PDA

View Full Version : I took a stab at a new trade dress for Ultimate Spider-Man

Simps
04-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Was bored and instead of going to sleep like I should have, I was rereading Ultimate Spider-Man #121, and decided to try out a slightly different version of more or less, the same trade dress we've seen on Ultimate Spidey since the beginning. Not huge changes, just a bit of rearranging and such.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/600dollarbananasuit/UltimateMock-Up112.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/600dollarbananasuit/UltimateMock-Up113.jpg

Sorry the logo itself looks crappy, I didn't have a great source for it. I actually wish they'd go back to the version of the logo they used up until this one. The font (while not exactly the same) was evocative of Amazing Spidey. This metallic-looking one just never felt right to me.

Thomas Mauer
04-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Sorry, this doesn't look good at all and also doesn't work for a few reasons.

The barcode and Marvel logo are way too dangerously close to the trim. While what you have here would be the "ideal" cut, printing presses are physically unable to trim books this precisely, so the Marvel logo would almost always look skewed. The barcode is the most important thing on that cover for shipping and the retailers, so the danger of cutting it off and not having enough of the safe zone would make scanning it impossible in a lot of instances.

The names at the bottom take up way too much real estate and on sideways stacking racks, they also misrepresent the credits because what you'll see is "Brian Michael" and "Wade von Graw" or even less than that in most instances.

ScottishGreenLantern
04-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Reduce the Marvel and Number in size. Put the names on one line along the bottom and put the barcode on the back of the comic and this would look much better.

Ashwin Pande
04-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Yeah Tom's right. Even with the appropriate bleed the logo, credits, title and barcode are way too close to the edges.

And yeah credits are usually stacked vertically to showcase all the creators in one row or at the least that's my understanding of it. So all their names can be seen at once.

Akira
04-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I cant speak to things like trim and bleed like Tom and Ashwin can, but as just a plan ol consumer, it doesn't look nearly as astheticly pleasing as the current ones. I actually prefer both the singles and the trades with that border around the cover image. Good attempt though.