

AndreasUnlike the posters on this board, the presses freedom is guaranteed.

Bill!
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Andreas

Sounds like our President.

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, that's the one.

Read a few news articles about it, but I haven't exactly been "following" the situation.

If you are interested in this you should read up a bit on what is going on in that Country. The Transitional Federal Government means just about nothing to the people of Somalia.

King of Mars
05-01-2008, 05:09 PM
If you are interested in this you should read up a bit on what is going on in that Country. The Transitional Federal Government means just about nothing to the people of Somalia.Certainly, there's a great deal I don't know about the situation in Somalia. That said...it's my understanding that the fledgling, transitional government is internationally recognized as being legitimate. Isn't it in everyone's best interests for the U.S. to help the Somalian government remain intact by stamping out a destructive, divisive, common enemy?

Thudpucker
05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Certainly, there's a great deal I don't know about the situation in Somalia. That said...it's my understanding that the fledgling, transitional government is internationally recognized as being legitimate. Isn't it in everyone's best interests for the U.S. to help the Somalian government remain intact by stamping out a destructive, divisive, common enemy?

In my opinion? No, absolutely not. In no way is this in the best interests of the US.

Drkemerld73
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Clinton got hell for doing it. Then he got hell for not doing it.

Bush got hell for not doing it. Then he got hell for doing it.

Obama is for it if there is actionable intelligence...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems.