PDA

View Full Version : Support for Snipes from Denzel, Woody, Judge Joe Brown

BENDIS!
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Support for Snipes from Denzel, Woody, Judge Joe Brown
By Anthony Violanti
Star-Banner
Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 1:20 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 3:01 p.m.
Connected Items:
Snipes memo to judge cites probation as 'just punishment'
Related Media:
Snipes Character Reference Letters

OCALA -- Denzel Washington compares Wesley Snipes to a mighty oak tree.

Woody Harrelson views Snipes as a citizen of the world.

Judge Joe Brown casts Snipes as a life traveler serving his fellow man.

It seems hard to believe that a two-fisted, sexy, gun-toting Hollywood action star sounds like a cross between Gandhi and the Mother Teresa.

But, sometimes, that's what it takes to beat doing hard time for a federal tax rap.

Thursday is the first day of the rest of Snipes' legal life, and he needs enough character references to impress Senior U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges into going easy. An Ocala jury in February found the famed actor guilty of three counts of willfully failing to file tax returns. Snipes faces up to three years in federal prison and $5 million or more in fines.

One thing's for sure: Snipes isn't in New Jack City anymore.

This is Ocala and Snipes needs all the help he can get in this sentencing drama. That's where his famous and non-famous friends come in to the picture. They are trying to sway the judge with character references that may help determine if Snipes leaves the Marion County Judicial Center in handcuffs or a limousine. Thirty-one character references were submitted by Snipes' legal team.

Denzel Washington, the Academy Award winning actor, writes that he has known Snipes for 20 years.

"Wesley is like a tree -- a mighty oak. ... Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labors, have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence. I am proud of him, proud to call him a fellow thespian and most importantly, proud to call him a friend."

Actor Woody Harrelson has also known Snipes for more than two decades. He praised Snipes for helping diffuse a tense racial situation with Harrelson and a mostly black cast on the set of the movie "Wildcats."

"Wes took the time to discuss and dissect the issue of racism. ... He strives for rightness in all his relations and I realized early on what a true citizen of the world Wes is. ... it is an honor to call Wes my brother."

TV Judge Joe Brown waxed eloquent about Snipes' humanity, sometimes sounding as if he were writing a law book. Brown repeatedly referred to the actor as "Dr. Snipes," and wrote the actor is: "a traveler on that narrow path traversed by persons who look at the journey through life as an opportunity to deliver service to their fellow man."

Brown admits Snipes has a weakness:

"He means well, but has yet to learn that his dedication and good purpose are not as universal with others as he tends to believe; a fault served up by a basic soundness and goodness of his heart."

Anthony Violanti can be reached at anthony.violanti@starbanner.com or 352-867-4154.

Fake Pat
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
"Wesley is like a tree -- a mighty oak. ... Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labors, have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence. I am proud of him, proud to call him a fellow thespian and most importantly, proud to call him a friend."

Truly one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Way to go Denzel.

Akira
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.wchstv.com/abc/whoselineisit/waynebrady.jpg
"Black actors, man."

schizorabbit
04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Snipes...You mean Mr. Domestic Violence man. What a class act, that guy; beating Halle Berry upside the head when she gave him lip.

Khrutch
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
OCALA -- Denzel Washington compares Wesley Snipes to a mighty oak tree.

Woody Harrelson views Snipes as a citizen of the world.

Judge Joe Brown casts Snipes as a life traveler serving his fellow man.

"Snipes, someone who didn't pay his taxes and got busted for it" - TFK

Jim T.
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.wchstv.com/abc/whoselineisit/waynebrady.jpg
"Black actors, man."

:D

NickT
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
"Wesley is like a tree -- a mighty oak"
A fair point. When did you last hear of a tree filing tax returns?

A.Huerta
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzC4r3faG0

costello
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
A fair point. When did you last hear of a tree filing tax returns?

The last I knew tax returns filed him.

Can all of his friends just chip in $ and help pay the taxes he owes?

Slewo.O
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM

But then that would defeat the point of the government getting extra cash out of him.

schizorabbit
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Denzel: "Bitch, whatcha think you doin' staring at my wallet?"
Wesley: "Yo, bro', I just wanted to.--"
Denzel: "Don't even think about it."
Wesley turns to Judge Joe.
Judge Joe: "You seriously don't even want to go there."
Wesley turns to Woody, who's eyes are all bloodshot. He coughs a huge cloud of smoke.
Wesley: "Hey, bro."
Woody, after a few beats, holds out his bong..."Huh? You wanna hit?"

Thudpucker
04-24-2008, 01:23 PM
No sympathy for something that stupid. He really thought the IRS wouldn't notice?

arthurloewenkamp
04-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I really don't see why they should make an example out of him. There's a lot of richer guys who cheat the government out of a lot more. Giving him three years for this is dumb.

Smokinblues
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I really don't see why they should make an example out of him. There's a lot of richer guys who cheat the government out of a lot more. Giving him three years for this is dumb.
No it's not. He did the crime, no reason not to give him the time.