PDA

View Full Version : what happened in piedmont?

Andy Kuhn
04-27-2008, 02:28 PM
i just saw a short commercial which i assume is viral movie marketing.

in a low res video shot a dog wanders down a deserted street. as the camera pans up we see that farther up the way the road is littered with dead bodies. cut to a black screen with this website on it whathappenedinpiedmont.com

i went to the website and it's more of the same. i was wondering if anyone on the board knows what the movie is? thanks.

EdNEMO
04-27-2008, 02:30 PM
It involves inter-dimensional hybrid aliens, zombies, and the United States Postal Service!

It's the new Andromeda Strain movie.

Brad N.
04-27-2008, 02:33 PM
It's for Tony and Ridley Scott's new version of The Andromeda Strain coming to A&E on Memorial Day.

Andy Kuhn
04-27-2008, 02:35 PM
someone is remaking THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN?
wow, that's a helluva bar to try to reach. thanks.

Foolish Mortal
04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
It's for Tony and Ridley Scott's new version of The Andromeda Strain coming to A&E on Memorial Day.
Really? I thought it had to do with M. Night Shyamalan's 'The Happening'.

Brad N.
04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
someone is remaking THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN?
wow, that's a helluva bar to try to reach. thanks.

Even better? It's made for TV! With Benjamin Bratt, Will from Will and Grace, and Rick Schroeder! Whoo!

Brad N.
04-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Really? I thought it had to do with M. Night Shyamalan's 'The Happening'.

Nope, the fictional town of Piedmont, Utah is the setting for Andromeda Strain.

NickT
04-27-2008, 02:45 PM
...stays in Piedmont!

Foolish Mortal
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Nope, the fictional town of Piedmont, Utah is the setting for Andromeda Strain.
Ah, well then. :)

Even better? It's made for TV! With Benjamin Bratt, Will from Will and Grace, and Rick Schroeder! Whoo!
I found a trailer for it. And Andre Braugher is in it, so that balances things out. ;)

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/14/the-andromeda-strain-trailer/

Taxman
04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I remembered that Piedmont was the name of the town in the original film. I was thinking it was in New Mexico. Wikipedia says Arizona for the novel. That was a pretty scaring film as a child.

Andy Kuhn
04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
i hope the remake is good, but i'm not holding my breath.... unless i'm in piedmont!

The Hodag
04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
...stays in Piedmont!

:rofl:

But seriously, looks like Ridley and Tony are gonna eff up a great movie. I need to see the original again, as that and Carpenter's The Thing scared me more than almost any other movies when I was a kid. Something about the nature of their invisible threats...

Taxman
04-27-2008, 03:22 PM
:rofl:

But seriously, looks like Ridley and Tony are gonna eff up a great movie. I need to see the original again, as that and Carpenter's The Thing scared me more than almost any other movies when I was a kid. Something about the nature of their invisible threats...I haven't seen it in probably 30 years. My memories of some of the scenes in the opening are still kinda frightening.

I also have some memory of parts of it being reused in The Six Million Dollar Man.

The Hodag
04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I haven't seen it in probably 30 years. My memories of some of the scenes in the opening are still kinda frightening.

I think I've rewatched it within the last ten years or so. What's so creepy about it is its clinically detached realism. It's almost documentary-like, and the scientists all look like fucking scientists (not the kiddie scientists of the pending remake). You watch it and it feels like you're watching a documentary.

Bill Nolan
04-27-2008, 03:26 PM
They had the best freebie at the New York Comic-Con. They were handing out Andromeda Strain branded bottles of hand sanitizer. I lol'd...

Andreas
04-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I like Robert Wise's original. It's a very calm movie, most of it takes place in the laboratory. In the places you see outside the lab, tension is created by the absence of life.

In general it's a good pick for a remake, though I don't think much is added by presenting the spread of the virus and the panic of the people. You have these cheap CGI effects in every other catastrophe movie. And the focus really should be on the characters and the drama, filmed at limited locales. What Robert Wise succeeded in was kind of a unity of time, place, and action.

Andreas