PDA

View Full Version : Comic book superstar Brian Michael Bendis chats with Geoff Johns and Jim Lee

Maestro
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Now for an interesting roundtable discussion from Wizard:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/042108triplethreatint.html

If you could collaborate with each other, what would be the dream project?
BENDIS: Well…I want to do Avengers with Geoff. I think that Geoff needs to do Avengers again. I would like to collaborate with him like that.
JOHNS: I'd love to do that. That would be awesome.
BENDIS: And I would like the three of us—and I'm not starting sh-- again, I promise you that’s not why I'm saying this—but I'd love if the three of us could create an inter-company crossover event. The next logical step, if there were no rules or laws, would be for us to create the greatest inter-company multi-tiered 12-issue crossover that has ever existed on the planet. So that's what I want. "Only that."
LEE: And I'd like to draw one issue of that. [Laughter]
BENDIS: Oh great, it doesn’t exist and it's already late.

nick maynard
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
i read a ton of interviews, but that was really an amazing interview.

only way it could have been better is if it was a video interview.

Simps
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
My problem with an inter-company crossover is that while it can be fun, at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything. And I know that sounds like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, but if such talented guys like this came together on a project, I want it to have lasting repercussions, and I don't think that would be possible with something like this.

Joe Henderson
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
My problem with an inter-company crossover is that while it can be fun, at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything. And I know that sounds like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, but if such talented guys like this came together on a project, I want it to have lasting repercussions, and I don't think that would be possible with something like this.

Yeah, I'd rather see a creator swap--Bendis and Maleev on Batman, and Johns and Van Sciver on Avengers or something. Do a 6 issue creator swap. It lets your talent play with characters they may have been itching to without leaving the company. Get it out of their system, so to speak.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM

See, and I'm the exact opposite, as all I care about is if it's a good story. As a matter of fact, I'd rather it had no repercussions at all.

Jerome Gibbons
04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Marvel and DC really should start doing intercompany crossovers again, featuring superstar creators teams like Jim Lee and Bendis. It would be very profitable for the both of them. They could even substitute their yearly event comics for a crossover or something, really hype it up and sell it to the public. I think it would do well.

JLA/New Avengers, the best selling books from each company, or even another silly little Marvel vs. DC thing. Whatever. It would be swell for both.

Jerome Gibbons
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
This picture is funny to me.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wizarduniverse_1999_499139345

Simps
04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
See, and I'm the exact opposite, as all I care about is if it's a good story. As a matter of fact, I'd rather it had no repercussions at all.
Part of what both Bendis and Johns do so well is weaving a great tapestry from past stories, and that sort of project goes in the face of that. Setting up small subplots or character moments that come back in a big way years down the road. I'm not saying they couldn't put together a heck of a fun story, but I think doing this one-off thing not connected to the previous stuff they've done is a waste of their talents.

danlomb
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
fantastic stuff. candid, but honest and informative.

way to go guys

nick maynard
04-21-2008, 11:05 PM

i mostly agree, but we're kidding ourselves if we think a bendis/johns/lee book wouldn't be the greatest thing of all time ever. it could be a millie the model / beppo the supermonkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppo_%28comics%29) crossover and it would still be solid gold.

VonDoom
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Very entertaining and informative interview. And yeah, Bendis/Johns/Lee on something would be pretty sweet.

BENDIS!
04-21-2008, 11:28 PM
i'm glad they put this online.

Zac Goyette
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I really enjoyed the article. It was my favorite piece in the whole magazine.

GreenDuckie1972
05-13-2008, 04:58 AM
I dug it as well...coulda been a little more insightful...but decent.