PDA

View Full Version : Just to piss off the Disassembled haters...SPOILERS

Angel of Distraction
06-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I was going through deleting old files and came across the review I posted on newsarama for Issue 503. Suck on it. :twisted:

Avengers #502

Brian Michael Bendis
David Finch

“Chaos” has been an uneven read for me so far. I enjoyed part one and was completely indifferent about part two. This issue aims to make me gag right from the cover. Four Avengers, with a caption stating that one will die (with an exclamation point, no less) is an immediate turn-off. Fortunately, the old rule about books and their covers applies here.
The Avengers, their past allies, and Nick Fury, whose appearances are risking reaching the point of over-saturation, discuss what to do about these attacks when their minds are made up for them. A fleet of Kree warships come in on the offensive. The Avengers and their pals fight back, but it’s a losing battle. Cap roughs up a soldier and finds out a little something: the Kree are striking back for some as-yet-unknown betrayal. As the battle escalates and it becomes clear that the toll may be great, Hawkeye shows up loaded for bear and brings all his weaponry down on the Kree. No one man can stand against that for long, though, and Hawkeye is badly wounded. Staggering to the nearest Kree warrior, he grabs hold of him, says he won’t go like this, and hits his rocket pack switch. He then steers them both into the engine of the mothership, killing them both and taking the ship down, causing the rest of the Kree to flee. As Ben demands they recover Hawkeye’s body, Doctor Strange appears, saying he hoped they would recognize the nature of the attacks by now. Something seems to light up in Cap’s mind, but we’ll have to wait for next issue to find out what…
Well. Part of me recognizes the big scene for the heroic Marvel death that it was, and a much smaller part is pissed that Hawkeye is gone. But the real problem with an issue that is otherwise drama on a grand scale is story arc pacing. I know Bendis just came on and that it was always intended to start his run this way, but I would feel better if Bendis had cut his teeth on some preceeding issues first. If he had entrenched his vision of the Avengers in our minds, the events would have more impact. Also, out of the three possible sacrifical lambs on the cover, only one even appears in the issue! Gosh, I wonder who it’ll be? As is, those events in this issue still have a greater effect than those of previous issues, with an excellent battle and an actual cliffhanger as opposed to a commercial break of an ending. On, and Clint went out like a true hero. Hats off.
Of course, the art continues to rate across-the-board 10s. Finch is a shining star in Marvel’s stable, which is a sure bet he’ll sign an exclusive with DC. Until then, we’ll enjoy his work as being among the best.
This is the strongest single issue of Chaos thus far. All that’s left is to see how it all ends.
9 out of 10
A-

R.I.P. Clint Barton

Natty P
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Suck what? I don't get it. Why do you care if they didn't like it.

joeAR
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm liking you more and more every day

anthony the ghost
06-03-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm liking you more and more every day

and im helping keep the scales even. :p

Angel of Distraction
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
and im helping keep the scales even. :p

Balance in all things, my son.